PDA

View Full Version : Superbowl Food?

bisous
02-05-2021, 05:45 PM
We have never watched "the big game" and don't plan to start, lol, let alone invite people to our house in the middle of the pandemic.... But I thought my kids would enjoy a feast Superbowl style? Do you have any fun, easy recommendations? Gotta add sparkle to the year. We're getting awfully tired of the whole routine right now!

jgenie
02-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Nachos or tatchos (tater tot nachos)
Cheese dip and chips
Brownies
Cookies
Sub sandwiches
Pulled pork
Ribs
BBQ
Jello
Guacamole

carolinacool
02-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Buffalo chicken dip (I used the Frank's Red Hot recipe but use blue cheese instead of ranch dressing).
Crockpot meatballs
Wings! Although I find cooking them to be a pain. It's easier to take out.

And you should watch the game. I think this will be a fun one.

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:08 PM
Buffalo chicken dip (I used the Frank's Red Hot recipe but use blue cheese instead of ranch dressing).
Crockpot meatballs
Wings! Although I find cooking them to be a pain. It's easier to take out.

And you should watch the game. I think this will be a fun one.

I'm thrilled that many people get a chance to watch a live game. I don't think I'll be able to watch it--it is on cable?

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:08 PM
These are good! Many of these are my DH's favorite foods and I don't make them often! I bet the kids will love them. :)

carolinacool
02-05-2021, 06:11 PM
I'm thrilled that many people get a chance to watch a live game. I don't think I'll be able to watch it--it is on cable?

No, it's on regular CBS. I think kickoff is at 3:30 your time.

basil
02-05-2021, 06:12 PM
My kids love nachos (tortilla chips with shredded cheese melted in the microwave)! So I'll probably just do that and DH and I can have a salad or something.

One year before I was vegetarian I made these: https://www.skinnytaste.com/buffalo-chicken-meatballs/ No one else in my house likes buffalo flavor, but these were good and healthy-ish! Much more so than wings (which I never liked anyway).

SnuggleBuggles
02-05-2021, 06:12 PM
I'm going with chili and homemade pepperoni rolls.

You should try and watch. The commercials are always fun. And this is a good game match up this year.

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:16 PM
No, it's on regular CBS. I think kickoff is at 3:30 your time.

Oh. We can't watch that without cable here! Antennas don't work!

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:18 PM
I Just remembered there is a charcuterie board shaped like a football in that Beautiful Boards book recommended on here last Christmas. My kids love those...maybe I'll try that as it has a lot of veggies!

carolinacool
02-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Oh. We can't watch that without cable here! Antennas don't work!

Oh, no. I can't remember what your entertainment setup is (if you've even mentioned it. lol). But it looks like you can stream it for free in a number of ways.
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/how-to-watch-super-bowl-2021-live-stream-online-without-cable-tv-channel/

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Oh, no. I can't remember what your entertainment setup is (if you've even mentioned it. lol). But it looks like you can stream it for free in a number of ways.
https://sports.nbcsports.com/2021/02/05/how-to-watch-super-bowl-2021-live-stream-online-without-cable-tv-channel/

Thanks! I'll check it out!

gymnbomb
02-05-2021, 06:30 PM
We do an assortment of appetizers like mozzarella sticks, wings, potato skins, jalapeño poppers, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo
02-05-2021, 06:47 PM
Even if you and the kids aren't into the football game, the commercials are always fun. You can play board games while the game is on and then take a break to watch commercials and the halftime show.
I'm planning to make chili and biscuits, snack on nachos, nut mix, hummus... Whatever we feel like.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mmsmom
02-05-2021, 08:01 PM
Wings are really easy in an air fryer... TJ’s has bags of plain frozen wings. You can put in air fryer frozen, cook until crispy ((15-20 min) then toss in your preferred sauce. They also have already flavored Buffalo wings that you can also cook in air fryer.

StantonHyde
02-05-2021, 11:38 PM
Superbowl food is NOT healthy nor should it be!!! This is your families chance to gorge on "treat food" as we put it in my house :cheerleader1:

mikala
02-05-2021, 11:51 PM
Buffalo chicken dip and hoagie dip are annual faves here. I like the idea of the football charcuterie too.

lisa928
02-06-2021, 08:25 AM
I agree it is a great time for an all appetizer dinner. If you aren't that into the football aspect there are games that would make the game more interactive.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/774346123/super-bowl-55-bingo-cards-2021-30-cards

https://www.livinglocurto.com/free-printable-football-squares-pool-poster/
Let everyone in house pick equal number of squares and have prizes if they will (could be a say $5 of maybe "no chores for the day" coupon).

https://www.playpartyplan.com/super-bowl-guessing-game/

jawilli4
02-06-2021, 10:01 AM
We go for the gluttony here, too! Totally fun and great not to feel guilty for a meal.

We love this copycat of Outback's Cheese Fries. It's super yummy, easy, and fun. I don't make my own fries and instead use frozen then omit the salt in the spice blend. I also increase the bacon to two pieces. I put the whole tray on our table instead of serving from the kitchen. It adds another layer of enjoyment as it becomes very social to dive into the platter together.

Copycat Outback Aussie Cheese Fries (https://www.food.com/recipe/copycat-outback-aussie-cheese-fries-446848)

AUSSIE CHIPS

2 medium russet potatoes
6 cups vegetable oil (to 8) or 6 cups shortening (to 8)

SEASONING

1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon ground thyme

AUSSIE CHEESE FRIES

Cloned Aussie chips, 1 plate (from above recipe)
1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 slice bacon, cooked

For the Aussie Chips: Preheat oil to 375 degrees in a deep fryer.

Cut potatoes into french fry slices using a vegetable slicer or mandolin. It’s important to use a gadget for the slicing so that the fries will all be the same thickness, and will cook evenly. Submerge all of the sliced potatoes in a large bowl fill with cold water for 30 minutes.

Combine all of the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Remove potato slices from the water and onto a clean towel. Blot dry.

Fry potato slices for 8 to 12 minutes in hot oil until light brown. Drain fries on a rack or paper towels and sprinkle with some of the seasoning. Pile the fries on a plate and serve with ranch dressing on the side, if desired.

For the Aussie Cheese Fries: Prepare the clone for the Aussie Chips and arrange the seasoned fries on an oven-safe plate. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the cheeses together and sprinkle the blend over the fries. Crumble the bacon and sprinkle it over the cheese. Bake the plate for 4 to 5 minutes in the hot oven, until cheese is melted. Serve with ranch dressing on the side.

Copycat Ranch Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp MSG (Accent brand is good)
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp onion powder
pinch dried thyme

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Cover and chill for several hours before using.

lizzywednesday
02-06-2021, 03:16 PM
I want to make these: https://food52.com/recipes/82455-korean-wing-style-cauliflower-creamy-ginger-sesame-dip

I don't think it's going to happen for tomorrow, mostly due to sourcing ingredients and grocery pickup time slots, but maybe we'll be able to do it for my birthday.

basil
02-06-2021, 03:18 PM
I want to make these: https://food52.com/recipes/82455-korean-wing-style-cauliflower-creamy-ginger-sesame-dip

I don't think it's going to happen for tomorrow, mostly due to sourcing ingredients and grocery pickup time slots, but maybe we'll be able to do it for my birthday.

That looks so good! I may do these if I can get rice flour :)

smilequeen
02-06-2021, 03:55 PM
It’s unhealthy bar style aps with my boys. Chips, nachos, chicken wings, etc. :)

You could also stream the puppy bowl. My 10 year old is looking most forward to that

My one son who is most into watching football is unfortunately recovering from a concussion, so I, not sure how enjoyable it will be this year for him :(

dhano923
02-06-2021, 06:27 PM
DH is a big football fan, I'm ok with it, and the kids are about the food and the commercials. In past years, we've gone to Superbowl parties, or had a few people over, but not this year.

Superbowl is all about finger foods/snacky foods for us, so I'm making:
Wings 3 ways - buffalo, Hawaiian, and masala
Spinach dip with veggies for dipping
Guacamole and fresh salsa with chips
Tortilla pizzas (basically pizzas using flour tortillas as the crust)

mom2binsd
02-06-2021, 06:34 PM
I'm fascinated that you've never watched the Superbowl! If you can watch it, it's fun to do Superbowl squares, the prizes could be special treat (normally it's money), I once won 250 dollars. Yes, to all the fun appetizers!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
02-06-2021, 08:01 PM
I always make a bean and cheese dip (warm from the oven), guacamole, salsa, and chips

DH will probably order wings.

I’m going to try to make vegetarian potato skins in the air fryer

carolinamama
02-06-2021, 11:04 PM
Superbowl is a fun tradition, usually with friends (but not this year). If you can figure out how to watch it, your kids may enjoy both the game and the commercials.

We usually do a spread of chips, dips, wings, chili, and desserts. Both my boys have soccer games, one out of town, so I've ordered pulled pork and sides. DH may end up ordering wings. We definitely use it as an excuse to eat junk food!