PDA

View Full Version : Favorite snacks & drinks for elementary & middle school kids?

ourbabygirl
07-17-2020, 08:42 PM
Just wondering what your biggest hits are for your own kids and any visiting friends of theirs?

We've done pretzels, microwave or bagged (salted or cheesy) popcorn, Chex mix, tortilla chips and salsa, and Izzy's, Capri Sun, and lemonade for drinks. Also, fruit like cut up apples and watermelon.

What sort of snacks are the biggest hit in your house?

Thanks!

carolinamama
07-17-2020, 09:00 PM
Gatorades
Popsicles
Watermelon slices
Goldfish - it always amazes me how many Goldfish teen boys eat
Doritos
Cookies - oreos or whatever we have

I asked DS1(14) and he said Poptarts. I don't buy poptarts so I'm chuckling at his quick response and I hope he isn't eating an entire box of them at someone else's house.

jgenie
07-17-2020, 10:27 PM
Surprisingly little cucumbers and hummus and kettle corn (purple bag at Costco) go pretty quickly here. I usually make charcuterie boards with a mix of cheeses, olives, fruit, crackers and veggies. They mow through it all. A friend says all the frozen Costco snacks (pizza rolls, mozzarella sticks, chicken nuggets) are huge hits at her house. I don’t generally have those around.

mom2binsd
07-17-2020, 11:52 PM
I buy cheap stuff, they go through so much! They love popcorn, gold fish, cheezits, frozen pizza, chicken fritter (these from meijer are amazing). They make it themselves, at 14 and 17 they make their own snacks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Myira
07-17-2020, 11:55 PM
Trader Joe’s banana chips, Abe’s muffins from Whole Foods, pita chips with hummus, crispy chickpeas(don’t remember brand name), quadratini crackers are all a hit with my kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

wendibird22
07-18-2020, 11:32 AM
Giant tub of cheese balls (Utz)
Pretzel rods (esp with nutella)
Granola bars
Pirate booty
Popcorners
Cheese sticks
Yogurt
Cottage cheese
Meet sticks (we get them from a local meet processor..so so tasty)
Mini bagels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
07-18-2020, 12:06 PM
Oh and those darn fruit snacks, they love those! My kids eat pretty healthy main meals so I've never stressed about their snacks not being very healthy, they are so active. I do limit soda and drinks like lemonade/gatorade and push water. DD is 17 and uses her own money from her job to buy all her favorite Starbucks drinks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ang79
07-18-2020, 12:16 PM
My kids have a dedicated "Food Time" at 4pm each day (so named by DD2). Here are some of their favs:

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip granola bars, Target brand (these are the only ones DD1 will eat)
pretzels
cheeze-its - they especially love the white cheddar ones from Aldi
cheese or caramel small rice cakes from Aldi
Smart Pop white cheddar popcorn
kettle corn (the large red bag at Sam's Club)
Pop Corners, Kettle Corn flavor (DD2 loves these)
dry roasted peanuts
tiny ritz cracker sandwiches with cheese in the middle
crackers (wheat thins, triscuts, etc.)
Pirate Booty
Chex Mix
trail mix (like the Monster Mix at Target with M&Ms)
fresh fruit
frozen berries
popsicles (in the summer)

smiles33
07-18-2020, 11:57 PM
My DDs are 11 and 14 and their friends prefer healthy snacks. For visiting friends (pre-COVID), I liked to put out fruit and cheese with crackers. It's always a hit and easy to prep.

We had an outdoor play date where the kids stayed 6' apart recently and I bought individually bagged Cheez-its, individually packed mini-cakes, and gave each girl a paper cup to serve themselves "spa water" (water with orange slices). I just didn't think we could do our normal "common platter" given risks of being too close.