PDA

View Full Version : Backpack for 6th grade dd with laptop sleeve

diamond
02-04-2021, 10:03 AM
Dd has to take a laptop to and fro from home. Right now she's using lands end backpack but it has no padding or protection for the laptop whatsoever.... Looking for an big backpack for a middle school age kid with the laptop protection sleeve. It would be awesome if it's on sale too

doberbrat
02-04-2021, 11:11 AM
I have a samsonite that is great. DDs have High Sierra from BJs. They've been durable as well. I'd go to Marshalls/TJMaxx and see what they have or Costco/BJs

Honestly, the important thing is to teach them not to throw their backpacks.

ang79
02-04-2021, 11:27 AM
I second checking TJ Maxx/Marshalls. DD2 has a High Sierra and DD1 has a Trans by Jansport, both much cheaper at Marshalls than other stores. Our district has padded cases for all the chromebooks, but DD1 still slipped her padded case into her backpack last year if she had room, instead of carrying it separately by the strap. They use the Bump Armour Stay in Cases.

AnnieW625
02-04-2021, 11:38 AM
Trans by Jansport. D1 had one we bought at Target years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
02-04-2021, 02:20 PM
DS uses this one (https://www.landsend.com/products/kids-techpack-extra-large-backpack/id_337440?attributes=8042,43321,43377) from Lands End and likes it.

DD1 has an older classmate that actually had a laptop sleeve from before they switched to making the techpacks.

And I bought a simple laptop sleeve (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YB5NYJ3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for DD2 rather than purchase a new backpack for this year.

twowhat?
02-04-2021, 02:26 PM
We have these:

https://www.amazon.com/JanSport-Classic-Mainstream-Student-Backpack/dp/B084ZWM939/ref=sr_1_3?crid=19O4BMU5IJVZY&dchild=1&keywords=jansport%2Bbig%2Bstudent%2Bbackpack&qid=1612463055&sprefix=jansport%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-3&th=1

They're great. Big, lightweight, and durable. I like that there's a water bottle pocket on the outside (less likely for leaks to damage whatever is inside) AND that it's not all mesh (holds up better to being dragged over concrete).

I machine ours a couple of times a year and they come out like new.

eta: I just looked at ours and even though there is a laptop sleeve, it's only padded on the outside (the back of the backpack). On Amazon, the photos of the Navy backpack show the sleeve the best. My kids are pretty careful with electronics and their school iPads have a pretty heavy duty case on them so it hasn't ever been a concern...but if you like this backpack and your DD isn't gentle on her electronics you may want to consider another option with a more highly padded sleeve, or getting a separate simple padded sleeve to slide the laptop into before it goes into the backpack.

liz
02-04-2021, 08:26 PM
We use the Super Deluxe backpack from LLBean. It holds up really well. Not on sale right now though.

Liziz
02-04-2021, 09:48 PM
When I was at my local Target this morning, their clearance section had a few Trans by Jansport marked down -- most (all?) from that brand I've seen have a laptop sleeve.

Another option if her current bag is still working (minus the laptop protection of course) is to just get a laptop sleeve separate from the backpack.

Liziz
02-04-2021, 09:48 PM
When I was at my local Target this morning, their clearance section had a few Trans by Jansport marked down -- most (all?) from that brand I've seen have a laptop sleeve.

Another option if her current bag is still working (minus the laptop protection of course) is to just get a laptop sleeve separate from the backpack.

hellokitty
02-05-2021, 10:54 AM
Most backpacks meant for teen+ have them now. Just make sure it is big enough, if you have a laptop bigger than 14", it can be tricky, but if it is just a chromebook size, it is usually pretty easy. My kids all have them, North Face, REI and my youngest has a brand I can't recall (and went to school, so I can't see his bag).

smilequeen
02-05-2021, 11:23 AM
Our middle school insists that the boys have separate laptop bags for their laptops. It may be partially because it's an all boys school, but teens do tend to throw their backpacks down a lot and none of them are really *that* protective of the laptop when also fully loaded with books. It's also nicer right now because they are on a rotating block schedule so my boys have two backpacks for the different days and my middle would definitely forget to move his laptop. I had to add colored tape for the days on his backpacks so he would bring the right one (days are labeled red or white).

They don't have the same rule for the HS kids though.

Mine have Under Armor backpacks with sleeves, but my 8th grader uses one of these for his laptop
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R5DQG30/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

smilequeen
02-05-2021, 11:24 AM
double post

Snow mom
02-05-2021, 04:08 PM
I would honestly just buy a thin case for the laptop and not worry about the protection provided by the backpack. I bought these for my kids chromebooks this year (my 2nd grader has to carry it to and from school daily--talk about a disaster waiting to happen!) and have been really happy with them: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DNLVXR6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Of course there are about a million different options.