PDA

View Full Version : ISO recommendations for tub and tile cleaner

JustMe
07-15-2020, 12:52 PM
My tub and shower tiles get so dirty so quickly; they are also quick to get mold or mildew (not even sure which). I do have a good ceiling fan in there, but no windows. In any case, I am looking for recommendations on what to use to effectively clean both the tub and the space in between the tiles. I prefer non-bleach (makes dd and I sick) and non-harsh chemical, but I do need something effective so may have to be open to using something like that at least some of the time. Thanks!

carolinamama
07-15-2020, 01:01 PM
Not a product per se (I use Method AntiBac and a scrub brush) but do you have a squeegee? We aren't always the best at sqeegeeing out the shower and I can tell a big difference when we let it slide. You can follow up with a towel to wipe out the rest of the moisture but that's my mom's move, I'm not as particular. Leaving the door or curtain open after a shower with the fan running will also help.

twowhat?
07-15-2020, 01:28 PM
Not a product per se (I use Method AntiBac and a scrub brush) but do you have a squeegee? We aren't always the best at sqeegeeing out the shower and I can tell a big difference when we let it slide. You can follow up with a towel to wipe out the rest of the moisture but that's my mom's move, I'm not as particular. Leaving the door or curtain open after a shower with the fan running will also help.

Agree with this - squeegee all water off shower walls and it's even better if you wipe it down with a towel too! Our bathroom has windows that we rarely open (too hot) but we have a ceiling fan in there and leave the ceiling fan running 24/7 (we do turn it off when we are showering, otherwise brrr!) - makes a big difference. Our shower doesn't grow noticeable mold for several weeks and then at that point I will use the dreaded Tilex. I turn off the ceiling fan, put on a cloth mask (haha), spray the Tilex, turn on the exhaust fan, and then shut the door to the bathroom for a couple of hours when no one will be using it. By then the bleach smell is gone and it smells fresh and clean. The next person to shower then rinses off the shower walls with clean water. I have asthma and the bleach in Tilex always made me wheeze until I thought to put on a cloth mask. Works! Keeps me from inhaling enough of the vapors to not wheeze!!

georgiegirl
07-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Agree with this - squeegee all water off shower walls and it's even better if you wipe it down with a towel too! Our bathroom has windows that we rarely open (too hot) but we have a ceiling fan in there and leave the ceiling fan running 24/7 (we do turn it off when we are showering, otherwise brrr!) - makes a big difference. Our shower doesn't grow noticeable mold for several weeks and then at that point I will use the dreaded Tilex. I turn off the ceiling fan, put on a cloth mask (haha), spray the Tilex, turn on the exhaust fan, and then shut the door to the bathroom for a couple of hours when no one will be using it. By then the bleach smell is gone and it smells fresh and clean. The next person to shower then rinses off the shower walls with clean water. I have asthma and the bleach in Tilex always made me wheeze until I thought to put on a cloth mask. Works! Keeps me from inhaling enough of the vapors to not wheeze!!

This is what I do too. Spray down with bleach cleaner, turn on fan, shut the door, and leave ASAP

JustMe
07-15-2020, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the replies! Keep them coming! Ds and dd take frequent showers and there is no way they are going to be wiping things down, etc (I do, but it does not make up for the times they dont). We do always use the fan, leave the curtain open, etc, but we still need some heavy duty cleaner, unforuntately!

Smillow
07-16-2020, 02:10 AM
https://fabulesslyfrugal.com/diy/the-best-soap-scum-remover-diy-picture-tutorial/

i started making this to clean my bathroom - best cleaner ever - just spray and rinse. We don't have a mold/mildew problem though.