PDA

View Full Version : Which Couch?

bisous
07-14-2020, 09:57 AM
I am supposed to be working right now. Also, DH isn't sure our kids are ready to treat a new couch properly which is a valid concern. But because I can't stop thinking about couches, I thought I'd pose the question.

Here are my two contenders:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/kivik-sectional-5-seat-with-chaise-tallmyra-beige-s59338556/

or

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/radley-5-pc.-fabric-chaise-sectional-sofa-with-corner-piece-created-for-macys?ID=7531983&CategoryID=37394&swatchColor=Heavenly%20Mocha%20Grey

My 17yo couch is from Macys. It was well made THEN.

I like IKEA. I know not all do. I also like, as someone pointed out, that IKEA sells recognizable brands.

I can buy either with cash. This is not a need. But it would sure up my living room game!

TIA!

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2020, 10:11 AM
Well, I’m waiting to try that Macy’s one in person because I really liked it when someone posted it a few weeks ago. But, here will be my sticking points- and I can’t get those answers re. them on their description:
-are the seat cushions reversible and interchangeable? (A must for me)
-are the back cushions stationary or are they also interchangeable (I loathe movable ones! They look messy and it’s one more chore)
-are they tall enough to be supportive of my tall dh? That ikea one looks iffy. The Macy’s one looks like what we already have and is good.
-how is the seat depth? That has to be tested in person. I like my feet and back to be able to touch at the same time
-the arms on the Macy’s one look more comfortable
-overall the Macy’s one looks more sturdy
-while in theory a removable cover sounds practical, it’ll never look great again after you launder it (usually). It also might get bunchy, saggy or overall just not nice as time goes on. But I could be projecting my anti-ikea sentiment. ;)

The Macy’s one just seems better all around but you need to go sit in them. I had a Crate and Barrel one all picked out last time around. Went to the store, sat down and immediately stood back up. It was an instant no. Don’t take the kids when deciding. Too many opinions.
Check out Lazy Boy, Value City and Ashley too for comparable budget options.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

twowhat?
07-14-2020, 10:14 AM
The IKEA KIVIK hands down for the removable washable cover. I've sat in it (it was a contender for DH's office space but the proportions ended up being too large) and it is comfortable. It may not hold up as well, maybe, but just being able to keep it clean make it the winner for me :)

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2020, 10:38 AM
The IKEA KIVIK hands down for the removable washable cover. I've sat in it (it was a contender for DH's office space but the proportions ended up being too large) and it is comfortable. It may not hold up as well, maybe, but just being able to keep it clean make it the winner for me :)

I’ve never had a couch with a removable cover. I spot clean as needed and it looks fine. It doesn’t seem like a make or break. :)
Is the ikea one a canvas type fabric? I do find that they show lots of spots and stains. The Macy’s one will hide more because of the textured fabric.

bisous
07-14-2020, 10:41 AM
I’ve never had a couch with a removable cover. I spot clean as needed and it looks fine. It doesn’t seem like a make or break. :)
Is the ikea one a canvas type fabric? I do find that they show lots of spots and stains. The Macy’s one will hide more because of the textured fabric.

I don’t believe it’s a canvas type fabric. It looks textured. I’d love to see it in person. I actually need a dresser from IKEA so maybe when I pick it up I can see it? Maybe not because of our recent closures.

AnnieW625
07-14-2020, 10:55 AM
I tried the Radley sectional a few weeks ago at Macy’s and I thought it was a little too soft. I liked the feel of the Elliot sofa better, but sofa preferences really depend on the person.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/elliot-ii-138-fabric-3-pc.-chaise-sectional-created-for-macys?ID=6836465&CategoryID=29391&swatchColor=Merit%20Dove%20Beige

We also found this one to be comfortable as well:
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/jollene-113-2-pc.-sectional-created-for-macys?ID=4381200&CategoryID=37394&swatchColor=Midnight%20Blue

I think we saw this one in the store as well, but it was sold under a different name I can’t find on their webpage:
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/wedport-3-pc.-fabric-sectional-sofa-with-armless-apartment-sofa-cuddler-created-for-macys?ID=9792896&CategoryID=37394&swatchColor=Napa%20Steel%20Grey

This one was the most expensive, but it was definitely firm and felt well built:
https://www.macys.com/shop/product/doss-ii-3-pc.-fabric-l-loveseat-sectional?ID=4594597&CategoryID=37394&swatchColor=Doss%20Nickel%20Grey

I said it before but I love Ikea for a lot of things, but I don’t know if I would buy a couch from them and expect it to last 17 years. If you want something that is going to last a long time I would go with one of the ones from Macy’s. I also wouldn’t buy a couch without trying it out first, but that is just me. I would wait it out if you can’t try it first. I don’t need to buy a couch now, but would like one once we move into our new place, but I wouldn’t order without DH sitting in it as well (he wasn’t with me the day we tried the sofas, only Dd1).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2020, 11:04 AM
I don’t believe it’s a canvas type fabric. It looks textured. I’d love to see it in person. I actually need a dresser from IKEA so maybe when I pick it up I can see it? Maybe not because of our recent closures.
As much as I am not an IKEA fan, their Hemnes dressers are great! :)

Another criteria- height of arms. I'm really picky about those now. I don't like them too high or too low. The IKEA one looks too low for me.

carolinacool
07-14-2020, 11:16 AM
I agree that you will likely get longer use from the Macy's couch. I also agree with not buying a couch you can't sit on. We went shopping two weeks ago, inspired in part by your previous thread. We went to five stores and must have sat on 20 sofas. DH took the lead since he had some very specific things he wanted - a chaise, deep seating. We ended up with this one from Ashley, which is scheduled for delivery in August.

https://www.ashleyfurniture.com/c/furniture/living-room/sectional-sofas/APK-94401-L2.html

It does not have reversible seat cushions, which I would have preferred, but the back cushions are movable, which I do like. And since it's deep seated, my feet sort of dangle when I sit back lol, but that's OK.

ourbabygirl
07-14-2020, 11:33 AM
Our leather sectional and dining room table are from Macy's, and they've held up well!

I generally don't love Ikea furniture for main pieces, especially ones you're going to sit on multiple times a day, but I haven't sat in this one, so maybe it's just as comfortable as the Macy's one. I like all of the color choices of the Macy's one, and the option to change the arm position (left/ right). Also, I generally think that if you can get a higher quality piece on major sale, it's better than getting one that's just always cheap. I prefer sofas with rounded arms so if someone is laying flat out on it and wants to put their head against the sofa arm, it's more comfortable (just a weird quirk of mine :)).
I guess I would take a close look at the construction of each, and pick the one that's more well-made.

Good luck! Sofa shopping is so time-consuming, it's like picking a kitchen table, jeans, and swim suit- hard to find the perfect fit! I'm excited for you and your new sofa, though! :cheerleader1:

essnce629
07-14-2020, 01:33 PM
If you type in Kivik in the Ikea search and look at all their Kivik options then you'll see that the Macy's couch overall has much better reviews. I would have a very hard time buying a couch without sitting on it first. When we bought a new couch several years ago some were way too shallow, some were way too deep, others had seat cushions that were too low, etc that you wouldn't be able to determine without seeing in person. So I'd go asap, especially since everything is shutting down again. Warning though-- my mom and I went to Ikea this weekend and the line to get in was bare minimum an hour long in near 100 degree weather (although covered with a giant tent). We ended up just leaving and going home!!! Seems like malls are shutting down here again too.

Our first couch was spot clean only with back cushions that weren't removable. My boys were super young back then and from all their jumping around they caused the back cushions to rip away from the back! So I said no more attached cushions the second time around. I also hated that I couldn't take all the covers off and just throw them in the washing machine when someone spilled something, the cat threw up on the couch, etc! Our new couch is entirely slip covered with everything removable and washable. It's amazing to see how disgusting everything gets after just 2 months or so!!! I wash everything multiple times a year.

PunkyBoo
07-14-2020, 01:50 PM
Well, I’m waiting to try that Macy’s one in person because I really liked it when someone posted it a few weeks ago. But, here will be my sticking points- and I can’t get those answers re. them on their description:
-are the seat cushions reversible and interchangeable? (A must for me). YES THEY ARE. SOME CAN'T BE INTERCHANGED THOUGH DUE TO SHAPE.
-are the back cushions stationary or are they also interchangeable (I loathe movable ones! They look messy and it’s one more chore). INTERCHANGEABLE. IT'S NICE SO YOU CAN MOVE/REVERSE IF ONE GETS MUSHED FROM THE KIDS SITTING DIRECTLY ON THE TOP (ASK ME HOW I KNOW...)
-are they tall enough to be supportive of my tall dh? That ikea one looks iffy. The Macy’s one looks like what we already have and is good. YES. WE ARE A VERY TALL FAMILY. DS1 IS 6'5" AND GROWING... WE ARE ALL COMFORTABLE IN THE COUCH.
-how is the seat depth? That has to be tested in person. I like my feet and back to be able to touch at the same time THEY ARE DEEPER THAN MOST COUCHES WE TRIED, BUT WE ALSO HAVE ADDED THROW PILLOWS TO ACCOMMODATE THE AMOUNT OF DEPTH/BACK SUPPORT EACH PERSON WANTS.
-the arms on the Macy’s one look more comfortable THEY ARE A GOOD HEIGHT AND COMFORTABLE.
-overall the Macy’s one looks more sturdy AGREED
-while in theory a removable cover sounds practical, it’ll never look great again after you launder it (usually). It also might get bunchy, saggy or overall just not nice as time goes on. But I could be projecting my anti-ikea sentiment. ;)
[/url]

We have that Macy's couch, and are also Ikea fans ;) and have purchased Ikea sodas in the past. I've answered the questions posted above, in all caps.
The Macy's couch fabric has a texture to it (kinda ribbed). I spilled an entire glass of water with Natural Calm mixed into it on the chaise prob a couple of weeks ago, and I just blotted it with towels to soak up as much liquid as possible. Once dry the Mark was completely gone. But we don't allow any messy food in the living room.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

bisous
07-14-2020, 01:57 PM
We have that Macy's couch, and are also Ikea fans ;) and have purchased Ikea sodas in the past. I've answered the questions posted above, in all caps.
The Macy's couch fabric has a texture to it (kinda ribbed). I spilled an entire glass of water with Natural Calm mixed into it on the chaise prob a couple of weeks ago, and I just blotted it with towels to soak up as much liquid as possible. Once dry the Mark was completely gone. But we don't allow any messy food in the living room.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Dang. Sounds a ton like what I have now. Wish I could just pull the trigger but having trouble convincing DH!

Aishe
07-14-2020, 04:06 PM
We actually owned both sofas in our old house, so I'll just add a couple notes.

- Both sofas are structurally very sturdy. The Kivik is really solid. However, I'm not sure the cushions are as good quality on the Kivik. I don't remember how firm it was when we first got the Kivik, but by the time we'd owned both couches a few years, the Kivik cushions were definitely softer than the Macy's. Still really comfortable, but maybe not a great choice if you prefer a very firm couch.
- The Macy's couch has more bounce to it than the Kivik, if that makes sense. Kind of like a spring mattress vs a foam mattress. My ds loved to jump on the Macy's couch when he was younger. He couldn't get the same effect from the Kivik.
- I'm not convinced the Kivik was easier to clean than the Macy's sofa. Yes, you can wash the covers on the Kivik, and that's easy enough to do with the cushion covers. But to wash the rest of the cover you have to essentially disassemble the entire couch. It's a real pain, and for that reason we only did it a couple times. The fabric of the Macy's couch was much easier to spot clean than the Kivik (although the Kivik may have covers made of different fabrics, which could change that). Also, I washed the cushion covers from the Macy's couch on the hand wash cycle a few times and let them air dry. They looked as good as new.
- The flat arms on the Kivik were handy for setting things down, but you definitely needed a pillow if you wanted to lean on them.
- The back of the Macy's couch is higher.

We really did like both couches, so I think it just comes down to personal preference. The Kivik was more . . . lounge-y, for lack of a better word. You kind of sink into it. The Macy's couch was also very comfortable - I spent most evenings on it - but in a more firm, supportive way.

Hope that helps and hope you're able to pull the trigger on one soon!

bisous
07-14-2020, 04:12 PM
We actually owned both sofas in our old house, so I'll just add a couple notes.

- Both sofas are structurally very sturdy. The Kivik is really solid. However, I'm not sure the cushions are as good quality on the Kivik. I don't remember how firm it was when we first got the Kivik, but by the time we'd owned both couches a few years, the Kivik cushions were definitely softer than the Macy's. Still really comfortable, but maybe not a great choice if you prefer a very firm couch.
- The Macy's couch has more bounce to it than the Kivik, if that makes sense. Kind of like a spring mattress vs a foam mattress. My ds loved to jump on the Macy's couch when he was younger. He couldn't get the same effect from the Kivik.
- I'm not convinced the Kivik was easier to clean than the Macy's sofa. Yes, you can wash the covers on the Kivik, and that's easy enough to do with the cushion covers. But to wash the rest of the cover you have to essentially disassemble the entire couch. It's a real pain, and for that reason we only did it a couple times. The fabric of the Macy's couch was much easier to spot clean than the Kivik (although the Kivik may have covers made of different fabrics, which could change that). Also, I washed the cushion covers from the Macy's couch on the hand wash cycle a few times and let them air dry. They looked as good as new.
- The flat arms on the Kivik were handy for setting things down, but you definitely needed a pillow if you wanted to lean on them.
- The back of the Macy's couch is higher.

We really did like both couches, so I think it just comes down to personal preference. The Kivik was more . . . lounge-y, for lack of a better word. You kind of sink into it. The Macy's couch was also very comfortable - I spent most evenings on it - but in a more firm, supportive way.

Hope that helps and hope you're able to pull the trigger on one soon!

Super helpful! Leaning towards the Macy’s couch for the high back. DH has a super long torso.

Myira
07-14-2020, 06:21 PM

I was just about to say the exact same thing. With kids, I just cannot do sofas without washable covers, no matter how nice they are to look at and sit.

bisous
07-14-2020, 06:34 PM
I was just about to say the exact same thing. With kids, I just cannot do sofas without washable covers, no matter how nice they are to look at and sit.

I'm pretty sure you can wash the cushion covers on the Macy's one. I know I can wash mine (but I've never thrown it in the wash--I do take them off to scrub robustly and let dry in the sun!)

Gracemom
07-15-2020, 04:10 PM
We ordered the Macy's Wedport but it won't come in until August. We liked the fabric on the Wedport much better than the one you linked in your post, which was not as soft. Our Macy's was empty. We wore masks and felt safer than going to the grocery store.

SASM
07-15-2020, 11:50 PM
We love IKEA. Four years ago we bought this sofa as a three-cushion option in the grey-beige linen: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/stocksund-sofa-ljungen-medium-gray-black-wood-s39315928/ It has held up really well. Super comfortable. I love the slipcovers, although, thankfully, I haven’t needed to wash them for stains, etc. we were looking at getting a sectional but decided that, should we need to move, two sofas would be a more flexible fit in various living rooms as opposed to the sectional. Glad we went in that direction...it was a lot cheaper to buy the two sofas and two slipcover sets (to seasonally switch things up!) than to buy our (almost) custom sectional. My kids were cracking up one day when we were watching House Hunters International and saw our exact sofa [emoji1787] Good luck with the decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbbhb
07-18-2020, 02:26 AM
So funny- I had narrowed down to those two also. I *almost* ordered the ikea one without seeing it because we know this is sort of a five year couch to just get us through the rest of the messy kid stage, but I got off work early one day and went by and saw it in person. It just wasn’t for me. It was smaller than I was expecting and the fabric wasn’t what i expected either. I was planning to go see the Macy’s one but saw this one Costco and just bought it somewhat impulsively knowing I could return it if I didn’t like it in my living room. We love it! Super comfy and the fabric is great for kids. I love that the back cushions zip in to place (I hate when couch cushions slouch) but I do wish the bottoms were reversible. It was $999 in store.

https://www.costco.com/maycen-fabric-sectional-with-ottoman.product.100572871.html

Mommy_Mea
07-18-2020, 06:04 AM
I have sat on this couch at Costco, it is really comfy for a "small" couch. I love the texture of the fabric.
So funny- I had narrowed down to those two also. I *almost* ordered the ikea one without seeing it because we know this is sort of a five year couch to just get us through the rest of the messy kid stage, but I got off work early one day and went by and saw it in person. It just wasn’t for me. It was smaller than I was expecting and the fabric wasn’t what i expected either. I was planning to go see the Macy’s one but saw this one Costco and just bought it somewhat impulsively knowing I could return it if I didn’t like it in my living room. We love it! Super comfy and the fabric is great for kids. I love that the back cushions zip in to place (I hate when couch cushions slouch) but I do wish the bottoms were reversible. It was $999 in store.

https://www.costco.com/maycen-fabric-sectional-with-ottoman.product.100572871.html