PDA

View Full Version : How to practice for emergencies?

ncat
07-05-2020, 11:16 PM
Any pointers on teaching children to handle an emergency? I think my teenager is largely set, but I need to work through this with my younger two. I'm planning to have them practice making phone calls with cell and home phone and to talk through various scenarios.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2020, 08:45 AM
I think the Red Cross has good online materials and resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ncat
07-06-2020, 10:18 AM
Thanks! I will look there!
Context is recent incident in our neighborhood where husband apparently collapsed outside at night and wife didn't know what to do. I realize that my 7 year old is even more helpless and I'm not sure that my 11 year old would know what to do in a crisis.

SnuggleBuggles
07-06-2020, 11:26 AM
When things return to normal, Red Cross in person classes are great too! In my life I have done their first aid, CPR, lifeguarding and (when i was 12) babysitting. :)
I hope your neighbor is ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

doberbrat
07-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Do you want them to be able to call for help or give first aid? Having basic phone skills is #1 IMO - Can they make calls to friends/family? Do they know their address? From there its a pretty easy discussion. If someone isnt responding, call 911. Give your name, phone # and address. Then call a trusted adult. Stay safe and dont touch anyone else's blood.

Girl scouts also run first aid/cpr classes. We did a 'what to do in an emergency' mini session during an encampment. I imagine boy scouts do similar programs.

Zukini
07-06-2020, 12:34 PM
For adults - I created and laminated an emergency info sheet that is posted in our mud room that lists important information with our address and step by step, turn by turn directions with landmarks to our home. It also lists names, numbers and address of neighbors, doctors, and has medical / allergy info and where to find epi pens etc. It is pointed out to all babysitters and overnight guests.

For kids - son is just turned 6 and autistic. Had an incident two years ago where I slipped and fell in my home and he was able to follow instructions and successfully find and bring my phone for me. I don’t know if it was my tears but he knew it was serious and despite his verbal and communication challenges then, he aced it. (He also brought me a pillow and snacks and stuffies to cuddle with as I laid on the ground).

Since then we have practiced things like how to open locks and climb on a shoe rack to hit the garage door opener, in order to leave the house. He keeps his play fire extinguisher with the real ones so he can show an adult where they are. He is adept at running across yards (no sidewalks and no streetlights, so grass is much safer) and going to the neighbors homes alone to drop off little things for us. Everyone has RING doorbell cameras so if they saw him alone without a heads up text, they would certainly come running or if they weren’t home, they could text another neighbor who could help. I don’t know if he would do it in the dark, but we have lots of flashlights and he easily finds them to look for lost toys under the sofa. I think he could do it in an emergency, hopefully never have to find out.

I have photos added to the names of our Favorite people on my phone, and He knows my phone password and I let him unlock my phone often. He can find the phone app to dial Grandma and Grandpa himself. We also set up FaceTime on his little iPad and encourage him to use it with family members, and also to call us when we’ve gone out of town without him. We’ve also practiced how to manually unlock and open a car door to get out of a car, and where the horn is. He’s still harnessed but a useful skill nevertheless.

lizzywednesday
07-06-2020, 01:27 PM
When things return to normal, Red Cross in person classes are great too! In my life I have done their first aid, CPR, lifeguarding and (when i was 12) babysitting. :)...

You may not even have to wait! A lot of Red Cross community programming has migrated online. (Full disclosure: my SIL works for the Red Cross in their communications dep't for the NY-area chapter.)

For kids, parents, and teachers/caregivers, I recommend the Red Cross's "Pillowcase Project" (https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/emergency-preparedness-for-kids/disaster-preparedness-for-teachers.html) about emergency preparedness; OP, you may find this program is a good option for your DC. This is one of the workbooks, but check in with your local Red Cross chapter for more info:

https://www.redcross.org/content/dam/redcross/get-help/youth/MyPreparednessWorkbook.pdf

I also recommend the Brownie Girl Scouts' First Aid badge (https://www.gssef.org/content/dam/girlscouts-gssef/girl-experience/girl-scouts-at-home/flyers/Brownies%20-%20First%20Aid.pdf), which includes information not only on basic first aid principles, but what to do when you call 9-1-1. (The linked PDF was created by Girl Scouts of SE Florida and sums up the badge packet in 2 pages; it's great!)

Liziz
07-06-2020, 07:38 PM
If you're thinking all emergencies, then review a fire, too. Discuss scenarios with your kids and have a designated spot outside where they know to go once they get out of the house (in our area, the firefighters teach kids to go to the mailbox -- they check there for people first as kids have been taught that). And then actually practice setting off the fire alarms in your house and having the kids do what they're supposed to do.

For other emergencies, I agree that being capable of using the phone is the biggest. Also - make sure they know your phone numbers and their address! In the world of cell phones kids aren't taught phone numbers as much, but if there's an emergency when out and about, or kids get lost, etc. - it's still really important to know.

lizzywednesday
07-07-2020, 08:48 AM
If you're thinking all emergencies, then review a fire, too. Discuss scenarios with your kids and have a designated spot outside where they know to go once they get out of the house (in our area, the firefighters teach kids to go to the mailbox -- they check there for people first as kids have been taught that). And then actually practice setting off the fire alarms in your house and having the kids do what they're supposed to do.

One of the things the Red Cross's Pillowcase Project does is focus on things that are more likely to happen at home. I can't tell you how many home fires my SIL has had to send her team out to manage comm and/or comfort for since she started, and they are part of a smoke-detector education project ... and an installation team that goes into folks' homes each year (obviously, this didn't happen because of how hard-hit NYC & NJ were)

The Brownie First Aid badge also focuses on the common things that would happen at home, like home fires and when to/not to call 9-1-1 for help. Each GS level's Safety Award also focuses on a different aspect of common risks that you can prepare for.

For other emergencies, I agree that being capable of using the phone is the biggest. Also - make sure they know your phone numbers and their address! In the world of cell phones kids aren't taught phone numbers as much, but if there's an emergency when out and about, or kids get lost, etc. - it's still really important to know.

I agree with knowing your address - whether your 9-1-1 system uses tracing or not, whether you have a landline phone or not, knowing your address can save the dispatcher so much time!

I don't know if everyone's kids get those little "ID cards" with their school portraits, but I've taken to writing DH's and my cell numbers on the back of one and slipping it into DD's wallet whenever we travel. She treats it the same way I treat my driver's license (as ID.)