PDA

View Full Version : Clothes for big and tall but long waisted not yet tween

Ms B
02-13-2021, 12:33 AM
The Biscuit is now 56 inches tall and 110 pounds at age 9 "and a half" (as he says). He is broad in the shoulders and has a 32+ inch waist.

He is very long waisted (think Michael Phelps, 2/3 torso, 1/3 legs). We have issues with shirt and arm length that we solve by going bigger so things are long enough (currently buying kids XXL or adult S).

The pants, pjs, and unders are the problem. Kids L and even L husky are getting snug in the waist and hip, but kids XL, XL husky, or 12/14 pants are way too long (except for Lands End khakis, but The Biscuit 100% prefers track pants or joggers).

Also, I am having a heck of a time finding age appropriate boxer briefs and pjs for him. He wants superheroes or video characters on them, but I am striking out over size 12 in unders and the size 14 pjs do not fit him in the hips (he has a caboose like DH).

Any suggestions to get us to spring, wise hive?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JBaxter
02-13-2021, 01:01 AM
Look at men’s small boxer briefs at Marshall’s TJ max and any other discount store. Lol they have fun prints not as cheep as the kids packs but maybe you can get a few and so some solid colors

jgenie
02-13-2021, 01:31 AM
Check Target for fun boxers and pjs in men’s sizing.

mom2binsd
02-13-2021, 02:01 AM
Check 5 below or Target men's section for tshirts. If you have Meijer, they have a huge selection of fun graphic tees with every possible character/logo etc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
02-13-2021, 08:16 AM
Hanna Andersson has boxer briefs with Star Wars, Batman, Superman, etc. on them up to size XL which I think it 14-16.

For pajama pants I would buy what fits with a little growing room in the waist and hips, then shorten the legs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaxter
02-13-2021, 09:11 AM
My boys sleep in gym shorts I probably haven't bought actual PJs since they were 9

Kestrel
02-13-2021, 01:48 PM
We had to give up on hero prints, though there are some cute things available seasonally (we got Tasmanian Devil at Valentine's day, grinch for Christmas).

What inseam is he? We got pajama pants at Kohl's for cheap and shortened. (I actually just tacked them for later growth.) Then I got the plain solid color T's at Joann Fabric for pajama tops - they go on sale frequently; I got my last set 4/$10. Most of the year, though, DS wears Hanes Fleece shorts to bed.

klwa
02-15-2021, 08:34 AM
For fun unders in men's small, you may want to keep an eye out for sales on Crazy Boxers. I get them off of Zulily pretty often for DS who wears a Men's Small. https://www.zulily.com/search?q=crazy+boxers&fromSearch=true&page=2

Melaine
02-15-2021, 09:56 AM
Following. DS is super similar! I was eyeing three pairs of size 12 track pants at goodwill for 50 cent each wondering if I could straight up cut them to size and leave them raw hem? Crazy?

smilequeen
02-15-2021, 03:14 PM
It's not Target prices, but I have gotten MeUndies for my 13 year old so he can have Marvel or Harry Potter, etc. Otherwise, mine wear Under Armor boxer briefs mostly. My oldest and youngest have serious hockey butt. (Oldest is actually adult sized though...he's 16).

My youngest goes back and forth between needing/not needing husky sizes and it's tough because they are often long. I ended up buying mostly joggers because at least they didn't hang. And he always grows up and then out, so when he hits a growth spurt, they start to fit well again...Bottoms from Lands End and Gap Kids most of the time. I have gotten him some joggers and shorts at Abercrombie kids, sized up as I feel like they run a bit shorter.

gamma
02-15-2021, 03:21 PM
Following. DS is super similar! I was eyeing three pairs of size 12 track pants at goodwill for 50 cent each wondering if I could straight up cut them to size and leave them raw hem? Crazy?
Try using a pinking sheer to cut the bottom ( a sewers scissor), which cuts in a zig zag shape so the hem doesn’t fray when you wash them.

gamma
02-15-2021, 03:22 PM
I’m not sure if this might work, but DGS likes H&M tee shirts since them come in slim fit. Sizing up might give length, but not be too boxy and baggy.

Melaine
02-15-2021, 04:50 PM
Try using a pinking sheet to cut the bottom ( a sewers scissor), which cuts in a zig zag shape so the hem doesn’t fray when you wash them.

Oh that's a good idea. I have some somewhere.

klwa
02-16-2021, 07:40 AM
Oh, and also, check with local sources to see if there's someone who will hem pants cheaply. Paying an extra $5 a pair to have them hemmed properly may save you a lot of stress in the long run.

Melaine
02-17-2021, 05:04 PM
I found husky sweat pants on clearance at Walmart today for $4, in 3 different colors. The 10/12 husky is a good fit for my son. I think the jogger styles are more forgiving in length. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athletic-Works-Boys-4-18-Husky-Fleece-Pants/452773721