PDA

View Full Version : Help me think if a way to remind Ds to drink water throughout the day...

gatorsmom
07-01-2020, 11:22 AM
Because of the ADHD medication he takes daily, DS3 doesn’t feel thirst or hunger until his medicine wears
off at the end of the day. I suspect the medicine is leading him to become dehydrated. He’s showing all the symptoms of dehydration. He knows that he needs to drink more but he says he forgets or he doesn’t think of it. I was thinking that he could really use a bottle that reminds him to pick it up. He doesn’t have a smart phone (but he does have an iPad) so not sure he’d be able to use a smart bottle.

Does anyone here have any recommendations or ideas?

carolinamama
07-01-2020, 11:36 AM
Could you fill a glass of water at breakfast and insist that he drink it before he goes on to anything else? And then do the same another time or two throughout the day? DS2 simply forgets to drink until he is desperate or has a bad cramp. We live in the hot South and he plays sports so it's gotten really bad before but he still doesn't pay attention. It's more a matter of not wanting to stop what he is doing so even an alarm wouldn't work for us. So I fill his glass and insist he drink.

Maybe a little Gatorade mixed in with the water would make it more enticing if you aren't opposed?

klwa
07-01-2020, 12:44 PM
Are there any specific things he does during the day? If so, I'd put a post it on whatever he goes for.

On the ipad: "Drink 1 glass of water before turning me on."
On his bike: "Drink 1 glass of water before & after you ride."

Or get him a watch with alarms that can be set to go off at certain times, so he knows that he needs to get a glass.

marinkitty
07-01-2020, 01:47 PM
A fitbit that will vibrate if he isn't meeting water intake goals?

JBaxter
07-02-2020, 08:18 AM
I have 2 of these. https://www.amazon.com/CASAON-Motivational-Bottle-Marker-Tritan/dp/B07VSLW9XD Lots of different brands but gives times on the bottle. I’d you forget you know and catch up

KpbS
07-02-2020, 09:26 AM
This is what we do with a similar medicine issue. DC drinks a full (tall) glass of water each morning before breakfast. DC then drinks an extra glass of a beverage with breakfast, instead of one glass of juice, DC also drinks a glass of milk or another juice glass of water.

I set DC’s watch to sound an alarm at 10:30 am and 2:30 to cue him to drink a full glass of water then.

If we keep to this schedule and make sure DC finishes beverages at meals, the intake is sufficient for the extra liquid needs.

HTH

doberbrat
07-02-2020, 10:53 AM
dd1 has a bottle similar to JBATER 's and loves it. Has the added 'benefit' that her friends look at it and say look, its 10.... you're behind drink up. :ROTFLMAO: That would make me crazy but she likes it

mikala
07-02-2020, 01:11 PM
I'd try to tie it to habits as much as possible. Take a cup of water to bed and then drink it before your feet hit the floor when you wake up. Have a glass of water with each meal and snack, etc. Swimming in the pool? Have a bottle of water nearby and drink when you're toweling off. Frequently use the same restroom? Have a cup nearby, put a note on the mirror as a reminder and drink a glass after you wash your hands.

I'd also try to figure out how he prefers to drink. Some people drink more with straw cups, some open cups or wider mouth, some with icy water, etc.