PDA

View Full Version : yet another school spinoff - resources for kids with ADHD?

echoesofspring
07-17-2020, 11:45 AM
DL was hard across the board, but it was particularly challenging with DS (heading into 4th), who really got distracted on the computer and needed adult supervision the whole time. Which then affected DD, she's very self motivated, but was sad not being in school and has that younger sibling super power of constantly measuring how much attention the adults give any one child. I'm trying to research possible options for him, maybe hiring a tutor, maybe some other alternative to our district's DL, I don't know why a virtual school would work better but maybe it would. If you have suggestions, I'd love to hear them!

AnnieW625
07-17-2020, 11:58 AM
Add me to that list as well. Dd2 is going into the 5th grade. Dd2 needed a lot of help staying focused last spring even when she was on her medication. She just didn’t initially get that while she was on her zoom meetings that she was actually supposed to do work.

A friend of mine recommended a local tutoring company in my new area so I will research that once we are out there.

We just enrolled Dd2 in Catholic school for the next school year so it will be interesting to see how this whole thing works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
07-17-2020, 12:15 PM
I'm subscribing as well. DS2 is going into 6th. The spring was a disaster. I HAVE to work full time at home. His teacher in the spring kept saying the students should do all of these assignments independently." Yeah right, I can't put this child in front of a screen and count on him to do anything independently. We have a good relationship with both the principal and the school psychologist, due to DS2 having a 504 plan, so if they still expect "independent" learning, I will be calling the school right away. They start August 12, and we still haven't heard what "the plan" is.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
07-17-2020, 12:24 PM
DD is going into 5th grade. We got through remote learning, but we struggled with focus and when it was OK to take breaks (she played a lot of Run 3 and Prodigy, or worked on Art projects when she was supposed to be working on her ThinkCentral math or ELA assignments) among other things.

I'm going to reach out to the place that did DD's ADHD testing/diagnosis to see if there's anything they suggest.

This is in addition to writing a LONG letter to the office of student services in our school district to request support and training, plus modifications to her 504 Plan.

Per their reopening plan, they are exploring parent-training for kids who need extra supports.

KpbS
07-17-2020, 01:16 PM
Do the hardest work in the morning--esp if your DC takes medicine to focus.

Everyday with your child make a to-do list for him/her. Be sure to include other house jobs like feed the cat, take the trash outside. Make your bed.

Take brain breaks and stretch, jog in place for 1-2 min., go ahead and take that trash out.

Reward focus and completion of work with positive feedback; DC can strike the items off the list, crumple it up at the end of the day, etc. Praise for effort.

Some things kinetic learners can master way easier when moving, like spelling words, times tables, etc. Let them say the answers out loud to you instead of having to write it all down.

Make sure they clean up their area each day, putting the pencils into the pencil box, sorting the papers into folders, etc. Teach them how to keep their workspaces clean and organized to prevent distractions and encourage focus. Some you will need to hand hold in the beginning, others may need prompting/help each day.

Minimize distractions during work time. No phones, limit ipads/tech if have books/worksheets, put toys away. Headphones may help for focus and cancel other noises.

KpbS
07-17-2020, 01:21 PM
It is often easier to homeschool on your own time frame with your choosen materials, rather than following the curriculum and deadlines of other schools/entities.

AnnieW625
07-17-2020, 02:36 PM
It is often easier to homeschool on your own time frame with your choosen materials, rather than following the curriculum and deadlines of other schools/entities.

Yes but for 90% of working parents that might not work unless they have an extremely flexible job, but for those of those of who have responded to this post so far I don’t think that is a reality. In an ideal world for me it work the way you described it.

KpbS
07-17-2020, 02:55 PM
Yes but for 90% of working parents that might not work unless they have an extremely flexible job, but for those of those of who have responded to this post so far I don’t think that is a reality. In an ideal world for me it work the way you described it.

None of this is ideal. I was offering helpful tips in the post above the one you quoted. It’s all challenging for parents. I was just pointing out that it can be really freeing to choose the materials and the time frame/deadlines, esp with kids with learning challenges. You may all end up less stressed.

petesgirl
07-17-2020, 03:24 PM
None of this is ideal. I was offering helpful tips in the post above the one you quoted. It’s all challenging for parents. I was just pointing out that it can be really freeing to choose the materials and the time frame/deadlines, esp with kids with learning challenges. You may all end up less stressed.

Thanks for the tips! We also struggled with ADHD and DL, I had to hand hold everyday through most of the day. The biggest challenge for me was creating a distraction free zone because I have a toddler also who wants/needs a lot of attention. I'm nervous about this coming year. I know everyone is.

AnnieW625
07-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Oh I totally get that, but if you are in a virtual learning program that is done through your public school or private school you aren’t going to have much flexibility in terms of what is taught first, what curriculum is taught, and what materials are to be used. Many of us who will most likely be doing distance learning aren’t traditional homeschool families.

echoesofspring
07-17-2020, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the tips KpbS. I tried to implement a structured environment last spring, similar to what you described and go so much push back from DH. Everytime I talk to an expert (my therapist, educators, my son's OT) about this they say 'structure structure structure', and hopefully DH'll come around this time around, but mostly I think I'll just have to take a much more lead role (he was doing most of it in the spring b/c I was working and his business was mostly closed)

The homeschool idea is intriguing. I'll confess my initial response to it is that it seems like much more work (looking at our districts plan you're basically given what the teachers have and away you go), that seems like it would be just doubly hard than the distance learning. But maybe homeschooling lets us tap more into DS's natural inclinations, for example he's been listening to all of these audio books on various 20th century wars (not my choice). DH commented he's probably learned more in the last 2 weeks than he did all of April. If we could figure out a way to harness that interest, etc. and not in a corny way that he resists that would at least make it less of a struggle, feel like were actually progressing.

bisous
07-17-2020, 08:21 PM

I actually REALLY believe this. But let me qualify it. It will still take hours a day to create a plan and follow through with it with your child. BUT in my case, with my upcoming 3rd grader I will most likely spend MORE time than that trying to force him on a program that doesn't fit and it will be much less effective. Also, I can work whenever but if I had to work regular office hours, it would be easier for me to do that before work, after work, and on weekends than to try to make synchronous learning work.

By contrast, my "easy" kids remote learning will probably be easier. If they do their work independently then that is great. I'm talking about those kids who need to be babysat in front of a screen and who are miserable and engaging in work that they hate and isn't helping them.

I haven't seen our program yet. I'm worried. I don't think watching a screen for hours a day will work for DS3. That's just it. The hard kids are harder in every scenario. The easy ones will do fine no matter what. I think I can teach DS3 myself and he'll be happier but because he is SO difficult I really wish I could use the expertise of a really excellent teacher.