PDA

View Full Version : Online glasses for kids

Snow mom
07-19-2020, 04:51 PM
DS (age 7) has been wearing glasses full time for two years. He just had his yearly checkup and got a new prescription and cleared to only wear glasses while “working”. He’s actually pretty responsible with his glasses for a rough little thing and has been wearing the same pair from Walmart for the last two years. I do think there is a greater chance of the glasses getting lost or broken if he’s taking them on and off outside the house (if we ever leave the house...) The vision center at Walmart is currently closed except for “emergencies” and so I’ve been looking around at ordering glasses online. Wondering if you’ve ordered kids glasses from one of the online sites for kids and what add ons are worth it or not. The frames and basic lenses start really inexpensive but then there are a million add on options. Not sure if I’d be happier buying a really cheap option for now or investing more and hoping they last the year. Any experience/opinion on online glasses welcome!

MSWR0319
07-19-2020, 06:31 PM
Do you have VSP insurance by any chance? We just ordered glasses from Eyeconic.com and they even took care of insurance benefits, as I believe they are owned by VSP. They are en route to us, so I can’t speak of quality yet, but will post back when I get them. I liked that I could take them to my eye dr for a free adjustment if needed and free returns.

doberbrat
07-19-2020, 06:57 PM
If you can get the PD from the dr, you should be able to order online fairly easily. I seriously love my $20 from Zenni. I've had them for 2 or 3yrs. It is time for a new pair the frames are a little bent but I need a new eye exam first.

Snow mom
07-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Do you have VSP insurance by any chance? We just ordered glasses from Eyeconic.com and they even took care of insurance benefits, as I believe they are owned by VSP. They are en route to us, so I can’t speak of quality yet, but will post back when I get them. I liked that I could take them to my eye dr for a free adjustment if needed and free returns.
No, we don’t have eye insurance. We can be reimbursed if purchased through a licensed Optician (which Walmart counts) but ordering online I’m fairly certain it would be completely OOP.

KpbS
07-19-2020, 10:19 PM
Any word when the Walmart would reopen? That would probably be my bet since you would want to try on new frames to see if they fit his face. I was really surprised at how many did not fit DS the last time we went.

Or maybe a Costco or Sam’s nearby would be open?

Kindra178
07-19-2020, 10:42 PM
Target optical?

My concern with online is who checks the script and will a kid be able to tell you something is off?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

amyx4
07-20-2020, 09:04 AM
The Walmart near me said the tentative reopen date for optical was August. My state said they could be open now but for some reason they're not open yet.