PDA

View Full Version : We have fake covid. (Updated: still fake covid aka sinus infection)

AngB
01-28-2021, 07:37 PM
Our state/school district/ health department made up a ludicrous "modified quarantine" policy so that kids in school that are around a positive kid don't have to quarantine as long as they are wearing masks, they can continue going to school only while on 'modified quarantine'.

So DS2 got "modified quarantined" back Jan.14. He was unhappy about it because he had to go to school- he doesn't like school- and couldn't play with his friend (who is in his class anyway but we honored the actual quarantine/rules and didn't let them play, which is the only place he ever goes besides school anyway.) (And he's also the kid that had his teacher change abruptly, rough month for DS2.)

Monday evening after being in school, (day 11!) he gets a runny nose, sneezing, sore throat. Silly me, following the rules, took him to urgent care to get covid tested. Both tests end up being negative. I let the school know all of this anyway (tests were pending anyway Tuesday so that was whatever, anyway. ) Now after spending about 100 hours on the phone, taking him our ped, sending them two doctor's notes saying he's negative and can return to school...he's "presumed positive" anyway because he had a cold (nevermind that he's completely fine now except for a slight runny nose and very occasional cough like once every 4 hours, and spent two hours outside sledding..) Now we all have colds because DS2 was sneezing everywhere but because he's presumed positive with his negative test but symptoms, we're all "presumed positive" because we have symptoms too. And there's no point in getting tested because close contact + symptoms make tests irrelevant. Also I had my second dose of the covid vax weeks ago so it's highly unlikely my EXACT same symptoms as DS2 are covid especially only 2 days later from DS2's symptoms. Plus the negative tests.

UPDATED: So last night I was super miserable with my congestion (headache/drainage/bleh, still no fever or labored breathing or cough or anything though.) Out of an abundance of caution since my mom plans to work with DS2 later this week, I went to get tested to make sure and sure enough, flu, strep and covid tests are all negative and I have the start of a sinus infection that is too early for antibiotics (which is fine, I wasn't really there for antibiotics.) So now we have THREE negative covid tests between us, me fully vaccinated as of Jan.14, two different doctor's notes saying DS2 doesn't have covid, and a sinus infection but all of this is "probable covid" :banghead:. I feel bad because DS1's classmates that he's been talking to on Fortnight said they have like 6 people in his class quarantined because of all that, much less DS2's class. (And they better hope they didn't catch DS2's cold/ "fake covid"!)

When they are letting kids go to freaking school while quarantined, who knows what the hell they pick up in the meantime (I mean yes masks help but not 100%) and we'll just call it covid because we pick and chose which rules to follow and make them up when it's convenient.
On the bright side, since we all have colds aka symptoms we only have to quarantine 10 days from our symptoms starting vs. the 10 days from ds2 +14. more.
Ugh, I am so over this crap.

PZMommy
01-28-2021, 09:01 PM
First, I hope your family feels better soon, and I’m glad it isn’t covid.

However, your school is crazy!!! First, not following the CDC quarantine guidelines is just stupid. But then to pick and choose how to apply those rules is even worse.

georgiegirl
01-28-2021, 09:23 PM
Our school follows those guidelines too. Those kids are “monitored” and not quarantined. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngB
01-28-2021, 09:39 PM
First, I hope your family feels better soon, and I’m glad it isn’t covid.

However, your school is crazy!!! First, not following the CDC quarantine guidelines is just stupid. But then to pick and choose how to apply those rules is even worse.

I'm torn between being kinda glad it's not covid and kinda wishing it really was so we could get it over with.

With all the crazy ass rules they come up with, I'd love to know if we have to quarantine in the future if they are "exposed" in school again. (Considering we've had 3 quarantines so far this year, that seems inevitable.)

hbridge
01-29-2021, 01:16 PM
That's crazy. He has a negative covid test, why can't he return to school????

DC has a recurring sore throat that started well over a year ago and appears every month or two. The child has been strep/covid tested 5 times since March. It's crazy since everyone knows what it is. ENT had to wait until the child was between symptoms since they won't allow people in the building with a sore throat. It's insane, but no one has ever presumed that it was covid + with a negative test result... School said as long as the test is negative and the temp is under 100degrees, the kid can attend... We wait until the child is feeling up to school, but that's it!

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is all just horrendous. We are all living through the horrendous!!!!

AngB
01-29-2021, 02:20 PM
That's crazy. He has a negative covid test, why can't he return to school????

DC has a recurring sore throat that started well over a year ago and appears every month or two. The child has been strep/covid tested 5 times since March. It's crazy since everyone knows what it is. ENT had to wait until the child was between symptoms since they won't allow people in the building with a sore throat. It's insane, but no one has ever presumed that it was covid + with a negative test result... School said as long as the test is negative and the temp is under 100degrees, the kid can attend... We wait until the child is feeling up to school, but that's it!

I am so sorry you are going through this. It is all just horrendous. We are all living through the horrendous!!!!

It's because he was "modified quarantined". Nevermind that he got a cold while modified quarantined BECAUSE THEY LET HIM CONTINUE GOING TO SCHOOL. If I had known what a nightmare this would be, I would have just kept him home while modified quarantined because any symptoms after being quarantine count as covid even if it's not. This is DS1's second time being quarantined and DS3's second time being quarantined and we haven't even "gotten it over with". Even if he had strep, they'd say he had symptoms of covid while quarantined and it's covid.

Now the school just sent out two emails to DS2 and DS1's classes telling them that a student in their classes "has tested positive" for covid even though his tests were freaking negative.
I have never been on the "covid is a hoax" bandwagon. When DS3 had a random virus/fever, I went out of my way to keep *EVERYONE* home until we knew it was just a random virus, even though we don't even have to do that according to the rules they made up. Since we have colds I wouldn't have sent them to school anyway but it's ridiculous they are going around pretending like a cold is covid so now literally anyone in their classes that also has colds will also have covid, even if they test negative it doesn't matter.

petesgirl
01-29-2021, 03:58 PM
My district does the modified quarantine thing also. But, they are honoring negative tests and don't count a cough as a covid symptom. I agree that it seems like a lot of the rules are arbitrary and they pick and choose what to actually enforce, depending on what is most convenient for working parents.

doberbrat
01-29-2021, 06:58 PM
Perhaps someone else tested positive?

infocrazy
01-29-2021, 09:25 PM
I'm torn between being kinda glad it's not covid and kinda wishing it really was so we could get it over with.

With all the crazy ass rules they come up with, I'd love to know if we have to quarantine in the future if they are "exposed" in school again. (Considering we've had 3 quarantines so far this year, that seems inevitable.)

FWIW...at our school we HAD Covid and after 90 days they will have to quarantine again if they are exposed.

AngB
01-29-2021, 10:59 PM
FWIW...at our school we HAD Covid and after 90 days they will have to quarantine again if they are exposed.

So since we had fake covid we probably don't have to quarantine for the next three months?! I guess silver lining. That brings us pretty close to the end of this hellish school year so I can live with that except by calling us covid positive now they are potentially missing a time that we should actually legitimately be quarantined again, but I have no trust of their judgment at all anymore anyway so whatever.

I think for our area, the health department seriously needs to just quit with their quarantine/ "modified quarantine" nonsense (they aren't contact tracing or quarantining anywhere except schools these days and almost no quarantine cases end up being positive so it's not really actually stopping the spread...the nurse said they've had only one other kid that has had symptoms during quarantine and they were actually positive, but they've quarantined hundreds of kids this year) and work on getting people vaccinated as quickly as possible considering our state has the worst rate of vaccinated % in the country, no mask mandate, restaurants and everything are literally a free for all pretending covid doesn't exist (I picked up a carry out order from Tx Roadhouse a few weeks ago and had to circle the parking lot three times to find a spot and I could see from outside people standing shoulder to shoulder crammed inside the waiting area with no masks waiting for tables. They are just totally missing the boat on what they should be being careful about, IMO. (And meanwhile on twitter they are posting pictures of school board members that have visited 4 different elementary schools in the district this week and there were pictures of them standing right next to students in class at multiple different schools/classes so....that's lovely.)

AngB
01-29-2021, 11:12 PM
Perhaps someone else tested positive?

I don't think so. They've had two positive cases at their school this week per the district dashboard AND the emails for their classes came like 2 minutes apart. But it's nice they are letting these two classes of parents think "someone tested positive' when in fact one tested negative and the other hasn't even been tested because it literally wouldn't even matter.

AngB
01-30-2021, 01:01 PM
UPDATED: So last night I was super miserable with my congestion (headache/drainage/bleh, still no fever or labored breathing or cough or anything though, all just typical head cold crap.) Out of an abundance of caution since my mom plans to work with DS2 later this week, I went to get tested to make sure and sure enough, flu, strep and covid tests are all negative and I have the start of a sinus infection that is too early for antibiotics (which is fine, I wasn't really there for antibiotics but good to know why it sucks.) So now we have THREE negative covid tests between us, me fully vaccinated as of Jan.14, two different doctor's notes saying DS2 doesn't have covid, and a sinus infection but all of this is "probable covid" . I feel bad because DS1's classmates that he's been talking to on Fortnight said they have like 6 people in his class quarantined because of all that, much less DS2's class. (And they better hope they didn't catch DS2's cold/ "fake covid" because they'll go through this exact same thing until the geniuses realize maybe they do need to trust negative covid tests especially during cold/flu season.)