PDA

View Full Version : ISO: laptop computer backpack

Kestrel
07-15-2020, 02:25 PM
Looking for a truly tough backpack with a separate section for a laptop. DS is so hard on things! Any hints on where to start looking? We can't afford to spend a ton, but I would rather stretch than replace later.
(Small laptop, school is supposed to provide a chromebook that will have to be carried back and forth to school each day for the next several years. We'll see if that happens!)

hillview
07-15-2020, 02:42 PM
LL bean bags LAST

bisous
07-15-2020, 02:45 PM
I saw LL Bean backpacks on sale at Staples last time I was there picking up supplies for my office. I also saw laptop bags from High Sierra from Costco. The advantage there is that Costco has a great return policy. Are you ok with just a "sleeve" for a laptop? Or do you want more of a dedicated computer type bag?

I will say that based on a recommendation here I bought my two oldest Adidas Prime backpacks and I LOVE them. They are huge and they do have a computer flap. They'd be major overkill if you must also carry books but since my kids schools still use books (maybe not in the Fall?) then it is a major win for us.

doberbrat
07-15-2020, 02:59 PM
DD1 got a samsonite last year. The thing still looks BRAND new. Even the water bottle pocket. She stuffs the thing and her backpacks really get beaten up. Got if at Marshalls or TJx I forget - it was $60 so not cheap but it will last at least another year if not more.

zukeypur
07-15-2020, 04:45 PM
Not lands end. We have had two with bad zippers, and they’re replacement warranty is subject to what they have in stock at the time, which is not much if your backpack happens to break mid-year.

newnana
07-15-2020, 06:00 PM
DD1 got a samsonite last year. The thing still looks BRAND new. Even the water bottle pocket. She stuffs the thing and her backpacks really get beaten up. Got if at Marshalls or TJx I forget - it was $60 so not cheap but it will last at least another year if not more.

LOVE Samsonite laptop backpacks. I used to travel worldwide for work and my laptop was my office used daily, hard. Through airport security (not gentle) multiple times a week. I used the same one for well over 8 years with no issues until I got a much bigger laptop that didn't fit, so definitely check sleeve dimensions. If you go to the Samsonite website, they currently have an up to 50% coupon code. This one is $54.99 without coupons:
https://shop.samsonite.com/backpacks-bags/laptop-backpacks/carrier-gsd-backpack/129451XXXX.html?dwvar_129451XXXX_color=1294511041&cgidmaster=laptop-backpacks

HTH!

KpbS
07-15-2020, 08:53 PM
LL bean bags LAST

:yeahthat:

smilequeen
07-15-2020, 09:17 PM
If she is really hard on things I would consider a separate laptop bag. While the backpacks would protect the laptop, if she has a lot of heavy books in the backpack and she drops it...it might not be protective enough. At least that’s what the computer guys at our school recommended. We bought a Thule laptop bag and an Under Armour backpack.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/luggage/thule-subterra-collection/thule-subterra-laptop-bag-156-_-3204086

ang79
07-16-2020, 11:03 AM
Our school sends chromebooks home with kids starting in 6th grade (although this year all students are supposed to have devices in case of another shut down). They give the kids cases for the chromebooks and tell them to never take the chromebooks out of the case. The brand on her case is Bump Armor. The kids carry their chromebooks in the cases to all of their classes and home each night. DD1 had a Jansport Trans backpack last year. If she didn't have a lot in her backpack she would put the chromebook case in her backpack. But usually it was pretty full with lunch box, homework binder, gym uniform, sneakers for running practice, etc., so she would just carry the strap over her shoulder or cross body.

Kestrel
07-16-2020, 06:57 PM
Yeah - the school is giving out chromebooks loose in a ziplock-type bag. Not exactly protective!

doberbrat
07-16-2020, 07:14 PM
the 'emergency' chromebook distribution was done in a trash bag ;) Normally kids get neoprene cases with their chromebook in MS.

jgenie
07-16-2020, 09:22 PM
Our school sends chromebooks home with kids starting in 6th grade (although this year all students are supposed to have devices in case of another shut down). They give the kids cases for the chromebooks and tell them to never take the chromebooks out of the case. The brand on her case is Bump Armor. The kids carry their chromebooks in the cases to all of their classes and home each night. DD1 had a Jansport Trans backpack last year. If she didn't have a lot in her backpack she would put the chromebook case in her backpack. But usually it was pretty full with lunch box, homework binder, gym uniform, sneakers for running practice, etc., so she would just carry the strap over her shoulder or cross body.

Would you mind linking to the case she has.

ang79
07-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Would you mind linking to the case she has.

I think it is this Stay In case based on the interior straps. The exterior pockets are big enough to hold pens, lunch money, snack bag, phone, etc.
https://www.bumparmor.com/product/stay-in-case-cl-100/