PDA

View Full Version : zoom meetings on the bed

Globetrotter
02-02-2021, 01:50 PM
I know it’s not ideal, but I always do my zoom meetings while sitting on top of my bed with my pillow and a cushion behind my back. With a zoom background :) I put the laptop on another cushion on my lap, but if I move the whole thing jiggles around so it’s not extremely professional LOL The bedroom works best for me so I can have privacy.. one downside of an open floor plan. Dh uses the study.
If you do this, have you figured out a comfortable configuration? Is there a particular lap desk that works well?
Obviously I’m not doing this all the time but maybe up to 10 hours a week of zoom meetings.

Kestrel
02-02-2021, 02:11 PM
My mother uses a C-table type TV tray. So, it slides under the bed but rests on the floor and has a small tabletop to put the computer and mouse. Unless you actually kick it/bump it, it is stable.

Dayzy
02-02-2021, 03:30 PM
My mother uses a C-table type TV tray. So, it slides under the bed but rests on the floor and has a small tabletop to put the computer and mouse. Unless you actually kick it/bump it, it is stable.

My husband uses this type of table, like the ones in a hospital room.
https://www.amazon.com/Vaunn-Medical-Adjustable-Overbed-Hospital/dp/B00QMNTMXA/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=bed+tray+table&qid=1612294214&sr=8-8

Globetrotter
02-02-2021, 05:40 PM
see, this is why I asked you guys. I never even thought of this idea! wow.. brilliant

klwa
02-03-2021, 07:57 AM
I know you've gotten great answers, but my answer to this has been to just keep the camera turned off. :) Wanted to throw that out as well. (I'd say 90% of the meetings I'm in everyone keeps their cameras off.)

NCGrandma
02-03-2021, 10:10 AM
I know you've gotten great answers, but my answer to this has been to just keep the camera turned off. :) Wanted to throw that out as well. (I'd say 90% of the meetings I'm in everyone keeps their cameras off.)

I’m intrigued by the idea that everyone keeps their cameras off. How did this become the pattern for those groups? Sounds like those conference (phone) calls we used to have, with the added feature of an on-screen box with the person's name.

In the meetings I’m in, most everyone keeps their camera on, with occasional exceptions due to "technical difficulties" (usually someone hitting a wrong button...).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

khm
02-03-2021, 11:47 AM
I’m intrigued by the idea that everyone keeps their cameras off. How did this become the pattern for those groups? Sounds like those conference (phone) calls we used to have, with the added feature of an on-screen box with the person's name.

In the meetings I’m in, most everyone keeps their camera on, with occasional exceptions due to "technical difficulties" (usually someone hitting a wrong button...).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

We were very camera-on in the early days. Once the novelty wore off and the pandemic wore on (and on and on) the big meetings started having more and more people do cameras-off, I assume so they could do other work and just listen like they used to do with normal conference calls in the old phone days, ha.

Some people are totally always camera-on. But, for regular "conference call" type meetings most people just keep it off now. When we have "fun" zoom meetings, then people have them on more.

klwa
02-03-2021, 12:26 PM
We were very camera-on in the early days. Once the novelty wore off and the pandemic wore on (and on and on) the big meetings started having more and more people do cameras-off, I assume so they could do other work and just listen like they used to do with normal conference calls in the old phone days, ha.

Some people are totally always camera-on. But, for regular "conference call" type meetings most people just keep it off now. When we have "fun" zoom meetings, then people have them on more.

Yes. This is much like what we went through. The first month or two, everyone kept cameras on. Now most everyone keeps them off. My boss always has his on and actually gets made fun of in a lot of our smaller group meetings for having it on. His boss refuses to turn his on. I've seen his face twice in the 11 months we've been home. Once on Admin Professionals Day when we were meeting with the "ladies up front" and once about six months ago when someone teased him enough that he turned it on for a minute. Beyond that, it's very much a "this is a conference call" mindset with the added benefit of being able to share your screen with the group. I just got out of a meeting with some bigger dogs, who all kept their cameras on. It was rather an odd contrast between them and the rest of us.

klwa
02-03-2021, 12:26 PM
Sorry- double post

Dcclerk
02-03-2021, 02:37 PM
I know it’s not ideal, but I always do my zoom meetings while sitting on top of my bed with my pillow and a cushion behind my back. With a zoom background :) I put the laptop on another cushion on my lap, but if I move the whole thing jiggles around so it’s not extremely professional LOL The bedroom works best for me so I can have privacy.. one downside of an open floor plan. Dh uses the study.
If you do this, have you figured out a comfortable configuration? Is there a particular lap desk that works well?
Obviously I’m not doing this all the time but maybe up to 10 hours a week of zoom meetings.

I have an open floor plan, and hate it when my husband works in our office, because there is absolutely no sharing in that room! I've tried a ton of iterations to make it doable to work in my bedroom, and my favorite by far is this table:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3JL3H2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is collapsible so I can shove it in the corner unobtrusively when I don't need it, which was a big driver for me compared to many of the other sofa tables. My preference is to sit on the occasional chair in my bedroom with a bolster behind my back for back support. I can stay there for hours, although I still miss my Aeron chair by the end of the day. I can type normally, and it fits both my big laptop, space for a mouse, and my water bottle. It isn't as good as a full set-up with multiple monitors, etc. but it works a lot better for me than anything else I have done.

Dcclerk
02-03-2021, 02:37 PM

I have an open floor plan, and hate it when my husband works in our office, because there is absolutely no sharing in that room! I've tried a ton of iterations to make it doable to work in my bedroom, and my favorite by far is this table:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A3JL3H2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It is collapsible so I can shove it in the corner unobtrusively when I don't need it, which was a big driver for me compared to many of the other sofa tables. My preference is to sit on the occasional chair in my bedroom with a bolster behind my back for back support. I can stay there for hours, although I still miss my Aeron chair by the end of the day. I can type normally, and it fits both my big laptop, space for a mouse, and my water bottle. It isn't as good as a full set-up with multiple monitors, etc. but it works a lot better for me than anything else I have done.

DualvansMommy
02-04-2021, 03:42 AM
I think you just do what needs must. The table cover was ideal for me, like the link upthread here. I had to keep my foot off bearing weight for 6.5 weeks, and sitting in my recliner worked best. Key for me was keeping my feet elevated.

As for the camera on/off, it’s very much dependent on work culture I think. My employer is a small non profit with 25 employees, and our executive director likes to have the camera on for our weekly staff meetings. Other meetings, I need to have my camera on if I’m leading as I sign ASL, so obviously it’s visual so camera is necessary in my situation. But as this pandemic wore on, more of us would turn ours off for some period so we could work on other stuff, especially on longer zoom meetings like 90 mins or 2 hours long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChicagoNDMom
02-04-2021, 08:03 AM
I can’t imagine taking work calls from bed. Not just how it would appear on camera, but for you to be in “work mode” while in your bed. I would do anything/everything you could to have a set-up somewhere in the house that does not involve your bed.

DualvansMommy
02-04-2021, 12:19 PM
I think you just do what needs must. The table cover was ideal for me, like the link upthread here. I had to keep my foot off bearing weight for 6.5 weeks, and sitting in my recliner worked best. Key for me was keeping my feet elevated.

As for the camera on/off, it’s very much dependent on work culture I think. My employer is a small non profit with 25 employees, and our executive director likes to have the camera on for our weekly staff meetings. Other meetings, I need to have my camera on if I’m leading as I sign ASL, so obviously it’s visual so camera is necessary in my situation. But as this pandemic wore on, more of us would turn ours off for some period so we could work on other stuff, especially on longer zoom meetings like 90 mins or 2 hours long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dhano923
02-05-2021, 12:57 AM
I started out WFH at the formal dining table, but when I realized this was not just for a few weeks, I set up shop in our guest bedroom. I moved my DD's Ikea spare desk that she used to use for her crafts (just legs and a top) in there, and brought my office chair home from work. I use virtual backgrounds for all my Zoom and Webex calls so no one can see the guest bed behind me. I've always thought it weird seeing people on camera sitting on their bed, or with their bed in the background. It's a bit too intimate. Many of my coworkers agree (we had a poll on it in a meeting once).

At my work, cameras are expected to be on for department/division meetings where there are not too many people, and can be off for larger multi-division/organizational meetings.

citymama
02-10-2021, 03:25 AM
I do this a lot as well and keep the camera off or use a virtual background. It's not ideal but it works.