PDA

View Full Version : Earring piercing...cartilage?

wendibird22
07-15-2020, 06:51 PM
Talk to me about getting ear cartilage pierced...like helix piercing. Did you have that done? At what age? Do you still like it?

I'm likely taking my turning 13yr old to get her 2nd holes done for her birthday. I'll have it done at a piercing/body mod shoppe...same place I had hers and her sister's first holes done. And believe it or not, I'm considering getting a helix piercing on one of my ears. Is 45 too old to do something like that? I have short hair (currently a short inverted bob). I mostly wear my hair tucked behind the ear on one side so that would be the side I'd pierce. Is this a totally stupid idea? My feelings won't be hurt if you say so.

jgenie
07-15-2020, 09:36 PM
I have a friend that has recently gotten several small tattoos. She said she had wanted them for a long time but kept putting it off as something she didn’t need. She finally bit the bullet and got them. She says they make her smile every time she sees them. You’re never too old - get it if you want it!!

ArizonaGirl
07-15-2020, 11:05 PM
I have a friend that has recently gotten several small tattoos. She said she had wanted them for a long time but kept putting it off as something she didn’t need. She finally bit the bullet and got them. She says they make her smile every time she sees them. You’re never too old - get it if you want it!!

I got 2 of my 3 tats in my early 30s and I love them!

I say go for it!

ellies mom
07-15-2020, 11:32 PM
I got my first tattoo at 50. Go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KpbS
07-16-2020, 12:14 AM
It’s NMS so I wouldn’t do it. I think it could be potentially really uncomfortable to sleep on such a piercing.

Tenasparkl
07-16-2020, 02:05 AM
Talk to me about getting ear cartilage pierced...like helix piercing. Did you have that done? At what age? Do you still like it?

I'm likely taking my turning 13yr old to get her 2nd holes done for her birthday. I'll have it done at a piercing/body mod shoppe...same place I had hers and her sister's first holes done. And believe it or not, I'm considering getting a helix piercing on one of my ears. Is 45 too old to do something like that? I have short hair (currently a short inverted bob). I mostly wear my hair tucked behind the ear on one side so that would be the side I'd pierce. Is this a totally stupid idea? My feelings won't be hurt if you say so.

Not too old! I’m also 45 and when I took my daughter to get her ears pierced I got a second hole in one ear and a third (in cartilage) in the other. I love them! They took a bit longer to heal but are good now six months later.

Green_Tea
07-16-2020, 08:42 AM
I have my cartilage pierced! It takes a little while to heal and they recommend doing it in the side you don’t sleep on - I love it!! Go for it!

lizzywednesday
07-16-2020, 08:49 AM
Just because I wouldn't do it (I'm too prone to infected piercings) doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Go for it!

wendibird22
07-16-2020, 08:59 AM
Not too old! I’m also 45 and when I took my daughter to get her ears pierced I got a second hole in one ear and a third (in cartilage) in the other. I love them! They took a bit longer to heal but are good now six months later.

Is your third hole in line with the other two or a different location?

wendibird22
07-16-2020, 09:00 AM
I have my cartilage pierced! It takes a little while to heal and they recommend doing it in the side you don’t sleep on - I love it!! Go for it!

What part of your cartilage is pierced?

Tenasparkl
07-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Is your third hole in line with the other two or a different location?

In line with the other two, but I’d consider one in a different spot. We got them done at a tattoo shop and the piercer was great about helping us decide exactly which spots to choose and explaining everything.

ang79
07-16-2020, 10:56 AM

I got second holes and then a cartilage piercing in my right ear when I was in college. I keep a tiny silver hoop in it all the time (was told when it was pierced that it can close up quickly if I don't keep an ear ring in it). It was sore and took longer to heal than my regular ear piercings and even now (almost 20 years later!), it is still sometimes uncomfortable to lay too long on that side or hold a phone next to it if it presses on it. And I always take it out when I get my hair cut because a few times the stylist caught it be accident and pulled it out. I often wear my long hair pulled back though, especially in the summer, and I like how it looks. Hopefully it doesn't make me look like I am trying too hard to still be young!

carolinacool
07-16-2020, 12:18 PM
Do it!

I'm 45 and got my cartilage pierced my senior year of college. It definitely took longer to heal. In my case, I went to Claire's and got it pierced with a stud earring. So hair kept getting wrapped around the stud. Like Ang79, it will flare up every now and then and I'll remove the stud for a day or two. I never switched to a hoop because I had fears of something pulling on the hoop and ripping my ear. It's also trippy to think I've had the same earring for 24 years now. lol

But I still really like it and I show it all the time, job interviews, whatever. The only times I take it out are to clean it and when it hurts.