PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Duralex Picardie explosion

sf333
02-08-2021, 08:01 PM
I searched the forums and see that it’s been mentioned before but thought it may be good to have another, more recent thread.

Tonight, I pulled a Duralex Picardie glass out of the dishwasher and it exploded in my hand (the dishwasher cycle had ended many hours before). It made a MASSIVE mess - glass was 6 feet away and all over, some was tiny shards. Thankfully, my kids were not nearby and I only have a tiny cut on my finger but it was shocking (super loud) and a huge pain to clean up. I will never use them again.

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2021, 08:31 PM
Yikes!! I'm glad you are ok. How scary.

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2021, 08:33 PM
I googled "duralex picardie glasses exploding" and multiple threads from our boards popped up. I clearly missed all of those discussions.

sf333
02-08-2021, 08:35 PM
I googled "duralex picardie glasses exploding" and multiple threads from our boards popped up. I clearly missed all of those discussions.

Yes! I don’t recall seeing them either or I would never had bought them. That’s why I posted again - hopefully, more people will be aware and be able to make an informed choice.

AnnieW625
02-08-2021, 08:49 PM
We have had a few explode and they are loud and I know immediately what has happened; the same thing has happened with the Corelle dishes as well. I will say even though it explodes I find it easier to clean than regular glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
02-08-2021, 08:57 PM
Yikes! I just bought another set from Costco.

Melaine
02-08-2021, 09:50 PM
Wow I don’t remember those threads. Yikes! Glad you are ok.

Liziz
02-08-2021, 10:34 PM
Whoa! Scary! Glad you're okay and thanks for the PSA!

georgiegirl
02-08-2021, 10:44 PM
It happened to me too. Not fun. I donated ours when we moved.

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2021, 10:53 PM
We've had it happen, but we still prefer them over other glasses. Other glasses break too.

truly scrumptious
02-09-2021, 10:28 AM
My friend who used to work for Corning explained why this happens with Corelle. I will probably butcher the terminology, so any errors are mine :)
Corelle is made by having one layer of glass under pressure between two outer layers, which is what makes it "unbreakable." That pressure is what makes it "explode", but that only happens if the outer layer is compromised - so every time you bang a dish accidentally on a counter with no apparent damage, it could weaken it for the next time. Basically this means that replace any corelle that has obvious scratches because that means the outer layer is compromised.
(I'm not sure knowing this actually solves anything for anyone, but at least I know that it isn't a defect causing it.)

RedSuedeShoes
02-12-2021, 10:03 PM
I'm sorry you had that experience. It is really terrifying. I'm sure I've posted here about our experience, which happened when our son unloaded the dishwasher. I was in the other room and thought it was a gunshot. I googled and found out it's a thing that can happen, and we got those glasses out of circulation that day. I loved using those glasses, but it was so not worth risking that happening again! I didn't even want to take them to Goodwill and inflict that on someone else.