PDA

View Full Version : What to consider when buying laptop for college?

JustMe
07-14-2020, 01:26 PM
Dd is going into her senior year at high school and needs a laptop for various reasons. I would like to get her something that would be useful for next year (at least!) as well. Anything to keep in mind as far as features, brands, etc? She is suggesting a surface pro, as they seem reasonable in price. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
07-14-2020, 01:42 PM
We bought ds1 an HP laptop that was in our budget. It seems that the parents on the parent facebook page for his college discuss mac vs pc a lot and it varies by what program they are in. We happen to also have a spare mac on hand so we will send him off with the one that is the best fit for his specific program. In that way, it's hard to recommend one to buy since you don't know the school or program. But, until I saw those discussions I figured his laptop would work regardless. I still think it will but it could be that a mac would be better. Another consideration is size. His is heavy and bulky. It might have been better to factor that in since they do carry them around.
Don't get something pared down like a Chromebook. That will be way too limited.

Percycat
07-14-2020, 02:09 PM
Do you have a Microcenter store in your area? We got good recommendations there when shopping for my son. My son, husband, and mother all bought compters from Microcenter. My daughter and I both got our computers from Costco --- and we have taken advantage of the Costco warranties on our computers.

essnce629
07-14-2020, 02:34 PM
My son is a rising senior and chose the Samsung Notebook Spin with touchscreen when we bought his computer for school. This is the newest 2020 model:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung_Notebook-Touchscreen-i5-8250U-Backlit-Wireless/dp/B0871CSH5H/

gymnbomb
07-14-2020, 03:42 PM
Most of my students use smaller laptops -- probably in the 11-13 or 14 inch range -- because they are much lighter and easier to carry around, and also fit better on the tiny "desks" they have in many lecture halls. I would look for something with good battery life since it can be hard to find outlets in classrooms or common areas on campus, and an actual laptop vs. a chromebook. Built in camera, microphone, and speakers (I think this is fairly standard?). If she is going into a program that requires a lot of specialized software that would definitely be a consideration.

NCGrandma
07-14-2020, 04:47 PM
Does she have any ideas about where she wants to apply to college? What field(s)? Some universities offer special computer purchase plans for students —even if you can’t yet take advantage of those, you can see what they consider an appropriate computer.

Wherever you buy, be sure to look at available warranties, repair service etc.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Jeanne
07-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Somewhat depends on the major. We are waiting for her new HP to show up. Both she and I are not Mac fans. She wanted a laptop tablet convertible with touchscreen, full keyboard, long battery life and stylus. We went with the Pavilion 14 t with backlit keyboard and i5 processor. She doesn't need i7 computing power. Did upgrade the GB to speed it up. The build doesn't resemble the starting price. Microsoft Office is free thru her Uni so didn't have to pay for that. Check the college websites she's interested in to see what support they offer as well.

pinkmomagain
07-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Macs for sure around here. They've worked out well for my two who have graduated or almost graduated from college. My oldest is still using hers (about 7 years) and my middle definitely needed a Mac being an art student. She's heading into her Sr year of college.

JustMe
07-15-2020, 10:46 AM
Thanks, everyone!

trales
07-15-2020, 12:42 PM
Unless she is going into a highly specific and technical program, like graphic arts or IT, or programming, brand does not matter. All of the Learning Managements systems are compatible with both Mac and PC. I am a total mac lover (my home computer is a mac), but they are a pain in the ass for higher ed. The plagiarism software does not do pages, it only does .docx or .pdf. So if you get a mac, you have to get office installed, though office 365 comes with most college email addresses. But in order to upload to the digital platform we use, they have to download it first, they can't go cloud to cloud. It is so frustrating for everyone! In my experience in our large college system here, it is windows and office based- both the university and community college system. Macs are used for only a few programs.

Macs are favored by the affluent students for sure. You see those on the kids from wealthier areas, I can imagine this board is a mac heavy crowd. Most students I see have the surface pro or something similar.

Don't get a chromebook, since you cannot download programs onto it, many of the higher software companies are still working on the apps to make their programs work and it is clunky and does not always upload to Canvas (our learning management system).

Most kids are used to google classroom and google docs, and those just are not used in higher ed. Word, powerpoint and excel are standard. Any camera and microphone that comes on a new laptop will be good enough. You can spend hours stressing over this, but just get her a good, mid range, lap top and be done with it. Something she does not mind carrying around and a protection plan for when she drops it.

You would be surprised how many kids try to do college on their phone or a small tablet. It sucks. Many kids still use our computer lab b/c they don't have their own computer or they need to use specialized software that is loaded on the school computers b/c of cost and licensing issues. Even our gaming students spend most of their time in our gaming computer lab working on our computers with the 60 inch screens. I know this b/c they are next door to my lab, and after a weekend project period, the small wafts in and I have to instruct them to go home and shower, or use the ones in the gym.

The deals in college bookstores are really no better than deals you can find online. At least in our system.

JustMe
07-15-2020, 07:12 PM
Thanks so much; all very helpful. For anyone wondering why I am wanting to buy now instead of waiting another year, we are eligible for a small amount of grant money that we need to use in the next or month or so to go toward a purchase that would be helpful to my daughter; we dont get the money directly and need to use it soon.

zukeypur
07-16-2020, 02:45 PM
I recently got this to replace my acer (constant problems) for work, and it’s fantastic. I use it as my regular laptop now teaching from home, and I love to use it in tablet mode with my pen for conferences and taking notes. I rarely use actual paper anymore.

zukeypur
07-16-2020, 02:45 PM
I recently got this to replace my acer (constant problems) for work, and it’s fantastic. I use it as my regular laptop now teaching from home, and I love to use it in tablet mode with my pen for conferences and taking notes. I rarely use actual paper anymore.
https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-14-5000-series-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-1065g7---1080p.product.100572080.html

JustMe
07-16-2020, 05:22 PM
https://www.costco.com/dell-inspiron-14-5000-series-2-in-1-touchscreen-laptop---10th-gen-intel-core-i7-1065g7---1080p.product.100572080.html

Ooh, I like the idea of Costco for its return policy..although I guess that would be 90 days with electronics. Still good, though.

Although I know no one here is an expert, what do you think of this reasonable priced model. Dd found it, but now I am seeing the dimensions and it is probably too small...but something similar that is bigger?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-go-2-10-5-touch-screen-intel-pentium-gold-4gb-64gb-storage-platinum/6408476.p?skuId=6408476

DualvansMommy
07-16-2020, 05:37 PM
Ooh, I like the idea of Costco for its return policy..although I guess that would be 90 days with electronics. Still good, though.

Although I know no one here is an expert, what do you think of this reasonable priced model. Dd found it, but now I am seeing the dimensions and it is probably too small...but something similar that is bigger?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-surface-go-2-10-5-touch-screen-intel-pentium-gold-4gb-64gb-storage-platinum/6408476.p?skuId=6408476

That is the size of my iPad Pro 10.5 and if I needed to use it for school or heavy work, it’s too small for me. But then I’m the one who wear glasses though!

I would compare it against bigger laptop/touch pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jeanne
07-16-2020, 10:05 PM
A full size keyboard is a must for long term use. That looks to be too small for comfort.

JustMe
07-16-2020, 10:17 PM
A full size keyboard is a must for long term use. That looks to be too small for comfort.

Oh, yes, the keyboard..but I guess I could get a wireless keyboard if the wanted something small for class (but not as small as the one I posted), correct? I have been trying to keep too many details out but she may have accommodations that allow her to have a laptop in class.

94bruin
07-17-2020, 10:57 AM

We bought a laptop thru Costco. It think Costco alone doubles the warranty period. If you use their Citibank Costco visa, then I think the warranty doubles that to 4 years. There may be other perks, but that was one of the main reasons we purchased thru Costco.

sf333
07-17-2020, 11:00 AM
We bought a laptop thru Costco. It think Costco alone doubles the warranty period. If you use their Citibank Costco visa, then I think the warranty doubles that to 4 years. There may be other perks, but that was one of the main reasons we purchased thru Costco.

Wow! Thanks for posting this. I’m in the market for a laptop and now I know where I’ll be getting one!

JustMe
07-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Anyone know what is the smallest sized laptop that would have a full-sized keyboard or to put it another way, what size would be ideal for toting around to classes, but big enough to type comfortably?

94bruin
07-17-2020, 12:20 PM
Wow! Thanks for posting this. I’m in the market for a laptop and now I know where I’ll be getting one!

My memory could be off so please double check this info before you buy!!

zukeypur
07-17-2020, 05:55 PM

My acer started really acting up right before the shutdown, and I threw a fit with Costco’s concierge. It had been acting up since I got it, but they never told me that I had to send it in for warranty replacement and that I would be without a computer for 2-3 weeks. Not good when you’re about to be forced to start teaching from home! I was able to get a refund from the Costco I bought it at and get the replacement 1.5 years after I bought it. YMMV, obviously, but I will never buy another computer anywhere else.

zukeypur
07-17-2020, 05:55 PM

My acer started really acting up right before the shutdown, and I threw a fit with Costco’s concierge. It had been acting up since I got it, but they never told me that I had to send it in for warranty replacement and that I would be without a computer for 2-3 weeks. Not good when you’re about to be forced to start teaching from home! I was able to get a refund from the Costco I bought it at and get the replacement 1.5 years after I bought it. YMMV, obviously, but I will never buy another computer anywhere else.

essnce629
07-18-2020, 03:56 AM
Anyone know what is the smallest sized laptop that would have a full-sized keyboard or to put it another way, what size would be ideal for toting around to classes, but big enough to type comfortably?

My chromebook is 11.6" and it's been perfect for me and I have no issues typing on it. I like it's smaller size for traveling. I wouldn't want to go any smaller though. My rising senior's school laptop is 13.3"

essnce629
07-18-2020, 03:57 AM
Double post

hellokitty
07-18-2020, 03:11 PM
Don't cheap out. I started grad school last year, and my husband had gotten me a new laptop on the lower end (less than $300), it was a Lenovo, so a "good" brand. Well, that thing was clunky and had all sorts of nagging issues. My husband is very good with computers and after having messed with it for a year and with me getting regularly frustrated with the computer and of course this issues became even worse after covid hit and I was already stressed out with work (it would randomly shut down, lose my work, etc.) he told me he was just going to get me a new laptop. I had an asus before and told him I liked it wanted an asus again, I think this one was in the $600-$800 range, much faster, no weird glitches, much quieter too. I really like having a number pad, so IDK if that is a feature that would be useful or not, but something to think about. I do not like touch screens, some people do, a lot of it is personal preference from person to person. I used to like smaller laptops, but my eyes are getting worse so I prefer a larger one now... when they are young they don't care, however is she planning on getting a large monitor for a dual screen? I LOVE my dual screen and don't know how I lived without one. For grad school it has been life changing.