PDA

View Full Version : Another ear piercing question

wendibird22
07-22-2020, 08:51 AM
So I asked you all about thoughts on me getting a cartilage piercing. Thanks to those who told me about theirs!

My next question is...would you go to a body mod/piercer, during the pandemic, to get a piercing done? DD1 turns 13 next Tuesday and wants 2nd holes. When I take her for that is when I would get my cartilage pierced.

I'm comfortable with it for the following reasons:
1. I'm in "upstate" NY (really WNY) and our incidence rate of COVID is very low. The place I would go is a tattoo/body mod shop. These places opened in Phase 3 here in NY (along with hair salons). They are by appointment only and only allow one person in the shop at a time (though I'd be allowed in with DD since she's a minor). Masks must be worn (though I imagine that's a bit tricky with ear piercing and ear loops).
2. I've been to this place before and it's clean/sterile
3. Ear piercing is a relatively quick process...on their site they say 15mins...and so close contact with the piercer is for a short time.
4. I've been on their social media and their posts lead me to believe they are closely following the state regulations. Plus, the 2 employees, based on the shop's social media posts, are pro BLM, pro social justice, etc and so I make the assumption they are pro science and therefore pro conforming to guidance about mitigating risk, not just in their shop, but personally. For example, a post said they supported protesting but could not participate themselves as they had covid risk factors in their family and needed to chose to not be in such crowds.

DH is not comfortable with us doing piercing during the pandemic. He thinks it's not urgent and we should wait until next year. He also hasn't gotten his hair cut since March lol. My only reason for now, and not waiting, is that DD asked for this for her birthday and turning 13 during a pandemic sucks and so I'm trying to make it as special as possible.

So would you do it now or wait?

carolinamama
07-22-2020, 10:00 AM
It's like everything else during this cruddy pandemic - there is no right or wrong answer here. If you are comfortable and follow guidelines, it's probably fine. But if you, or your DH, feel it's too big of a risk, it's also ok. How's that for a non-answer?! :)

Being in NY with your numbers, I would feel much better about going. If you decide to make an appointment, call the shop ahead and ask about their safety practices - masking, sanitizing and number of people in the shop at a time. Make sure their answers match your requirements. I completely understand wanting to do something fun for your DD since a fun party isn't possible.

lizzywednesday
07-22-2020, 10:02 AM
So I asked you all about thoughts on me getting a cartilage piercing. Thanks to those who told me about theirs!

My next question is...would you go to a body mod/piercer, during the pandemic, to get a piercing done? ...

DH is not comfortable with us doing piercing during the pandemic. He thinks it's not urgent and we should wait until next year. He also hasn't gotten his hair cut since March lol. My only reason for now, and not waiting, is that DD asked for this for her birthday and turning 13 during a pandemic sucks and so I'm trying to make it as special as possible.

So would you do it now or wait?

While it would be outside my personal comfort zone right now (even with numbers low in my area), I think that the particular shop you're choosing for this would make me feel safer. Even so, I say do it.

While I agree with your DH that it's not urgent, I also agree with you that your DD needs something to celebrate right now.

Call the place and ask about masks and whether ear-loop styles interfere with the way they pierce 2nd holes. Ask if a tied-around-the-head style might be easier for the piercer to work around. And then go.

AnnieW625
07-22-2020, 10:53 AM
It's like everything else during this cruddy pandemic - there is no right or wrong answer here. If you are comfortable and follow guidelines, it's probably fine. But if you, or your DH, feel it's too big of a risk, it's also ok. How's that for a non-answer?! :)

Being in NY with your numbers, I would feel much better about going. If you decide to make an appointment, call the shop ahead and ask about their safety practices - masking, sanitizing and number of people in the shop at a time. Make sure their answers match your requirements. I completely understand wanting to do something fun for your DD since a fun party isn't possible.

Yes to this. I need to take Dd2 to get her ears pierced once they reopen again. It wasn’t on the forefront of things I needed to do when piercing places were open last month though and I honestly kind of forgot about it. Dd2 turned 10 in late April and she couldn’t get it done then, which we had promised her for her 10th birthday. The next time piercing studios reopen I will take her. We will have to travel back to our current area to get it done, but the place (piercing studio/tattoo parlor) is clean and they were really nice when Dd1 got hers done at 10 years old as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
07-22-2020, 10:58 AM
I’d feel ok doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
07-22-2020, 11:00 AM
I would do it now IF it is not going to cause big problems between you and DH. I'd also call and find out what kind of mask they recommend to give them the best access, and maybe ask if you can schedule on a day where you can be the first appointment of the day?

mikala
07-22-2020, 11:45 AM
I would call ahead to find out their Covid precautions. I'd expect them to at least wear masks, ideally mask+ face shield, sanitize tools and surfaces and to minimize time in any shared waiting spaces, etc. If you feel comfortable with the procedures I'd go for it. My personal perspective is that the risk is only going to increase as we go into the cold months, schools and universities open again and the line between common cold and Covid symptoms becomes really blurred. The numbers in our area are rising so I'm going ahead and taking care of well-child visits, dentist appointments, etc. before community spread worsens and we approach another shut down. I recognize that a piercing is optional but if you're going to do it this seems like the time.

jgenie
07-22-2020, 01:26 PM
We’re with your DH and avoiding non essential outings now. However, if you’re comfortable with the parlor and their COVID safety practices, I would call to schedule first appointment on the day after they’re closed (so generally a Monday or Tuesday depending on the parlors schedule). It would be great for your daughter and I think worth the minimal risk.

KpbS
07-22-2020, 01:32 PM
I vote now. :) I would call and ask if they can do the piercing outside. We did that for DC’s haircuts and will again.

fauve01
07-22-2020, 01:49 PM
I would wait.

wendibird22
07-23-2020, 02:10 PM
Thanks all. DH is kinda being a jerk about it. I want to have a discussion, like talk out what I'm thinking and why. He's all "it absolutely can wait until spring or next summer or whenever the pandemic is over. period." But then he says, if you want to do it, then do it, whatever. As in, your mind is made up, so is mine, do what you want. Grrr....this should go in the bitching post!

I gotta tell ya, part of me is fine with waiting, he's right it's not urgent, it can wait, and it's not worth the battle with DH (actually won't be a battle will just be seen as me totally ignoring his feelings on the matter). The other half of me wants to go ahead and do it because I think I'm being reasonable and I think he's being unreasonable for not wanting to at least hear me out about my reasoning. Like, 15mins with a piercer in a sterile environment doesn't seem any more risky to me then the hour dentist appointment both kids had recently, or the annual physicals they are scheduled to have next week, or the 30mins he'll spend in Home Depot today returning items he bought online, or the hour plus he'll spend at his own annual physical this afternoon. So yes it is purely optional and doesn't have to happen now but also a 15min piercing appointment where we are all masked and we are the only client in the shop just doesn't seem that risky on the scale of risks.

Sigh....COVID sucks....

doberbrat
07-23-2020, 02:25 PM
I'm with your dh but I also get turning 13 is a big deal during a time when she likely isnt seeing any friends and doing anything outside.

Could the piercer do it outside? Could you diy? I saw a diy piercer on amazon (mostly kidding with this one.....)

belovedgandp
07-23-2020, 03:26 PM
I took DD to a tattoo/piercing studio two months ago. We returned this past week for her ear check.

I'm in the Midwest. Mid-May was the beginning of things opening up around here. We were there the first week the shop was open again. The protocols were so clearly in place I had zero issues with the entire process both times we were in the shop. Masks on the entire time. Only two people working at a time in a space that used to have up to six. No support people; except minors for piercings.

This was a 10th birthday delayed gift for DD. Would have been delayed because of sports so on the calendar no different. But went ahead and did now because hopefully sport seasons will start causing issues again.

wendibird22
07-23-2020, 05:23 PM
Update: DH has a physical today and asked his doc (a woman) her opinion on it and apparently she said no unequivocally.

So that’s that. No sense trying to win an argument I’m gonna lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fauve01
07-23-2020, 06:50 PM
Thanks all. DH is kinda being a jerk about it. I want to have a discussion, like talk out what I'm thinking and why. He's all "it absolutely can wait until spring or next summer or whenever the pandemic is over. period." But then he says, if you want to do it, then do it, whatever. As in, your mind is made up, so is mine, do what you want. Grrr....this should go in the bitching post!

I gotta tell ya, part of me is fine with waiting, he's right it's not urgent, it can wait, and it's not worth the battle with DH (actually won't be a battle will just be seen as me totally ignoring his feelings on the matter). The other half of me wants to go ahead and do it because I think I'm being reasonable and I think he's being unreasonable for not wanting to at least hear me out about my reasoning. Like, 15mins with a piercer in a sterile environment doesn't seem any more risky to me then the hour dentist appointment both kids had recently, or the annual physicals they are scheduled to have next week, or the 30mins he'll spend in Home Depot today returning items he bought online, or the hour plus he'll spend at his own annual physical this afternoon. So yes it is purely optional and doesn't have to happen now but also a 15min piercing appointment where we are all masked and we are the only client in the shop just doesn't seem that risky on the scale of risks.

Sigh....COVID sucks....

I'm with your DH. Piercing is totally optional.