PDA

View Full Version : How is your high school/middle school doing health screenings?

Kestrel
02-26-2021, 03:54 PM
Our schools start hybrid on Monday. (My child is staying remote, but I still get the info.) In order to get into the building in the morning, child or parent has to do a health screening online. The child then has to show this screen on their phone to get into the building.

However - what they are doing for those that do not have a phone angers me. They are doing a separate line that has to do extra steps to get in. I don't know how to avoid it, but... school hasn't even started yet and the kids in class today (virtual - hybrid starts Monday) are already calling it the "poor" line or the "loser" line.

I am so glad my kid isn't going to have to deal with this!

Is your school doing something similar? Any suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2021, 04:00 PM
Ours is online. Everyone has to have their temp taken upon arrival so I think there is just one line (per door- each grade has their own entrance and exit into the building).

craftysierra
02-26-2021, 04:12 PM
My kids are all remote, but the forms are completed by parents online to the best of my knowledge. High school has temperature cameta. My child told me they were expected to have a phone in High school to play kahoots and various class activities. Quite a change from the 8th and below kids where they were not allowed to have a phone outside of their lockers. We ended up getting all our kids individual phones vs sharing...

gatorsmom
02-26-2021, 04:13 PM
Our schools start hybrid on Monday. (My child is staying remote, but I still get the info.) In order to get into the building in the morning, child or parent has to do a health screening online. The child then has to show this screen on their phone to get into the building.

However - what they are doing for those that do not have a phone angers me. They are doing a separate line that has to do extra steps to get in. I don't know how to avoid it, but... school hasn't even started yet and the kids in class today (virtual - hybrid starts Monday) are already calling it the "poor" line or the "loser" line.

I am so glad my kid isn't going to have to deal with this!

Thats terrible! I’d be the itchbay that called the school and let them know that Facebook is showing poor people at their school being treated differently. It’s not smart for the school to push this different policy and it’s not helping the poorer kids. Seriously, wth?

We are remote learning too but all the school notices come to us so I know what the school is doing but not how well it’s going. Our school is asking parents to take temps of their kids first thing in the morning and keep them home for a fever or unusual health change. In other words, if the parent suspects their kids’ sniffle or cough is due to allergies, they can send them. Keep in mind, though, that our school- while keeping the kids in pods and distancing in their classrooms and at lunch- isn’t requiring anyone to wear a mask. So maybe not the best school to model (and completely why we decided to virtual lean this year).

mom2binsd
02-26-2021, 04:19 PM
We do a health assessment online, they check off each kid in their 1st period class, if the parent hasn't done the assessment they have them go to the nurse, take temp and call parent to answer health questions.

No lines getting into school.

Hybrid currently, 2 x week Jr and high school, about 2500 kids total at our high school. Community positivity rate is at 1.8%, hoping we are able to get to 5x soon. It's time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mmsmom
02-26-2021, 04:40 PM
We have an app to fill in before they go to school w/ temp and screening questions. Until a week ago they were also doing temp checks before kids got out of car or on bus and before sports practice or any other time kids came to campus. They just made decision to stop doing on campus temp checks last week. I don’t think the temp checks did much for finding Covid+ students.

bcafe
02-26-2021, 04:43 PM
No in-depth health screenings or temps taken at school. We are in person.

acmom
02-26-2021, 04:47 PM
Our school has been hybrid since Sept. Temp checked on the way in the door and then health screening questions done weekly via email to parents. Not sure if they ask the kids any daily questions when they are temp checking.

gymnbomb
02-26-2021, 05:03 PM
Ours is online. You have to fill out the screening form before going to school each day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smilequeen
02-26-2021, 05:06 PM
Ours in an app on the phone or you can do it at home and print it off, same entrance either way, but it's also a private school and phones are the norm. I honestly never thought about it, probably a sign of my own privilege. I can see how that would be rough/unfair in some situations.

bisous
02-26-2021, 05:08 PM
Oh my gosh! I hate the system the school is using! My kids would be in the "poors" lines. Not because of funds but because I'm a scrooge and won't give a smart phone to kids until 9th grade, lol! (I'm assuming this is not high school?) But that's just...

Our school will start in person (hybrid) on Monday. We've opted to stay remote but the kids that are attending will need to print out a form and bring it in each day. They are passing out forms for each kid for the days they attend so there is no issue of not having a printer or paper.

belovedgandp
02-26-2021, 05:13 PM
Ugh, the two different lines is itching for trouble.

I have a 5th and 8th grader fully remote this year. My 11th grader has been registered as an "in person" learner but this has been fully remote, hybrid, back to remote, back to hybrid, and is now switching to fully in person. Hybrid for HS is 1/2 day, so they block schedule and get each class for 45 minutes every other day. Teachers teach half the class in morning and half in afternoon. MS is also split but does every other day instead of half days.

Students going into the buildings do not have daily temperature or health screenings. District has pushed general guidelines parents had to agree to for the year, but nothing daily.

HS will be dealing with a large number eating lunch for the first time next week. They've blocked more lunch periods and spread tables in a gym and lobby for more seating. Each class is assigned an area and time to eat, but students may select their seat. Eat seat has a QR code they are supposed to scan when eating at that spot. There is an assumption of a phone for this. But there is also a website with online checkin and every student does have a chromebook.

SnuggleBuggles
02-26-2021, 05:16 PM
I should have clarified. Ours is online but the kids don’t need to show anything upon arrival. The school uses a google form and gets transmitted to the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

JBaxter
02-26-2021, 05:35 PM
We have been in person all year and no screenings done. Kids ride the bus kids go to school. Masks are worn and when the health dept alerts the school and they contact trace anyone that meets that criteria. 7 days with neg PCR or 10 days with out.

jgenie
02-26-2021, 05:41 PM
We’ve been fully in-person all year. Parents take temps at home. Temp of 100.0 stay home. Parents have to complete an intake form online before drop off. Kids have a bar code on their ids. Upon arrival at school temps are taken and cards are scanned. If you’ve filled out the online form, kids enter and go to classes. If you didn’t fill out the form, a message pops up when they scan their card. The staff then asks the student to answer the questions and then sends them off to classes. There are several entrances spread out on campus so there isn’t much of a bottleneck at any one entrance.

wendibird22
02-26-2021, 07:51 PM
In person all year. School sends a google form once every two weeks that parent completes attesting to taking kids temp every day and that it’s below 100.5 and attest to no symptoms, no exposure, and no out of state travel. I’m certain few parents are actually still taking temps every day. School does not do temp checks or any other daily screening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat
02-26-2021, 07:56 PM
That is awful. Ours is a daily health attestation ..... on the honor system. :rolleye0014:

KrisM
02-26-2021, 08:00 PM
In school full-time since August and no app or online screenings. Parents and kids agreed to monitor health at home and not send sick kids to school. Yes, we have cases, but no in-school spread.

After school visitors have to do an app, but that is as much for tracing if needed than anything else.

basil
02-26-2021, 08:54 PM
We don’t have to do anything. All of this sounds performative, and a waste of time.

hbridge
02-27-2021, 06:24 PM
The two lines are just a recipe for disaster!!!

Our small private school does a temp check every day for everyone entering the building...students, staff, visitors, ect. I think they ask the kids if they are feeling okay, but I am not sure if that still happens. The rest is the honor system.

lizzywednesday
02-27-2021, 06:49 PM

No; all parents sending kids to in-person classes must fill in a survey using the attendance/grade portal.

There's no expectation that students will show proof of survey on a personal device.

ett
02-27-2021, 07:00 PM
It's pretty much been the honor system here since last fall, although they are going to start using a health attestation form in March that needs to be filled out every morning. High schoolers can fill out the form themselves; parents fill it out for the other grades.

MontrealMum
02-28-2021, 12:29 PM
In person all year. No formal health screenings. On the honor system to keep your kids home based on specific symptoms/situations. This has worked better in some schools than others because, unfortunately, some people suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Dayzy
02-28-2021, 09:17 PM
Our school has been full time and in person since September, with the exception of 2 weeks after Christmas break where they went virtual for safety purposes. Parents are expected to review the health screening form each morning but do not need to send anything in. The students are checked for fever at the door.

nfceagles
02-28-2021, 09:40 PM
We’ve been in person full time since October and we have no daily screening process other than frequent reminders to parents to be diligent about keeping kids home if there is any concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

klwa
03-01-2021, 07:48 AM
We have a list of questions you're supposed to "ask yourself" before you get ready to come in, but nothing official that has to be turned into the school. Then every student gets their temp checked either before getting on the bus or before getting out of the car.

pinkmomagain
03-01-2021, 10:00 AM
There is an app for the phone that has screener questions. The HS kids show the completed "OK" screen at the door to get into the building. We have been hybrid since Fall but starting fulltime in-person now.

I believe parents can fill out the screener from a computer and send a printout in with their kid -- if their child didn't have a phone themselves.