PDA

View Full Version : Masks for school - what to get

KrisM
07-01-2020, 09:04 AM
I know there are a few mask threads already. We all have some and they are fine. However, my kids will most likely be required to wear them on the bus and all day at school in the fall. I am thinking they will want one for before and one for after lunch, just so they feel a little fresh. DS2 might also want one just for PE class if he has that. And if we do have extra curricular activities going on, I will assume a mask is needed then too. So maybe at least 10-15 per kid? Then wash them on the weekends.

I can't just keep trying them out finding which is best for them. And I don't want to buy $15 masks and spend $700 on these. Should I just get them each a couple of boxes of disposables? A box of 50 is $25 or so and at 2/day, that's 5 weeks.

I was thinking maybe the Old Navy masks? Those are pretty inexpensive. Or I just read about the Hanes masks and I can look at Meijer tomorrow for those.

Anyhow, for every day use by pre-teen and teens, what would you get?

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2020, 09:06 AM
Are face shields allowed? That would likely be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

KrisM
07-01-2020, 09:10 AM
It doesn't appear that they are, even by teachers. It says "facial coverings" and says homemade or surgical level-one masks. No mention of a face shield at all.

carolinacool
07-01-2020, 09:49 AM
We don't know yet if we'll need masks. However, I'm thinking disposables might be comfortable for all day. I wore one for 2.5 hours when I got my hair done, and I'm not sure a fabric one would have been as comfortable for that long. DS saw someone wearing a disposable the other day and said he wanted one. The adult versions are too big, but the kid ones i see on Amazon seem too small (and have bad reviews). I might need to get some ear adjusters and have him try the adult.

We have the Old Navy kids masks, but they are slightly too small. And the adult is too big. I just ordered from an Etsy seller who's advertising a tween size, so I hope they work.

I'm not considering face shields. I don't think they would be ideal for PE or sports.

Dayzy
07-01-2020, 10:11 AM
I saw an ad on FB for Crayola masks. There are 5 in the pack. Instead of the elastic ear loop it has stings held together by an adjustable clip and there's a nose clip also. I thought the adjustable ear straps would be good to have for a custom fit.

Kindra178
07-01-2020, 10:19 AM
I really like the aviator ones recommended here and random vela ones I got from a social ad.

I got my kids the mission gaiters for school. They can wear around their neck so less like to touch the floor or get lost.

Speaking of lost, my kids have lost so many masks and they have barely been anywhere.

wencit
07-01-2020, 10:31 AM
DH, DS1 (14 years old), and I all prefer these masks: https://www.all-ett.com/products/a-pack-of-2-masks

Although they're not cheap, they are the comfiest masks we have. I also own the Old Navy ones, and they're fine, but we all prefer the All-Ett masks. They have a very strong nose wire, so they stay in place. DH says they don't fog his glasses like the Old Navy ones do. They don't "collapse" when we breathe. I've gone on 2 hour walks wearing my All-Ett mask and felt totally fine. Sometimes I completely forget that I have it on.

We only own 5, so I plan to order more. If we send DS1 back to school in the fall, he will definitely want to wear these.

MSWR0319
07-01-2020, 10:48 AM
I’ve got some coming from Adidas to try for DS. They’re supposed to be lightweight and breathable. I’ll post back when they get here. They’re fairly reasonable and if they work I’ll get more of those.

wencit
07-01-2020, 10:55 AM
KrisM, if you're considering disposable masks for your kids, I just saw this on Woot. $129.99 for a pack of 500 (26 cents per mask). That would last you a loooong time!

https://tools.woot.com/offers/face-masks-pack-of-500z?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app&fbclid=IwAR2vfm8C_GpTWz99vSofeRGChu0FzF0L0VMl1wfAP Pxz18z3WcolsiJ9ILA

ang79
07-01-2020, 11:13 AM
Not sure if they will be required for school here yet. So far the girls each have a mask I made them, a mask from bGreen (which they like, but I feel like its too thin to be of much protection), and the ON ones. DD2 (11) can wear the ON kids one, but I don't think she would like it for a whole day, I think the ear straps are slightly too small. The kid version is too small for DD1 (13) and the adult version is too big, though I haven't tried shortening the straps to see if that helps. I have been wearing the ON ones when I go out shopping and they are OK for short amounts of time, but I don't know if I would like them all day. I also have Los Angeles Apparel ones that I like the fit on but the fabric seems hot in the summer. I just ordered the 2 for $4 ones from Target (couldn't find them in store), a set of adult and a set of kid ones to try. They should be here by end of week. If masks are required at school my girls have asked about the Disney ones (of course they really only want Baby Yoda).

carolinamama
07-01-2020, 11:20 AM
DH, DS1 (14 years old), and I all prefer these masks: https://www.all-ett.com/products/a-pack-of-2-masks

Although they're not cheap, they are the comfiest masks we have. I also own the Old Navy ones, and they're fine, but we all prefer the All-Ett masks. They have a very strong nose wire, so they stay in place. DH says they don't fog his glasses like the Old Navy ones do. They don't "collapse" when we breathe. I've gone on 2 hour walks wearing my All-Ett mask and felt totally fine. Sometimes I completely forget that I have it on.

We only own 5, so I plan to order more. If we send DS1 back to school in the fall, he will definitely want to wear these.

I second the All-Ett masks. These were the first I bought months ago. It could have even been on wencit's recommendation. They are DH's favorite but too big for my face. I wish they had a size in between the kids and adult but I'm going to order some kids to see how they compare. Hopefully they will fit someone!

KrisM
07-01-2020, 11:32 AM

What size did you get for a 14 year old? Adult?

DD (14) has one she made and one from Meijer and her biggest complaint is not being able to see well looking down, so I think a nose wire is necessary for her for sure. And well fitting.

I'm worried about the comfort on the ears too. If I don't drive them to school, it'll be 7am to 3:30pm in a mask, less lunch for 20 minutes. That is a long time. We will be practicing and working up to it in August, I am sure.

KrisM
07-01-2020, 11:33 AM
KrisM, if you're considering disposable masks for your kids, I just saw this on Woot. $129.99 for a pack of 500 (26 cents per mask). That would last you a loooong time!

https://tools.woot.com/offers/face-masks-pack-of-500z?utm_medium=share&utm_source=app&fbclid=IwAR2vfm8C_GpTWz99vSofeRGChu0FzF0L0VMl1wfAP Pxz18z3WcolsiJ9ILA

Thanks! I'm considering this. I feel like they might be more comfortable than cloth. I don't know.

NCGrandma
07-01-2020, 11:45 AM

I may have to give these a try. I’m particularly interested in your comment that they don’t collapse. I’ve been wearing some from Sweaty Bands, which I really like. (They are 2-layer polyester and they seem less hot than all cotton in our hot/humid season.) However, now that they’ve been washed a number of times, the fabric has gotten a little softer and is starting to collapse, especially when I’m talking.

https://www.sweatybands.com/collections/face-masks-first

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wencit
07-01-2020, 11:51 AM
I second the All-Ett masks. These were the first I bought months ago. It could have even been on wencit's recommendation. They are DH's favorite but too big for my face. I wish they had a size in between the kids and adult but I'm going to order some kids to see how they compare. Hopefully they will fit someone!

What size did you get for a 14 year old? Adult?

DD (14) has one she made and one from Meijer and her biggest complaint is not being able to see well looking down, so I think a nose wire is necessary for her for sure. And well fitting.

I'm worried about the comfort on the ears too. If I don't drive them to school, it'll be 7am to 3:30pm in a mask, less lunch for 20 minutes. That is a long time. We will be practicing and working up to it in August, I am sure. Regarding the size, I bought the adult ones because that's all they offered at the time. I didn't read the instructions very carefully and accidentally put them through the dryer on high heat the first time I cleaned them. I've since read that this may shrink them. They fit me and DS1 (14) just fine, but DH did mention yesterday that they pulled on his ears somewhat. So carolinamama, maybe you could try that and see if they fit your face better?

mom2binsd
07-01-2020, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure you want them taking off, storing them, etc. Then you are storing a "dirty" mask. I am reading this thread with my mask that I started wearing on Monday, it's Wed, and I put it in a paper bag at work when I leave and use a different mask when out in the community. I have been doing this for months. I can't afford to just wear a mask for a half a day, and I much prefer a surgical mask vs cloth mask.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bisous
07-01-2020, 12:29 PM
The research that I’ve read seems to indicate that surgical masks are more protective? Or maybe just that more testing has been done? I ordered pediatric surgical masks for my littles. Now I want to order some for me, DH and my big kids!

jgenie
07-01-2020, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure you want them taking off, storing them, etc. Then you are storing a "dirty" mask. I am reading this thread with my mask that I started wearing on Monday, it's Wed, and I put it in a paper bag at work when I leave and use a different mask when out in the community. I have been doing this for months. I can't afford to just wear a mask for a half a day, and I much prefer a surgical mask vs cloth mask.

Would you mind linking to the type of mask you’ve been using?

KrisM
07-01-2020, 12:42 PM

I'm sorry, I'm not following. Are you saying they should or should not store them? You are storing and using over and over, but are suggesting we don't do that? I think I am misunderstanding.

The info for the state says disposable masks need to be disposed of each day and cloth masks need to be washed each day. So, they can't keep one in a locker for the week. They will have to take it off and store it short term to eat lunch. I was thinking it would be easier to put 2 bags into their lunches - one empty that they put the old one in and one with a new/clean mask in it for after lunch. They can bring both bags home and we'd toss or wash the used mask.

ett
07-01-2020, 02:28 PM
We don't know yet if we'll need masks. However, I'm thinking disposables might be comfortable for all day. I wore one for 2.5 hours when I got my hair done, and I'm not sure a fabric one would have been as comfortable for that long. DS saw someone wearing a disposable the other day and said he wanted one. The adult versions are too big, but the kid ones i see on Amazon seem too small (and have bad reviews). I might need to get some ear adjusters and have him try the adult.

We have the Old Navy kids masks, but they are slightly too small. And the adult is too big. I just ordered from an Etsy seller who's advertising a tween size, so I hope they work.

I'm not considering face shields. I don't think they would be ideal for PE or sports.

The adult disposable masks are slightly too big on DS2, so I tied a knot at the end of the elastic for a tighter fit.

wencit
07-01-2020, 04:34 PM
The research that I’ve read seems to indicate that surgical masks are more protective? Or maybe just that more testing has been done? I ordered pediatric surgical masks for my littles. Now I want to order some for me, DH and my big kids! I'm curious, where are you buying surgical masks? None of the disposable masks I find say they are surgical. They seem to be 3-ply paper masks that are simply disposable, not necessarily as protective as a surgical mask.

Way before the pandemic started, I bought some anti-viral disposable face masks at Target. I vaguely remember reading on the box that they had some protective properties (they blocked such-and-such size particles), so perhaps they were the same kind of surgical masks that medical staff use? Of course, they're no longer available anywhere. Here is what the box looked like:

I'm just wondering if people are using the terms "disposable" and "surgical" interchangeably? Or if I'm missing out, and people are really able to buy surgical masks?

KrisM
07-01-2020, 04:58 PM
I'm re-reading Michigan's plan. It says "Facial coverings may be homemade or disposable level-one (basic) grade surgical masks."

I don't know how particular they are going to be. But, that means no store-bought cloth mask as well as no disposable without the ASTM Level 1 designation. That will be difficult, I would think.

icunurse
07-01-2020, 05:05 PM
I'm re-reading Michigan's plan. It says "Facial coverings may be homemade or disposable level-one (basic) grade surgical masks."

I don't know how particular they are going to be. But, that means no store-bought cloth mask as well as no disposable without the ASTM Level 1 designation. That will be difficult, I would think.

I’d check with your school. I think if they accept homemade, they will accept store bought. Also, any cheap “surgical” mask typically has a Level 1 designation. That’s about all that is out there to purchase right now.

I have been stocking up on masks for the four of us. Hanes, Target has kids masks, Etsy. I just purchased some Bloch masks for Dd for dance, but haven’t received them yet. I wouldn’t depend on surgical masks, honestly. I wear a Level 2 at work and it’s a mess after one day. You’re going to be tossing them out every day after school.

KrisM
07-01-2020, 05:13 PM
I’d check with your school. I think if they accept homemade, they will accept store bought. Also, any cheap “surgical” mask typically has a Level 1 designation. That’s about all that is out there to purchase right now.

I have been stocking up on masks for the four of us. Hanes, Target has kids masks, Etsy. I just purchased some Bloch masks for Dd for dance, but haven’t received them yet. I wouldn’t depend on surgical masks, honestly. I wear a Level 2 at work and it’s a mess after one day. You’re going to be tossing them out every day after school.

All we have are the state guidelines right now. I don't know when we'll get more info from our district.

The masks I have don't have a surgical designation at all.

mom2binsd
07-01-2020, 05:19 PM
Well, yes, we store them and use them over and over, hospitals, nursing home etc. It's not what we usually did, but with probably wearing them for the next 6 months we will never have enough if we throw them out after each use. So yes, we all store them in a paper bag.

We just use the standard surgical mask, with the wire for the nose.

Old rules for use of PPE has gone out the window.

If folks want to fheie out after each use, that is up to them, but you will burn through then quickly, which is also why we try not to as there is still a shortage and delay in getting PPE, and with the spike, only going to get worse.

ett
07-01-2020, 06:30 PM

If those are the exact words from the plan it says "may" not "must". I interpret this as homemade masks are fine and you don't need store bought ones, not that only homemade are allowed. And I would think any kind of disposable masks should be fine.

ett
07-01-2020, 06:33 PM
I'm curious, where are you buying surgical masks? None of the disposable masks I find say they are surgical. They seem to be 3-ply paper masks that are simply disposable, not necessarily as protective as a surgical mask.

Way before the pandemic started, I bought some anti-viral disposable face masks at Target. I vaguely remember reading on the box that they had some protective properties (they blocked such-and-such size particles), so perhaps they were the same kind of surgical masks that medical staff use? Of course, they're no longer available anywhere. Here is what the box looked like:

I'm just wondering if people are using the terms "disposable" and "surgical" interchangeably? Or if I'm missing out, and people are really able to buy surgical masks?

I've seen various descriptions online with terms "non-medical", "medical", and "surgical", and they all seem very similar to me. I was looking at 2 listings, 1 says non-medical and the other medical and they both pretty much have the same description for the different layers of the mask.

wencit
07-01-2020, 06:52 PM
I've seen various descriptions online with terms "non-medical", "medical", and "surgical", and they all seem very similar to me. I was looking at 2 listings, 1 says non-medical and the other medical and they both pretty much have the same description for the different layers of the mask. It's all so confusing and misleading, isn't it?

boilermakermom
07-02-2020, 11:34 AM
Has anyone found a good tween size mask? DD (age 12) is petite, so teen sizes are too big for her. I am looking for both disposable and washable ones for her but I am not having any luck.

Mommy_Mea
07-02-2020, 11:37 AM
I really love the mama seamstress masks, but they tend to run big (like I can wear the kids size, my 8 to can wear the toddler). I wonder if a kid size would be the right fit?
Has anyone found a good tween size mask? DD (age 12) is petite, so teen sizes are too big for her. I am looking for both disposable and washable ones for her but I am not having any luck.

bisous
07-02-2020, 11:45 AM
I'm curious, where are you buying surgical masks? None of the disposable masks I find say they are surgical. They seem to be 3-ply paper masks that are simply disposable, not necessarily as protective as a surgical mask.

Oh I don’t know! That was the search term I used for amazon and that’s what I bought! I assumed it was the 3ply folded nature and the fit that made them effective. I heard about a study that showed good protection against spreading viral particles from the Science Vs. podcast. I honestly don’t know if mine are “real” surgical masks or if that’s a thing?

Twin Mom
07-02-2020, 12:09 PM
I’ve got some coming from Adidas to try for DS. They’re supposed to be lightweight and breathable. I’ll post back when they get here. They’re fairly reasonable and if they work I’ll get more of those.

i ordered some for DS too. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow even though their website showed shipping delays. I ordered them on Tuesday.

gymnbomb
07-02-2020, 12:20 PM
I really love the mama seamstress masks, but they tend to run big (like I can wear the kids size, my 8 to can wear the toddler). I wonder if a kid size would be the right fit?

I have also found the round shaped mama seamstress masks run large. This morning I wore a kid sized dinosaur print one that I ordered for my son but it was too big for him. I can also wear the smaller adult size, though it is a little big. The kid size would probably be great for a petite 12 year old.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
07-02-2020, 01:04 PM
i ordered some for DS too. They are supposed to arrive tomorrow even though their website showed shipping delays. I ordered them on Tuesday.

Can you post how they work? Ours are arriving as well tomorrow but we are at the lake. As goofy as it sounds, I'm kinda excited to get them and hope they fit him well. I think they must be shipping in batches or something because I ordered ours last early last week and they shipped yesterday.

carolinacool
07-02-2020, 01:18 PM

I'm having the same issue with my 10-year-old DS. The small, round Mama Seamstress mask fits him well, but I think it's a bit warm, especially now that we're moving into summer. I wore mine yesterday for the first time in three weeks, and my face got pretty hot. It is easy to breathe through, though.

I just ordered from a store on Etsy that was advertising tween sizes. These are the pleated style. I'll let you know if they fit and seem suited for warmer weather.

I'm also interested to hear more about the Adidas masks. I saw a photo of some kids wearing them at an AAU basketball game this weekend (outside, but not during the game).

essnce629
07-02-2020, 03:50 PM
Has anyone found a good tween size mask? DD (age 12) is petite, so teen sizes are too big for her. I am looking for both disposable and washable ones for her but I am not having any luck.The MamaSeamstress small round masks fit my 11 year old DS2 perfectly. He has 2 so far.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk

KrisM
07-02-2020, 05:02 PM
If those are the exact words from the plan it says "may" not "must". I interpret this as homemade masks are fine and you don't need store bought ones, not that only homemade are allowed. And I would think any kind of disposable masks should be fine.

Yeah, I finally figured that out as well. I was completely misunderstanding it. That's good.

marinkitty
07-03-2020, 02:57 PM
I just got a package of the Sweaty Bands ones - they are nice but BE SURE you are getting the S/M size. I thought all the ones I ordered were, but two of the ones we received are clearly larger and only fit DH not me or any of the kids (even the 6'1" rising sophomore). Luckily most came in the small size I intended to buy. No wire, but fit is decent and they seem easy to breath through compared to our cotton weave fabric ones.

"

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 03:14 PM
I just got a package of the Sweaty Bands ones - they are nice but BE SURE you are getting the S/M size. I thought all the ones I ordered were, but two of the ones we received are clearly larger and only fit DH not me or any of the kids (even the 6'1" rising sophomore). Luckily most came in the small size I intended to buy. No wire, but fit is decent and they seem easy to breath through compared to our cotton weave fabric ones.

"

The sweaty band ones have been my favorite of all the ones I’ve ordered and tried.

NCGrandma
07-03-2020, 04:05 PM
The sweaty band ones have been my favorite of all the ones I’ve ordered and tried.

I previously liked the organic cotton BGREEN masks but as the weather has gotten hotter, I really find the fabric on the Sweaty Bands masks much more comfortable.

One caution: they now have a couple of styles. The original style (called "first") does not have any wire etc but it has good coverage and very comfy. The newer style ("fresh") does have a plastic nose clip thingy but is a bit shorter nose-to-chin. I haven’t had the fresh one long enough to be sure which I prefer. And now I see they have an additional new style ("extra") which is only a single layer, unlike the others.

Anyway, like PZMommy, these are my current favorites. My only objection is, when people comment on them and ask where they can order some, i kind of cringe when I reply Sweaty Bands! [emoji1]

PZMommy
07-03-2020, 05:02 PM
I previously liked the organic cotton BGREEN masks but as the weather has gotten hotter, I really find the fabric on the Sweaty Bands masks much more comfortable.

One caution: they now have a couple of styles. The original style (called "first") does not have any wire etc but it has good coverage and very comfy. The newer style ("fresh") does have a plastic nose clip thingy but is a bit shorter nose-to-chin. I haven’t had the fresh one long enough to be sure which I prefer. And now I see they have an additional new style ("extra") which is only a single layer, unlike the others.

Anyway, like PZMommy, these are my current favorites. My only objection is, when people comment on them and ask where they can order some, i kind of cringe when I reply Sweaty Bands! [emoji1]

Thanks for the heads up. I originally ordered mine back in April and they only had a few patterns to choose from. I just went and ordered a few more. I got a couple of each to see which ones I like best. I think the “extra” type will be perfect for my car when I go through the drive though. I prefer the thicker ones for grocery shopping.

jgenie
07-03-2020, 10:43 PM
SweatyBands are currently 25% off with code Sparkle.

diamond
07-04-2020, 12:15 AM
What is this round shaped mama seamstress everybody is talking about where do I find the store in the masks by them

ett
07-04-2020, 01:18 AM
What is this round shaped mama seamstress everybody is talking about where do I find the store in the masks by them

https://www.etsy.com/listing/794191425/reusable-face-masks-3-in-1-100-cotton?ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

MSWR0319
07-04-2020, 11:30 AM
DS is 11.5 and loves the adidas masks. I got him a L and may have been able to get the smaller size, but this one fully covers his face and doesn't seem too big. I'm going to order another set for him.

Kindra178
07-04-2020, 04:32 PM
DS is 11.5 and loves the adidas masks. I got him a L and may have been able to get the smaller size, but this one fully covers his face and doesn't seem too big. I'm going to order another set for him.

I think they are back ordered! Let me know.

MSWR0319
07-04-2020, 04:55 PM
I think they are back ordered! Let me know.

I was able to order the blue color in M/L for DS1 and then also got a pack to try on DS2 in blue. They were sold out in both sizes in black.

Twin Mom
07-04-2020, 10:38 PM
DS likes the blue adidas masks too. We got the Xs/s. There is a tip on measuring to see which size will work best.

NCGrandma
07-04-2020, 11:03 PM
Since this thread is about masks for school ... here’s DGD2's idea of a good mask! It certainly gets lots of awwwws when they pick up takeout!

I’m not sure it’s this exact vendor but I know my family got it on Etsy.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/806982835/kids-filter-pocket-mask-bag-set-kids-cat?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=kids+kitty+face+mask&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&organic_search_click=1&pro=1&frs=1

Twin Mom
07-04-2020, 11:17 PM
How can you tell what size they are? I don’t see sizes listed.

"

NCGrandma
07-04-2020, 11:54 PM

If you’re asking about the Sweaty Bands masks, I’ve ordered from them a couple of times and there were no size options on almost all the styles. They have one or 2 styles, i think, that are clearly labeled XL, but all the others are the same "one size" adult size.

OOOPS, and since my order last week, they now have a few styles clearly labeled YOUTH. Obviously a moving target!

PZMommy
07-05-2020, 12:24 AM

The newer ones don’t have sizes, as they have adjustable ear straps. The first ones they came out with had different sizes and were not adjustable.

dogmom
07-05-2020, 02:15 PM
The mask I wear at home has a generous amount of fabric, slightly fan folded, thin, not that stretchy elastic for ear looks. They hang loose around the ears and the coverage is done by the size of the mask. There is a small plastic piece about 3 inches that is moldable to the nose that keeps my glasses from fogging. I keep I stash of my used disposable ones from work in my car that I am willing to give out if they look clean and I haven’t worn them for 3 days. My plan for kids is to have 3 masks for the fall. One will hand on the hook by the door, one will be in their backpack that I will have them keep there. They can put in on when they are gong to the bus and put it back in the backpack when they get home. There will be an extra in their bedroom. There will be a stash of disposable ones in each vehicle for if we get them to the bus stop and we realize they don’t have their mask on. (The bust stop is 3/4 of a mile way. We are lazy and drive in the am.)

carolinamama
07-05-2020, 02:41 PM
If we go back to school, my plan for our kids is 3 masks for the school day. One for the morning, one for after lunch and a backup in case one falls on the floor etc. Instead of figuring out how to store a mask safely while eating, it will be easier for them to stuff the morning mask in a "dirty" bag and have a clean one for the afternoon. I'm also planning to keep a few disposable masks in their bags just in case.

The boys are good with the MamaSeamstress and All-ett masks. DD loves some from etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/792526248/kids-7-11-100-cotton-4-layer-comfortable?ref=yr_purchases

ang79
07-05-2020, 05:06 PM
I got a the Target masks. The adult small fits DH but was loose on me. The kid size is too big for my 11 yr. old and my 13 yr. old didn’t like how it fit. I can wear the kid mask for short trips (longer than that and I think the ear straps would bother me).

I was really hoping the Target 2/$4 sets or the Ild Navy ones would work well for the girls and I since the price is so great. They are ok for short amounts of time but I don’t think all day at school if they need them for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myira
07-05-2020, 05:26 PM
If we go back to school, my plan for our kids is 3 masks for the school day. One for the morning, one for after lunch and a backup in case one falls on the floor etc. Instead of figuring out how to store a mask safely while eating, it will be easier for them to stuff the morning mask in a "dirty" bag and have a clean one for the afternoon. I'm also planning to keep a few disposable masks in their bags just in case.

The boys are good with the MamaSeamstress and All-ett masks. DD loves some from etsy https://www.etsy.com/listing/792526248/kids-7-11-100-cotton-4-layer-comfortable?ref=yr_purchases

Thanks for the link, I ordered it for DD and also to another poster that posted the adidas link, hoping these work out fit wise for the kids.

MSWR0319
07-05-2020, 08:49 PM

Just following up. DS1 hasn't been in a store since early March. He asked if he could go with me today on a quick run and when I told him he had to wear his mask he didn't even buck me. He wouldn't wear his other masks (which is why he hadn't gone anywhere) so I thought this was a win. On the way there he asked if others would be wearing them and I could tell he was self conscious. He wore it and when we got back to the car he said he didn't even know it was on really and he felt "stylish". He's got sensory issues so that was a win. He said he could breath really well and felt like he could wear it all day if needed. Adidas for the win for a preteen boy in adult size masks!

KpbS
07-05-2020, 10:16 PM
Just following up. DS1 hasn't been in a store since early March. He asked if he could go with me today on a quick run and when I told him he had to wear his mask he didn't even buck me. He wouldn't wear his other masks (which is why he hadn't gone anywhere) so I thought this was a win. On the way there he asked if others would be wearing them and I could tell he was self conscious. He wore it and when we got back to the car he said he didn't even know it was on really and he felt "stylish". He's got sensory issues so that was a win. He said he could breath really well and felt like he could wear it all day if needed. Adidas for the win for a preteen boy in adult size masks!

Did you order the m/l mask (adults?). My DS2 is 12 and would like one of these. Not sure about the sizing though.

carolinacool
07-05-2020, 10:27 PM
Did you order the m/l mask (adults?). My DS2 is 12 and would like one of these. Not sure about the sizing though.

Yeah, I can’t figure out what size order my 10-year-old.

Plus, I think I might wait for the black to come back in stock. A lot of the reviews say that the blue ones aren’t finished as nicely as the black.

MSWR0319
07-06-2020, 08:57 AM

Yeah, I can’t figure out what size order my 10-year-old.

Plus, I think I might wait for the black to come back in stock. A lot of the reviews say that the blue ones aren’t finished as nicely as the black.

He wore the m/l. It covers his full face and has a little extra under the chin but is tight enough. I have one of each size coming in the blue so I can report back when he tries that one on. I bought the xs/s for my 9 year old so we'll see. I can also report back the difference between blue and black.

AnnieW625
07-06-2020, 01:39 PM
So is everyone looking at buying 15-20 masks for their kids? If you were to have your kids use a 3 day that would be 15 a week.

Dd1 says that she will probably prefer to use the disposable masks. I got some from Kaiser so I will probably see if I can order that exact brand from Amazon.

Not sure about Dd2, but she has been okay with the disposable masks from Target when she forgot her cloth one at home for camp, and had to use the disposable one instead. I wonder if they make disposable ones in kids sizes?

DualvansMommy
07-06-2020, 02:06 PM
I’ll have to stock up more masks. I have two pairs of cloth for the kids that fits them nicely, but I also got a pack of 20 disposable ones I’ll need to buy more.

My kids finished their 1st day of their 6 weeks outdoor camp, so I’m thinking disposable is better. As they’ll be outside, can get dirty, wind, wet, etc. and I’ll keep the cloth one whenever we all need to be out in public, shopping or eating outdoor restaurants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

essnce629
07-06-2020, 04:40 PM
So is everyone looking at buying 15-20 masks for their kids? If you were to have your kids use a 3 day that would be 15 a week.

Definitely not! So far 11 year old DS2 has TWO from MamaSeamstress that fit great. All the other brands I've bought him don't fit. I think 1 a day is fine. I'll probably buy some kind of clip or glasses like strap so the mask can hang around his neck when eating, instead of setting it anywhere. I'm usually able to wash a load of clothes every day or at least every other day and will just throw the masks in a lingerie bag with whatever load I'm washing. No need for 20 masks for 1 person if you do laundry regularly. Even if you don't they can just be hand washed in the sink and hung to dry overnight.

MSWR0319
07-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Definitely not! So far 11 year old DS2 has TWO from MamaSeamstress that fit great. All the other brands I've bought him don't fit. I think 1 a day is fine. I'll probably buy some kind of clip or glasses like strap so the mask can hang around his neck when eating, instead of setting it anywhere. I'm usually able to wash a load of clothes every day or at least every other day and will just throw the masks in a lingerie bag with whatever load I'm washing. No need for 20 masks for 1 person if you do laundry regularly. Even if you don't they can just be hand washed in the sink and hung to dry overnight.

Love the strap idea! Please post when you figure out exactly what you're going to use.

KrisM
07-06-2020, 07:25 PM
I think we'll do a mix of cloth and disposable. Maybe 6 cloth per kid? I am going to try a few linked here and see how the kids like them. DD bought some fabric to make herself some as well. She's still not really onboard with the idea of masks.

I was looking at some that have the neck strap as well and thought those might be nice to have.

KpbS
07-06-2020, 10:49 PM

Love the strap idea! Please post when you figure out exactly what you're going to use.

:yeahthat:

My kids prefer the disposable ones so far. They’ve worn them at summer camp and to church once. I plan on having a couple of cloth ones per kid and some disposable, assuming we can keep finding those in stock.

carolinamama
07-06-2020, 10:55 PM

No, not at all and I'm the one planning for a new mask post lunch. Each of mine will have 3 reusable masks and some disposables. DD does not like disposable and my boys haven't decided yet so we will see. I don't mind washing each evening if need be though. So far, I've been handwashing mine in a small tub and hanging to dry anyway.

ang79
07-06-2020, 11:15 PM
DD1 (13 yrs.) just started summer training for cross country. They need to wear masks when stretching before and after running (they don't wear them while actively running). It was 90 degrees at tonight's practice! She wore her bgreen mask, but only has 2 of those. And now I see that PA is mandating masks be worn to school, so I definitely need to get her more masks. I thought the Adidas ones might be good, especially for CC practices. But I'm not sure about sizing. The M bgreen mask fits her, but the adult Old Navy ones are too big and the kid ones too small. So her face is slightly smaller than mine. Any thoughts? Or other more athletic type masks that will stay on while doing pushups, stretches, etc. that don't cost a lot?

georgiegirl
07-06-2020, 11:26 PM
DD1 (13 yrs.) just started summer training for cross country. They need to wear masks when stretching before and after running (they don't wear them while actively running). It was 90 degrees at tonight's practice! She wore her bgreen mask, but only has 2 of those. And now I see that PA is mandating masks be worn to school, so I definitely need to get her more masks. I thought the Adidas ones might be good, especially for CC practices. But I'm not sure about sizing. The M bgreen mask fits her, but the adult Old Navy ones are too big and the kid ones too small. So her face is slightly smaller than mine. Any thoughts? Or other more athletic type masks that will stay on while doing pushups, stretches, etc. that don't cost a lot?

Our swim team sold some that were soft and stretchy. Kids need to wear them during dryland stretches and basic exercises (planks, etc,). Check to see if the school is selling some

bnme
07-07-2020, 05:46 AM
These have a tie in addition to ear loops.

https://www.buckmason.com/pages/face-masks-for-america

gymnbomb
07-07-2020, 08:08 AM

I haven’t tried them, but Athleta is now selling an active version that looks like it has adjustable ear straps in addition to their regular ones.

lizzywednesday
07-07-2020, 01:23 PM
... So her face is slightly smaller than mine. Any thoughts? Or other more athletic type masks that will stay on while doing pushups, stretches, etc. that don't cost a lot?

Hanes has some that might also work; they are pricier than ON or Gap:

https://www.hanes.com/maskn2.html

The above are the "basic" ones; there are "stretch-to-fit" ones here:

https://www.hanes.com/p6hosm.html

I'm not sure what the difference is between the two; they cost more than I could spend right now, but I may get them for myself in the future.

If the ear loops are too long, my friend Rachel is putting plastic pony beads on the ends to make them adjustable for her girls. My friend Missy recommended a specific "mask cord adjuster" product, but I don't have link.

ett
07-07-2020, 01:30 PM
I haven’t tried them, but Athleta is now selling an active version that looks like it has adjustable ear straps in addition to their regular ones.

I just received my masks from Athleta. These were the ones I got.
https://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=100364002&pcid=999&vid=1&searchText=masks#pdp-page-content

They have a nose wire and adjustable ear straps. They're well made and I think with the adjustable straps I could get them to work with DS2 who is 13. I'm glad they included some gender neutral colors.

ang79
07-07-2020, 01:49 PM
I used the measuring chart at Adidas, looks like she will need a small, but unfortunately they are sold out in both colors right now. Her two bgreen masks will work for her summer practices (only 3 times a week until August 10), but if they need to wear them to school I will definitely need to get more! Are the Hanes ones sold in stores or do they have to be ordered online?

A friend bought a pack of masks at Sam's Club (maybe a 5 pack? I know I saw them in our store but didn't pay much attention) and she and her daughter were wearing them at last night's first practice, but they look like they would be too big for my daughter. She said they seemed to be pretty good quality and fit her, her daughter, and her husband well, so that may be another option for people to check out in stores.

Has anyone received the Disney masks yet? Curious how they run for sizing and quality?

carolinacool
07-07-2020, 02:13 PM
I understand why you can't try on masks, but it's so frustrating that you can't try on masks. lol

I bought the kids masks at Target that are 2 for $4. DS put one on, and it didn't work. $4 down the drain just like that. The thing I'm realizing: DS has a cute little nose, but it's a cute little flat nose. A lot of masks just slide down and right off, whereas if he had a pointy nose, the mask would have something to "catch" on.

MSWR0319
07-07-2020, 02:31 PM
I understand why you can't try on masks, but it's so frustrating that you can't try on masks. lol

I bought the kids masks at Target that are 2 for $4. DS put one on, and it didn't work. $4 down the drain just like that. The thing I'm realizing: DS has a cute little nose, but it's a cute little flat nose. A lot of masks just slide down and right off, whereas if he had a pointy nose, the mask would have something to "catch" on.

I feel the same way! I totally get it, but it's hard to find something that works well.

PZMommy
07-07-2020, 03:00 PM

We got a set of those masks too and have a similar problem. At this point I just put them in the car for an “emergency”. I have a friend who makes them and the ones she made fit my kids perfectly. They are $7 a piece, but if they fit and my kids will wear them, then I guess it is worth it.

bcafe
07-07-2020, 07:04 PM
I have been stalking the adidas masks. I wish they would get back in stock!

Liziz
07-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Who has found a good mask for the young and small kids? I'm beginning to think my kids just have super small faces -- the Target kids' masks are way to big for both my kids. The Mama Seamstress XS round mask fits my 8yo, but even that one is a bit big on my 5 yo. I have tie masks that work well for both my kids, but those won't be manageable if they need to do them by themselves at school, etc.

gymnbomb
07-08-2020, 09:30 AM
Who has found a good mask for the young and small kids? I'm beginning to think my kids just have super small faces -- the Target kids' masks are way to big for both my kids. The Mama Seamstress XS round mask fits my 8yo, but even that one is a bit big on my 5 yo. I have tie masks that work well for both my kids, but those won't be manageable if they need to do them by themselves at school, etc.

The Hanna Andersson masks are really small. And I haven’t tried the ones from carters, but guessing they may also be smaller?

carolinacool
07-08-2020, 10:12 AM

Maybe Old Navy? My 10-year-old has the kids mask, but they are a little too small for him. They would probably work for your 8-year-old at least. Some stores have them in stock near or behind the registers.

Tenasparkl
07-08-2020, 10:34 AM
Has anyone received the Disney masks yet? Curious how they run for sizing and quality?

Yes and they’re really small. The smalls look like they’d fit a 3 or 4 year old (maybe a tiny kinder student?) I gave the packs I bought away on a local buy nothing FB group because nobody in my house could wear them. The mediums fit my kids (8 and 11) and the larges fit me. They’re inconsistent so some fit my husband and some don’t.

carolinamama
07-08-2020, 11:38 AM

DD is 8 so a bit older but doesn't have a large face and after lots of trial and error, she only wears these. https://www.etsy.com/shop/MngrmCreateWorkshop?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=792526248&section_id=28725342 The price is higher than some others but the fit is more comfortable so she wears them without fuss. The way they are made, the fabric domes out from her nose and mouth. She wears the 7-11 size but there is a 3-6 size. I've hand washed hers multiple times and they hold up well.

essnce629
07-08-2020, 05:55 PM

My DS1 just turned 11 and both the Bgreen kids and All-ett kids masks are too small. I just bought the All-ett ones last week from recommendations here but the kids size seems to have like zero stretch on the ear straps! DS2 could barely get it on! The adult ones had more stretch than the kids.

Bgreen kids
https://www.all-ett.com/products/kidsfacemask

All-ett kids (I just realized that the age range is 4-10 years old!)
https://www.all-ett.com/products/kidsfacemask

JustMe
07-09-2020, 03:45 PM
I am in search of mask that have over the head elastic (or ties, but prefer elastic) as opposed to the ear hoops and that would work well for smallish adult sized faces. The over the ear ones don't work well for us for multiple reasons; I have tried many of the ones suggested here. Sometimes they work okay if I can close the ear elastics in back of our heads with a clip. I have one type of mask that is over the head elastic and works okayish for us; the size is good, but it is so hard to put a filter in and the seller (who was local to me) is not making them at this time. Thanks!

PZMommy
07-09-2020, 03:53 PM
I am in search of mask that have over the head elastic (or ties, but prefer elastic) as opposed to the ear hoops and that would work well for smallish adult sized faces. The over the ear ones don't work well for us for multiple reasons; I have tried many of the ones suggested here. Sometimes they work okay if I can close the ear elastics in back of our heads with a clip. I have one type of mask that is over the head elastic and works okayish for us; the size is good, but it is so hard to put a filter in and the seller (who was local to me) is not making them at this time. Thanks!

I have one that ties, but it is elastic ties. I bought it from Etsy. This is the shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HoneyBearsCreation

I just got my order from sweaty bands. This one arrived much faster than you first order. The mask with the nose clip seem to fit just fine, similar to the original ones I ordered from them. They also have adjustable ears. My kids won’t be returning to school in the fall, so I think they have enough for now, but otherwise I’d get them some from there as well.

ett
07-09-2020, 04:02 PM

I don't have these so can't comment on the fit, but I believe someone posted about these in the other mask thread.
https://losangelesapparel.net/products/3-pack-cotton-mask?variant=31978393862206

PZMommy
07-09-2020, 04:03 PM
I don't have these so can't comment on the fit, but I believe someone posted about these in the other mask thread.
https://losangelesapparel.net/products/3-pack-cotton-mask?variant=31978393862206

They are temporarily closed due to an outbreak of covid in their factories. Not sure if they reopened. All three factories had to close as they had over 150 employees test positive.

MSWR0319
07-09-2020, 04:06 PM

I've read a lot of people like these, but looks like they are sold out
https://www.primary.com/shop/kids/the-mask-3-pack?color=rainbow-mix&ref=search_results&fbclid=IwAR3gsr_FwJxNL7DR4TSCiBrUao8ZTwPhRhi-MNwPtVW8O0gCESGP5y5oB80

ang79
07-09-2020, 06:29 PM
They are temporarily closed due to an outbreak of covid in their factories. Not sure if they reopened. All three factories had to close as they had over 150 employees test positive.

Wow, that's too bad! I ordered one set of three back from them when masks were hard to get in a timely manner. Mine took longer to get to me because of a mailing issue (they were packaged but never mailed, until I called them a week later when shipping info never updated). I have a smaller face, and my 13 yr. old can wear them too (as well as DH, so they seem to fit a large variety of faces). I did have to tie a knot in the elastic straps to make them fit me. I found the style comfortable, but the fabric hot. But reviews for after I got mine seemed to imply that some of the colors were made from a different fabric (I got the gray ones and they were a terry cloth fabric).

JustMe
07-09-2020, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the ideas for the over the head elastic masks!

Wow, that is too bad! It looks like they can be purchased on the website, although I have gone through with the whole process. The honey bear ones are nice, but not really our style. I would really like to find some that have a pocket for filter, so if anyone knows of any other vendors, pls do post.

PZMommy
07-11-2020, 02:05 AM
LA Apparel is ordered to stay closed from the public health department. They reopened without permission. Over 350 cases and 4 workers have died. Workers say the work conditions there are not safe. I’d look elsewhere before ordering masks from there.

essnce629
07-11-2020, 04:54 AM
la apparel is ordered to stay closed from the public health department. They reopened without permission. Over 350 cases and 4 workers have died. Workers say the work conditions there are not safe. I’d look elsewhere before ordering masks from there.

wow!!!!

essnce629
07-11-2020, 05:41 AM

I bought these and got them today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882KNCG3/

They are perfect. Stretchy elastic, adjustable, and impossible for the mask ear loops to fall off the hook. They come in a 5 pack so we each got one, which will even be good for walks around the neighborhood since we can have our masks around our neck if there's no one around. They're also stretchy enough that I can hook them on the mask first and then just put it over my head. DS2 walked around with it and his mask around his neck today!

georgiegirl
07-11-2020, 07:34 AM
I bought these and got them today: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882KNCG3/

They are perfect. Stretchy elastic, adjustable, and impossible for the mask ear loops to fall off the hook. They come in a 5 pack so we each got one, which will even be good for walks around the neighborhood since we can have our masks around our neck if there's no one around. They're also stretchy enough that I can hook them on the mask first and then just put it over my head. DS2 walked around with it and his mask around his neck today!

Thanks for the recommendation! I just bought some. I really need this for DS2 because he needs to wear a mask to/from swim practice. It’s really hard to wear a mask and a swim cap at the same time (DS can’t put on a swim cap by himself so I have to send him in with a cap, goggles, and mask on [emoji23])

MSWR0319
07-11-2020, 07:27 PM
Adidas mask update:

I got the blue masks today and compared them to the black. They are both the same material and the blue is just as nice as our black ones. They are also the same size.

I got both sizes in the blue because I wanted to try them on DS2 who is 8. The xs/s fits him perfectly. The minute he put it on he said it was the best mask he's worn. I had DS1 (he’s 11.5) try it on and it was too tight. It didn't cover his face nearly as nice as the M/L did and it pulled right off of his ears. No way he could wear it more than a few minutes or it'd be right off. My kids do have big heads so I measured from the bridge of the nose to the bottom of the chin to help with any sizing questions. When they are wearing them the mask comes up farther on their nose than it does on the boy with the blue mask on (pictures on the M/L size on the website). It's more like the picture of the boy in the black mask. On me, the mask came slightly higher up than the picture of the boy in the blue shows but obviously lower than it does on their faces and fits me nice also. They seem to fit well for different face sizes.

DS1 - 4" (M/L fits best)
DS2 - Just over 3" (XS/S fits)
Me - 4.5" (M/L)

ETA I don’t know that height really matter but just trying to give you an idea of my kids’ sizes. Ds1 is 5’4” and just shy of 100lbs. Very tall and slim. Ds2 is in the 95% for height as well and also slim.

bcafe
07-11-2020, 08:26 PM
I wish they (Adidas)would come back in stock soon.

essnce629
07-12-2020, 01:19 AM
Adidas mask update:

I got the blue masks today and compared them to the black. They are both the same material and the blue is just as nice as our black ones. They are also the same size.

I got both sizes in the blue because I wanted to try them on DS2 who is 8. The xs/s fits him perfectly. The minute he put it on he said it was the best mask he's worn. I had DS1 try it on and it was too tight. It didn't cover his face nearly as nice as the M/L did and it pulled right off of his ears. No way he could wear it more than a few minutes or it'd be right off. My kids do have big heads so I measured from the bridge of the nose to the bottom of the chin to help with any sizing questions. When they are wearing them the mask comes up farther on their nose and closer to their eyes than the picture does, but fits them great and they don't seem to mind. On me, the mask came slightly higher up than the picture shows but obviously lower than it does on their faces and fits me nice also. They seem to fit well for different face sizes.

DS1 - 4" (M/L fits best)
Me - 4.5" (M/L)

How old is your DS1?

wendibird22
07-12-2020, 06:29 AM
We have a variety of masks I’ve bought. Aviator (the clothing company from LA) has great ones. DH likes them best. Easy wash and dry. Super silky soft material. A child with a more adult size face could wear these.

My kids like both the kid versions of the ON ones and the Athleta ones. The ON ones are tiny though. DD2, 10 and has a tiny face, likes the ON best. DD1, 13, likes the Athleta best.

I also have a set of adult Athleta and they are great. Adjustable ear loops and a nose wire. DD1 could probably wear the adult version too. Her face is about the same size as mine.

MSWR0319
07-12-2020, 08:58 AM
How old is your DS1?

Sorry, I forgot that part. He’s 11.5.

carolinacool
07-12-2020, 12:31 PM
Adidas mask update:

I got both sizes in the blue because I wanted to try them on DS2 who is 8. The xs/s fits him perfectly. The minute he put it on he said it was the best mask he's worn. I had DS1 (he’s 11.5) try it on and it was too tight. It didn't cover his face nearly as nice as the M/L did and it pulled right off of his ears. No way he could wear it more than a few minutes or it'd be right off. My kids do have big heads so I measured from the bridge of the nose to the bottom of the chin to help with any sizing questions. When they are wearing them the mask comes up farther on their nose than it does on the boy with the blue mask on (pictures on the M/L size on the website). It's more like the picture of the boy in the black mask. On me, the mask came slightly higher up than the picture of the boy in the blue shows but obviously lower than it does on their faces and fits me nice also. They seem to fit well for different face sizes.

DS1 - 4" (M/L fits best)
Me - 4.5" (M/L)

ETA I don’t know that height really matter but just trying to give you an idea of my kids’ sizes. Ds1 is 5’4” and just shy of 100lbs. Very tall and slim. Ds2 is in the 95% for height as well and also slim.

Thank you! I just measured my 10 1/2-year-old’s face, and he’s 4 inches from the bridge of the nose to the chin. It looks like the M/L Blue mask is back in stock, so I’m ordering now.

ett
07-12-2020, 12:37 PM

I got the M/L adidas mask hoping it would fit DS1 but it seems that maybe it would only fit DS2.

MSWR0319
07-12-2020, 04:03 PM
I got the M/L adidas mask hoping it would fit DS1 but it seems that maybe it would only fit DS2.

I'll have DH try on DS's and see how it fits him.

mom2binsd
07-12-2020, 05:35 PM
Walgreens has a 3 pack for about 9.00, they were black and fit my friends tiny 10 year old and DD.

cuca_
07-12-2020, 08:24 PM

The Adidas M/L mask fits me and my teen DDs well. My youngest DD (almost 11) and and my DS (12.5) wear the small with no issues.

MSWR0319
07-12-2020, 09:41 PM

I would think your DS1 may be able to wear it. I can wear it just fine. It's just about to the middle of my nose where on DS1 it's closer to the bridge than when I wear it. DH did try it on and it was too tight on him, but he has a big nose.

ett
07-12-2020, 10:40 PM
I would think your DS1 may be able to wear it. I can wear it just fine. It's just about to the middle of my nose where on DS1 it's closer to the bridge than when I wear it. DH did try it on and it was too tight on him, but he has a big nose.

Thanks for the feedback. DS1 does have a pretty large head, so it may be too small for him. Some of the one size masks have been too small for him, or they fit, but are a little short from nose to chin. I'd like good coverage from nose to chin so less chance of the mask slipping off his nose.

essnce629
07-13-2020, 02:54 AM

Thanks, my DS2 is 11.

Kestrel
07-13-2020, 03:32 PM
We got the basic Hanes masks, and while they are well made, they are too small for (very big) 11yo DS and myself, both. These might work well for small kids, they're nice and comfy, but too small for us.

JustMe
07-13-2020, 04:38 PM
We got the basic Hanes masks, and while they are well made, they are too small for (very big) 11yo DS and myself, both. These might work well for small kids, they're nice and comfy, but too small for us.

Did you get the kids' sizes or the adults? I got adult size and they are too big for us! Mostly because the chin comes down way below where it should. I tried washing (as the directions suggest) and drying them and they are still too big!

twowhat?
07-13-2020, 05:24 PM
Did you get the kids' sizes or the adults? I got adult size and they are too big for us! Mostly because the chin comes down way below where it should. I tried washing (as the directions suggest) and drying them and they are still too big!

For those who have basic pleated cloth masks that are too big, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTg53aAP8Q

Since they are cloth, instead of tying the ear loops (may be hard depending on how wide), you may have to place a couple of hand-stitches to hold them together but a needle and thread would be all you need. Or you may be able to use a bobby pin or paper clip to thread a pony bead onto each ear strap and use the beads to pull them together.

JustMe
07-13-2020, 09:40 PM
For those who have basic pleated cloth masks that are too big, try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TTg53aAP8Q

Since they are cloth, instead of tying the ear loops (may be hard depending on how wide), you may have to place a couple of hand-stitches to hold them together but a needle and thread would be all you need. Or you may be able to use a bobby pin or paper clip to thread a pony bead onto each ear strap and use the beads to pull them together.

Wow, this is such a good idea..and almost would have worked on the hanes masks, except they end up too small! LOL! I think there is some way I could probably make it work, but I think I would just rather find masks that use elastic or ties around the head as those just work better for us. Thanks for posting this, though, it came close to working and I am sure it would help someone!

KrystalS
07-14-2020, 05:41 PM
I haven't been here in FOREVER! Came back because I need masks for my kids for school and I figured everyone here would be talking about it! Has anyone gotten masks from sleefs.com? Seems like they are primarily an athletic store. My almost 10yo son likes the prints they have. He's a big kid so I think he would need the adult size. He's probably the size of an average 13-14yo. Just curious if anyone has purchased here yet.

ett
07-18-2020, 06:09 PM
Well, the Adidas masks were a fail for us here. I ordered the M/L one. It was too tight for DS1 and pulled at his ears. He said he could probably wear it in a pinch but he has others that are more comfortable, so probably wouldn't end up reaching for these anyway. I tried it on DS2 who is 13, and it's way too big on him. DH and I have not tried them on yet, but I'm guessing they will fit the both of us, so I guess we'll be the only ones sporting the cool masks!

MSWR0319
07-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Well, the Adidas masks were a fail for us here. I ordered the M/L one. It was too tight for DS1 and pulled at his ears. He said he could probably wear it in a pinch but he has others that are more comfortable, so probably wouldn't end up reaching for these anyway. I tried it on DS2 who is 13, and it's way too big on him. DH and I have not tried them on yet, but I'm guessing they will fit the both of us, so I guess we'll be the only ones sporting the cool masks!

Bummer! My kids must have big heads.

Myira
07-18-2020, 08:38 PM
Adidas xs/s fit my 8 year old DS and 10 year old DD very well, they are the best fitting masks we own now.

jennilynn
07-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Did anyone get the xs/s Adidas mask and need to trade for the m/l? Our are too big for both my 9 and 11 year olds.

ang79
07-19-2020, 03:00 PM
Some Adidas masks are back in stock. I was able to order a set of black xs/s and blue m/l. Also just ordered another set of kid masks for DD2 and adult masks for myself/DH, so we should be set for mask for traveling to NJ in August.

BDKmom
07-19-2020, 03:54 PM
Some Adidas masks are back in stock. I was able to order a set of black xs/s and blue m/l. Also just ordered another set of kid masks for DD2 and adult masks for myself/DH, so we should be set for mask for traveling to NJ in August.

Thanks for posting. I have been stalking adidas since I read about those masks here. Got the black xs/s and blue m/l. I figure between the four of us, they should fit someone.

MSWR0319
07-19-2020, 04:12 PM
If you need free shipping for the adidas masks, you can sign up for the Creators Club for free and get free shipping (at least last time I checked).

KpbS
07-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Waiting for the blue Adidas xs/s to come back in stock. I thought I had ordered, but I guess it never went through. Hope they come back soon.

carolinacool
07-19-2020, 05:14 PM
The Adidas M/L ended up being too large for my 10-year-old. That said, they do seem to run small because they were not ridiculously too big. DH is keeping them and wearing them as spares, although I think they’re a little too small for his face. lol

I just placed an order for the small black ones. I don’t think DS much cared about which color he has. Crossing my fingers again! I somehow got free shipping this time. I don’t remember joining anything to get it, though.

carolinacool
07-24-2020, 04:09 PM
Aghhhhh!

So the small adidas masks arrived yesterday. They seem to fit so well, but once he starts talking, it slips right down his cute little flattish nose.

I suppose the kind with ties would work best, but he can barely keep his shoes tied. If he wore it to school, he would need help and I doubt a teacher would get close enough to help him. Although maybe she would. Who knows.

I wonder if this ear strap mentioned above would hold it tighter to his face?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882KNCG3/ref=as_li_tl?imprToken=G2e8uQa7Bbg-XxIvzoZjJQ&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0882KNCG3&linkCode=w61&tag=vbbabybargains-20

MSWR0319
07-24-2020, 05:23 PM
Aghhhhh!

So the small adidas masks arrived yesterday. They seem to fit so well, but once he starts talking, it slips right down his cute little flattish nose.

I suppose the kind with ties would work best, but he can barely keep his shoes tied. If he wore it to school, he would need help and I doubt a teacher would get close enough to help him. Although maybe she would. Who knows.

I wonder if this ear strap mentioned above would hold it tighter to his face?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0882KNCG3/ref=as_li_tl?imprToken=G2e8uQa7Bbg-XxIvzoZjJQ&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0882KNCG3&linkCode=w61&tag=vbbabybargains-20

Can you tie a knot in the ears to make it just a smidge tighter? We had to do that once to DS1's mask because DS2 lost his and we needed one. I tied a loose knot and then slid it all the way to the end just to make it tight enough so that it wouldn't slide when he talked.

carolinacool
07-24-2020, 06:01 PM
I'll try that!

RedSuedeShoes
08-11-2020, 03:23 PM
So, I ordered a mask from Mama Seamstress on etsy bc I saw it mentioned here. I like it. It fits well (although I wonder if I could've gone down a size; the medium seems a bit big for me). But it is so wrinkly after a trip through the washer. I line dried it, but have sent it through a fluff (with heat) in the dryer twice and it's still wrinkly. Way more wrinkly than my other all-cotton one I've been wearing (a neighbor made it). Do y'all iron yours? Or maybe the fabric I chose is just wrinklier (I got 014, black/white check).

I also bought the adidas M/L ones hoping they would fit my kids but nope. Out of 5 family members (medium husband, small me, large-ish 19 y.o. with beard, 15 y.o. small DD, 11 y.o. DS) they didn't fit anyone! So I've washed them to offer up on my neighborhood Buy Nothing group.

The only mask I've found to fit my daughter well is the Sock It To Me small/youth. Everything else is way too big.

ahisma
08-11-2020, 03:27 PM
I also bought the adidas M/L ones hoping they would fit my kids but nope. Out of 5 family members (medium husband, small me, large-ish 19 y.o. with beard, 15 y.o. small DD, 11 y.o. DS) they didn't fit anyone! So I've washed them to offer up on my neighborhood Buy Nothing group.

Same here, and I feel like DH and I have largeish faces. They were too big for all of us. I wonder if the sizing is inconsistent.

ett
08-11-2020, 04:20 PM
Same here, and I feel like DH and I have largeish faces. They were too big for all of us. I wonder if the sizing is inconsistent.

The M/L was actually too small for my 17 year old DS. I guess he must have a very large head! It was way too big on me, but fits DH.

ett
08-11-2020, 04:55 PM
So, I ordered a mask from Mama Seamstress on etsy bc I saw it mentioned here. I like it. It fits well (although I wonder if I could've gone down a size; the medium seems a bit big for me). But it is so wrinkly after a trip through the washer. I line dried it, but have sent it through a fluff (with heat) in the dryer twice and it's still wrinkly. Way more wrinkly than my other all-cotton one I've been wearing (a neighbor made it). Do y'all iron yours? Or maybe the fabric I chose is just wrinklier (I got 014, black/white check).

The only mask I've found to fit my daughter well is the Sock It To Me small/youth. Everything else is way too big.

My mask from MamaSeamstress is arriving this week. Will have to see how it is after washing it. I ordered the size small in the navy. I'm hoping it will fit DS2.

MSWR0319
08-11-2020, 05:06 PM

We ordered both blue and black in two separate orders and they were similar
With the black being possibly slightly larger (but not much at all). Maybe sizing is inconsistent! I would consider my face probably medium/possibly large for a woman and they fit me great. They’re too small for DH who I think has a small face for a man, and fit well on DS (11) who has a big head. He does have more fabric under the chin than I do but nothing that makes it a bad fit. I wonder if they would shrink at all if you dried them in the dryer. I had to do that with my Vera Bradley masks but they were cotton.

bisous
08-11-2020, 07:17 PM
Dang. Mask sizing is so strange. I think I must have a small face. I have a pack of surgical masks which only stay on if I wrap the ear loops around my pony tale instead of my ears!

jennilynn
08-12-2020, 05:09 PM
Has anyone found a mask that’s a good fit for a tween? Everything I’ve tried is too small or too big for DS1, who’s 11.5. We got the m/l Adidas masks and they are too big.

carolinacool
08-12-2020, 05:27 PM
Has anyone found a mask that’s a good fit for a tween? Everything I’ve tried is too small or too big for DS1, who’s 11.5. We got the m/l Adidas masks and they are too big.

I've struggled with my 10-year-old. I've found that if I cross the straps on an adult disposable, that works OK. But that's me doing it for him -- he struggles trying to do it himself. I found some on Etsy that were designed as a tween size and they do fit, but the fabric has gotten pretty flimsy after washing -- the fabric isn't stiff enough to hold its shape, so the mask just slides down his face.

Old Navy now has adult masks with adjustable ear loops. I think I might try these next. If they don't work, they weren't crazy expensive.

https://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?pid=658695092&cid=1159266&pcid=1157699&vid=1&grid=pds_8_89_1#pdp-page-content

PunkyBoo
08-12-2020, 05:49 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkI forgot to come back and give comments on the Cat& Jack ones from Target. DS2 is really happy with them and they fit him well. He's 11.5, and has a narrow/smallish head. And at that price I'd be fine with outfitting him with a bunch.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

carolinacool
08-12-2020, 05:56 PM
I forgot to come back and give comments on the Cat& Jack ones from Target. DS2 is really happy with them and they fit him well. He's 11.5, and has a narrow/smallish head. And at that price I'd be fine with outfitting him with a bunch.

I've tried these, too. I can't tell if they are too big or too small. lol They seem snug on his face (too small) but when he talks, they slide down (too big). Agh!!

essnce629
08-12-2020, 06:09 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkThe only masks that fit my 11 year old DS2 perfectly are the small MamaSeamstress round masks with nose wire. They're the only ones he wears.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

ang79
08-12-2020, 08:24 PM
If anyone wanted to try the adidas masks and didn’t get them yet, I have 3 black small ones that don’t work for my kids. One was tried on and tag cut out, all have been washed in All Free and Clear. I also have 2 navy kids masks from Target (the 2 for $4 ones, shaped but no nose wire). Same deal, tried on, don’t fit, washed. Pm if interested, will pass them on for cheaper than I paid, just to find them a home where they can be used!

Liziz
08-12-2020, 08:47 PM

The MamaSeamstress masks are the only ones that work for my 8 yo -- we now have many different patterns as I wanted 5 for each of my kids. One thing I've noticed is that her masks are not all made from the same type of fabric....so perhaps the one you have is made from a fabric that wrinkles more easily? I do not iron our masks, but I do handwash them and line dry them (I messed up one of my masks -- made by someone else -- in the washer, so now I'm skittish about it). I will say that the seller is super responsive and helpful via messaging on Etsy, so if you want to order more she can probably help you make sure you pick a fabric that is less wrinkly.

Also as helpful info to anyone else who is considering ordering MamaSeamstress masks -- for fit info, the XS (labelled toddler size, apparently my kids have small faces!) fits both my average sized 8 year old DD and my big-for-her-age 5 yo DD. She is also going to be uploading new fabric options soon, but if you message her she'll send them to you and you can order the new options now.

Twin Mom
08-12-2020, 09:44 PM
Sent you a pm.
If anyone wanted to try the adidas masks and didn’t get them yet, I have 3 black small ones that don’t work for my kids. One was tried on and tag cut out, all have been washed in All Free and Clear. I also have 2 navy kids masks from Target (the 2 for $4 ones, shaped but no nose wire). Same deal, tried on, don’t fit, washed. Pm if interested, will pass them on for cheaper than I paid, just to find them a home where they can be used!

carolinacool
08-14-2020, 10:21 AM
I just ordered more MamaSeamstress masks. DH has had to go back into the newsroom temporarily. Because the desks are so close, they have to keep a mask on and he says the Mama Seamstress are the most comfortable to him -- even better than the disposable. I also ordered DS another one. This time, I got them all with nose wires, which should help DH with his glasses and should give me something to try to fit around DS' nose.

I wonder why she is no longer making the pleated style? I know some here got those early on and said they ran a little smaller. I really wanted to try her version with DS. But they have been out of stock for a couple of months now.

gymnbomb
08-14-2020, 11:15 AM
I just ordered more MamaSeamstress masks. DH has had to go back into the newsroom temporarily. Because the desks are so close, they have to keep a mask on and he says the Mama Seamstress are the most comfortable to him -- even better than the disposable. I also ordered DS another one. This time, I got them all with nose wires, which should help DH with his glasses and should give me something to try to fit around DS' nose.

I wonder why she is no longer making the pleated style? I know some here got those early on and said they ran a little smaller. I really wanted to try her version with DS. But they have been out of stock for a couple of months now.

If you want them, message her and ask. I messaged with a question about sizing and she offered to make me the pleated ones if I wanted them!

carolinacool
08-14-2020, 11:58 AM
If you want them, message her and ask. I messaged with a question about sizing and she offered to make me the pleated ones if I wanted them!

Ok. I'll definitely do that next time!

KrisM
08-14-2020, 03:15 PM
I got some of the Mama Seamstress and measured our other masks to see what would work for sizing and hers are just enormous. They are both a good 2-3 inches bigger across than she lists, which is a bummer. None of us can wear the medium even because it covers our ears! lol.

DS2 (12) likes the Athleta girls ones and most of the colors are fine. He is also good in the Old Navy kids.

DS1 (16) liked the adult Old Navy and some from Meijer.

DD (14) is harder - kids are definitely too small, but most adult are big. So far, Old Navy adult are the best for her, since the ear sizing adjusts. Some from Meijer fit fine, except the elastic is too long. I ordered adjusters from Amazon and hopefully that opens up more options for her. I also ordered adhesive nose piece strips and figure we can add those to some as well.

ang79
08-14-2020, 03:22 PM
I got some of the Mama Seamstress and measured our other masks to see what would work for sizing and hers are just enormous. They are both a good 2-3 inches bigger across than she lists, which is a bummer. None of us can wear the medium even because it covers our ears! lol.

DS2 (12) likes the Athleta girls ones and most of the colors are fine. He is also good in the Old Navy kids.

DD (14) is harder - kids are definitely too small, but most adult are big. So far, Old Navy adult are the best for her, since the ear sizing adjusts. Some from Meijer fit fine, except the elastic is too long. I ordered adjusters from Amazon and hopefully that opens up more options for her. I also ordered adhesive nose piece strips and figure we can add those to some as well.

My almost 14 yr. old daughter has had a hard time finding masks that fit well too! Her favorite are the bgreen t-shirt cotton ones, in size M. The ON adult ones are too loose. She also wears the Target adult small ones: https://www.target.com/p/adult-2pk-cloth-face-mask---black-s-m/-/A-79907990

KrisM
08-14-2020, 03:36 PM
My almost 14 yr. old daughter has had a hard time finding masks that fit well too! Her favorite are the bgreen t-shirt cotton ones, in size M. The ON adult ones are too loose. She also wears the Target adult small ones: https://www.target.com/p/adult-2pk-cloth-face-mask---black-s-m/-/A-79907990

I've looked for the Target ones in small, but have only seen kid size (too small for the 12 year old too) and adult. Maybe I'll find some soon!

ang79
08-14-2020, 03:48 PM
I've looked for the Target ones in small, but have only seen kid size (too small for the 12 year old too) and adult. Maybe I'll find some soon!

The adult ones come in two sizes: S/M and L. My store had them on a display rack in the women's intimates section. The kids ones were in a different section of the store.

ett
08-14-2020, 03:52 PM

I ordered the small from Mama Seamstress and it is very large! I need to wash it first before trying it on DS2, but from just looking at it I think it will be too big. Comparing it to other masks we own (and I have a whole bunch of different brands), the elastic loop is very small, and seems as the fabric should go almost to the ears. It does look very well made.

ett
08-14-2020, 03:54 PM

I posted in this thread a few days ago, but the Cat and Jack kids mask (with the nose wire) run very big. They fit my 13 year old DS2. Seems like they should fit your 12 year old, unless she is very tall for her age.

ETA: Actually, I posted about the Cat and Jack masks in the other mask thread.(the even longer thread!)

carolinacool
08-14-2020, 04:10 PM
The Mama Seamstress round mask do run large. I have a roundish face with big cheeks and the medium fits me. DH wears the large. And they cover quite a bit of your face. I wore mine several time in early May when I first got it. I pulled it out on one of the first really hot days in June, and it was too warm to be comfortable. I guess it's fine for DH since he's sitting in AC and not running errands. I've decided it's my fall/winter mask.

essnce629
08-14-2020, 07:46 PM

You must all have small faces!!! One of the things I like about the MamaSeamstress masks is that they cover so much of your face. I bought some of the All-Ett masks that some people on here recommended and the fabric covers a lot less of my face, so much so that I feel like one quick move of my head and it will dip below my nose or slide up my chin! It is also way looser on the sides. With the MamaSeamstress masks the small fits my 11 year old DS2 but I could wear it in a pinch (it pulls on my ears slightly though), my mom and I wear the medium, and almost 17 year old DS1 and DH wear the large (they could wear the medium but it pulls on their ears). Here's a few pics of us wearing them for others to see how much coverage they provide (a lot).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/a1dd0411f3e074a7574343b10d93e3aa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/39cd5d9c1ddd207b5f03f13272689a4e.jpg

KrisM
08-14-2020, 08:36 PM
You must all have small faces!!! One of the things I like about the MamaSeamstress masks is that they cover so much of your face. I bought some of the All-Ett masks that some people on here recommended and the fabric covers a lot less of my face, so much so that I feel like one quick move of my head and it will dip below my nose or slide up my chin! It is also way looser on the sides. With the MamaSeamstress masks the small fits my 11 year old DS2 but I could wear it in a pinch (it pulls on my ears slightly though), my mom and I wear the medium, and almost 17 year old DS1 and DH wear the large (they could wear the medium but it pulls on their ears). Here's a few pics of us wearing them for others to see how much coverage they provide (a lot).

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/a1dd0411f3e074a7574343b10d93e3aa.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200814/39cd5d9c1ddd207b5f03f13272689a4e.jpg

We don't, actually! If you fold a medium in half and measure from the edge by the ear to the center seam, what do you get? Mine is almost 5.75".

essnce629
08-15-2020, 03:59 AM
We don't, actually! If you fold a medium in half and measure from the edge by the ear to the center seam, what do you get? Mine is almost 5.75".Odd, my medium is 5.25" and DS1's large is 6.25"https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/06cd73e89e76e61a5c19ae5fe689e6c0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/a7e8bc29d5e2605218bdfa640914df4d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200815/c32254edbc49f775a8f2405c5a53b5da.jpg

carolinacool
08-15-2020, 11:38 AM
Strange. I just measured mine as well, and both measurements are in line with Latia’s. Kris, you might want to email her and let her know that you got a dud. It sounds like she’s really responsive and she’ll try to make it right.

DS and I’ve stopped in Old Navy last night. This particular store now has a full display of all of their masks with most or all of the colors you can order online. DS picked out an adult design with the new adjustable ear loops. When he tried it on at home, it seemed to work. When I pulled the pleated part apart, it did seem to come down quite a bit under his chin but I just put a tiny fold in. But he talked to me for a few minutes and it never slid off of his nose, which is a victory. So I wash them and then stuck them in the dryer to see if they would shrink just a little bit. He hasn’t tried it back on yet but fingers crossed.

ett
08-15-2020, 04:45 PM
I just measured my size small Mama seamstress mask, and it is 5" across and 6" up/down. I can't seem to find the size chart with the measurements on etsy anymore. Does anyone else see it?

Dream
08-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Which kids disposable masks you’re buying? I want to keep some extras in their bag. Amazon has few listings but I’m not sure how safe they are or whether they’re working as they claimed since I’m not familiar with the brands.

gymnbomb
08-16-2020, 10:07 AM
Which kids disposable masks you’re buying? I want to keep some extras in their bag. Amazon has few listings but I’m not sure how safe they are or whether they’re working as they claimed since I’m not familiar with the brands.

We got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088P37TWR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We mostly use cloth ones, but I keep a few of these in the glove box of each car and if my son were going to school I'd put a ziplock bag of them in his backpack. He is 6 and they fit him fine. I can wear them in a pinch but they wouldn't be comfy for me, so I'd say they're good for the elementary to smaller middle school age group.

carolinacool
08-24-2020, 03:04 PM
So a slight rant. I ordered three more masks from Mama Seasmstress -- two large for DH and one small for DS. They just arrived today and she sent three large. When I inquired about my small, she told me to mail the third large back and she would resize it. She did send a shipping label, but I am slightly annoyed. Now I have to send it all the way back across the country, wait for her to fix it and then wait for it to make its way back to me. Grrr.

elbenn
08-24-2020, 03:27 PM
I've been trying to get the adidas ones but every time I check they are out of stock. Does anyone know if they are coming in and out of stock and I need to check more often?

Tenasparkl
08-24-2020, 03:50 PM
I've been trying to get the adidas ones but every time I check they are out of stock. Does anyone know if they are coming in and out of stock and I need to check more often?

You can sign up for email notification on the adidas site. They'll send a message when they come back in stock.

KrisM
08-25-2020, 08:29 AM
So a slight rant. I ordered three more masks from Mama Seasmstress -- two large for DH and one small for DS. They just arrived today and she sent three large. When I inquired about my small, she told me to mail the third large back and she would resize it. She did send a shipping label, but I am slightly annoyed. Now I have to send it all the way back across the country, wait for her to fix it and then wait for it to make its way back to me. Grrr.

She offered to do that with the large that is poorly sized too. She will resize it to medium. Sorry you got the wrong one!

KrisM
08-25-2020, 08:31 AM
My kids like the Old Navy and Athleta ones well enough, so I've ordered a few more of those. They will have 7-10 each, so plenty for a week and a couple extra to have with them.

I also picked up a box of 50 disposable from Sam's for $12. I'm sticking a few of those in their bags and lunch box as well.

carolinacool
10-08-2020, 09:47 AM
Bumping this back up to say it looks like Mama Seamstress has closed on Etsy. I received an incorrectly sized mask and finally got it back in the mail at the end of September. I was checking to see if I had any messages from her last night and saw the store is closed. I sent her a message to follow up, but I'm not feeling hopeful I'll get a response.

Something had told me to just keep the mask. :rolleye0014: She sent a large instead of a small. DH wears the large and really likes her version. But with school supposedly starting later this month, I wanted DS to have another option. Oh, well. At least it was only $4.

petesgirl
10-08-2020, 10:09 AM
The 32 degrees masks from Costco are proving to be the most comfortable for all in my family.

Globetrotter
10-08-2020, 10:17 AM
Bumping this back up to say it looks like Mama Seamstress has closed on Etsy. I received an incorrectly sized mask and finally got it back in the mail at the end of September. I was checking to see if I had any messages from her last night and saw the store is closed. I sent her a message to follow up, but I'm not feeling hopeful I'll get a response.

Something had told me to just keep the mask. :rolleye0014: She sent a large instead of a small. DH wears the large and really likes her version. But with school supposedly starting later this month, I wanted DS to have another option. Oh, well. At least it was only $4.
She has closed the store before, so I assumed maybe she closes it when she’s overwhelmed with orders. I hope you hear back from her!

PunkyBoo
10-08-2020, 10:22 AM

Something had told me to just keep the mask. :rolleye0014: She sent a large instead of a small. DH wears the large and really likes her version. But with school supposedly starting later this month, I wanted DS to have another option. Oh, well. At least it was only $4.I'm sorry to hear that. I'm the one who first recommended her here, and I bought several masks from her and met her in person to pick them up. She had shut down for a few weeks during the summer, so they could get more fabrics and regroup, so maybe they'll start back up. In the meantime though, the Cat& Jack ones from Target have been my DS2's favorites for school (he's in hybrid at school 2 full days per week, and has to wear the mask home in the bus too). Those were $4 per 2 pack. He's been using the little elastic straps that Essence recommended a while back, and it's been great to never worry about where to set his mask down. Even his school principal ended up recommending parents get their kids a lanyard or strap because kids kept dropping them.

chlobo
10-08-2020, 10:51 AM
I seem to recall someone posting a link to a device that will hold the fabric mask away from your nose and mouth? I can't remember what it was called but wanted to try it. Does anyone remember what it was?

carolinacool
10-08-2020, 10:56 AM
Ah, OK. If she's closed before, I'll remain hopeful. :)

I bought the Cat & Jack version this summer and remember something not working. I think it would slide down DS' face as he was talking, but I think he was making a lot of exaggerated face movements. He grabbed one the other day on the way to basketball and it seemed to stay on better but he had it on less than five minutes. I've also bought him the adult Old Navy masks with the ear adjusters. Those seem to stay on his face OK, but I'm not sure if they are made to go six hours with minimal mask breaks. Kids disposal masks also seem to work well for him, and might be the most comfy all day.

I'm glad I posted, though! I had looked at the mask straps that Latia posted but didn't order them. Great idea!

doberbrat
10-08-2020, 11:20 AM
I seem to recall someone posting a link to a device that will hold the fabric mask away from your nose and mouth? I can't remember what it was called but wanted to try it. Does anyone remember what it was?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GKCZG5T is one. I have a few different ones. Unfortunately, they all fit differently - after 4 sets, I found one that fits my fat round face. Of course, I never use it...... but I do like how it fits ;)

AngB
10-08-2020, 11:22 AM
Ah, OK. If she's closed before, I'll remain hopeful. :)

I bought the Cat & Jack version this summer and remember something not working. I think it would slide down DS' face as he was talking, but I think he was making a lot of exaggerated face movements. He grabbed one the other day on the way to basketball and it seemed to stay on better but he had it on less than five minutes. I've also bought him the adult Old Navy masks with the ear adjusters. Those seem to stay on his face OK, but I'm not sure if they are made to go six hours with minimal mask breaks. Kids disposal masks also seem to work well for him, and might be the most comfy all day.

I'm glad I posted, though! I had looked at the mask straps that Latia posted but didn't order them. Great idea!

Kohls has masks online that are adjustable and not too expensive. We have a variety of masks and the Kohls ones or zoo ones are my kids' favorites. (They are in school and wear them all day.) https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Republic-Assortment-Reusable-26192/dp/B08D6YF9QK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1P7FRNPFYRJJ1&dchild=1&keywords=wild+republic+face+mask&qid=1602170523&sprefix=wild+repu%2Caps%2C181&sr=8-6 The zoo ones are a little big but I tie extra knots and they work. The Cat and Jack ones do not fit well, they pull away from their faces.

wendibird22
10-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Now that I've been back to work a few months (hybrid) and the kids have been back to school for a little over a month, we are in agreement with our love for the Athleta masks (the pleated ones not the made to move ones). DD2 and I wear these often. DD1 likes them too but also likes the ON ones. I find I have the most luck with a nose wire, adjustable ear loops, and pleats. I find the non-pleated/fitted ones pull down off my nose when I talk, but the pleated (any pleated, not just the Athleta).

Mommy_Mea
10-08-2020, 01:07 PM
Ugh! I placed an order from her a few days ago, I really love her masks and needed more than the two I have. I was able to order on 10/4, but haven't gotten any updates since then :(

My kids totally love the ON kids masks, they fit great and don't slip when talking. My boys are very average sized 9 and 11.

carolinacool
10-08-2020, 01:26 PM
DS will be 11 in December. The ON kids maskS fit well until I washed them (cold water, air dry). They didn’t shrink a ton, but just enough that the ear loops were really pulling on jis ears and popping off. But, I was in the store the other day and noticed that they had one color style for kids that had the adjustable ear loops, which I think is new. I held it up to a pack without the adjusters, and the ear loops on the new ones were definitely longer, so those could work. The style that they had were rather girly colors and designs so I didn’t get that one, but I’ll keep checking.

I can get the ON adult mask snug on his face with the ear adjusters, but it’s a lot of fabric on his little thin skinny face and I think the sides on his cheeks probably gap a little more than they should.

chlobo
10-08-2020, 01:42 PM
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08GKCZG5T is one. I have a few different ones. Unfortunately, they all fit differently - after 4 sets, I found one that fits my fat round face. Of course, I never use it...... but I do like how it fits ;)

Thanks!

mmsmom
10-08-2020, 02:27 PM
DS will be 11 in December. The ON kids maskS fit well until I washed them (cold water, air dry). They didn’t shrink a ton, but just enough that the ear loops were really pulling on jis ears and popping off. But, I was in the store the other day and noticed that they had one color style for kids that had the adjustable ear loops, which I think is new. I held it up to a pack without the adjusters, and the ear loops on the new ones were definitely longer, so those could work. The style that they had were rather girly colors and designs so I didn’t get that one, but I’ll keep checking.

I can get the ON adult mask snug on his face with the ear adjusters, but it’s a lot of fabric on his little thin skinny face and I think the sides on his cheeks probably gap a little more than they should.

The Old Navy kids size shrunk so much that I gave them to my 2 and 4 year old nieces. We all like the adult Old Navy masks. My kids favorite are the Cat & Jack from Target that have the nose pieces. DC are 11 & 13 and the size of adults but these masks fit them well. It’s their top choice for school days.

KrisM
10-08-2020, 02:30 PM
Now that I've been back to work a few months (hybrid) and the kids have been back to school for a little over a month, we are in agreement with our love for the Athleta masks (the pleated ones not the made to move ones). DD2 and I wear these often. DD1 likes them too but also likes the ON ones. I find I have the most luck with a nose wire, adjustable ear loops, and pleats. I find the non-pleated/fitted ones pull down off my nose when I talk, but the pleated (any pleated, not just the Athleta).

Here too. Both boys prefer the Athleta and DD likes ON the best. I think she'd like Athleta more if there were color choices. So each kid has 10 of their preferred style and I wash weekly. They have some of the others or unwanted colors as spares in their school bags and the cars. So far so good.

jgenie
10-08-2020, 02:47 PM
She has closed the store before, so I assumed maybe she closes it when she’s overwhelmed with orders. I hope you hear back from her!

I agree. I don’t think she’s closed as much as temporarily stopped taking orders so she can catch up. She had been wonderful to work with and I bet she’ll send you the replacement mask soon.

Reyadawnbringer
10-08-2020, 03:38 PM
Are most people preferring the pleated ones? I was having trouble with them because even with the nose wire it felt like it just sat right under my eyes whereas the fitted ones followed the contours of my face better and seemed more comfortable. I am just having trouble picking the best fitted ones and wonder if maybe I need to reconsider the pleated ones.

I’m having such a hard time picking masks. We did get the cat and Jack ones from target and they fit well after washing (and drying) twice. They shrunk up and it made for a better fit, but I don’t know if those are the best ones to get or not :(

PunkyBoo
10-08-2020, 03:58 PM
Are most people preferring the pleated ones? I was having trouble with them because even with the nose wire it felt like it just sat right under my eyes whereas the fitted ones followed the contours of my face better and seemed more comfortable. I am just having trouble picking the best fitted ones and wonder if maybe I need to reconsider the pleated ones.

I’m having such a hard time picking masks. We did get the cat and Jack ones from target and they fit well after washing (and drying) twice. They shrunk up and it made for a better fit, but I don’t know if those are the best ones to get or not :(

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMy kids and I don't like the pleated ones because the folds suck into our mouths when we talk, plus, yes, they bother my eyes with sitting in the bottom of my peripheral vision. My DH uses round and pleated- he doesn't mind the pleated as long as we iron them because the pleats otherwise collapse. But he has a bigger face and a beard.

jgenie
10-08-2020, 04:09 PM

I like the mamaseamstress masks best. I would keep an eye on her site and order when she reopens.

AngB
10-08-2020, 04:14 PM
The Old Navy kids size shrunk so much that I gave them to my 2 and 4 year old nieces. We all like the adult Old Navy masks. My kids favorite are the Cat & Jack from Target that have the nose pieces. DC are 11 & 13 and the size of adults but these masks fit them well. It’s their top choice for school days.

That's probably why they (Cat and Jack) don't fit my 9/7/5 yo's well! Maybe I will try drying them and washing a few times to see if they will shrink.

carolinacool
10-08-2020, 04:15 PM
I think I prefer pleated. Old Navy is my favorite. I have 15 (three packs) and have to stop myself from buying more. I think the colors and designs are great and I like the new holiday/winter designs that were just released. I have a round head and face and don't wear glasses and they fit me really well, Occasionally, it will creep up my face some, but I just pull it down. I have one of the round ones from Mama Seamstress. I like it, but it covers much more of my face and was too hot for me this summer. I also don't have as much talking room -- my mouth can draw the fabric in. But DH doesn't have that trouble, and the full coverage doesn't bother him.

DS has a round mask from Mama Seamstress that I bought back in the spring, but it slides down his face. The one I'm having remade has a nose wire, and I want to see if that makes a difference. But I think he might be like a PP and round/contour masks just aren't a great fit for his face.

ett
10-08-2020, 04:28 PM

The round style fits my kids better. After trying various brands (and spending way too much money), DS1 prefers the Allett masks the best. I bought 1 Mama Seamstress mask for DS2 a few months ago and it fit him very well, so I ordered 2 more about a month ago. But the 2 new ones I got were just a bit smaller, and therefore pull at his ears. They will probably be fine for wearing a short amount of time but not for all day in school. We also got some masks from a local company and they fit DS2 well.

While I do like the Athleta pleated masks, it doesn't have a very strong nose wire so I find myself needing to adjust the mask more when I wear it. It would be perfect if they made it with a stronger metal wire.

lizzywednesday
10-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Are most people preferring the pleated ones? I was having trouble with them because even with the nose wire it felt like it just sat right under my eyes whereas the fitted ones followed the contours of my face better and seemed more comfortable. I am just having trouble picking the best fitted ones and wonder if maybe I need to reconsider the pleated ones....

I think it depends.

I'm OK with them, but found ON's to be kinda big - the fit's pretty loose on me, but I have the older style without the adjusters. (Purchased mine in July.)

Target's shaped kind (I wear a S/M; the larger size is too big) is OK, but I felt like it moves too much with my nose, so the handful of Target ones I have are being left in the cars just in case we forget others.

jgenie
10-29-2020, 12:46 AM
For those waiting for MamaSeamstress - her shop is open again.

klwa
10-29-2020, 06:47 AM
Is anyone getting "mask accessories" for back to school/work? Things like ear savers and mask cords and mask boxes? Any positives and negatives there that you've seen?

PunkyBoo
10-29-2020, 11:03 AM
Is anyone getting "mask accessories" for back to school/work? Things like ear savers and mask cords and mask boxes? Any positives and negatives there that you've seen?A while back I bought some straps that Essence recommended from Amazon. DS2's school (hybrid) asked that the kids bring in ziploc baggies each day to set their mask in, so I sent him with the baggie and wearing the strap. Less than a week in, the principal requested that the kids have a strap or chain so they wouldn't drop the masks on the floor, lose the baggie, etc. DS2 has been using and really likes them.

essnce629
10-29-2020, 01:47 PM
A while back I bought some straps that Essence recommended from Amazon. DS2's school (hybrid) asked that the kids bring in ziploc baggies each day to set their mask in, so I sent him with the baggie and wearing the strap. Less than a week in, the principal requested that the kids have a strap or chain so they wouldn't drop the masks on the floor, lose the baggie, etc. DS2 has been using and really likes them.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using TapatalkYes, these are the ones we have. We each have a strap and wear it every time we wear our masks. We've had them for almost 4 months now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0882KNCG3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_7-VMFb1K82VAT

wendibird22
10-29-2020, 03:39 PM
DD1 is 13 and plays modified soccer. They are required to wear a mask at all times during practice and games. She's worn her ON pleated and athleta masks but found she prefers the generic paper pleated mask with nose wire for soccer. She says she can breath easier while running and it doesn't get heavy like cotton does when it gets wet (she's played in the rain many times).

DD2 mostly wears the ON pleated mask in the kid's size.

I still prefer the Athleta pleated mask but agree that the nose wire isn't as strong as I'd like it to be. I also have pleated with nose wire from Gap which I like and my least favorite are the ON, no wire, but adjustable loops. I just find them big/bulky for my petite face. The Athleta material seems the most flexible and breathable.