PDA

View Full Version : Hand Sanitizer Recall- sold at BJ's

liz
07-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Forgive me if this is already posted, but DH pointed out that the hand sanitizer we bought from BJ's is part of the FDA recall. I remember reading about the recall weeks ago, so I grabbed our bottles to look at the ingredients. No methanol listed, so I though it was safe. Turns out the FDA found methanol in it as an unlisted ingredient. It is the Blumen brand, made in Mexico. Not all lot numbers are listed, but I'm totally freaked out about this. Apparently the methanol can stay in your system for a long time. So not only do I not have disinfecting wipes, disinfectant spray, or liquid antibacterial soap, now I'm out of hand sanitizer :thumbsdown:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/4e-brands-north-america-issues-nationwide-voluntary-recall-hand-sanitizer-due-potential-presence

eta, was looking into making my own hand sanitizer, but apparently you need at least 90% isopropyl alcohol? Can't find that anywhere either...

Melaine
07-15-2020, 06:47 PM
Forgive me if this is already posted, but DH pointed out that the hand sanitizer we bought from BJ's is part of the FDA recall. I remember reading about the recall weeks ago, so I grabbed our bottles to look at the ingredients. No methanol listed, so I though it was safe. Turns out the FDA found methanol in it as an unlisted ingredient. It is the Blumen brand, made in Mexico. Not all lot numbers are listed, but I'm totally freaked out about this. Apparently the methanol can stay in your system for a long time. So not only do I not have disinfecting wipes, disinfectant spray, or liquid antibacterial soap, now I'm out of hand sanitizer :thumbsdown:

https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-market-withdrawals-safety-alerts/4e-brands-north-america-issues-nationwide-voluntary-recall-hand-sanitizer-due-potential-presence

eta, was looking into making my own hand sanitizer, but apparently you need at least 90% isopropyl alcohol? Can't find that anywhere either...

Yes it was sold at Costco too! We returned ours.