PDA

View Full Version : RV rental trip?

PunkyBoo
02-06-2021, 07:22 PM
Have you rented an RV and taken a trip? Please tell me about it! I'm considering doing that for a trip either sitting break or summer. It would be the 4 of us, for about a week to 10 days. We are used to road trips, but I'd like to avoid hotel/motels and dining in restaurants due to covid. We'd be doing a little sightseeing (possibly including a day exploring Yosemite and seeing the capital in Sacramento) and looking at some college campuses throughout California (even though we know they will be mostly empty and tours might not be available). Any advice, tips, resources, websites...? DS1 thinks it sounds crazy/awful, but I think it might be ok since we're used to road trips.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
02-06-2021, 07:28 PM
I just proposed this to DH yesterday to visit college campuses out in Colorado. We have never rented an Rv but I’d be open to it if I could see them in advance and they looked clean. We had a pull-behind camper but gave it to a homeless family whose house burned down in Paradise, California a couple years ago and were having trouble rebuilding. We gave it to them last fall.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2021, 07:31 PM
I have friends that have with mixed feedback. Unless you tow a car, you’ll have trouble in cities and the winding roads around Yosemite. Camping reservations are a must and fill up fast. Maybe make some ones now that you can cancel without penalty later.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

nfceagles
02-06-2021, 07:52 PM
We did it back in 2017 I think. We rented in SLC and drove up thru Idaho, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Jackson Hole. My family loved it. (kids were about 12 and 9) We were very happy with the rental company but they were just out of SLC so that wouldn’t help you. We did rent a car during part of it so we could leave the RV at the campground and drive around Yellowstone. I highly recommend that but it adds to the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
02-06-2021, 08:40 PM
Yosemite usually fills up a year in advance for camp site reservations. Do you have the option to rent a pop up camper or towable camper with your cars? That would be better imho than renting a whole RV otherwise I agree that you might need to bring a tow car for around town driving. You can easily drive a smaller RV in Yosemite as they have smaller busses in the valley, but finding a campsite will be a challenge.

Would you be open to an Air B N B?

PunkyBoo
02-06-2021, 08:53 PM
We wouldn't necessarily camp overnight in Yosemite. We're good with just spending a full day. My concern with AirBnB is that it would only be one night at each which is a lot of packing in and out. The goal of the trip is making stops to explore the college areas, and adding sightseeing stops between.

okinawama
02-06-2021, 09:04 PM
We driving to the Black Hills in South Dakota, and then renting an RV for a week while there. I think there are some that let you drive the RV, and not just deliver it, like we are. The process has been easy and pleasant.

AnnieW625
02-06-2021, 09:48 PM
We wouldn't necessarily camp overnight in Yosemite. We're good with just spending a full day. My concern with AirBnB is that it would only be one night at each which is a lot of packing in and out. The goal of the trip is making stops to explore the college areas, and adding sightseeing stops between.

I am not sure what colleges he is interested in but you could Air BNB in Sacramento or Davis and be within a 2 hour drive of Sonoma State, Chico State and San Francisco schools (USF, SF State). UC Davis and Sac State are local. Cal is a little more than an hour’s drive. On a weekend there is a lot of parking near the State Capital and there might be more than normal during the week because lots of the state agencies still maybe working from home.

Bay Area wise you could try something in San Mateo and be closer to Stanford, UC Santa Cruz, San Jose State, and Cal and all will be within an hour to hour and a half. Monterey Bay is about 2 hours south.