PDA

View Full Version : Medical professionals, ISO more comfortable slip on shoes that are still supportive

jerseygirl07067
02-03-2021, 09:59 AM
I have always worn sneakers, but want to change to a slip on that I can wipe down easily. I currently do home visits. I have tried Danskos and have found them to be very uncomfortable and they feel too loose on me. My foot does tend to be a bit narrower but I figured there were other comparable brands out there. I don't like Crocs as they are a bit to wide on me. I'd really like to find a brand with good foot support that aren't rock hard and have some nice cushioning. Any goo suggestions?

twowhat?
02-03-2021, 10:23 AM
Rothy's provides a discount for medical professionals on select shoes. They have a style called "Sneaker" that is actually a slip on. I just bought a pair, and I have a wider foot and it's just a touch too narrow for me but might be perfect for you. It's a "stiffer" shoe than their other options (Flats, Points, Loafers) because of the thicker sole but the upper part of the shoe is still soft. It's not as soft/floppy as Allbirds, it has more structure. If you have a narrower foot and/or if you size up, there's room to add or swap in an insole of your choice which can make it REALLY comfy. And, it's washable...you just need to remove the midsole (a separate non-washable "half" piece that goes under the insole and adds heel support) and then wash the shoe and the insole on cold water, air dry. Style-wise, because they're a bit more structured, they look a little dressier than the Allbirds version of a slip-on.

https://rothys.com/collections/discount-deals-program

Sizing is the one super tricky thing with Rothys - different styles fit differently and even within the same style, different colors and patterns tend to fit differently because of differences in the yarn or the knit pattern. You can join the Rothy's Addicts group on FB, there are real experts there who can totally tell you what size you should try based on your street size and which Rothy's you're considering (style and color).

If you like something that can be dressed up even more, my personal favorite is the Loafer. It is SO comfy and can be both casual and dressy depending in the color/pattern. The sole is not as thick but again, if you size up you have room to add in a cushy insole of your choice. I'm able to walk miles in Loafers without socks. The thinner sole means that it's more flexible, and there's more of the signature Rothy's knit surrounding more of your foot which is what I think makes it so comfy.

My favorite insoles ever are Allbirds insoles. They are medium thick, VERY soft, and VERY cushy. Washable, and I think Allbirds sells them separately.

eta: I wouldn't say you can wipe down Rothy's because of the knit. However, they are made from recycled plastic so you can spray them with 70% isopropyl alcohol (just put the alcohol in a small spray mister, like you'd use for eyeglasses cleaner) and it would be easy to give them a spray after each visit and since they're plastic, they won't absorb the alcohol so the alcohol would sit just long enough to sanitize. And then of course you can wash them. :)

basil
02-03-2021, 10:54 AM
I have the same problem w Danskos feeling too loose, but I wear them with thick hiking/running socks and they work better. I have a pair in their narrow width, and they fit better with thinner socks but are too tight across the instep in thicker ones.

jbbhb
02-03-2021, 12:01 PM
These were made by nurses for nurses, they have somewhat of a cult following so if they aren’t in stock check again in another few days. They are wipable with any commercial disinfectant as long as it doesn’t contain bleach. https://wearebala.com

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jerseygirl07067
02-03-2021, 12:04 PM
I have the same problem w Danskos feeling too loose, but I wear them with thick hiking/running socks and they work better. I have a pair in their narrow width, and they fit better with thinner socks but are too tight across the instep in thicker ones.

I did see that they have narrows, I will have to try those. Snce I live in Florida the thicker socks would probably feel somewhat cumbersome in our heat.

One of friends suggested Nursemates I'm going to go check those out too.

lizzywednesday
02-03-2021, 12:27 PM

One of friends suggested Nursemates I'm going to go check those out too.

I was signing in to suggest NurseMates! My mom wore them starting in nursing school through about a decade of floor-nursing and a stint of per diem visiting nurse service before she was promoted to a nursing supervisor position.

Melaine
02-03-2021, 05:39 PM
I think Vionics have narrows in most styles, that would be my recommendation.