PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who ski, how do you handle suiting up your kids?

jgenie
02-08-2021, 09:23 PM
DS1 is 13 and still needs help getting his boots on and off. I’m thinking he should be doing it himself already. DS2 is 11 and hates skiing so we boot him up or he wouldn’t ever finish. They both prefer to not wear gear in the car so travel to the mountain in their base layers but it takes forever for them to get dressed. This weekend we made them wear their base layers, ski socks and ski pants in the car but it still took forever to get coats and mittens and gaiters on them. Please help me streamline our process. It is not unheard of to arrive at the mountain and not hit the lifts until 45 minutes later. This year is tough because we are avoiding the lodge so dressing outside in the cold. Eventually we’ll be able to dress in the lodge but I would like to be as ready to go as possible.

bcafe
02-08-2021, 09:43 PM
I help my 9 year old with her ski boots and adjusting her pants over them and her helmet, but the rest of the kids are on their own. We don't wear the outer layers to the mountain but then we gear up in the vehicle (doors open to spread out).

mom2binsd
02-08-2021, 09:59 PM
Can you practice at home, make a fun video or make it a bit of a competition? At their age unless there are fine motor issues they should be able to get dressed (my kids has to be able to put all of their hockey equipment in, including tying skates by age 8 and we practiced at home.)

Even practice in the garage in the car to simulate being at the parking lot.

Maybe bring a camp chair to sit on by the vehicle when you get there to make it easier to get ready

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gatorsmom
02-09-2021, 12:31 AM
The first thing you make them do when suiting up is go pee...

Actually, Dh is the one who is really good with getting our kids ready. I haven’t skied in years but have helped dress them when they’re ere younger and watches him get them ready. Here’s what they do:

At home put on long underwear and socks, and snow pants. Some of our kids will wear their snow boots to the car unfastened. Some fasten theirs up at home. I think when they needed a lot of help when younger, Dh fastened their boots at home before getting in the car. On the way to the car the kids were responsible for tucking their neck gaiter, goggles and gloves in their helmet. They’d drape their fleece shirt over their shoulders and carry their coat so as not to get warm in the car.

Usually Dh would load their skis and poles. Now that they are in their teens, they can carry their helmet with gear tucked in it along with their skis, poles, and coat over to the car.

Once they arrive at the slopes, everything they need to finished dressing in the car is on their shoulders and in their helmets so that part they can do themselves before grabbing their skis and poles from the back and heading off to the lifts. While they put on their fleece layer, neck gaiter, goggles and gloves in the car, Dh unloads the skis and poles from the back of the car. I think when they were much younger, at that point Dh would check that they hadn’t forgotten to do something like attach their goggles to their helmet and then walk them to their group or help them find their lift line. After that he’d get his skis ready to go. I can’t remember how he balanced all his and the twins stuff when the twins were smaller and he skied with them.

It’s a lot of work when they are younger but pretty soon, OP, yours will be able to do most of it themselves.

AnnieW625
02-09-2021, 01:28 AM
TBH by 10 or 11 you should be able to put on your own gear boot included. I did often need someone to balance on while clicking the boots into the bindings, but that was easy enough. By the age of 9 or 10 I knew I hated wearing bib overalls so I asked my parents to buy me regular ski pants (not as thick as snowboard pants as they didn’t exist in the late 80s), and so I wore a base layer and then a pair of jeans underneath the waterproof pants. On top I wore a turtleneck and then a wool sweater underneath a down jacket. Oh and wool socks. It wasn’t the best, but I honestly never complained about being cold and it sure beat having to deal with bib overalls. I am sure today’s snowboard pants do a much better job and you don’t have to wear a base layer plus jeans under waterproof pants. It was also much easier to pee; I didn’t have to remove any top layers. I would wear the base layer and jeans, socks, maybe after ski boots, and the turtleneck in the car and then add the sweater, jacket, hat and gloves when we arrived. It took 10-15 minutes tops to get ready.

Also if your 11 year old doesn’t like skiing I would probably not force it too much. Is there an alternative day camp or activity that he would rather do while you all are skiing? I would hate to waste money on an activity and all of the gear that goes with it if he just isn’t interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie
02-09-2021, 08:10 AM
I help my 9 year old with her ski boots and adjusting her pants over them and her helmet, but the rest of the kids are on their own. We don't wear the outer layers to the mountain but then we gear up in the vehicle (doors open to spread out).

How long does it typically take to get from parking car to walking to lifts?

jgenie
02-09-2021, 08:11 AM
Can you practice at home, make a fun video or make it a bit of a competition? At their age unless there are fine motor issues they should be able to get dressed (my kids has to be able to put all of their hockey equipment in, including tying skates by age 8 and we practiced at home.)

Even practice in the garage in the car to simulate being at the parking lot.

Maybe bring a camp chair to sit on by the vehicle when you get there to make it easier to get ready

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

We figured out the camp chair this season and it does help. Practicing is a brilliant idea! Adding it to our to do list.

jgenie
02-09-2021, 08:20 AM
The first thing you make them do when suiting up is go pee...

Actually, Dh is the one who is really good with getting our kids ready. I haven’t skied in years but have helped dress them when they’re ere younger and watches him get them ready. Here’s what they do:

At home put on long underwear and socks, and snow pants. Some of our kids will wear their snow boots to the car unfastened. Some fasten theirs up at home. I think when they needed a lot of help when younger, Dh fastened their boots at home before getting in the car. On the way to the car the kids were responsible for tucking their neck gaiter, goggles and gloves in their helmet. They’d drape their fleece shirt over their shoulders and carry their coat so as not to get warm in the car.

Usually Dh would load their skis and poles. Now that they are in their teens, they can carry their helmet with gear tucked in it along with their skis, poles, and coat over to the car.

Once they arrive at the slopes, everything they need to finished dressing in the car is on their shoulders and in their helmets so that part they can do themselves before grabbing their skis and poles from the back and heading off to the lifts. While they put on their fleece layer, neck gaiter, goggles and gloves in the car, Dh unloads the skis and poles from the back of the car. I think when they were much younger, at that point Dh would check that they hadn’t forgotten to do something like attach their goggles to their helmet and then walk them to their group or help them find their lift line. After that he’d get his skis ready to go. I can’t remember how he balanced all his and the twins stuff when the twins were smaller and he skied with them.

It’s a lot of work when they are younger but pretty soon, OP, yours will be able to do most of it themselves.

Thanks so much for writing this all out. We have definitely kept most of the responsibility of gearing up on ourselves rather than on them. They were both reluctant skiers but we decided it’s a great family winter activity. DS1 now loves it. DS2 is not a fan but he wants to just sit at home which isn’t healthy. Skiing is a way for the whole family to get moving. I’m a very cautious skier so I do very basic greens but feel like I’m finally getting the hang of it. I skied my first blue yesterday! Small mountain but still an accomplishment. It’s great because my kids have seen me go from very scared to ski to slowly getting better and better with practice. They can ski circles around me. :ROTFLMAO: We’re going to work on shifting the responsibility to them. That will hopefully speed up the process and work better for everyone.

jgenie
02-09-2021, 08:24 AM
TBH by 10 or 11 you should be able to put on your own gear boot included. I did often need someone to balance on while clicking the boots into the bindings, but that was easy enough. By the age of 9 or 10 I knew I hated wearing bib overalls so I asked my parents to buy me regular ski pants (not as thick as snowboard pants as they didn’t exist in the late 80s), and so I wore a base layer and then a pair of jeans underneath the waterproof pants. On top I wore a turtleneck and then a wool sweater underneath a down jacket. Oh and wool socks. It wasn’t the best, but I honestly never complained about being cold and it sure beat having to deal with bib overalls. I am sure today’s snowboard pants do a much better job and you don’t have to wear a base layer plus jeans under waterproof pants. It was also much easier to pee; I didn’t have to remove any top layers. I would wear the base layer and jeans, socks, maybe after ski boots, and the turtleneck in the car and then add the sweater, jacket, hat and gloves when we arrived. It took 10-15 minutes tops to get ready.

Also if your 11 year old doesn’t like skiing I would probably not force it too much. Is there an alternative day camp or activity that he would rather do while you all are skiing? I would hate to waste money on an activity and all of the gear that goes with it if he just isn’t interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, DS1 already switched from bibs to pants. DS2 seems to like the cozy feeling of the straps so he’s still in bibs for now. Unfortunately, no alternate camp or activity. What we have been doing is having him ski as long as he cooperates then when he hits the wall we take turns staying in the car with him. He’s content to read and snack while the other half continues to ski. DS1was a reluctant skier too but he loves it now. I’m hoping at some point DS2 will make the switch.

gatorsmom
02-09-2021, 10:10 AM
Yes, DS1 already switched from bibs to pants. DS2 seems to like the cozy feeling of the straps so he’s still in bibs for now. Unfortunately, no alternate camp or activity. What we have been doing is having him ski as long as he cooperates then when he hits the wall we take turns staying in the car with him. He’s content to read and snack while the other half continues to ski. DS1was a reluctant skier too but he loves it now. I’m hoping at some point DS2 will make the switch.

Our Ds3 is an”reluctant skier” too. But he’s a reluctant everything. I think what you are doing is smart. Make him ski until he hits that wall. Our son has become a good skier and we remind him of how good he is when he starts to whine about going again. We also remind him that he’s happy when he comes back from a trip to the ski hill. Ds3’s therapist said it’s ok to force them to do some family things as long as he’s comfortable and safe. I’m hoping that the more he skis, the better he will become and eventually he’ll enjoy this activity that he’s good at.

For what it’s worth, all of my kids have tried snow pants at some point and prefer bibs. Not sure why. The only thing they layer over their bibs is their coat so when it’s time to use the bathroom, all they take off is their coat. Everything else gets tucked into the bibs.

hbridge
02-09-2021, 11:21 AM
Boots are tricky. If they are not "just right" then the kids feet can be miserable! I would say helping take boots on and off is okay until they are old enough to want to do it themselves or need to for ski team/club.

DC LOVES to ski...now. We have gone through all types of attitudes about it. The worst is when they hit the wall as far away from the car/condo as possible and you have to figure out how to talk them down when they "forget" how to ski at the top of a big mountain black diamond (fun times :) ). We have not been skiing this year due to covid safety and quarantine requirements. However, the only thing we required DC to do from the very beginning (age 3) was carry their own gear to the lodge. Otherwise, if we are there we will assist if needed. Skiing is supposed to be fun, the worst part is getting to the lift for that first run, so we try to keep that part as stress free as possible. I say help them as much as they need, but also work with them to get them comfortable to do it on their own. It's a process :)! Have Fun. I am jealous of all of those who can ski this year.

marinkitty
02-09-2021, 11:33 AM
I think our kids all did their own gear by about age 10, but occasionally we would help with boots if they were being stubborn. Even now that they are 13, 15 and 17, I'm still asked to do up a buckle or strap here or there many days if I'm suiting up at the same time they do. If they are being slow in the mornings, I'll still fire up handwarmers for all of us or fill someone's Camelback if I'm already ready.

We now almost always suit up in the house and garage and ski straight out, but thinking back to when they were younger and we drove to the mountain more often, we did so fully suited except for gloves and helmets if it was a short drive - 15 minutes or less - and in base layers, a mid layer if wearing one and snow pants if a longer drive. In that case, each child had their helmet with goggles, neck gaiter and gloves tucked inside (hand warmers always already started and inside the gloves) and their coats in the car with them and would slip all that on before getting out of the car. Then, boots, skis, poles and ski backpacks (fully packed and ready to go) were in the back and we'd get out and take turns sitting on the bumper to put boots on, zip coats, pull on backpacks and go. I'd say it was a 15-20 minute process usually from parking to walking to the slopes. DH and I always at the rear quickly putting our own boots on after the kids were walking with skis toward the lift. I do think the sooner they feel comfortable handling their own gear the better. Perhaps some practice sessions at home? Or some motivation - before getting out of the car saying, ok guys let's keep this to 15 minutes and then we'll get a treat after?

One thing I did do for a very long time (in fact, this past Christmas might have been the only time I haven't done this), is lay out each kid's ski clothes (usually I run laundry at night and we all only have two sets of base layers so we are always rotating) in a pile each morning so that when I said "time to get ready" i knew everything they needed was set and gathered and no one would be running around hunting for gear. This year, I was a bit militant about making sure things got hung up or laid out by the fire and then gathered up before bed to help them start learning to corral their own stuff. Unfortunately, I kind of have to do this with DH too!

marinkitty
02-09-2021, 11:44 AM
Replying again to add some encouragement about your reluctant skier. We had two of those initially (both our boys). There was lots of cajoling, lots of bringing friends and doing trips with other families so all the kids would have a gang to ski with when not skiing with the whole family, hiring private instructors etc to get them to a point where they loved it - that came with being good enough to tackle fun and challenging terrain and also with some independence on the mountain with friends as tweens and teens.

I do think you are doing the right thing by keeping him skiing. It is such a good family activity, great exposure to the outdoors and it is a lifetime sport. All three of mine now love it and for sure will keep skiing on their own even without us, but even so, it can be hard to push these potatoes out the door on a cold morning when bed, video games etc. beckon. I often get grumbling in the morning about wanting to start later, but once we are out, they almost never decide to go in early or complain. So hang in there!

basil
02-09-2021, 01:12 PM
Did not read all responses.

How far is it from home to mountain?

I make my kids get dressed as much as possible at home in the garage before we leave. Caveat is that it's only a 15 min drive to our local hill, and if we are going further we are staying overnight usually pretty close to mountain. So it isn't a long drive.

I bought each of us a boot bag (Amazon basics) that will hold boots and helmets etc. I bought packing cubes and in each packing cube is underwear, ski socks, and base layers. They grab a cube and get dressed. When it's time to go to leave to go skiing, they are responsible for choosing and putting on their mid layers (all stored in the boot bag) and outerwear. Then we have them sit on the steps inside the garage and put their boots on. They need to get both boots on their feet before they call me to help buckle them. I also get mostly dressed other than ski boots (cause I have to drive!) and coat.

When we get to the mountain I pull all the bags out of the trunk and put them on the ground in the parking lot. They go in and get their helmet/hat/gloves/pass/goggles and whatever else they need while I change boots and put my stuff on. My DD (6) sometimes needs help with zipping her coat all the way up, buckling her helmet, or putting the second glove on. DS (9) can pretty much do it himself, but he's the one who dilly dallies and messes around if I'm not constantly nagging him.

We can pretty much get to the lift in about 15-20 minutes this way, though there is obviously more time spent getting ready at home. I've skied since I was my DD's age (with a long break for my pregnancies and infancy time), but we never dressed in the lodge. It's actually funny, I say some things to them now (If we don't get ready now, we won't get a good parking space and will have to walk farther!) that are exactly what my dad told me when I was their age.

I also make them carry their own skis to and from the lifts, though sometimes if DD does a really good job getting ready I'll carry her skis if she carries my poles.

At the end of the day, they take off their gloves/helmet etc and it all goes back in the bag. They take the boots off in the garage when we get home and put the boots back in the bag, and all the bags go in the closet together. The worst part for me in the past wasn't so much time in the parking lot but time spent running around with each one going "I only have one glove! I have 2 left gloves! Where's my other ski sock? I need a hat!" so the individual ski bag solved a lot of that.

Both kids like skiing once out but DS is the one much more likely to want to stay home until he gets moving. I can't count how many times he's told me "I'm not in a skiing mood today, I don't want to go" as he's getting ready, but once out he always has a good time.

bisous
02-09-2021, 01:48 PM
These kinds of "how-tos" are so incredibly valuable to me so thank you to OP for posting and for all the responses. We don't even ski but reading through these responses teaches me how to do my "mom tasks" better! Just had to share because I'm grateful for these detailed responses!

Dayzy
02-09-2021, 02:02 PM
DH takes our kids skiing almost weekly. It's about 35-45 minutes to the local mountain. Everyone gets dressed, ski pants, and coats on before leaving the house. Gloves and their ski bags go next to them in the car. When they are getting closer DH tells them to start making sure the goggles are on the helmets, to get the balaclavas on, and get the boots on their feet. By the time they get into the lot it's just snapping the boots, putting on the helmets, and putting on the gloves.

gatorsmom
02-09-2021, 02:29 PM
Balaclavas! I completely forgot those! Each kid has their own and they go in their helmets with their gloves, goggles, and neck gaitors until they are ready to put on the last bit of gear. Not sure where DH buys them but he has a couple for each kid.

Also wanted to add how interesting these discussion have been. Our family has a tiny local mountain about 30 minutes from us on the other side of the city. My kids are there twice a week after school and most weekends when there is snow throughout the winter. Being there so frequently they lose things and stuff wears out. Before COVID19, we only got out west to actual mountains once or twice per year. For that week or 2 of all-day skiing in actual mountains, our gear was fine. But I could understand how you'd want better-quality, dedicated ski gear for all-day skiing in the mountains several times per year.

StantonHyde
02-09-2021, 03:24 PM
When they were little-5-7--I would pull up to the front of the lot in the mini van. The kids would be in their base layers and snow boots only. Then I would haul on bibs/coats, mittens, helmet, gaiter, goggles, and do up their boots. I put all of our gear on the rack at the front of the lodge. Left them to play in the snow and then parked the car, pulled my stuff on and walked to them. Then we put on our gear and get on the lift. At the end of the day, I left them in the snow, got the car and did it all in reverse. I took them skiing weekly by myself for a number of years. They took group ski lessons and that was fun. We stopped later in the day for lunch because it is harder to get going once you stop. I would ditch it when it was zero degrees outside--not fun for anybody. I let them have whatever junk food they wanted :-)

As they have gotten older, they stopped skiing. Their friends don't ski and they have homework and other stuff to do. I haven't gone in several years--bad snow years and then the danged Ikon pass ruined everything. You have to be on the road by 6:30-7am now to get up the canyon and get a parking space. It used to be you could leave at 8, get to the resort by 8:45, park and go. Now it takes over an hour to get to the resort and its super crowded. Just not my scene on the weekends. oh well...