PDA

View Full Version : Are y'all getting haircuts yet?

RedSuedeShoes
07-07-2020, 11:59 PM
I am seriously conflicted about this. I have an appt tomorrow. I scheduled it 3 weeks ago when my hair (growing out bangs) was driving me crazy. Now it's not bothering me so much and I can *almost tuck it behind my ears. Our case numbers have been rising the last week and I'm not feeling good about prioritizing a haircut when it's not truly a need. I'm sure my stylist must need the money, especially bc her husband is in a line of work that doesn't exist right now or for the foreseeable future (conventions). I texted her this evening. She very cheerfully said I should totally reschedule if I want to grow bangs out or if I don't feel safe. I'd feel guilty cancelling so last minute, but also don't feel at ease about going.

Anyone else?

ang79
07-08-2020, 12:06 AM
I haven't had a cut or salon dye since January. Had an appointment scheduled for March 20, but that got canceled since we were under a stay at home order. My stylist opened back up in June, but I had just done an at home all over dye (did not attempt high lights) so I told her I would call when I need an appointment. I'm OK going without a cut for the summer, as I normally keep it in a bun or ponytail with the heat and humidity. But I do miss my highlights. Not sure if I miss them enough to sit inside a salon for 2 hours though. I am considering just going for a trim (and also taking the girls for appointments with her - I figure her small salon is less busy than Great Clips where they usually go), in August before school starts up (if school starts up I mean!). But maybe I should schedule it sooner than later.....our cases are not bad but have started climbing again slowly, would hate to miss scheduling something and then salons to be shut down again. I hate how much time I put into thinking about the safety of doing things now with Covid!

KpbS
07-08-2020, 12:21 AM
Yes. We have been twice. Once she cut our hair outside and once inside. We went in one at a time and wore our masks the entire time of course. I prefer outside, but the heat index the other day was 110. Too hot :eek:

Percycat
07-08-2020, 12:34 AM
I haven't been since January -- I was scheduled to have an apt just as my city closed everything down. I normally have naturally curly hair about shoulder length.... its been fun growing it long. I'm starting to think about going because my ends are getting dry, but our numbers are increasing, so I'm not going just yet.

I used to get a manicure and pedicure at least once a month -- mainly because my big toe starts to hurt if I don't. Shortly after our stay-at-home began, I ordered pedicure tools, gel nail polish, and a light..... the pedicure tools are pretty easy to use and my manicure looks great. At this point, I don't see me going back for a pedicure/manicure unless I want to treat myself.

jgenie
07-08-2020, 12:59 AM
I haven’t had a haircut since February. My stylist sold me hair color to color my hair in May and I’m due again so I’ll buy the dye from her again. I know it’s been tough for her so I bought a gift certificate to cover my next three in salon cut and colors. When life gets back to normal I’ll pop in for my usual services but not before. I’ve thought of asking her to come cut hair on our deck but my DC are having fun growing out their hair and I’m not desperate yet.

smilequeen
07-08-2020, 01:31 AM
Yes. They wear masks, we wear masks. They spread out their appointments more. I feel completely comfortable with this. Personally, haircuts are a need around here, not a want...and making sure my hairstylist stays in business is important to me too.

mom2binsd
07-08-2020, 01:31 AM
My daughter and I had our haircut about 2 weeks ago. Our stylist and salon are only scheduling 2 people at a time, and there is plenty of space to be separated. Masks worn by all.

You text when you arrive. No blow drying or styling, just cutting. I saw another person in when I was in getting color. Our state was one of the last to open and they have strict guidelines.

Unless you don't think the stylist is following the rules, why not?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

niccig
07-08-2020, 02:41 AM
I haven’t because I can put it up in a ponytail. I stopped dying my hair years ago and accept the grey, it’s more silver white now. DH and DS went the first weekend it was open. They were desperate for a cut. Everyone wore masks, they were distanced from other people, waited in the car etc. It was fine. I’d go if you need to. Wear a mask, keep distance etc

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

essnce629
07-08-2020, 06:04 AM
I cut all my hair off myself like the first week of the lockdown!!! Normally I have shoulder length hair that I get chemically straightened (relaxed) every 6-8 weeks. So I cut off all my relaxed hair and just have my natural curls that are about 2" long now. The only one in our household that has gotten a real haircut is my mom, when she went home to San Diego for a week. Both she and the stylist wore masks.

WatchingThemGrow
07-08-2020, 06:23 AM
Got mine cut in a one-person salon studio. I waited in my car and texted her to open the door for me. My hair gets really big and hurts, so after 4 mos, I was glad to have it done. A friend cut DD's in the backyard, and I cut my guys' hair.

JBaxter
07-08-2020, 06:58 AM
I go to the salon. Small less then 10 total people in the shop she’s cut and colored my hair and my 11 yr old Boys are scheduled again next week before she goes on maternity leave. She only takes appointments of her current clients right now The stylists alternate days so they all aren’t in shop at the same time Even before covid the shop was clean and they sanitized

Melaine
07-08-2020, 07:22 AM
My husband has gotten two. I usually only get one every 6-12 months so I can deal and will just trim myself if I get desperate as I have many times in the past. But he keeps his really short. He signs up online so it only takes about 20 minutes from beginning to end and they wear masks. But, again, my husband is essential and has been working every day since the beginning.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2020, 07:45 AM
Nope. I trust the practices mine has in place but my hair looks fine so I’m in no rush. We go to a stylist who owns the salon. She has 2 employees now. Not a very big operation at all. Ds1 went for a haircut with her on graduation day and I sent him with double the amount to make up for the fact that I’m not scheduling anytime soon.
I got lucky because sometimes I can’t wait for my next appointment because my hair looks funky. It grew out really well. Plus, I don’t do anything so I can’t balance the risk/ reward to be in favor of going in yet.

sf333
07-08-2020, 07:58 AM
My hair hasn’t been cut since last year! Lol...

I’m still not comfortable with getting a cut. It’s inside and close proximity with another person. I know a few stylists and I’ve been thinking of asking one to cut my hair outside at one of our houses.

Mommy_Mea
07-08-2020, 08:06 AM
I started trimming my own bangs early on in the lock down, and then when my hair started getting too long, I chopped it off a few weeks ago. I didn't do a great job, and now I am a little desperate for a real hair cut, but can't justify the risk/reward. I texted my stylist to see if she was still doing house calls/outside cuts and she is only doing in-studio cuts. So now I am on the hunt for someone who will come to my house.

I have been cutting the kids hair, but we have Wahl trimmers from way back and they are easy! DH shaves his head [emoji16]

pinkmomagain
07-08-2020, 08:54 AM
Got my hair colored at the salon a few weeks ago. They took adequate precautions and my area's COVID rates are low.

gatorsmom
07-08-2020, 09:08 AM
Got my hair colored at the salon a few weeks ago. They took adequate precautions and my area's COVID rates are low.

This is me too. It’s a small salon and she took extra precautions.

My nephews wife is a barber/hair stylist. She comes over ever 3 weeks and cuts my boys and Dh hair outside in our driveway.

Someone here mentioned this story which I think is comforting: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

westwoodmom04
07-08-2020, 09:21 AM
Yes. They wear masks, we wear masks. They spread out their appointments more. I feel completely comfortable with this. Personally, haircuts are a need around here, not a want...and making sure my hairstylist stays in business is important to me too.

This, in the last two weeks, I’ve gotten my hair cut and separately taken both kids. Both places have everyone wear masks and a temperature check to get in.

carolinamama
07-08-2020, 09:24 AM
This is me too. It’s a small salon and she took extra precautions.

My nephews wife is a barber/hair stylist. She comes over ever 3 weeks and cuts my boys and Dh hair outside in our driveway.

Someone here mentioned this story which I think is comforting: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/hair-stylists-infected-covid19-face-masks.html

Rational or not, the situation in the above article is giving me some comfort about getting haircuts. One of my boys got a trim last week, DS1 goes this Friday. And I am scheduled for one in 2 weeks. We all take the first appointment of the day (8:00), the stylist wears a mask and so do we. Before quarantine, I was a once-a-month color and highlight girl. I haven't had it done professionally since early February. I've been using Madison Reed and I'm pretty happy with it right now but I think a trim will make me feel so much better.

melrose7
07-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Yes. DD1 went the first week we openEd, middle of May. Then back again last month for a bang trim. I went then also for a cut and then color then the following week. DD2 is going today for some color streaks in her hair as a birthday gift. DS and DH got their hair cut outside by us with clippers in May.
We go to a lady in town who does hair out of her home. First time she wore a mask, hasn’t since. We are comfortable with her not wearing one and we don’t either.

carolinacool
07-08-2020, 09:31 AM
Normally I have shoulder length hair that I get chemically straightened (relaxed) every 6-8 weeks.

Same! Except I go ever 12-13 weeks. And I wasn't ready to go natural. lol I was really concerned about breakage, so I tried to take care of my hair the best I could. When NC allowed stylists to reopen, I flew into that chair (at that point, I was about 16 weeks). Unfortunately I did have some breakage, but it wasn't too bad.

She works alone out of her home and I was the only client there at the time. We both wore masks,except hers kept slipping down. I was probably there 2.5 hours. DH and DS go to Great Clips and they've gone twice, I believe. Masks, wait in the car until it's there time, etc.

gymnbomb
07-08-2020, 09:34 AM
I haven’t, but my husband and father have. I would feel ok with it where I live if I really wanted mine cut, but if I lived somewhere like South Carolina or Florida or Arizona I would not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JamiMac
07-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Yes, I got mine cut and highlighted. She wore a mask and I wore a mask. It’s a pretty large, airy salon with space between chairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DualvansMommy
07-08-2020, 10:20 AM
I just had mine cut last week for 1st time since January! I was due for cut and color mid March when we got shutdown. So I used their home dye kit end of April.

I liked how my salon handled things. Stay in car until stylist is ready & texts you to come in, take my temp and hand sanitizer everywhere. Masks wore by me and stylist. Plexi glass between hair washing stations. I just had my hair cut without blow dry. Contactless payment; over my phone with vemno and no making appointments for next one in person but on your phone to reduce paper/typing on their computers and surface space. I’m due to go back in for coloring only tomorrow. I was comfortable to do it cuz the numbers are low in my state, and wouldn’t feel comfortable if it was rising like we had in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Globetrotter
07-08-2020, 10:24 AM
I’ve been thinking about this. It would by far be the riskiest thing I’ve done, if I go ahead with it. So my curly salon will be allowed to open soon it seems, and she has been spending the last few months making elaborate plans to keep safe. If anyone, she is extremely trustworthy to the best of her capability. I would feel much more comfortable if she would just come to my house and do it outside with masks on, but I haven’t asked her yet and not sure if I will. I don’t know if I’m ready to go inside. It’s a small salon with only two chairs now, As they reconfigured it, but Only one employee at a time and they will do temperature checks, and a bunch of other precautions. You do the consult by video chat before you go in. It does have very tall ceilings, which is a good thing, and she says the circulation is good. Here is the list of guidelines: https://www.sccgov.org/sites/covid19/Documents/Mandatory-Directives-Personal-Care-Services.pdf

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… Because I live in a place where people tend to be on the compliant side and because businesses mostly follow practices, I can feel more comfortable leaving the house. If I lived in a place like Arizona or Florida, it would be pretty scary.

eta: DD is growing her hair out to donate, and I haven’t cut mine since November. I am kind of vain about my grays, Though I have grown them out a lot more than usual. Dd has done two permanent touchups for me at home. That doesn’t seem too bad so I don’t think I’ll be getting it colored at a salon until this is done. I normally get it cut twice a year. I’m thinking I should probably go this summer because it’s going to be much worse in the fall and winter again. we’ve cut dh and ds’s hair once at home with the trimmers and scissors.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2020, 11:17 AM
I'm not comfortable with going for a haircut yet; our salons were allowed to open a short time ago, they're by appointment only, everyone needs to mask, which means harm-reduction for stylists and customers is prioritized, but I'm still not going anywhere inside yet.

It's actually more pressing for me to chat with my optometrist; I'm down to my last (unopened) pair of contacts and have been wearing an old 'script pair of glasses and docs' offices like hers were only allowed to open last month.

AnnieW625
07-08-2020, 11:25 AM
Yes we all went last month. I just get a basic cut with no dye. I hadn’t had a haircut since January. Dh is scheduled for another cut this Saturday. I had absolutely no problem following social distancing rules and wearing a mask as did the stylist. There was one other client in their when we were there. I was also happy to support a local business.

There was no way I was cutting anyone in my families hair on my own. DH has the longest hair I had ever seen him with.

ETA: no blow dries in California

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
07-08-2020, 11:41 AM
Same! Except I go ever 12-13 weeks. And I wasn't ready to go natural. lol I was really concerned about breakage, so I tried to take care of my hair the best I could. When NC allowed stylists to reopen, I flew into that chair (at that point, I was about 16 weeks). Unfortunately I did have some breakage, but it wasn't too bad.

She works alone out of her home and I was the only client there at the time. We both wore masks,except hers kept slipping down. I was probably there 2.5 hours. DH and DS go to Great Clips and they've gone twice, I believe. Masks, wait in the car until it's there time, etc.

Carolinacool did you get your hair straightened? Not sure how that would work here. I dont think they're allowing blowdrying. I've had my hair natural for a couple of years but Im thinking of going back to straightening it. With my hair natural I need to do it in the am and I'm thinking I'm going to want to wash my hair at night after being in a classroom all day.

did you keep a mask on the whole time?

ezcc
07-08-2020, 12:22 PM
1800 contacts does vision exams online- I doubt it is much good, but if your prescription is unchanged and you just need to refill contacts might be worth a try. I am in the same boat, and might try it just to get through the next 6 months or so. My prescription hasn't changed in forever.

gatorsmom
07-08-2020, 12:27 PM
Carolinacool did you get your hair straightened? Not sure how that would work here. I dont think they're allowing blowdrying. I've had my hair natural for a couple of years but Im thinking of going back to straightening it. With my hair natural I need to do it in the am and I'm thinking I'm going to want to wash my hair at night after being in a classroom all day.

did you keep a mask on the whole time?

I’m not Carolina mom but 2 weeks ago I got a full color/ highlights/ conditioning treatment, cut and dry. I had my mask on the whole time. I thought it would get wet with chemicals/water around the ears, and the stylist said it might, but it didn’t. It never really got in the way.

twowhat?
07-08-2020, 12:48 PM
I buzzed mine at home several weeks ago and it was the best.decision.ever! LOL!!! I can trim it myself now and see no need to ever go into a salon again hahahaha....

But I would probably feel comfortable going as long as: masks on everyone; understanding from hair stylist to just get the hair done with minimal talking; sanitizing hands/equipment between clients, social distancing if multiple chairs. There was that salon in Missouri (I think) where a couple of stylists had COVID-19 but did not infect any clients due to these safety precautions. For me personally, I would probably choose to wear a surgical mask taped to my face (instead of using straps) to eliminate any air leaks and also to facilitate the hair cutting. And I would probably feel even better if stylist was wearing a face shield in addition to a mask since it's a good amount of time having someone so close to your face. I know several people who have gone and gotten haircuts/color and so far I don't know of anyone who has run into a problem.

PZMommy
07-08-2020, 05:23 PM
I went to a small salon and got my hair done and felt totally safe and felt they went above and beyond with their safety measures.

I took my son to Fantastic Sams this week as he was in dire need of a cut. I was less than impressed with their safety protocols. One of the stylists didn’t even have their mask covering their nose. He was no where near my child, otherwise I would have spoken up. Next time I will pay more and take them to my small salon as I felt they were much better safety wise.

jgenie
07-08-2020, 05:31 PM
I went to a small salon and got my hair done and felt totally safe and felt they went above and beyond with their safety measures.

I took my son to Fantastic Sams this week as he was in dire need of a cut. I was less than impressed with their safety protocols. One of the stylists didn’t even have their mask covering their nose. He was no where near my child, otherwise I would have spoken up. Next time I will pay more and take them to my small salon as I felt they were much better safety wise.

The barber shop my boys visit is always packed. If we don’t time it correctly, we can wait over an hour. When they decide they’re ready for haircuts I will be taking them to my salon. I can’t imagine their barber shop will be able to safely cut hair unless they go to an online reservation system. It’s a one man show and I don’t think that will happen.

essnce629
07-08-2020, 05:38 PM
Same! Except I go ever 12-13 weeks. And I wasn't ready to go natural. lol

Haha, me neither!!! But I did say that when I turned 40 I wanted to cut all my hair off and go natural. My hair has been relaxed since I was 8 years old and I had no idea what my curls looked liked. I just turned 39 last week so decided close enough and if I hated it I really wouldn't be seeing many people until the fall anyways! So far so good and it seems to be growing pretty fast (already an inch since I cut it).

scrooks
07-08-2020, 05:48 PM
I’ve been in twice since she opened at the end of May. It’s a very small salon. There were no more than 3-4 other people in the whole place when I was there. All masked and very clean. I waited in the car before going in. It was fine.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Well, my hairdresser just texted. She tested positive for Covid. So, yeah, I’ll stick with avoiding that activity.

essnce629
07-08-2020, 06:33 PM
Well, my hairdresser just texted. She tested positive for Covid. So, yeah, I’ll stick with avoiding that activity.

Oh wow, that's too bad. Hopefully she has a mild case.

SnuggleBuggles
07-08-2020, 06:44 PM
Oh wow, that's too bad. Hopefully she has a mild case.

Luckily she’s young so hopefully she’s ok. My mom talked to her on the phone and she said that she sounded terrible. Our hairdresser has Hashimoto’s so that’s a curve. [emoji20]

ahisma
07-08-2020, 08:31 PM
No. Permitted here in MI, but out of our comfort level. I've been rocking a ponytail. DH is bald. DS2 has curly hair and wears my DIY cut well. DS1's DIY cut makes him look like a cult member, but I'm hoping he doesn't notice.

Snow mom
07-08-2020, 09:23 PM
No one in my household is having haircuts. DD and I both tend to only do trims very infrequently and there is no reason to go now. DS was already growing his hair out—it’s down to his shoulders now but he is happy with it. DH just happened to get a shorter than normal haircut the week before the shutdown. He is certainly long overdue but will not go to have it cut for safety reasons. I’ll probably try cutting it this weekend. He wants to buzz it so doesn’t care if I mess it up.

I’ll note we are in a relatively safe area of a state with falling case numbers. But we aren’t taking any risks that aren’t necessary. I expect eventually our cases will turn back up.

lizzywednesday
07-08-2020, 09:57 PM
1800 contacts does vision exams online- I doubt it is much good, but if your prescription is unchanged and you just need to refill contacts might be worth a try. I am in the same boat, and might try it just to get through the next 6 months or so. My prescription hasn't changed in forever.

I think that'll vary based on your state and your insurance. We're trying not to go through our insurance for the "triage" stuff, but, at 42 and at a risk for other issues, I'm also concerned I need more than my distance-vision corrected.

And then there's DD, who's entering 5th grade in the fall. 5th grade is when my distance vision went kaput and she'll absolutely need an in-person exam.

carolinacool
07-08-2020, 10:33 PM
Haha, me neither!!! But I did say that when I turned 40 I wanted to cut all my hair off and go natural. My hair has been relaxed since I was 8 years old and I had no idea what my curls looked liked. I just turned 39 last week so decided close enough and if I hated it I really wouldn't be seeing many people until the fall anyways! So far so good and it seems to be growing pretty fast (already an inch since I cut it).

That's awesome! I bet it's super cute on you. I have a big round head that I don't think was meant for a teeny fro.

My granny was a beautician, so I grew up with a hot comb and singed ears. lol My mom finally let me switch to a relaxer in 9th grade. My granny, rest her soul, was not pleased. :rotflmao:

icunurse
07-08-2020, 10:34 PM
I went for a haircut only (was due for some highlights) the second week of June. I wanted to see how things went before scheduling a longer appt. I have been with the stylist for years and she has just opened her own place (and will be opening another soon). I trust her and she knows that she has too much to lose to be sloppy. She also has some medical issues and is staying safe. We were separated 6+ feet, only let inside when your stylist was ready, had a temp taken and signed a waiver that you don’t have symptoms. Everything was extra clean (chairs were wiped down and a sign placed on it, hair barely had time to hit the floor). Dried and styled (was a bit nervous about that) I hadn’t had a haircut since January, so it was a wonderful experience. Getting a haircut with highlights in 2 weeks.

RedSuedeShoes
07-08-2020, 11:15 PM
OP here. So, I ended up going. Our area is not a hot spot (& hasn't been), and most people are following precautions pretty well. And my hair has been driving me crazy for a long time. I'd only been there once before, so I don't have a long history with the stylist or the salon. I did a lot of texting the stylist questions, etc. beforehand. I went with wet hair so she could skip shampooing, and I wore an N95 mask which was awesome - great fit and comfort, and we planned to skip blowdrying. Once I got there and she saw my hair, we agreed I really only needed a bang trim so that was great. In general, I felt good about the procedures they had in place - the whole front wall of the place was open (I didn't realize it when I went in the winter but it opens up like a garage door) and they had ceiling fans on (don't know if that's good or bad but I'm thinking mostly good), they have you wait in the car till they text, do a symptom check questionnaire and use hand sanitizer when you come in, no one can be in there without a mask and they only have 4 stylists and clients at a time. However, I was very surprised about one thing: there was a stylist and client in the chair right next to us!! And they were using the blowdryer! So I wasn't very happy about that. Also, the stylist was very chatty, which is typical I know, but I kind of thought right now maybe it would be better to not be. I also felt a lot of sympathy for her, though, bc she is a total extrovert and said how depressed she was during shutdown when she couldn't interact with people.

It feels so good to have my hair out of my face finally. And it was nice to do a sort of normal thing. But I think I should've asked about the chair spacing before deciding rather than assuming they would use the most distant chairs from each other (I think maybe each stylist was using their regular chair, no matter which stylists were there at one time).