PDA

View Full Version : The latest in baby gifts

mommylamb
02-05-2021, 06:04 PM
Hi all- I used to be a regular poster here but haven’t been in for a very long time. I’m back to see what the latest hot baby gifts are. My kids are 13 and nearly 9, so it has been a long long time since I’ve thought about baby stuff. My cousin is pregnant and I’m not jazzed about the stuff on her wishlist. It’s her first and I just get the idea that she doesn’t know what she really needs yet. Would love advice from people who are closer to the new mommy/baby stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisous
02-05-2021, 06:19 PM
Hi mommylamb! I am glad you posted so I can say "hi" but also because I need to buy a baby gift and I'm totally out of the loop!

PunkyBoo
02-05-2021, 06:49 PM
Hi mommylamb! Welcome back! My friend just had a baby TODAY so I'm also trying to think what to send her way! Especially since this is her 2nd girl, less than 2 years apart.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

mmsmom
02-05-2021, 07:58 PM
I have no idea about the latest as I am far out from that as well but I often send a big bin of our favorite books and it is always well received.

Liziz
02-05-2021, 08:56 PM
So I have no good recommendations on baby gear either -- this board has very few new moms on it now! But I just had to say "hi" as it made me smile to see your name. I definitely remember you from around when I joined!

petesgirl
02-05-2021, 09:03 PM
I'm 3 yrs out myself and even then we never had the latest and greatest gear, but I think there are some classics you can't go wrong with-- diapers and wipes obviously, a good quality pack n play, Dr Brown's bottles, books that have different textures for babies, or the Leslie Patricelli and Sandra Boynton board books are cute, Aden + Anaias swaddle blankets and burp clothes, sleep sacks, good first aid kit with a reliable thermometer.

AngB
02-05-2021, 09:12 PM
Hi all- I used to be a regular poster here but haven’t been in for a very long time. I’m back to see what the latest hot baby gifts are. My kids are 13 and nearly 9, so it has been a long long time since I’ve thought about baby stuff. My cousin is pregnant and I’m not jazzed about the stuff on her wishlist. It’s her first and I just get the idea that she doesn’t know what she really needs yet. Would love advice from people who are closer to the new mommy/baby stuff.

Owlet baby monitor, mamaroo swing, haaka for collecting milk from other boob when nursing (I seriously built an entire freezer stash with that thing for baby 4), most insurances cover pumps these days and for most people spectra is the best...

AnnieW625
02-05-2021, 09:16 PM
The Fisher Rock N Play was one of the things I wish I would’ve had with DD2.

The Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Chair is another favorite go to.

Baby clothes in 9-12 months. Everyone always gets the 0-6 months stuff. Longsleeve onesies are good almost all year round.

Miracle Blanket Swaddle (this was a BBB recommendation)

Newborn diapers with a gift receipt. It sounds crazy but when we brought both of our girls home and they were 6.5lbs they didn’t fit into size 1 diapers. I had to go out within a day of being home when we ran out of the newborn diapers from the hospital. Dd1 was in newborn diapers for two months.

Aden and Anais swaddles; the originals that come in 4 pack (I got mine at Amazon).

Primo Euro bath tub

Mam pacifiers

White noise machine....this was a god send with DD2.

The Baby Bargains Book

American Pediatric Association Guide to the First 5 Years.

Nursing cover

A foldable changing pad for the back of the car

georgiegirl
02-05-2021, 09:17 PM
Laughing that you are asking us this question. Way more of us have teenagers than toddlers. [emoji23] I have a good friend who had a baby a year ago and I still need to get her a present. I’m totally out of the loop. The best present I can think of for a young kid is “balance bike.” [emoji2368] obviously not for a baby though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AngB
02-05-2021, 09:26 PM
The Fisher Rock N Play was one of the things I wish I would’ve had with DD2.

The Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster Chair is another favorite go to.

Baby clothes in 9-12 months. Everyone always gets the 0-6 months stuff. Longsleeve onesies are good almost all year round.

Miracle Blanket Swaddle (this was a BBB recommendation)

Newborn diapers with a gift receipt. It sounds crazy but when we brought both of our girls home and they were 6.5lbs they didn’t fit into size 1 diapers. I had to go out within a day of being home when we ran out of the newborn diapers from the hospital. Dd1 was in newborn diapers for two months.

Aden and Anais swaddles; the originals that come in 4 pack (I got mine at Amazon).

Primo Euro bath tub

Mam pacifiers

White noise machine....this was a god send with DD2.

The Baby Bargains Book

I agree with rock n plays but they are off the market now. Poor new moms. I kept mine and will never ever part with it. (Even just to keep baby off the floor away from dogs for a few minutes here and there.)

Peaches Keane
02-05-2021, 10:10 PM
https://magneticme.com/collections/gowns

Gowns with magnetic closures make nighttime diaper changes faster.

lkarp
02-05-2021, 10:29 PM
I was a regular when my 15, 13, and 10 year olds were little. We now have a 2 year old as well and loved some of the new feeding things that have come out. I’m a big fan of Bapron bibs and ezpz feeding mats — they suction to the table. I honestly prefer getting things for the later stages because we received too much newborn stuff. I’ve gifted the Feeding Littles course and that was well received. If your budget allows a stokke Tripp Trap is a great gift. We also love the baby signing time videos.

hwin708
02-05-2021, 10:37 PM
Oh gosh, I have been to so many zoom baby showers lately. Whole different vibe!

What's in these days? Hmmm. The NoseFrida is on every list. The whole Frida brand, they make baby care gift sets of the basic now. OXO wipes dispensers. WubaNubs. Aden and Anais blankets and burpy bibs. Hatch light/sound machine. Zipper pajamas exclusively. Silicone changing pads. Video monitors with phone apps. Baby Brezza. Boppy and Boppy newborn lounger. Mamaroo. Bjorn bouncer. The insane Snoo. Merlin's Magic Sleep suit. The Halo sleep sack with velcro around the arms. Ikea highchair. I didn't see many Sophie giraffes, but a lot of the banana toothbrush teethers. Zutano booties.

Peaches Keane
02-05-2021, 11:11 PM
Pacifier clip (https://www.chewbeads.com/fun-pacifier-clips-s/95.htm)

Backpack leash (https://www.skiphop.com/skiphop-zoo-collection/accessories-and-more/on-the-go?selectedRefId=broadcategorymulti) with a small carabiner clip to attach to the handle of the leash to the handle of the backpack so it doesn’t drag on the ground (can also clip a kid to a belt loop, etc.). This was the one item I was most asked about. It’s how my two under two survived out in public with just me to handle them.

gamma
02-05-2021, 11:38 PM
This is my go to baby gift now that the Rock & Play is off the market. My DIL bought this and loved how the baby wasn’t staring at the ceiling, but was able to watch her cook. It folds flat so it’s portable . Limited-time deal: Fisher-Price Sit-Me-Up Floor Seat with Tray [Amazon Exclusive] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072LNTRGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dlT1_QBA57JFQQA5JWGRWS 37H?psc=1

roobee
02-06-2021, 01:35 AM
This vegan leather changing mat was recommended on another board I visit. https://gathre.com/products/micro-plus

My recommendation for baby gifts is always a personalized Stephen Joseph backpack from Etsy and some board books.

I got some adorable bamboo plates, bowls and cups from Target for my 1 year old niece. Those might be cute for a new baby if they were paired with the boon grass drying mat and some other feeding stuff. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/cee2892b1de7ed1f3f78529929b803dc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/3275228f45347cf08d3fcfb02c8aa1f2.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210206/dac79b81f84595514aa7f0accd6f3744.jpg

Sent from my LML713DL using Tapatalk

mommylamb
02-06-2021, 06:27 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions and to those of you just saying hello.

I also loved the rock and play (though would never have remembered the name on my own!). Too bad those are gone.

Do people still use mobys? I loved baby wearing with both of mine and had a koby with my second and it was my favorite. Not sure if my cousin will be scared away by how you have to learn to wrap it though.

Funny that so many more people have older kids here now instead of babies. I joined when my 13 year old was an infant after reading the Baby Bargains book. About 6 years ago I took a new, much more demanding job and my husband became a SAHD, which makes it possible for me to work the hours and do the travel I have to do (back when I was traveling anyway! Now I work from home.) so I’m not able to be here like before.

jgenie
02-06-2021, 08:21 PM
Hi Mommylanb! It’s nice to see you!! Glad to hear you are well!

AnnieW625
02-06-2021, 08:29 PM
Thought of something else as my sister in law loves her Super Play Yard for my nephew who is 8 months old.

https://www.target.com/p/toddleroo-by-north-states-superyard-colorplay-6-panel-freestanding-gate/-/A-13971309?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012735142&CPNG=PLA_Baby%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Baby_Low%2BMargin&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=m&location=9031487&targetid=pla-925707960125&ds_rl=1242884&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmfmABhCHARIsACwPRABCj1ESksJiOduzcYAJ 5c3FdM6ASWjmUmkmhAw3i_KZh5YvXq70b7UaArVNEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

gymnbomb
02-06-2021, 09:33 PM
Mobys are still around. I had a k’tan with my second that ends up being the same kind of carry for a newborn as a moby but is super easy to use and not as intimidating for people who haven’t wrapped before.

carolinamama
02-06-2021, 11:13 PM
No idea on baby gifts but I wanted to say hi! It's always fun to see people pop in that I remember. Glad you all are doing well.

Liziz
02-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Mobys are still around. I had a k’tan with my second that ends up being the same kind of carry for a newborn as a moby but is super easy to use and not as intimidating for people who haven’t wrapped before.

They're still around, but I would say I see *tons* more new moms using Tulas and Ergos and those SSCs than I do any of the wraps. I do think many people get intimidated by them. I had a Moby and loved it too, but almost exclusively used a Tula with my second, once she was a little bigger.

gymnbomb
02-07-2021, 11:17 AM
They're still around, but I would say I see *tons* more new moms using Tulas and Ergos and those SSCs than I do any of the wraps. I do think many people get intimidated by them. I had a Moby and loved it too, but almost exclusively used a Tula with my second, once she was a little bigger.

I had an Ergo with my first and the Ergo, a K'tan, and a Tula with my second. The K'tan was my favorite for the first few months, and the Tula was my favorite when she grew into it but she was a slow grower and took forever to fit into it well. If I were buying today for a newborn I'd get a Tula Free to Grow which didn't exist when my kids were born.

mom2binsd
02-07-2021, 05:16 PM
I think that a wrap is something to talk about with the mom first though. Of the new moms I know, about 5 recently, none wanted anything to do with baby wearing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk