PDA

View Full Version : DS1 wants to start his own youtube channel. What do I need to know?

gatorsmom
07-07-2020, 06:20 PM
I'm not even sure what that means. But DS1 said it's something he really wants to do. He wants to play video games and comment on them. That's it. He plans to stay anonymous and not show is face. He said starting a youtube channel is one of those things he just really wants to try, even though he doubts it will make him money at all.

What is involved? What is the cost? What do I need to worry about? I haven't the foggiest clue about any of this. I figured someone here would know something. ;)

pharmjenn
07-07-2020, 06:54 PM
I am pretty sure there is not a cost. The son of a friend did videos showing off his toys when he was around 8yo. He wasn't allowed to show his face, and his only views were his family and us, but it didn't cost anything. The monetization doesn't come until you have a lot of subscribers, so he shouldn't expect to make money.

I think you should make sure his info is private (I don't know what is entailed) so that his email address, full name etc is hidden.
Otherwise, have fun! My DS12 watches gamers play ALL THE TIME!! and rarely knows what they look like.

Melaine
07-07-2020, 07:01 PM
It’s free. I know that. It’s pretty easy to start just make an account and start uploading videos. I get more views when I post live, not sure why.

Smillow
07-07-2020, 08:46 PM
My 11 year old has had a “Meme” channel for just over 2 years. They have a lot of fun with it, do a lot of editing and production. It’s very silly stuff. We monitor it for comments. It’s been fine. DS wanted to do a gaming channel, but when he tried it, he didn’t like it.

niccig
07-07-2020, 09:22 PM
DS has done a few. He uses a username that is same as his gaming login, but it’s nothing like his name. I made a rule of no inappropriate language. Some of the ones he listens to do occasionally swear. He doesn’t swear usually but sometimes when he’s playing with friends,he’ll say something. I can swear like a sailor so he’s heard it from me, but not in a video recording. I told him it’s out there forever. I occasionally check. He also got selected for a product promo to do a review. That he didn’t show his face as he had to wear the product’s eyeball mask.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
07-08-2020, 07:01 AM
Nothing much to do n your end but monitor it. Lol �� I found a video of ds4 demonstrating how easy it was to samurai chop apples with one of my new cutco chefs knives mom was not impressed ��. He does videos on Minecraft and roblox mainly

Melaine
07-08-2020, 07:08 AM
Nothing much to do n your end but monitor it. Lol �� I found a video of ds4 demonstrating how easy it was to samurai chop apples with one of my new cutco chefs knives mom was not impressed ��. He does videos on Minecraft and roblox mainly

:rotflmao:Glad that turned out ok! Yikes!

Melaine
07-08-2020, 07:09 AM
OP, I'm guessing this won't apply but there is a ring light on Amazon deal of the day. I'm thinking about getting it myself.

TwinFoxes
07-08-2020, 01:33 PM
The only cost would be if you decide to buy upgraded equipment, like mics and headsets.

mmsmom
07-08-2020, 06:58 PM
If you follow the Holderness Family they just posted today about their decision to let their 10 year old start a channel and ways they were protecting him. You can search them on FB or google their website. Two things that I recall: they have password so only they can post the videos. This way they see them before they get posted. Second is they turned off comments.

carolinamama
07-08-2020, 07:25 PM
If you follow the Holderness Family they just posted today about their decision to let their 10 year old start a channel and ways they were protecting him. You can search them on FB or google their website. Two things that I recall: they have password so only they can post the videos. This way they see them before they get posted. Second is they turned off comments.

That's so funny - I just came here to post the exact same thing.