PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Diamox for ski trip to CO?

jerseygirl07067
02-04-2021, 10:16 AM
We will be traveling from FL to CO to go skiing. Unfortunately, due to scheduling issues we will not be spending time in Denver first to acclimate. We land in Denver early, and then hope to get up to where we are staying to get our rentals, and relax for the rest of the day. We will then be skiing the next day.

I've been to CO skiing before and haven't experienced much more than a bit of shortness of breath and a headache on day 1. But that was 20 years ago. We did all go to Park City 5 years ago with no issue, but our overall altitute was a bit lower, the highest I believe was 10,000.

I realize hydration is the most important, and we plan to drink at least 3L each but I was wondering if we should have some Diamox on hand, or start taking it 1-2 days before we leave. Is it safe for kids? I've read that they can be just as susceptible to altitude sickness as adults. I did have a friend who got significant altitude sickness on my trip 20 years ago, and she had to go to the ER, and stay on 02 until we descended back to Denver. Her 02 sats had actually dropped to 72%.

What are your thoughts on this? Anyone used it before? I was going to talk to our Dr. about it.

marinkitty
02-04-2021, 11:18 AM
We have a place in the mountains and travel back and forth from Chicago, so sea level. Our house it at 7,700 feet. I feel like taking Diamox is totally unnecessary unless you are going to actually be sleeping over 8,000 feet or have a history of severe altitude sickness. Diamox has side effects that are unpleasant, so you are better off just hydrating and not pushing too hard or skiing at super high altitude your first day on the slopes. Super hydrate for two days before traveling too. Take some liquid IV or other hydration powder with you if you want. At most we usually have one restless night and that's usually when we don't drink enough water. We never acclimate between landing and arriving at our house and we often ski or hike at altitude the next day, but just don't head to say 12,000 feet and stay there for hours.

smilequeen
02-04-2021, 11:30 AM
I agree that unless you have a history of altitude sickness, that would not be worth it. Honestly, we always fly straight into Eagle. We rest and hydrate on arrival day and then ski the next day. Hydration has always been enough.

MSWR0319
02-04-2021, 11:44 AM
We have a place in the mountains and travel back and forth from Chicago, so sea level. Our house it at 7,700 feet. I feel like taking Diamox is totally unnecessary unless you are going to actually be sleeping over 8,000 feet or have a history of severe altitude sickness. Diamox has side effects that are unpleasant, so you are better off just hydrating and not pushing too hard or skiing at super high altitude your first day on the slopes. Super hydrate for two days before traveling too. Take some liquid IV or other hydration powder with you if you want. At most we usually have one restless night and that's usually when we don't drink enough water. We never acclimate between landing and arriving at our house and we often ski or hike at altitude the next day, but just don't head to say 12,000 feet and stay there for hours.

Yes to the liquid IV!! DS just got diagnosed with mild POTS and that stuff is amazing. He didn't even know he wasn't feeling great until we put one of them in his morning water bottle!