PDA

View Full Version : Which SUVs should I look at?

sf333
07-23-2020, 01:26 PM
Please help me identify SUVs to consider in my car search. I currently drive a '10 Honda Pilot. I'm looking for something at least that size, preferably a bit bigger (no minivans). We have 3 kids and a dog so 3 rows is a must. We also need 4wd as we live in snow country. Recommendations? What do you have that you love? We are looking for a used vehicle and absolute max is $35k but prefer to be $30k or under.

ETA: Preference is a vehicle bigger than the Pilot

SnuggleBuggles
07-23-2020, 01:41 PM
Pilot, Highlander or whatever the appropriate Mazda is of that size (CX9?). The Subaru doubtful has any Ascends available used but I’d check those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mom2binsd
07-23-2020, 02:48 PM
I really like my newer Buick Envision, the Enclave is the right size for you and very comfy to sit in with plenty of nice features.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kindra178
07-23-2020, 03:42 PM
The enclave is bigger than the pilot but doesn’t have the zippy drive. Used ones are quite reasonable around here.

Be careful with bigger - some bigger cars have smaller barely usable third rows.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
07-23-2020, 05:40 PM
Please help me identify SUVs to consider in my car search. I currently drive a '10 Honda Pilot. I'm looking for something at least that size, preferably a bit bigger (no minivans). We have 3 kids and a dog so 3 rows is a must. We also need 4wd as we live in snow country. Recommendations? What do you have that you love? We are looking for a used vehicle and absolute max is $35k but prefer to be $30k or under.

ETA: Preference is a vehicle bigger than the Pilot

Toyota Sequoia? Probably more than a bit bigger, but I'm not exactly sure the size of the 2010 Pilot.

Third row is very roomy. Can get one with either 2 or 3 seats in the middle row depending on trim level. Back is 3 seats.

It is very much a TRUCK though, not a cross-over/car chassis type SUV.

We have cross-countried several times with ours and it has been great! We do love it. On our second one. After the first one was totalled we looked at other big SUVs and came firmly back around to the Sequoia.

carolinamama
07-23-2020, 06:17 PM
I really like my Yukon XL for 3 kids/2 dogs but it's big. Next car I plan to look at the Toyota Sequoia but could end up with another Yukon. Maybe the Chevy Traverse? The bigger you get, the higher your gas cost will be.

sf333
07-23-2020, 06:45 PM
Toyota Sequoia? Probably more than a bit bigger, but I'm not exactly sure the size of the 2010 Pilot.

Third row is very roomy. Can get one with either 2 or 3 seats in the middle row depending on trim level. Back is 3 seats.

It is very much a TRUCK though, not a cross-over/car chassis type SUV.

We have cross-countried several times with ours and it has been great! We do love it. On our second one. After the first one was totalled we looked at other big SUVs and came firmly back around to the Sequoia.

I think I may need to check one of these out. I’ve never been inside of one but I like the way they look. Thanks for the idea!

sf333
07-23-2020, 06:47 PM
I really like my Yukon XL for 3 kids/2 dogs but it's big. Next car I plan to look at the Toyota Sequoia but could end up with another Yukon. Maybe the Chevy Traverse? The bigger you get, the higher your gas cost will be.

From an appearance standpoint, my favorite SUV is the Tahoe/Yukon. They are both on the list! I looked up my gas mileage and there wasn’t much of a difference between the Pilot and Tahoe, to my surprise.

AnnieW625
07-23-2020, 07:45 PM
Toyota Sequoia is larger than a 2010 Honda Pilot, it is up there in size with a Tahoe/Yukon (not as big as a Suburban/Yukon XL) . Other cars in that size class that come to mind are: Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX 80, Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator, and Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX570.

I drove a Ford Flex for a bit for my vanpool and I surprisingly didn’t hate it and even though it was lower to the ground (and long like driving my parents 80s station wagon) it seemed to have a lot of usable space like a Tahoe. I also drove a VW Atlas for my vanpool for over a year and I really liked how spacious it was and I sat in the 3rd row when I wasn’t driving (I am 5’6”) and I always felt like I had plenty of space. My coworker who sat back there with me was 5’9” and she didn’t complain about it either. However it would not be big enough for 3 dogs and 3 teens.

I don’t really consider the Mazda CX-9, Subaru Ascent, Kia Telluride, Toyota Highlander, VW Atlas, or Volvo XC 90 and the current Honda Pilot to be large size SUVs. I would I say they are mid size or if they are considered large then the Tahoe/Yukon are XL, and the Suburban is a monster size. They have 3 rows but are going to be tight with 3 teens and 3 dogs.

With all of that said everyone I know who has two or more kids and at least one dog who has or had a Surburban or Yukon XL has loved them. My BIL’s wife had an Yukon XL and two kids under 10 and one dog and loved that car to pieces. She had to get rid of it after the transmission went out on it (it was about 11 years old when about two years ago) and she went with the Infiniti QX60 instead of another Yukon XL and she misses the Yukon XL a ton. DH’s uncle drove a Suburban for years after his kids were out of school, and athletics. He loves that car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kdeunc
07-24-2020, 01:27 PM
We love our Suburbans. Three kids, 2 really big dogs and still room in the back. In the Tahoe if you use the third row you have very little cargo space. We have captain's chairs in the middle row and that gives us a lot of flexibility. Ours are 4X4 because we use them on the beach. I currently have a 2007 with 197K miles on it and we have spent less than $2500 on things other than general maintenance. My husband has a 2013 with 96K. They have been really great vehicles for us.

Melbel
07-24-2020, 02:04 PM
I love my Infiniti QX80 and previously had the predecessor model QX56 which I happily drove for 11 years. We have 3 kids and 2 medium dogs. It has a very roomy 3rd row where our son chose to sit on road trips (note he's over in 6' tall). With the features I wanted like leather, I have been able to purchase at a lower price than similarly equipped Sequoia. We negotiate with numerous dealerships in state and just show up to sign paperwork. It drives very smoothly more like a car. Only downside is gas mileage.

hellokitty
07-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Yeah, you need to go up one size to the tahoe, sequoia level. I have a subaru ascent and I love it, but from your wish list, it won't deliver.

MSWR0319
07-24-2020, 03:09 PM
I love my Infiniti QX80 and previously had the predecessor model QX56 which I happily drove for 11 years. We have 3 kids and 2 medium dogs. It has a very roomy 3rd row where our son chose to sit on road trips (note he's over in 6' tall). With the features I wanted like leather, I have been able to purchase at a lower price than similarly equipped Sequoia. We negotiate with numerous dealerships in state and just show up to sign paperwork. It drives very smoothly more like a car. Only downside is gas mileage.

:yeahthat: I will not own another vehicle unless I decide to downsize. It drives amazingly smooth!