PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound safe?

alootikki
07-01-2020, 01:47 PM
I would REALLY like to get my brows waxed/shaped - 3.5 months in quarantine has not been kind to my bushy eyebrows! I I'm in NJ, which is one of the few states where cases are currently declining. I feel like right now is a good window to get some "normal life" things done before cases start rising again!

I called my regular salon - basically a one-woman shop. Apparently she's wearing a mask, but not a face shield on top of the mask. I would have felt safe if the she was wearing a face shield in addition to the mask. So....would you feel safe with a brow wax if the technician is wearing a mask, and you double-up on masks (e.g. surgical mask with cloth mask on top)?

carolinacool
07-01-2020, 01:52 PM
I got my brows done earlier this month. I was prepared for the tech to just have on a mask, but she was wearing a face shield. But the mask alone would not have bothered me.

I usually get my lip done, but wasn't sure if she would do it since I would have to remove my mask for a couple of minutes, but she said it was fine. I guess wearing the face shield helped her feel better about it.

That said, I think my comfort level is a little higher than many here.

AnnieW625
07-01-2020, 03:17 PM
I got mine done and my esthetician was just wearing a mask. I was okay with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinamama
07-01-2020, 03:21 PM
I am pretty strictly social distancing but even I would be okay as long as I wore a well-fitting mask in addition. Of course this is in theory because we don't have declining cases and I haven't had my hair or brows done professionally.

HannaAddict
07-01-2020, 03:41 PM
Masks are not designed to protect you, but for fluids and droplets spewed our toward the mask wearer. With correctly fitted mask for both you and the aesthetician, I would be okay in an area with declining numbers. The face shield wouldn’t be the deal breaker.

lizzywednesday
07-01-2020, 04:01 PM
I'm also in NJ, and have been thinking about this a lot. I don't think I'm comfortable with anything happening near my eyes right now that I've not done myself, so I'm sticking with tweezers for the moment. (Although I'm considering one of those facial hair remover gadgets for my upper lip & chin. Not the trimmer thing, but the one that's effectively a tiny EpiLady that looks like a lipstick (https://www.ulta.com/flawless-instant-painless-facial-hair-remover?productId=xlsImpprod16641047&sku=2513786&cmpid=PS_Non!google!Product_Listing_Ads&cagpspn=pla&CATCI=pla-294680686006&CAAGID=18002902230&CAWELAID=330000200001219003&CATARGETID=330000200001332369&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6PD3BRDPARIsAN8pHuHbEonUBEDZDIUSTd8h _gqUEzPp4-4RLLTEn5dWExUH-B_a7indSlMaAsfBEALw_wcB).)

StantonHyde
07-01-2020, 04:09 PM
She is not going to cough droplets from her eyes. The face shield protects her, not you. Wear the mask, you’ll be fine

wencit
07-01-2020, 04:40 PM
Wasn't there a recent case where 2 hair stylists worked on 100+ people before discovering they were Covid positive? Everyone wore masks (both stylists and clients), and no one else got sick. I think that's pretty good evidence that masks by themselves work!

nfceagles
07-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Wasn't there a recent case where 2 hair stylists worked on 100+ people before discovering they were Covid positive? Everyone wore masks (both stylists and clients), and no one else got sick. I think that's pretty good evidence that masks by themselves work!

Yes, I read that follow up news article out of Missouri I think. It was a pretty cool unofficial science experiment on the effectiveness of masks.