PDA

View Full Version : Reality Bites

westwoodmom04
07-01-2020, 11:08 AM
I watched Reality Bites with teenage dd the other night. Twenty five years later, and I am still pissed that Winona picked Ethan Hawke's character. Happy that dd wondered about the same, pointing out he's horribly mean to her.

Mommy_Mea
07-01-2020, 11:10 AM
Interestingly I read somewhere years ago that she wasn't supposed to pick either man at the end, she was supposed to pick herself.

Would have been a much better ending.

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2020, 11:12 AM
I watched Reality Bites with teenage dd the other night. Twenty five years later, and I am still pissed that Winona picked Ethan Hawke's character. Happy that dd wondered about the same, pointing out he's horribly mean to her.

I agree. Man, he was so full of himself. Now, it’s been ages since I’ve seen it but that’s my takeaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
07-01-2020, 11:41 AM
I can’t believe I’ve never seen this. It was huge right around my freshman year of college (might have been the summer before?) I remember all the posters and it’s giving me nostalgia. Now I want to watch it! Some movies just do not age well (or maybe this one wasn’t great to start?) I swear I remember those days and styles like they were yesterday!

Mommy_Mea
07-01-2020, 01:06 PM
I loved that movie so much back in the day, and the soundtrack was pretty much on repeat for a year. As much as his character was terrible, I love Ethan hawk. But I am afraid to watch it again that it wouldn't have aged well.

SnuggleBuggles
07-01-2020, 01:08 PM
I loved that movie so much back in the day, and the soundtrack was pretty much on repeat for a year. As much as his character was terrible, I love Ethan hawk. But I am afraid to watch it again that it wouldn't have aged well.

A truly fabulous soundtrack!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
07-01-2020, 01:09 PM
I was never a fan of Ethan Hawke (even in Dead Poets Society....I was more for Josh Charles), but yes Reality Bites did absolutely nothing for me in terms of making me like Ethan Hawke more. I did enjoy his role in Training Day though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinkitty
07-01-2020, 01:38 PM
Great soundtrack, meh movie. I remember seeing it and then wanting NOTHING to do with being Gen X. So off-putting to me to be lumped in with those characters.

scrooks
07-01-2020, 02:39 PM
I loved this movie and soundtrack....I agree that the ending sucks!

AnnieW625
07-01-2020, 03:12 PM
Great soundtrack, meh movie. I remember seeing it and then wanting NOTHING to do with being Gen X. So off-putting to me to be lumped in with those characters.

I watched it like once, but am on the younger side of generation x (born in 1977) so I never really associated the original movement and it seemed that neither did the kids my age. We had My So Called Life if we wanted angsty teenage drama, Friends (for comedy) and The Real World if we really wanted to few like we were watching adult TV. Ahh to go back to 1995.

Even with mom friends in real life I don’t hang out with those who were born in the early 70s because they still just seem that much older than I am....I still see them as the older siblings I never had. [emoji848]

almostmom
07-01-2020, 05:59 PM
I loved that movie, and will say that I totally fell for the a...hole Ethan Hawke. He was damaged and mean, but I felt like ultimately he cared and came around. And she fell for the bad boy. I don't think they'll get married, but I fell for that kind of guy once, and loved seeing it work out (I was not as lucky!).

I totally related to them. The angst, all of it. Watched it recently and couldn't tear myself away. And the beginning of video mashups and Ben Stiller really not getting their life and lifestyle, which was much more my lifestyle (still probably is) - I thought it was spot on. She wanted to like him, but they just weren't going to see eye to eye.

Just my take!

westwoodmom04
07-01-2020, 09:44 PM
Interestingly I read somewhere years ago that she wasn't supposed to pick either man at the end, she was supposed to pick herself.

Would have been a much better ending.

Agree, that would have been the best ending. But I found Ben Stiller endearing in this movie.

solsister
07-01-2020, 10:54 PM
Interesting. Haven't seen it for years, but have a friend who worked on the film. Ethan Hawke was even more irresistible in person. Lots of cute stories about him, and his "grunge".
I'll have to watch it with my teen daughter. I, actually, have a signed original script! I will have to skim the ending and see what happens in the script.
I love Ethan Hawke- he's in really cute movie with Rose Byrne and Chris O'Down, Juliet Naked. I love all three of them in this cute rom-com.