PDA

View Full Version : Best ear plugs for swimming

Melaine
06-30-2020, 05:36 PM
We need some really good ear plugs for DS. We tried Macs and they popped right out! Are there other ways of making them stay in? Or other recs?

mom2binsd
06-30-2020, 06:05 PM
I've never had to have kids wear ear plugs, but would he wear a swim cap, like kids from swim team. Silicone ones are easier to put on than latex.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2020, 06:06 PM
You couldn't get the moldable wax kind to stay in? They're tricky to figure out what will work for each individual's ear canal.

The only other tip I can offer is to top everything with a silicone swim cap, pulled down over your child's ears. The cap will fit tightly enough to keep the putty plugs in the ear, but if they come loose at all, the cap will also reduce the amount of water that gets inside. It's not perfect, and he may balk, but if you're using the plugs to reduce the possibility of ear infections, he'll have to look like Michael Phelps for a while to prevent that.

lizzywednesday
06-30-2020, 06:08 PM
I've never had to have kids wear ear plugs, but would he wear a swim cap, like kids from swim team. Silicone ones are easier to put on than latex.

I've used plugs and they're tough to get the hang of and are rather ineffective, IMO, if you follow the instructions, which basically tell you not to stick it into the ear canal, just mold it over the opening.

Unfortunately, you have to mold it in such a way that it does protrude into the canal but also seals the opening, and this is hard to do.

Topping the plugs with a silicone cap will give you the best protection.

MSWR0319
06-30-2020, 06:32 PM
I don't know the cost, but my friend is an audiologist and she told me she does custom ear plugs. Not sure if they're any more effective either though!

Liziz
06-30-2020, 09:12 PM
Did you get the kid size Macs? DD used to need them, and when they were first recommended I bought adult ones by mistake and they did not work well. When I then got the kid size, it make a huge difference. We did really need to warm them up in our hands and mold them to the ear -- just sticking them in definitely doesn't work.

StantonHyde
07-01-2020, 12:00 AM
For open water swimming, I use the wax kind and just smash them in the canal/over the canal. Then I put on a latex cap and go. They will stay in for a 40 minute non stop swim. Helps with not feeling so dizzy when I get out as well as helping me feel warmer--no freezing water in my ears!