PDA

View Full Version : Which iPhone for DD - 7, XR, or SE (2020)

elbert
06-29-2020, 09:07 AM
Finally thinking about getting DD an iPhone. We're not into all the bells and whistles and just replace mine when the battery is too run down to get me through the day or it's no longer supported (I think my current one is a 7-plus), so I don't follow all the "latest and greatest" news on these phones - and I can never figure out what's needed, what's obsolete, etc.

Looking at the Verizon website, it seems like the following three options are free or near-free ($5/month) if we add the device to our plan: the 7, the XR, and the SE (2020)?

Any thoughts on the best route to go? She doesn't have a preference (as long as it's an iPhone since group FaceTimes have been the lifeline during the past few months and have become the norm). I assume any of the three options above should meet her/our needs and we don't need to go beyond that?

Thanks in advance to all you informed folks!

mm123
06-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Finally thinking about getting DD an iPhone. We're not into all the bells and whistles and just replace mine when the battery is too run down to get me through the day or it's no longer supported (I think my current one is a 7-plus), so I don't follow all the "latest and greatest" news on these phones - and I can never figure out what's needed, what's obsolete, etc.

Looking at the Verizon website, it seems like the following three options are free or near-free ($5/month) if we add the device to our plan: the 7, the XR, and the SE (2020)?

Any thoughts on the best route to go? She doesn't have a preference (as long as it's an iPhone since group FaceTimes have been the lifeline during the past few months and have become the norm). I assume any of the three options above should meet her/our needs and we don't need to go beyond that?

Phone wise, your family sounds similar to ours- DH and I don’t replace our iPhones until they die, and we both are still happy with our 8’s. We recently got DD1 an iphone 7, and it works perfectly for her needs- watching YouTube and Netflix, facetime, texting and what’s app with her friends, etc. And also only costing us about $5 per month.

SnuggleBuggles
06-29-2020, 09:25 AM
My ds1 has an original SE and the plan was always to get him and ds2 the new SE when it came out. Well, ds2 goes no where now so doesn't need a phone at the moment. And ds1 said he's fine with his cracked phone. They both really prefer the smaller size.

eta- I have Verizon. Dh and ds1 have T-Mobile. They pay about the same for 2 phone plans as I do one. I only keep Verizon because for a long time it was more reliable. Now it is no better. SHop around a bit.

khm
06-29-2020, 12:56 PM

If they are all the same price, I think I'd get the XR. The 7 is getting pretty old to buy now and I prefer the larger size of the XR. Unless they want the smaller size, if so, I'd get the SE over the 7.

bisous
06-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Of those, I’ve only had the 7. I loved mine and it lasted forever. I even washed it in a load of laundry and it still worked for over a year before I traded in for an 11pro.

bisous
06-29-2020, 01:09 PM
Of those, I’ve only had the 7. I loved mine and it lasted forever. I even washed it in a load of laundry and it still worked for over a year before I traded in for an 11pro.

AnnieW625
06-29-2020, 01:15 PM
Dd1 and I both have XRs. We were going to get Dd an iPhone 7 over a year ago (when the 6 she has finally died) and the guy at the Apple store said they were getting more complaints about it then. The price on the XR wasn’t that much different than the 8 so we bought the second newest model; the Apple guy also discouraged from getting the XS because of the all glass background. The SE hadn’t been updated then either in quite a while then. With all of that said the SE is up to date and the price is really good so for a teen that is probably the phone I would get because it is the most up to date model. Dh may even get one when his (almost 2 year old) 8 dies only because he loves the home button (although the SE is smaller than his 8 Plus and he loves the bigger screen)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
06-29-2020, 01:16 PM
I would not get the 7 just because it is older and you will want it to last and be supported for a long time. I would let her choose if she wants the larger or smaller option. I much prefer smaller phones so I would get the SE, but many other people like big phones.

DualvansMommy
06-29-2020, 01:17 PM
If they are all the same price, I think I'd get the XR. The 7 is getting pretty old to buy now and I prefer the larger size of the XR. Unless they want the smaller size, if so, I'd get the SE over the 7.

This is what I’m going to suggest, especially if either option is free to add besides the phone line. I have XR that I bought last summer, I expect this phone to last me solid 5 years. My work phone is 7 and it’s fine for my purpose, rarely use it as only whenever I’m with clients or communicate with my colleagues outside of office. 7/8 wont be supported for long, so if it’s a phone you plan to keep for long time. Get either SE over 7 or XR If want larger screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Melaine
06-29-2020, 01:17 PM
I don’t know how old she is but I always advocate for a non smart phone for a teen :-)

AnnieW625
06-29-2020, 02:14 PM
I don’t know how old she is but I always advocate for a non smart phone for a teen :-)

I was too, but honestly the smart phone part of the phone has been okay for us. My Dd1 (14) started taking the city bus (there is no school bus) home from school in 7th grade so if I wanted I could use the find my phone function to track her while on the bus ride home.

Also by the time my Dd1 got her phone two years ago at 12 no one had flip phones at all, and Dd1 had Dh’s old iPhone 6 for over a year so the phone was free. Also if we have to take it away at home due to too much screen time we do. Now for Dd2 there is a huge chance I will need screen time reports for her on a daily basis, and would prefer a non smart phone for her, but I think that is going to be easier said than done based on what Dd1 got at 12, and iPhone. Even my parents finally got Motorola smart phones this year and are using them. My parents are 69, and 68.

zukeypur
06-29-2020, 02:53 PM
We just switched from Verizon prepaid to regular and got 4 free SE’s. I like my XR, so we are saving one of the SE’s just in case someone looses or breaks theirs, and I will continue to use my XR. I tried to talk DH into the XR (he had a 7) but he chose free over XR.

calebsmama03
06-30-2020, 10:27 PM
I have a 7 and it’s been great but it is old. Don’t get the 7- for for the newer hardware. Either SE2020 or XR depending on size preference.

elbenn
06-30-2020, 10:36 PM
I think most kids would prefer the XR because it is bigger.

zukeypur
07-01-2020, 10:10 AM
I think most kids would prefer the XR because it is bigger.
My kids actually prefer the SE because it’s smaller