PDA

View Full Version : Life after Vaccine

gamma
01-25-2021, 11:51 AM
I received dose #2 of the Moderna vaccine on Saturday. While dealing with the after effects yesterday, I started thinking about after 14+ days, what have I really missed doing and would be comfortable doing? Silly as it sounds, but I would love to go to a smaller market, wearing a mask and pick out my own produce. I'm thankful for Instacart, but choosing produce just isn't the same. Two of my closest friends will be fully vaccinated and I look forward to seeing them. A few of my siblings will be vaccinated, but live with their children and grandchildren, so I'm not comfortable visiting them, but maybe invite just the vaccinated siblings to visit? What have you missed and what would feel comfortable doing?

SnuggleBuggles
01-25-2021, 12:02 PM
My friend shared on Facebook that she was keeping a list of who was vaccinated so she’d know who to hug (she was vaccinated too).
I look forward to eating in a restaurant and having friends over inside. We just moved in before everything shut down so we never really got to show it off!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

carolinamama
01-25-2021, 12:17 PM
I most look forward to average things being simpler. It feels like everything is harder - the constant weighing safety levels of activities I wouldn't question before. For example, the dentist, the doctor, giving a wide berth to other path-users. I look forward to telling my kids yes when they ask for a playdate or sleepover. I can't wait to eat in a restaurant where someone else prepares my food and cleans up afterward. And travel - I miss having a fun trip to plan and look forward to. It will also be great to see my parents, other than outside from a distance. I'm not sure when I'll feel comfortable with all of these but I'm really excited for the day to come.

bisous
01-25-2021, 12:23 PM
Almost everything that I look forward to will happen with my kids so I'm not sure when life will feel "normal" again. I most want to be able to go to museums, libraries and even the PARK again with my kids. That would be SO nice. And to see grandparents and cousins again. We used to see them several times a month and now they haven't really hung out for the past ten months.

carolinacool
01-25-2021, 12:30 PM
I've been out and about a little more than many on the board, but there are things I'm still looking forward to:

1. Seeing my parents!
2. Eating inside restaurants regularly.
3. Meeting friends inside without masks.
4. Beach trip.

DH and I BOTH being able to see DS play ball. This varies by venue, by the Y league is allowing only one spectator at basketball games (no spectators at practice), so DH and I are alternating. Saturday was my turn and every three minutes DH was blowing my phone up wanting to know the score and how DS was playing. When AAU season restarts, we both should be able to attend.

basil
01-25-2021, 12:35 PM
I am 2+ weeks out from my second dose.

I did some really special things to mark the occasion. I had a mammogram and I scheduled a cleaning at the dentist! Next up is a haircut (it will have been a year).

I stopped wearing N95 and eye protection for shopping, and went back to a standard surgical mask for errands.

I'm waiting on my mom to get her vaccine in order for my kids to get together with them (my dad got his second dose today). She's been very impatient, but nothing we can do to speed it up and if it's a matter of weeks or a month or two I don't want to risk it so close to the end.

My grandmother is getting her second dose tomorrow, and once she's home again I'll visit her weekly.

It's been nice that I no longer feel like I have COVID every time I sneeze or clear my throat.

Bisous - I don't understand why you need the vaccine to go to the park?

ETA I found this a good article about what you should and shouldn't do post-vaccine https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/vaccines-kids-and-a-refresher-on

bisous
01-25-2021, 12:56 PM
Bisous - I don't understand why you need the vaccine to go to the park?

I'm just hoping they'll open back up. They're officially closed. They were open from October 1st to December 7th. Otherwise they've been closed since March!

basil
01-25-2021, 12:58 PM
I'm just hoping they'll open back up. They're officially closed. They were open from October 1st to December 7th. Otherwise they've been closed since March!

I'm sorry. That's ridiculous and sad. People don't get COVID from the park :(

acmom
01-25-2021, 01:31 PM
I've been trying to figure out what life will look like and how cautious we will need to be once DH and I (plus all 4 grandparents) are vaccinated, but the kids are not. Our older 2 have nothing that would stand out as making them higher risk. Our youngest has an asthma diagnosis, but only takes meds as needed (usually a couple times a year and it has been almost a year since the last time) so not sure what that means for her risk level. Our area's numbers have been declining again thank heavens...we are at about 4-5% positivity rate I think.

I'm thinking we will be able to see our parents, which will be so nice and will feel much more comfortable running errands and at work. I would love for it to open up more possibilities for our kids, but not sure about that piece?

hbridge
01-25-2021, 01:37 PM
What is amazing to me is how many people around the country have been able to get the vaccine. Our state is lagging so far behind. My elderly parents have been told the beginning of MARCH! I think DH and I are looking at July/August at the earlies...

However, most of my parents friends out of state have already been vaccinated and even some of my friends (who are not front line workers, teachers, ect.) have been vaccinated.

We need a national plan SOON!

essnce629
01-25-2021, 01:42 PM
I'm just hoping they'll open back up. They're officially closed. They were open from October 1st to December 7th. Otherwise they've been closed since March!Really? Our parks here in LA are open, unless they're closed and no one cares? BUT ours our sooo crowded it's like pre-covid times or most likely worse! Like thousands of people at our large park! The playgrounds for the kids are packed and people are gathering in what seems like large extended families and friend groups having bbqs and picnics, with a large percentage not wearing masks! Before things got really bad in December I took DS2 to the park to meet 4 friends (masked). They were playing basketball when a group of older boys came over and wanted to play with them. There were 5 or 6 of them and none were wearing masks. I had to step in and say they couldn't play without masks. They were like "oh ok" and immediately went to their backpacks, got out their masks, and put them on! DH and DS2 go bike riding around our large park on Sundays and it's ridiculously crowded and all the parking lots and street parking are full.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

niccig
01-25-2021, 01:49 PM

It’s the playgrounds that are closed as kids playing close together. The park itself you can go to.But they opened up the parks again Bisous, at least here they did. I would only go if not crowded. We went bike riding and a popular park was packed with large groups.

gatorsmom
01-25-2021, 01:53 PM
I look forward to telling my kids yes when they ask for a playdate or sleepover. I can't wait to eat in a restaurant where someone else prepares my food and cleans up afterward. And travel - I miss having a fun trip to plan and look forward to. It will also be great to see my parents, other than outside

A huge YES to all of this except my parents are already dead so my beloved aunts and uncles. I can’t wait to see them.

basil
01-25-2021, 02:06 PM
It’s the playgrounds that are closed as kids playing close together. The park itself you can go to.But they opened up the parks again Bisous, at least here they did. I would only go if not crowded. We went bike riding and a popular park was packed with large groups.

It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low. The playground would have to be so crowded that it had lines to climb the slide, and even then I think I'd be fine. I really don't care if other people are gathering in groups, as it doesn't affect my risk if I'm not in that group? (I do care, in a general "this is bad for society" type of way, but not in a "this is dangerous to me and I need to leave" way)

wendibird22
01-25-2021, 03:04 PM
I'll have my second dose next week, DH will have his in 2 weeks, and my mom will have hers in 3 weeks. I look forward to restaurants, and movie theaters, and spectating at kids' sports, and window shopping at a store just for the heck of it. But, I won't feel comfortable doing any of that until most of the community is vaccinated. There's still so little data on whether the vaccine prevents infection or transmission that I just can't see doing "normal" until I'm not in the minority of vaccination status. And what if I'm the 5% it is not effective for? That'd suck!

AnnieW625
01-25-2021, 03:13 PM
It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low. The playground would have to be so crowded that it had lines to climb the slide, and even then I think I'd be fine. I really don't care if other people are gathering in groups, as it doesn't affect my risk if I'm not in that group? (I do care, in a general "this is bad for society" type of way, but not in a "this is dangerous to me and I need to leave" way)

There are 8 million or so people who live in Los Angeles County alone; that is almost a 1/3rd of the state’s population. It is very hard to imagine unless you have ever lived here. I moved two counties over and there are only 3 million people in our county (and my county stretches all the way east to Arizona) and even in Orange County (which was 3 miles from my old house) felt less dense in some places than LA County. LA County is also about 100 or so miles from the southern most point to the most northern point and about 65 miles wide from it’s most eastern point to western point; however the bulk of the population in the general LA Basin area (LA has 3 million people and is probably 40 miles long north (Van Nuys) to south (San Pedro) and 20 miles wide (East LA) east to west (Venice)).

I lived down the street from a park in my old city and other than people walking around it’s border as it was about .25 miles per side it was never crowded once covid hit, but all parks and play structures were closed and taped off for the last four months we lived there. The park near my house isn’t that busy and we sent the girls during Xmas break. The overall park is quite large and I am okay walking there and even playing sports there now.

Just saying that LA can’t really be compared to anything else other than maybe Manhattan which is more densely populated, but I am sure probably still has more parks/playgrounds per capita than LA.

Also people here use the parks for parties because houses are all on 5000 sq. ft. lots or condos/apartments have no yards and no play spaces are open so I think that could be part of the issue that some of the LA posters are afraid of; walking straight into a super spreader event when they want to take their kids to a park or just to exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

essnce629
01-25-2021, 03:40 PM
It's possible that I've never been to what counts as a crowded playground in southern California. But it's hard for me to imagine a playground I wouldn't be comfortable at at this point. I think the risk of outdoor transmission with universal masking is incredibly low.

The main problem is that a large majority are NOT wearing masks, even though it's mandated in all public spaces. If everyone wore masks I'd have less issues.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

smilequeen
01-25-2021, 04:29 PM
I am on the list but not scheduled yet. It won’t change anything for me, I’ve always been scared to give the virus to someone vulnerable rather than nervous about catching it myself. The vaccine doesn’t change that. I’ve been going about a reasonable life with masks and distancing anyway. Maybe I will feel better about going out to eat. That’s not been ok for me yet. What will really make me feel better is when my parents are vaccinated and can get hugs from my boys.

pinkmomagain
01-25-2021, 05:05 PM
Hugging my mom and sister and having them in the house -- when we've all got shot #2.

JBaxter
01-25-2021, 05:08 PM
Life is relatively normal here in Florida. School in person no one wears masks outside or on the street everything is open. League & school sports are all full capacity. Indoors its dependent on the business. No one wears them at the gym chain stores people wear them local businesses not so much.

PZMommy
01-25-2021, 05:19 PM
I don't foresee anything changing for me for quite some time. I won't feel comfortable until many people are vaccinated, and here is Los Angeles, that is going to take quite some time (possibly not until 2022!). I don't live near my family, so not seeing them is nothing new. I do hope we can return to some sort of in person schooling in the fall though. Someday I want to go out and eat inside at a restaurant (I won't even eat outside at a restaurant), but until then I will just continue to do pick up and delivery.

niccig
01-25-2021, 06:30 PM

The park by my house is fine, not too many people and spread out. The playground we were riding by is in Griffith Park, our version of Central Park. Some tables you could see were one family, others had 20-30 people for a birthday party eating together. Kids were waiting their turn on the swings etc. it was super packed and not everyone had masks. This was during the order to not get together with people outside your house. And people wonder why Covid numbers skyrocketed!

Tenasparkl
01-25-2021, 06:48 PM
I don't foresee anything changing for me for quite some time. I won't feel comfortable until many people are vaccinated, and here is Los Angeles, that is going to take quite some time (possibly not until 2022!). I don't live near my family, so not seeing them is nothing new. I do hope we can return to some sort of in person schooling in the fall though. Someday I want to go out and eat inside at a restaurant (I won't even eat outside at a restaurant), but until then I will just continue to do pick up and delivery.

I'm with you on all of this. I'm glad that things seem to be better in other places, but it's still terrible here right now.

hellokitty
01-31-2021, 12:50 PM
It doesn't change much of anything until we get more people vaccinated AND people are continuing to follow covid precautions like masks, distancing, avoiding large gatherings and handwashing.

DH and I are both HCP, we get our second dose next week. I feel like it changes nothing, except that if WE get it, we will hopefully have a less severe form of covid. My kids have been in-person this entire school year, I still do not feel comfortable seeing my at-risk parents or any of my church friends who are older and also at-risk. The only people I have gotten together with are 1-1 friends when the weather was warmer and we'd go on a walk together. That is basically it. The vaccine doesn't mean you won't carry the virus, so you can still infect someone else unintentionally.

NCGrandma
01-31-2021, 01:20 PM
As most of you know, I live in a CCRC, so both residents and staff are pretty high on the vaccine list. Thanks to both an on-campus mass vaccine event and earlier opportunities at local healthcare systems, nearly all residents and maybe 3/4 of staff have already received their first dose of the vaccine. In the next 2 weeks, most of us will have our second dose.

This is both a good thing and a real challenge. The messaging challenge comes because some folks think that all bets are off and they can now do whatever they want, including inviting young family and friends to come visit them. Many of us realize that we will still need to follow the fundamental precautions (masks, distancing, etc). I know as we get farther out from the second dose date, there will be increasing pressure to reopen the dining room and other public areas.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JustMe
01-31-2021, 02:39 PM
It won't change much here at least until ds (15) can be vaccinated. He has asthma and I am concerned that there are kids who do get Covid bad or have the after-disease. Of course, i care about others outside of my family who wont be vaccinated as well, but would just continue to mask and be careful, but I don't want to have to mask and avoid possible spread in my own home.

HannaAddict
01-31-2021, 03:43 PM

When the parks get crowded and people don’t wear masks, they sure can get Covid. Southern California has been a hot spot, to the level of extra morgue trucks, and closing parks is one way to control people who gather and don’t take precautions. If people were as reasonable as on this board, you’d be right about unnecessary to close parks but sadly, the safety and community conscious folks here aren’t the norm.

HannaAddict
01-31-2021, 03:45 PM
Travel. We miss traveling and exploring and we are lucky to travel quite a bit so it has been a big change.

California
01-31-2021, 06:50 PM
My own DH and kids are doing alright. It's my big extended family that I am concerned about and miss. Relatives and friends providing medical care for COVID19 patients are all so exhausted, either working or sleeping, and the mental toll is very apparent. It's impacting their spouses and kids, too. I want to meet up with relatives for family dinners and talk over a glass of wine while our kids hang out. I can't wait to see our best friends' new baby! Get back to my mom group that I've known since our high schoolers were in kindergarten together! I want to be able to plan group vacations again. And travel travel travel! I also look forward to teaching in person without the threat of the kids being super spreaders. I don't see any of this happening soon, but the more people get vaccinated the lighter the strain on our healthcare workers. That will be SO good!

doberbrat
01-31-2021, 07:13 PM
This is both a good thing and a real challenge. The messaging challenge comes because some folks think that all bets are off and they can now do whatever they want, including inviting young family and friends to come visit them. Many of us realize that we will still need to follow the fundamental precautions (masks, distancing, etc). I know as we get farther out from the second dose date, there will be increasing pressure to reopen the dining room and other public areas. Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Yup. My aunt posted today on FB that she is excited to start seeing friends because she is getting her FIRST shot soon!

My mother was telling me yesterday about her trip to the church 2nd hand store where she scored a bargain of a belt. I told her 'You're supposed to be STAYING HOME' "But its boring" was her response. "Plus, I got my 1st shot. " :banghead::banghead: She's on dialysis, has lung and heart damage AND is 75!

I think for myself, it wont matter much since dh and my kids wont get the shot anytime soon. But mentally, it will be less taxing when I have to go to the grocery store and worry about whether someone is walking too close to me.

trales
01-31-2021, 08:36 PM
For me, it won't change anything until everyone has it, including those in the developing world. But it will make getting supplies less stressful for me. Maybe I can get those new lenses at COSTCO and prescription sunglasses without feeling like I am putting my whole family at risk. I will still mask up, stay away, wash everything for a long time.

calebsmama03
01-31-2021, 11:10 PM
I am on the list but not scheduled yet. It won’t change anything for me, I’ve always been scared to give the virus to someone vulnerable rather than nervous about catching it myself. The vaccine doesn’t change that. I’ve been going about a reasonable life with masks and distancing anyway. Maybe I will feel better about going out to eat. That’s not been ok for me yet. What will really make me feel better is when my parents are vaccinated and can get hugs from my boys.

This. Since kids can't get the vax yet I will still worry - especially now since the reports that a fully vaccinated congressman tested positive for Covid. I think it is still unknown whether fully vaccinated people can still be infected and spread the voris just without getting seriously ill themselves. I won't feel safe changing my behavior until we have a lot more data about these things, so not much will change here when we finally get ours. :(

ezcc
02-01-2021, 10:45 AM
I get that improvement will not happen overnight, and that precautions will still need to be taken but I am surprised at how many people think things won't really change for a long time. I really think that once a more critical mass of people have been vaccinated community spread will really take a dive- and I am hoping we will start to see that by this spring. Cases here are already starting to significantly drop- I am not sure if it is due to the vaccine or just a flattening after the holiday spike or what. I think I will be worrying a lot less, and living more or less normally-including restaurants and travel by this summer/fall, assuming I have been vaccinated by then, even if my kids have not yet.

jgenie
02-01-2021, 12:46 PM
I get that improvement will not happen overnight, and that precautions will still need to be taken but I am surprised at how many people think things won't really change for a long time. I really think that once a more critical mass of people have been vaccinated community spread will really take a dive- and I am hoping we will start to see that by this spring. Cases here are already starting to significantly drop- I am not sure if it is due to the vaccine or just a flattening after the holiday spike or what. I think I will be worrying a lot less, and living more or less normally-including restaurants and travel by this summer/fall, assuming I have been vaccinated by then, even if my kids have not yet.

A large percentage of people in my area are of the same thoughts as you. I can’t see anything going back to normal for us until my DC are vaccinated. Just too big a risk for me. I sure hope you are right and I am wrong!

bisous
02-01-2021, 12:52 PM

I'm feeling this way too. I do see that there will be still be some risk but I think once community spread rates are down and using the distancing and masking principles that we're learning about I think things will "open up". I think I'll feel okay about distanced and masked schools or sports and that will make a difference. I will feel ok about visiting family members (staying at a hotel or AirBnB) and doing stuff outside. We will do park playdates. I will feel 100% better once older people and people with risk factors are fully vaccinated. To me it will feel different and almost "normal" again but I think this may depend on how much we were doing before (not as much as some--especially travel or eating out) and how much we'll be comfortable with (which might be significantly more than some families).

I'm anxious to watch how vaccines impact spread and how people continue to cooperate once vaccinated!

smilequeen
02-01-2021, 01:51 PM

I think there is a difference between what will change when I personally get the vaccine (not much, dentists are relatively high on the list here) and what will change when everyone has had their chance. Much more will change then, but at the rate we are going, that still feels like it will take more time than I’d like.

basil
02-01-2021, 02:19 PM

I agree with this. I don't think the vaccine is having that big of an effect on cases yet, but it will soon make an impact on hospitalizations and deaths.

DH and I have been vaccinated. Our kids won't for a while. But once my parents are both vaccinated (dad is but mom isn't) we'll go back to having family gatherings. Once community rates are better, I don't see myself waiting for the kids to get vaccinated to go out a bit more. I think that the risk with kids has always been that they would pass it to someone more vulnerable, so once those people are vaccinated, it will matter much less and become much less likely that my kids would get COVID. And even if they did, they would likely have a mild course.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but Emily Oster explains this better than I can https://emilyoster.substack.com/p/vaccines-kids-and-a-refresher-on

wendibird22
02-01-2021, 03:41 PM
Timely article on a handful of individuals who've contracted COVID after being vaccinated: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/31/us/covid-19-vaccine-coronavirus-positive.html

NCGrandma
02-01-2021, 06:38 PM
I think there is a difference between what will change when I personally get the vaccine (not much, dentists are relatively high on the list here) and what will change when everyone has had their chance. Much more will change then, but at the rate we are going, that still feels like it will take more time than I’d like.

Thanks, smilequeen—your comment highlights such an important distinction. And I think it’s one that many of my CCRC neighbors whom I mentioned earlier lose sight of. Yes, we’re all fortunate to be high on the list too, but fundamentally a lot more people need to have the same chance at vaccination before it’s time for major changes.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

mommy111
02-02-2021, 11:03 AM
This. Since kids can't get the vax yet I will still worry - especially now since the reports that a fully vaccinated congressman tested positive for Covid. I think it is still unknown whether fully vaccinated people can still be infected and spread the voris just without getting seriously ill themselves. I won't feel safe changing my behavior until we have a lot more data about these things, so not much will change here when we finally get ours. :(
:yeahthat: to both
My DD is currently sick and we have a covid scare (but probably just tonsillitis, yayy........) but thinking she had covid for a while scared the heck out of all of us