PDA

View Full Version : I miss quiet

ahisma
01-01-2021, 10:59 PM
That's it. I miss quiet. The kids are finally in bed and I was hoping to read, but DH is playing the guitar. I feel like a jerk asking him to stop doing something he enjoys, but I just really, really miss quiet. And none of them seem to get it. At all.

Reyadawnbringer
01-01-2021, 11:01 PM
Same. Definitely same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myira
01-01-2021, 11:28 PM
I can relate! And my requirement for quiet is when eating dinner. My DS will talk nonstop and ask a barrage of questions. While I love family dinners in theory, these days I’d prefer to eat by myself in peace! We’ve tried telling him that conversation over dinner needs to be slow and calm but that does not sink in.
I guess for once I can appreciate my DH who is a man of few words lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
01-01-2021, 11:40 PM
Oh my gosh! I was in my office earlier today and they slowly started trickling in one by one. With each addition the noise level rose. It took all my effort to keep from asking them to leave. DC have this high pitched laugh when they’re monkeying around with each other and it drives me batty.

niccig
01-02-2021, 01:32 AM
I miss being alone in the house. I’m the one that does all the errands. I work part-time at a hospital, so we figure I’m already indoors with others and we’re limiting who goes into stores. DH and DS rarely go anywhere without me too. I can’t remember the last time I was alone in the house.

SnuggleBuggles
01-02-2021, 10:14 AM
I have tried unsuccessfully to kick them out of the house (sending them on walks...). 1 time they all left and I thought I at least had 45 minutes alone. Then ds1 showed up 5 minutes later because he changed his mind about the walk. I frequently leave for walks or errands. Dh acted put out the times I went on walks alone while he’s been on holiday vacation but there was no way I was inviting anyone. I did finish my audiobook so I’ll invite people today. Maybe.
Eta- it’s often too quiet here. People go to their own spaces a lot. I just miss having the house to myself. I do wake up early in an attempt to savor the peace. When people are up, I feel like I need to be more “on”.

Liziz
01-02-2021, 12:03 PM
I feel you so very deeply. I desperately need quiet (not just alone time, but actual quiet) and it is so, so, so rare these days. I know I'm lucky, because the "sounds" that bother me are usually good sounds -- kids having fun together, singing, etc. -- but it doesn't change the fact that it's not QUIET, which is what I'm craving!

lizzywednesday
01-02-2021, 12:21 PM
I have been so on-edge that I didn't really connect with the fact that I'm used to having long stretches of quiet and alone time while DD and DH are out at school and work, respectively.

I started locking them out of my bedroom once a week and it's helped a lot, but it's not the same.

nfceagles
01-02-2021, 12:50 PM
Eta- it’s often too quiet here. People go to their own spaces a lot. I just miss having the house to myself. I do wake up early in an attempt to savor the peace. When people are up, I feel like I need to be more “on”.

This is me. My kids often retreat to their own space, but DH has been working from home since March and never goes anywhere. He used to travel A LOT. I miss just having the house to myself. And I always feel like I need to be productive because he’s here to see if I’m being lazy. Not that he’s a jerk at all about what I do, it’s just me feeling self conscious about taking a break or an occasional nap. I honestly don’t have much to do these days because I don’t work and all the volunteer stuff I used to do is no more. I’m lucky I know but I feel like I should have a clean house and gourmet meals but I HATE that stuff so I don’t.

WatchingThemGrow
01-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Ladies...I figured it out!!

QUIET TIME is reinstated! An hour or more each day is saving my sanity.

DualvansMommy
01-02-2021, 03:35 PM
What’s that? I really have forgotten what a quiet house feels like and can’t even remember last time I was alone in my own home.

I was about to take my solo 2 night trip end of November but broke my foot. So that trip was cancelled and my world went down from whole house where I could escape to my room, master bath or go out for walks/solo drive to think to just my recliner in the den. So of course everyone is around me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ett
01-02-2021, 04:08 PM
I do get quiet time as my kids are older and will do their own stuff, but it's not the same as being alone in the house, which I really miss. DH works from home so is at home basically all the time. My kids are in different cohorts in school, so I don't even have both kids in school at the same time.

wendibird22
01-02-2021, 05:43 PM
Solidarity! My DD2 (11) is nonstop talking or making noise. She has to fill the void with sound. All.day.long.

I got up at 6am the other day (vacation day) just to do yoga in peace. 5 mins in and DD2 comes downstairs. Today I did yoga in my bedroom with the door closed. 10min in and she comes into the room to pet the dog (who follows me everywhere). Yesterday I sat down to read a book and literally opened to the page and both DDs came up and asked if I wanted to play a game.

And now that they are getting older they stay up later so what used to be my evening quiet is no longer my time.

doberbrat
01-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Amen! dd1 stays in her room most of the time but when she comes out its to scream and throw teenage tantrums. During dinner, she talks NONSTOP. I finally told her one day that teens are supposed to be morose and silent and not to want to talk to their parents after she kept going on and on and on about some story. DD2 makes noise incessantly. She talks, she hums, she sings. She talks to the dogs in baby talk. She plays her violin or her flute.

At the beginning of quarantine I started walking daily. Alone. I started at a mile, then bumped it to 2. Now, I walk between 3-6mi a day. just so I can escape the talking

bisous
01-02-2021, 08:39 PM
Ladies...I figured it out!!

QUIET TIME is reinstated! An hour or more each day is saving my sanity.

I have done this since March and I do often reflect on how this has saved us all. We have a little house and I think we ALL need the separation. We have FIVE rooms (3 bedrooms, living room and dining/kitchen) and 6 people. So it is REALLY hard, even in quiet time to be truly alone.

My other "hack" is getting up at 5:00. I CRAVE it. To the point that my sisters asked my NYE plans and my response was "I'm planning on trying as hard as I can to get to bed at a regular time so that I can still get up early without being grouchy so that I can have my alone time" which sounded really pathetic when I typed it out as a text.

And I still think that having a quiet house will be one of the things I most look forward to! I LOVE being with my people, but a quiet house sounds magnificent!

jgenie
01-02-2021, 09:08 PM
I have done this since March and I do often reflect on how this has saved us all. We have a little house and I think we ALL need the separation. We have FIVE rooms (3 bedrooms, living room and dining/kitchen) and 6 people. So it is REALLY hard, even in quiet time to be truly alone.
t!

We have more rooms than people here. Yet we were all squeezed into one room this afternoon. I was on the phone on hold this afternoon. DC brought their lego sets to my office to keep me company. DH follows shortly after with a book to read in my glider. They have music on, DS2 has a constant monologue going, DS1 is commenting on the monologue, hold music playing and not a one of them was bothered by the noise. Meanwhile I can’t hear the woman on the phone and I have to bypass all the land mines they’ve dragged in with them when I get up to do anything. I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of us all basically on top of each other and the rest of the house completely empty!

bisous
01-04-2021, 02:04 PM
We have more rooms than people here. Yet we were all squeezed into one room this afternoon. I was on the phone on hold this afternoon. DC brought their lego sets to my office to keep me company. DH follows shortly after with a book to read in my glider. They have music on, DS2 has a constant monologue going, DS1 is commenting on the monologue, hold music playing and not a one of them was bothered by the noise. Meanwhile I can’t hear the woman on the phone and I have to bypass all the land mines they’ve dragged in with them when I get up to do anything. I couldn’t help but laugh at the irony of us all basically on top of each other and the rest of the house completely empty!

Aww. Part of me smiles that they love you so much (even if it gets a little too much sometimes!) Good to know that even in a big space we might be on top of each other!

jgenie
01-04-2021, 02:32 PM
Aww. Part of me smiles that they love you so much (even if it gets a little too much sometimes!) Good to know that even in a big space we might be on top of each other!

I grumble but it sure is nice to feel wanted. (Currently paying bills as DS2 (nearly 11) plays on the floor while he's on break from school. He runs up here after each class session.)

StantonHyde
01-05-2021, 12:18 AM

My other "hack" is getting up at 5:00. I CRAVE it. To the point that my sisters asked my NYE plans and my response was "I'm planning on trying as hard as I can to get to bed at a regular time so that I can still get up early without being grouchy so that I can have my alone time" which sounded really pathetic when I typed it out as a text.

And I still think that having a quiet house will be one of the things I most look forward to! I LOVE being with my people, but a quiet house sounds magnificent!

oh wait--you didn't count the bathroom :-)

bisous
01-05-2021, 12:11 PM
oh wait--you didn't count the bathroom :-)

That should be my spot. ;) The OG original solace for "alone time" for moms everywhere...

Really though, most days I can send someone to front carport or backyard so I shouldn't complain!

AngB
01-05-2021, 12:16 PM
My kids are finally all back to in person school for now. I have so much sympathy for you virtual learning families. One of my friends posted that her husband gifted her a night alone in a hotel room for Christmas and that sounded like the best gift I have ever heard.

bisous
01-05-2021, 12:22 PM
My kids are finally all back to in person school for now. I have so much sympathy for you virtual learning families. One of my friends posted that her husband gifted her a night alone in a hotel room for Christmas and that sounded like the best gift I have ever heard.

My BIL did that for my sister! It was very gratefully received. :)

gatorsmom
01-05-2021, 04:47 PM
And now that they are getting older they stay up later so what used to be my evening quiet is no longer my time.

THIS! I miss quiet nights! I am a night owl and live to have my house alone at night. But my teenagers have all developed into night-owls too. And they have more energy than I do so I can’t stay up as late as they can. Of course, now they sleep in til 11am when school isn’t on so I’ll have to adjust to being a morning person.