PDA

View Full Version : Any new stats on kids and Long Haul COVID19?

gatorsmom
03-02-2021, 01:25 PM
Its looking possible that Dh and I will be fully vaccinated by the end of this month. Our family has been very careful because DH’s immunocompromised due to medication he is taking and I have asthma. Once we are vaccinated we started to think about how this affects our carefully-constructed risk analysis arguments. I’ve long suspected Dh has adhd and this past year has brought about some crazy behavior on his part. He’s climbing the walls to get out and do things. He needed to be reminded that our kids won’t be vaccinated for a while yet and are still at risk of infection. The discussion led to our real fear- any of our kids getting Long Haul COVID19. We argued back and forth about the likelihood of any of them getting it and how much we should still protect them. We came to the agreement that in the absence of real statistics about the numbers of children with Long Haul COVID19, as a family we would avoid anything indoors that could be a super-spreader event. This still rules out movie theaters, restaurants, and other places where distancing is not widely observed or where there’s the potential for crowding.

All this would be much easier if we had some solid, dependable numbers about kids with Long Haul Covid. Dh asked me to ask the BBB if any of you have heard anything. Any updates you can give would be greatly appreciated!

georgiegirl
03-02-2021, 03:34 PM
No stats, but DH and I decided that we will let our kids get back to normal once I’m vaccinated, which will be when most people will get vaccinated. We haven’t seen much evidence that kids are likely to have long lasting effects.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2021, 03:38 PM
No stats, but DH and I decided that we will let our kids get back to normal once I’m vaccinated, which will be when most people will get vaccinated. We haven’t seen much evidence that kids are likely to have long lasting effects.

Ditto.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
03-02-2021, 04:11 PM

We're taking the same approach. We're hoping that following the mass vaccination of most adults that rates of infection will be down. And that the risks are not high enough to keep up our current level of vigilance.

gatorsmom
03-02-2021, 04:48 PM

Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.

basil
03-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Yes, now that DH and I and my parents are vaccinated we are taking a few more "risks" with our kids. Meaning they get to go to Costco on a crowded Saturday with 2 masks on instead of staying home, and go inside the lodge to use the bathroom when we are skiing instead of driving back to the condo!

I don't have data on long haul COVID in children. I do think that the risk of mortality/hospitalization of children from COVID is around about the same as the risk of death from influenza in a given year (clearly higher mortality in adults though). I am more concerned about getting quarantined and having to miss work for 2 weeks if my kid picks up COVID at a playdate more than long term consequences.

zukeypur
03-02-2021, 05:44 PM
I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.

essnce629
03-02-2021, 05:50 PM
I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.Yes, exactly. My 17 year old DS1's good friend just spent 4 days in the hospital with myocarditis, which has been popping up in teens and young adults who have had Covid. I haven't spoken to his mom yet so I don't know if they ever found the cause, but my first thought when I heard was Covid.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

smilequeen
03-02-2021, 05:52 PM
I am particularly concerned about the heart damage. Any reports on that with kids? There was the college basketball player that had an emergency situation on the basketball court earlier this year, which was scary.

We were given info similar to this by our hockey coaches. If anyone was actually sick with Covid, they needed to follow guidelines and follow up with a doctor r.e. risk of myocarditis. None of the teens on our teams actually got sick, but we had a few test positive. I think it's something to consider for sure.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/returning-to-sports-or-exercise-after-recovering-from-covid-19/

Philly Mom
03-02-2021, 06:42 PM
Will you get your kids vaccinated once a vax is available for ages 17 and under? I’m just curious. We are really trying to figure out where the greatest risk is- long haul covid in kids or long-term side effects from the vaccine. It would be really easy for us to draw anecdotal conclusions. Almost everyone we know in our crazy, anti-masking community has had it. Only one has been hospitalized. I don’t want to base our decisions on anecdotal evidence though, which is why I’m looking for statistics.

I will definitely be getting my kids vaccinated. It can’t happen soon enough. The vaccines are efficacious and safe. Covid can have much worse impact even for kids. If I could vaccinate against flu and obtain the same results as the covid vaccine, it would be amazing. I get the flu shot but it would be great if it did what the Covid vaccines did. Long term Covid risks appear to be long term heart issues and possibly an increase in type 1 diabetes. While the risks for kids seem closer to the flu risks, there are real risks to the flu too.

To answer your original question, I think I will have my kids continue to wear masks inside with non vaccinated people. They have no been inside someone else’s house since October but i think masked i will be ok with that now. I will wait until the positivity is close to 2 before they can play outside without a mask and 1 before they can play inside without a mask. I probably won’t take them to an indoor restaurant until they are vaccinated but I might go without them. I would still prefer to be outside. I will not be going unmasked to a big germ fest like a children’s museum. I don’t feel the need to throw everything away and have them get sick on 10 yard line but I’ll take some risks.

For example, I’ll be fully vaccinated shortly. I am taking them on an airplane to see my parents once I am. They will be double masked and with a face shield. We will not doing anything crazy when we are at my parents. They are fully vaccinated already.

gatorsmom
03-02-2021, 07:48 PM
We were given info similar to this by our hockey coaches. If anyone was actually sick with Covid, they needed to follow guidelines and follow up with a doctor r.e. risk of myocarditis. None of the teens on our teams actually got sick, but we had a few test positive. I think it's something to consider for sure.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/returning-to-sports-or-exercise-after-recovering-from-covid-19/

Do you know of any studies that show the number of people who have experienced heart problems due to COVID19? I’m wondering if it’s rare or a real possibility.

niccig
03-02-2021, 08:05 PM
I work inpatient pediatric rehab on weekends at a children’s hospital. DS knows he is to always wear helmet skateboarding and to never get on an ATV. I’ll add “always wear a mask and keep 6’ distance” until he can get vaccinated. Our area still has large number of cases, and he’s 16 so can get Phizer shot once eligible. We won’t be doing any indoor crowded places like the movies or mall for awhile. That said, he will go back to in person school when allowed and last week he saw friends outdoors for first time in months. Outdoor and masked, I’m not worried. In-doors only if have too - school, dr etc. we’re close to when numbers will be less and more vaccines, would hate to mess that up now and he gets Covid when soon could’ve been vaccinated

georgiegirl
03-02-2021, 08:12 PM

Yes, my kids will get vaccinated when it’s available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carolinacool
03-02-2021, 08:14 PM

If this is about the Florida player, his family has come out and said it wasn’t Covid related, although i’m not sure how they determined that.

DH and I will be eligible for vaccinations in a couple weeks due to underlying conditions. We’re definitely a little more out there anyway than many on this board. DS, 11, has been playing basketball locally all through the fall and winter. (They wear a mask, even during games.) His AAU season kicks off at the end of this month, which will involve travel, hotels and likely sometimes having to eat indoors, which we have avoided since early fall. But after having missed his season last spring, he didn’t want to sit out another, especially when the circuit is back up and running.

I realize that anything can happen to anyone, but I honestly feel a lot better knowing that DH and I will have our vaccinations all wrapped up by mid April, even sooner if we get the Johnson & Johnson version. I definitely feel better about resuming more parts of normal life. We’re even going to the beach for a week this summer with friends.

ETA: and yes, we plan to vaccinate DS when when it is available for kids. But he’s only 11, so who knows when that will be.

Liziz
03-02-2021, 09:50 PM
DH and I have been struggling with this ourselves! We are both now fully vaccinated (yay!). We are looking forward to grandparents visiting us (they're halfway through their shots), but other than that we're not at a point that we're ready for doing much differently with our lives. That being said, my DDs have been in person school this entire year, so they've had more risk and exposure already than many on this board.

MSWR0319
03-02-2021, 10:19 PM

Yes, we will get our kids vaccinated. I'd do it now if I could. Heck, I'm sad we haven't heard back from the Moderna trial for DS to participate in, even though they said they'd call back when they got protocols.

ETA: I just got done watching the news and they said that they are seeing more and more kids with long haul covid. They said it may end up being that 10%-30% of kids have long covid like adults. Great.

AngB
03-02-2021, 11:46 PM
If this is about the Florida player, his family has come out and said it wasn’t Covid related, although i’m not sure how they determined that.

If there was a congenital heart defect they didn't know about?

I work in ultrasound and have been to conferences from pediatric cardiologists that have said 60%+ of congenital heart defects are missed by ultrasound. That's usually the only time someone's heart is actually "looked" at unless they have obvious issues.

carolinacool
03-02-2021, 11:52 PM
If there was a congenital heart defect they didn't know about?

I work in ultrasound and have been to conferences from pediatric cardiologists that have said 60%+ of congenital heart defects are missed by ultrasound. That's usually the only time someone's heart is actually "looked" at unless they have obvious issues.

Makes sense.

ang79
03-03-2021, 12:18 AM
Yes, we will get our kids vaccinated. I'd do it now if I could. Heck, I'm sad we haven't heard back from the Moderna trial for DS to participate in, even though they said they'd call back when they got protocols.

ETA: I just got done watching the news and they said that they are seeing more and more kids with long haul covid. They said it may end up being that 10%-30% of kids have long covid like adults. Great.

That is my concern, any of us getting a mild case but then developing long-term issues (I had read earlier this year that the majority of long haul cases were in healthy adults in their 40's who just had mild cases of Covid, which is both DH and I. Not sure if statistics still point to that age range for long haul cases). I asked the nurse practitioner my kids see at the pediatrician's office about her view on the vaccine for kids. She said her view may be biased as her husband died from Covid this past fall, but she is absolutely recommending the vaccine to her patients. She said she has had a pre-teen patient who had a stroke after a mild case of Covid and a college athlete who now has asthma like symptoms after a mild case and has difficulty with making it through 1 hr. training sessions. The long term heart and lung issues are what has me keeping us in our little bubble this long.

georgiegirl
03-03-2021, 12:53 AM
That is my concern, any of us getting a mild case but then developing long-term issues (I had read earlier this year that the majority of long haul cases were in healthy adults in their 40's who just had mild cases of Covid, which is both DH and I. Not sure if statistics still point to that age range for long haul cases). I asked the nurse practitioner my kids see at the pediatrician's office about her view on the vaccine for kids. She said her view may be biased as her husband died from Covid this past fall, but she is absolutely recommending the vaccine to her patients. She said she has had a pre-teen patient who had a stroke after a mild case of Covid and a college athlete who now has asthma like symptoms after a mild case and has difficulty with making it through 1 hr. training sessions. The long term heart and lung issues are what has me keeping us in our little bubble this long.

My concern is a mild case and then developing long term issues. That’s why I’m not interested in the J&J vaccine for me. I’m not worried I’m going to die, but I am worried about the 66% efficacy against mild to moderate covid. That’s only 2/3...so 1 out of 3 chance I could get moderate covid?

specialp
03-03-2021, 08:19 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/mar/02/long-covid-uk-children-date-cause-concern-scientists-say?CMP=share_btn_tw&fbclid=IwAR1vcnc6RSFEBP0lbU4bwxpCNtOYfLG6FCrCGMmpZ g1SkRk4HCx7zNzcRLs

Refers to single center data out of Sweden and Italy you could look into to find specifics. Covid has been around for a year and kids were locked up quickly so I think it will be a while before we have large scale dependable #s on long covid in kids.

jgenie
03-03-2021, 08:22 AM
My concern is a mild case and then developing long term issues. That’s why I’m not interested in the J&J vaccine for me. I’m not worried I’m going to die, but I am worried about the 66% efficacy against mild to moderate covid. That’s only 2/3...so 1 out of 3 chance I could get moderate covid?

Right now you know you’ll get either Pfizer or Moderna but once J&J releases more vaccines how will you know which vaccine you’re getting when you make your appointment?

specialp
03-03-2021, 08:34 AM
Right now you know you’ll get either Pfizer or Moderna but once J&J releases more vaccines how will you know which vaccine you’re getting when you make your appointment?

In my state, you can call the individual locations to see which vaccine they have for the next 3 days to a week and they will tell you. You can't assume all Walmarts or Walgreens or county departments have the same because they do not. I help make appointments for people who are struggling with the portals and locating vaccines and I do the calls when there is a specific need for pfizer, which is much harder to find. I'm concerned that will change with J&J because there is much more hesitancy with that one.

gymnbomb
03-03-2021, 08:54 AM

In my state the portal tells you which vaccine is given at a site before you make an appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ang79
03-03-2021, 09:02 AM

It will be awhile before I am eligible for the vaccine but I hope there are options when it’s my turn, as I’d prefer Pfizer Moderna as well. I read last night that in PA they are moving teachers from 1b to 1a now that J&J is available and that they are planning to use the first shipments of J&J to vaccinate teachers at specific locations, saving the other two vaccines for the rest of 1a that still needs vaccinated (healthcare workers, elderly, and immune compromised). If I were still teaching, I would have mixed feelings about this plan: Thankful to be able to get the vaccine sooner but also disappointed that it’s J&J.

MSWR0319
03-03-2021, 09:02 AM

My state started giving out J&J yesterday. We’re in a rural area and they are available today 20 minutes from me. DH has his appointment tomorrow and right now it looks like it’s Pfizer. I’m hoping it stays that way.

twowhat?
03-03-2021, 10:23 AM

It's hard for people to not fixate on that number. Every scientist is trained, and trained again, and reminded constantly throughout their careers, to never make cross-trial comparisons. Differences between how studies were conducted, the patient population, how endpoints were measured, and a whole bunch of other things contribute to differences in results.

In the US, I think the number for J&J is actually 72% (efficacy = protection against moderate/severe disease). Moderna and Pfizer measured efficacy differently ("symptomatic infection", I think). Those are two VERY different measures of efficacy. Also remember that the J&J study was conducted during the time period of emerging variants. The difference in circulating virus pool alone could make a big impact on efficacy. If you consider that the J&J study enrolled patients with these variants and STILL came out ahead with an efficacy rate of 72% in the US, that's FANTASTIC. I guarantee you if the Moderna and Pfizer studies were done at the exact same time as the J&J study, the results would be different.

All that's to say...get the first vaccine offered to you!!! J&J is conducting a study to see if an added booster could boost their efficacy (and in theory, it totally would). Also remember that the J&J vaccine, in trials, offered 100% protection from severe disease 49 days after the single dose tested. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. During a time of circulating variants. That is FANTASTIC, y'all!!!!

eta: I get your concern - and it's why we have to continue mitigation strategies. No matter which vaccine you get, you're at risk of contracting asymptomatic or mild disease and we don't know enough about long-term effects. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I sure as hell still don't want to catch it. Now, I think that being vaccinated gives you a leg up on long covid. This hasn't been proven, but it would make sense that a faster, stronger immune response that takes control of the virus early and prevents it from causing as much damage as a natural infection would also translate to less risk of long-term effects.

carolinacool
03-03-2021, 10:31 AM
My state will begin administering J&J today. At yesterday's press conference, the secretary of the state health department said she plans to receive J&J later this week and she's excited about the ease of it being one shot while still being very effective. It's clear she's being strategic about choosing that version and making a big announcement. Based on the press questions she and the governor were getting, a lot of people just don't want it, so state leaders are trying to change the narrative around it.

I'll be able to receive my vaccination at the end of the month, and if the J&J is the first one available to me, I think I'll take it.

doberbrat
03-03-2021, 10:40 AM
I also was one of the 'I dont want J&J' and got the pfizer on Monday (Thank you Lord!) Yesterday I read a study that the pfizer isnt working as well in the obese (me) which falls in line with something that my dr said. That combined with the fact that J&J is studying whether a 2nd shot would boost immunity even further makes me :shrug: whether I would have been better off with one of the others.

With kids back in school, our state loosening restrictions ....... I'm feeling VERY thankful I got one at all. Now I need to decide what to do about my kids - dd1 is 15.5 - by the time there are shots available, she'll be 16.

I'm super scared about long term health effects of covid on them. :( In some ways, I think the long term effects of covid can be worse than dying if that makes any sense.

carolinamama
03-03-2021, 11:35 AM
It's hard for people to not fixate on that number. Every scientist is trained, and trained again, and reminded constantly throughout their careers, to never make cross-trial comparisons. Differences between how studies were conducted, the patient population, how endpoints were measured, and a whole bunch of other things contribute to differences in results.

In the US, I think the number for J&J is actually 72% (efficacy = protection against moderate/severe disease). Moderna and Pfizer measured efficacy differently ("symptomatic infection", I think). Those are two VERY different measures of efficacy. Also remember that the J&J study was conducted during the time period of emerging variants. The difference in circulating virus pool alone could make a big impact on efficacy. If you consider that the J&J study enrolled patients with these variants and STILL came out ahead with an efficacy rate of 72% in the US, that's FANTASTIC. I guarantee you if the Moderna and Pfizer studies were done at the exact same time as the J&J study, the results would be different.

All that's to say...get the first vaccine offered to you!!! J&J is conducting a study to see if an added booster could boost their efficacy (and in theory, it totally would). Also remember that the J&J vaccine, in trials, offered 100% protection from severe disease 49 days after the single dose tested. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. During a time of circulating variants. That is FANTASTIC, y'all!!!!

eta: I get your concern - and it's why we have to continue mitigation strategies. No matter which vaccine you get, you're at risk of contracting asymptomatic or mild disease and we don't know enough about long-term effects. Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I sure as hell still don't want to catch it. Now, I think that being vaccinated gives you a leg up on long covid. This hasn't been proven, but it would make sense that a faster, stronger immune response that takes control of the virus early and prevents it from causing as much damage as a natural infection would also translate to less risk of long-term effects.

Thank you for this. I've read it before but it wasn't sinking in. You are completely correct about the efficacy numbers. I've had my first Pfizer so I'm locked in but DH is eligible as of today. He could likely get the J&J and I'm feeling better about it. I, too, am most afraid of long covid, not death so I truly hope the vaccines will decrease the likelihood.

My state will begin administering J&J today. At yesterday's press conference, the secretary of the state health department said she plans to receive J&J later this week and she's excited about the ease of it being one shot while still being very effective. It's clear she's being strategic about choosing that version and making a big announcement. Based on the press questions she and the governor were getting, a lot of people just don't want it, so state leaders are trying to change the narrative around it.

I'll be able to receive my vaccination at the end of the month, and if the J&J is the first one available to me, I think I'll take it.

I didn't watch the whole press conference and didn't realize she is getting the J&J this week. What a brilliant strategy and I hope other officials do the same. It could really help with J&J acceptance and prevent hold-outs for an mRNA vaccine.

Philly Mom
03-03-2021, 11:35 AM
I also was one of the 'I dont want J&J' and got the pfizer on Monday (Thank you Lord!) Yesterday I read a study that the pfizer isnt working as well in the obese (me) which falls in line with something that my dr said. That combined with the fact that J&J is studying whether a 2nd shot would boost immunity even further makes me :shrug: whether I would have been better off with one of the others.

With kids back in school, our state loosening restrictions ....... I'm feeling VERY thankful I got one at all. Now I need to decide what to do about my kids - dd1 is 15.5 - by the time there are shots available, she'll be 16. I'm super scared about long term health effects on them. :( In some ways, I think the long term effects can be worse than dying if that makes any sense.

Long term impact of the vaccine?? I have listened to interviews with most of the best vaccine experts. All of them agree that with all vaccines, side effects occur within the first month. With these vaccines, they have seen minimal side effects in general. Compared to the side effects of Covid, Covid is much more likely to cause long term impacts.

Liziz
03-03-2021, 11:56 AM

With kids back in school, our state loosening restrictions ....... I'm feeling VERY thankful I got one at all. Now I need to decide what to do about my kids - dd1 is 15.5 - by the time there are shots available, she'll be 16. I'm super scared about long term health effects on them. :( In some ways, I think the long term effects can be worse than dying if that makes any sense.

I'm not clear which "long term health effects" you're worried about, but I am definitely worried about long term health effects of COVID, which is why I will absolutely get my kids vaccinated as soon as they're able (they're young, so not yet). As I was explaining to my father, who was originally against getting a vaccine at all b/c he was worried about unknown long-term effects of the vaccine:

1. We KNOW COVID can cause long-term, potentially life-altering side effects. It's rare, but we know it is happening.
2. We have zero evidence or reliable reason to think that the vaccines will cause long-term, life-altering side effects. That's not 100% certainty, but it's what we know now.
3. We have no reliable way to indefinitely make choices that will keep us 100% safe from COVID. This is not a disease like an STD, where you could say "well, I'm worried about this disease, but as long as I abstain from sex and sharing needles I'm totally safe from it, therefore can avoid the disease"

Given those three factors, I see it as a "There's a small chance anything can be detrimental. There's an absolutely known, unavoidable risk that COVID can be detrimental. There's an unproven risk that the vaccine can be detrimental. Given that I don't have any mechanism to completely avoid risk in this situation, I will choose the potential risk of the vaccine over the known risk of the disease".

So that's why I'm already vaccinated, and my kids will get it when they're eligible too!

specialp
03-03-2021, 11:56 AM
From Feb, a what we know: https://www.chop.edu/news/long-term-side-effects-covid-19-vaccine

gymnbomb
03-03-2021, 12:17 PM
Long term impact of the vaccine?? I have listened to interviews with most of the best vaccine experts. All of them agree that with all vaccines, side effects occur within the first month. With these vaccines, they have seen minimal side effects in general. Compared to the side effects of Covid, Covid is much more likely to cause long term impacts.

I had read it as long-term effects of Covid.

AnnieW625
03-03-2021, 12:39 PM
I plan on having my kids vaccinated as soon as it is available. I would rather have my kids vaccinated than take a chance with the potential long term effects of covid.

In my county you could pick as it was listed next to the site. Blue Shield is taking over California’s distribution of all vaccines tomorrow so I have no idea if that will be the norm again. I was in group 1C based on my job (non emergency but essential government employee....I can also be classified as finance) and I have asthma on my medical records; however 1C no longer includes my job category so I am just hoping that my asthma condition keeps me in the 1C category. I am also hoping that the change in vaccine delivery doesn’t screw everything up because vaccination in my county of approximately 3 million people seems to be working quite well.

I am not picky about the vaccine but my sister and dad who had Moderna said they had the flu like symptoms about 12 hours afterward. My sister said she is just planning to take the day off after she has her second shot. My mom also had Moderna and had no side effects. My 91 year old Grandma had Pfizer and had no side effects.

doberbrat
03-03-2021, 02:47 PM
Long term impact of the vaccine?? Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

No -long term impact of covid. I'll be honest, I Am also worried about stuff cropping up from the vaccines long term... but I'm Much more worried about long term impact of covid. Esp for dd2 who had RSV x2 & pneumonia x3 before the age of 5!! But it will be years before she is eligible for a vaccine.

gatorsmom
03-03-2021, 02:48 PM
From Feb, a what we know: https://www.chop.edu/news/long-term-side-effects-covid-19-vaccine

Thank you very much! This is really helpful and reassuring.

NCGrandma
03-03-2021, 02:53 PM
To continue the slightly OT discussion about choosing which vaccine to get and why ... I’m intrigued by this, because there are analogies with influenza vaccines: in most years, there are a variety of different flu vaccines, covering various anticipated strains of flu, different dosages, maybe other differences that might make one better than another for a particular person. In general, though, the recommendation is to take whichever flu vaccine is most easily available. (I am not equating influenza with covid19 in terms of severity of illness etc, just talking about the vaccination process.)

I’m seeing lots of recommendations from public health leaders and others that people should take whichever Covid19 vaccine they can get most readily. At least in my immediate area, I’m not aware of the various vaccine sources advertising which one they are offering. But maybe in some areas, this is more common.

As an old public health student, I personally hope that the single shot J&J vaccine will be targeted to areas where — because of transportation issues, inadequate numbers of health workers, etc — the two-dose series will be much harder to carry out. I live in a resource-rich part of the state, but I had colleagues who worked in rural parts of the state where the challenges of providing even fairly basic health care were quite daunting.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
03-03-2021, 03:52 PM
As an old public health student, I personally hope that the single shot J&J vaccine will be targeted to areas where — because of transportation issues, inadequate numbers of health workers, etc — the two-dose series will be much harder to carry out. I live in a resource-rich part of the state, but I had colleagues who worked in rural parts of the state where the challenges of providing even fairly basic health care were quite daunting.

I am hoping this too from a public health standpoint. The more people we vaccinate, the better, and the easier we make it for those who have real struggles with access, the better. I worry though that it won't be done that way because many people view it (rightly or wrongly) as inferior to pfizer/moderna, and the image may be that they're giving the "lesser" shot to those in disadvantaged populations.

dogmom
03-03-2021, 04:56 PM
We were just talking about this at work the other day. The children’s hospital in our city have see a steady, slow flow of pediatric patients with bad cases of Covid or the Inflammation response that happens later. Not huge numbers, but they have never gone away completely. Of course certain populations are suffering more. So I don’t think the numbers are high, but if it is your kid who cares.

My 18 will probably get vaccinated before my DH since he works in a grocery store. My 14 yo will get it as soon as one is approved for him.

Kestrel
03-03-2021, 06:07 PM
As a side note - my cousin who is an paramedic and his wife who is a PA decided to get vaccinated, but to get different brands. So, hopefully, if something happens with side effects, it will only be to one of them.

I think DH and I will probably do the same. I'm still torn about DS, and very, very glad he can stay home remote schooling and we don't have to decide yet.

georgiegirl
03-03-2021, 08:45 PM
As a side note - my cousin who is an paramedic and his wife who is a PA decided to get vaccinated, but to get different brands. So, hopefully, if something happens with side effects, it will only be to one of them.

I think DH and I will probably do the same. I'm still torn about DS, and very, very glad he can stay home remote schooling and we don't have to decide yet.

There are more side effects reported with Moderna from the initial trials. Anecdotal evidence from everyone I know who got the vaccine supports this finding. Second Moderna shot generally has more intense side effects than Pfizer shot.

JustMe
03-03-2021, 08:54 PM
I also do not know what the stats are for long haulers with kids, but am not willing to risk it for my 15 year old with asthma. We intend to continue to be very careful until he is vaccinated, including after the rest of us are. I am hoping he will be vaccinated by early fall (wish it was summer, but trying to be realistic).

wencit
03-03-2021, 08:55 PM
There are more side effects reported with Moderna from the initial trials. Anecdotal evidence from everyone I know who got the vaccine supports this finding. Second Moderna shot generally has more intense side effects than Pfizer shot. Moderna contains 100mcg of vaccine per dose, whereas Pfizer contains 30mcg of vaccine per dose. I wonder if that explains the more intense reactions to the Moderna vaccine.

MSWR0319
03-03-2021, 09:19 PM
Moderna contains 100mcg of vaccine per dose, whereas Pfizer contains 30mcg of vaccine per dose. I wonder if that explains the more intense reactions to the Moderna vaccine.

This is what I was wondering too. My MIL gets her second dose of Moderna tomorrow. My mom gets her second dose of Pfizer next week. I'm curious to see how each react.

I've also heard that the younger you are the more robust your immune system reacts, so I'm curious to see if that plays into this. I have a friend who is a NP and had a very intense reaction to the Moderna vaccine. She said she was in bed for 36 hours which strong aches, chills, fever, and fatigue. She questioned if it was the right choice until she found out none of her co-workers who also got it reacted that strongly. One of my friends in her late 20's gets her second dose of Moderna in a few weeks. I'm interested in seeing how she reacts.

wendibird22
03-03-2021, 09:49 PM

There are more side effects reported with Moderna from the initial trials. Anecdotal evidence from everyone I know who got the vaccine supports this finding. Second Moderna shot generally has more intense side effects than Pfizer shot.

This is what I was wondering too. My MIL gets her second dose of Moderna tomorrow. My mom gets her second dose of Pfizer next week. I'm curious to see how each react.

I've also heard that the younger you are the more robust your immune system reacts, so I'm curious to see if that plays into this. I have a friend who is a NP and had a very intense reaction to the Moderna vaccine. She said she was in bed for 36 hours which strong aches, chills, fever, and fatigue. She questioned if it was the right choice until she found out none of her co-workers who also got it reacted that strongly. One of my friends in her late 20's gets her second dose of Moderna in a few weeks. I'm interested in seeing how she reacts.

DH got Pfizer and I got Moderna...not intentionally, just got vaxed at different locations. I had a reaction to the 2nd Moderna dose (aches, headache). DH said he was thirsty all day after dose 2 of Pfizer, but was otherwise fine.

And I've heard the same thing about reaction strength based on age to Moderna too, and yet my mom who is in her early 70s got Moderna and had intense chills and body aches to her bones for several hours after dose 2. I know someone two people in their early 50s who both had no reaction to Moderna. So, while the "older you are the less intense" might still be true on the whole, I know people who had the opposite experience.

A coworker and I were talking and she's one that had no reaction to either dose of Moderna and she wondered if there's any correlation between how one reacts to the vaccine and how that person would react if they contracted COVID. So, she had no reaction to the vaccine, would she likely then have been an asymptomatic COVID pos person? I thought that was an interesting thing to ponder.

georgiegirl
03-03-2021, 10:04 PM

My dad got his second dose of Pfizer one day before my stepmom got her second dose of Moderna. My dad had zero side effects (other than sore arm). Stepmom had low grade fever, body aches, and headache. MIL got second moderna dose a few days after them, and she had fever, body aches, chills, headache, and fatigue. DH had Pfizer and just fatigue and headache after second Pfizer dose. DH works with younger people in his department, and some bad some pretty bad side effects. Most had moderna since it was what was offered during weeks 3-5.

Another thing we’ve observed anecdotally is that people who had covid had a very strong reaction to the first dose (of both Pfizer and moderna). This has been the case with 4 people we know. It was so bad that one of DH’s parters actually called another coworker he knew who had had covid and told them to hold off of their vaccine. He said it was worse than covid.

MSWR0319
03-03-2021, 10:22 PM
A coworker and I were talking and she's one that had no reaction to either dose of Moderna and she wondered if there's any correlation between how one reacts to the vaccine and how that person would react if they contracted COVID. So, she had no reaction to the vaccine, would she likely then have been an asymptomatic COVID pos person? I thought that was an interesting thing to ponder.

DH and I had this discussion after my friend had such a strong reaction. I wondered if that meant she would have had a bad case of covid.

ang79
03-03-2021, 11:17 PM
In speaking with my niece tonight who is working as an occupational therapist with preschool children, she said she has not gotten the vaccine yet because of initial concerns that the vaccines in young, child bearing age women can cause difficulty conceiving later on? She also has endometriosis I think, so has concerns in general about the ability to get pregnant and doesn't want to complicate things farther. Is there any new research on this?

KrisM
03-03-2021, 11:45 PM

There was a story on the radio today about a doctor in mid-Michigan who drives vaccines to more rural areas every few days. It's 3 hours one-way. Part of the issue is the temperature needed to store so they can't get more than they can use that day. He was excited to get the J&J sent to them since it doesn't need the super low temperatures for storage.

KpbS
03-03-2021, 11:46 PM
I heard an article recently about MISC, the inflammatory syndrome in kids post-Covid. It is on the rise although they do not understand why and it most often affects black and latino children.

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/14/967807224/coronavirus-cases-are-down-but-more-kids-are-having-severe-complications

Fauci stated, "post-COVID syndrome could last anywhere from weeks to months and that even in asymptomatic COVID-19 patients, about 60% have some indication of inflammation of the heart."
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article248174095.html#storylink=cpy

Some children and adults are also developing POTS, a form of dysautonomia, a chronic condition
https://www.whio.com/news/post-covid-diagnosis-could-lead-long-term-nervous-system-effects/EZDBJUNUSNHMTCV2BQWC3EMWKU/

and Almost 50% of Mild Covid-19 patients have Symptoms 6 Months Later
https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglatter/2021/02/23/almost-50-of-mild-covid-19-patients-still-have-symptoms-6-months-later-study-finds/?sh=5b36447f563f

3isEnough
03-04-2021, 12:18 AM

DH and I did the same, unintentionally. He received Pfizer and I received Moderna. I had hoped for Pfizer, but as I sat in the observation room after the shot I realized the upside is that if one of the brands has any unexpected side effects, only one of us will get them. I received the 1st Moderna shot only 2 days ago and I had very minimal pain in my arm (like any shot), but I’m kind of dreading the next one based on what I’ve heard about Moderna #2.

We’ve been extremely careful and very shutdown during quarantine. Two weeks ago we decided to do antibody tests on all of us just to see where we were at. To our complete shock, both my teen boys had COVID antibodies. We have no idea when they had COVID or where they might have contracted it. Neither me nor DD had them. I’m still dumbfounded how my boys contracted it given they’ve had very little contact with others, and that the rest of us didn’t contract it from them. The most disappointing part of it is that they both have congenital heart defects (one DS much more serious than the other). Out of all of the people in my family, they are the 2 who we hoped most wouldn’t contract it. I’m hoping they won’t have any long term impacts on their hearts. The one with the more serious heart condition has his regular echocardiogram in 2 weeks, so I’ll be anxiously awaiting those results.

smilequeen
03-04-2021, 11:25 AM
DH and I did the same, unintentionally. He received Pfizer and I received Moderna. I had hoped for Pfizer, but as I sat in the observation room after the shot I realized the upside is that if one of the brands has any unexpected side effects, only one of us will get them. I received the 1st Moderna shot only 2 days ago and I had very minimal pain in my arm (like any shot), but I’m kind of dreading the next one based on what I’ve heard about Moderna #2.

We’ve been extremely careful and very shutdown during quarantine. Two weeks ago we decided to do antibody tests on all of us just to see where we were at. To our complete shock, both my teen boys had COVID antibodies. We have no idea when they had COVID or where they might have contracted it. Neither me nor DD had them. I’m still dumbfounded how my boys contracted it given they’ve had very little contact with others, and that the rest of us didn’t contract it from them. The most disappointing part of it is that they both have congenital heart defects (one DS much more serious than the other). Out of all of the people in my family, they are the 2 who we hoped most wouldn’t contract it. I’m hoping they won’t have any long term impacts on their hearts. The one with the more serious heart condition has his regular echocardiogram in 2 weeks, so I’ll be anxiously awaiting those results.

I will say that we had the same, DH got Pfizer and I got Moderna. First shot, just a sore arm, maybe a little tired. I had my 2nd Moderna on Tuesday and it's kind of knocked me on my butt. Not as bad as some, but I've been exhausted, had the chills, and am just achy, slept a lot yesterday. Better today, but not feeling normal yet. My good friend had a fever for 2 days. Another friend had no side effects from the 2nd Moderna though. DH had no side effects other than the sore arm either time. Knowing about the Moderna shot, I made sure my schedule was clear for the 2 days after my 2nd. Glad I did.

AnnieW625
03-04-2021, 12:10 PM
I will say that we had the same, DH got Pfizer and I got Moderna. First shot, just a sore arm, maybe a little tired. I had my 2nd Moderna on Tuesday and it's kind of knocked me on my butt. Not as bad as some, but I've been exhausted, had the chills, and am just achy, slept a lot yesterday. Better today, but not feeling normal yet. My good friend had a fever for 2 days. Another friend had no side effects from the 2nd Moderna though. DH had no side effects other than the sore arm either time. Knowing about the Moderna shot, I made sure my schedule was clear for the 2 days after my 2nd. Glad I did.

My sister’s Moderna side effects for the first shot were similar to yours for your second, and she made sure she says that she will make sure to take the next day off.

Percycat
03-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Twowhat --- thank you for explaining the vaccines. Based on my state's current implementation plan, my kids and I are in the last group to get the vaccine.... I don't think I will have a choice... now I am less upset.

MSWR0319
03-04-2021, 03:38 PM
Some children and adults are also developing POTS, a form of dysautonomia, a chronic condition
https://www.whio.com/news/post-covid-diagnosis-could-lead-long-term-nervous-system-effects/EZDBJUNUSNHMTCV2BQWC3EMWKU/

This is interesting. I was just in the ER with DS this morning because he passed out shortly after standing up. Two months ago we were at a checkup for sleep apnea and the dr looked at him and said "Do you get dizzy when you stand up?" DS said yes, as he had been mentioning it to me fairly often lately and I thought he was dehydrated. The dr said he probably had a mild case of POTS, as it's normal for kids going through puberty who have had growth spurts recently to develop it short term. He thought he'd outgrow it when his blood volume caught up. I honestly have no idea what even made him ask that question, maybe he saw something when he looked at DS? Or maybe it's a normal question for kids his age? But now I'm wondering since it came on kinda out of no where if we should get a covid antibody test just to see if we've had it. It wouldn't change anything, but I'm a curious person and I wonder if he could have had covid and this is a side effect. He has grown 6" in about 10 months and he is in puberty so I'm sure that's not it, but my brain thinks too much ;) If I had seen this before I would have asked them to check his antibodies when they ran blood work.

3isEnough
03-05-2021, 12:05 AM

Ugh, I’m dreading the 2d shot. I’m still very grateful to get the vax, I just hope it doesn’t knock me out! I plan to clear my calendar for a day or 2 just in case.

specialp
03-05-2021, 09:11 AM
In speaking with my niece tonight who is working as an occupational therapist with preschool children, she said she has not gotten the vaccine yet because of initial concerns that the vaccines in young, child bearing age women can cause difficulty conceiving later on? She also has endometriosis I think, so has concerns in general about the ability to get pregnant and doesn't want to complicate things farther. Is there any new research on this?

The CDC discusses it in the myth portion (last paragraph) (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html), here is a joint statement by obstectrics/reproductive medicine/MFM groups (https://www.acog.org/news/news-releases/2021/02/medical-experts-assert-covid-vaccines-do-not-impact-fertility), and a general overview on how this concern arose (and then spiraled out) is here at WebMD (https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210112/why-covid-vaccines-are-falsely-linked-to-infertility). It’s important to understand the background (similar, but not same, genetic coding of portion of protein in the virus and protein in the placenta) to wrap your head around why, without trials on the specific issue, they believe if there was a concern, it would be glaringly obvious by now in the millions and millions of fertile age women who have had antibodies either from being sick with Covid or the vaccine. There are trials now on pregnancy which will necessarily contribute data (because pregnancy/need a placenta) to the discussion and go a long way to reducing hesitancy, imo, because while there were women who became pregnant in the initial pfizer and Moderna trials, the mean age of participants was around 53 and you had to not be pregnant to participate. I’ve read about a study in process out of Miami but it may be limited to male infertility.

People who already have a fertility challenge and are concerned have a special place in my heart and I really fear them being lumped into a tin foil hat club by showing concern. It’s been a long time for me, but there’s absolutely no one more aware and/or paranoid about what one put’s in her body, from food to medication, than someone dealing with RPL or infertility.

trales
03-05-2021, 07:35 PM
My mom and MIL had the Moderna with zero side effects at all. I was shocked b/c my mother claims to have all the side effects from Tylenol and did not even get a sore arm. She was more tired than usual she says. . . So, I think that every person is so different, just like the virus, who knows what will happen when you get it. Could be nothing, could be everything.

mom2binsd
03-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Ugh, I’m dreading the 2d shot. I’m still very grateful to get the vax, I just hope it doesn’t knock me out! I plan to clear my calendar for a day or 2 just in case.

I know so many people who have had both, and the side effects have been none to minimal for all but one (I work in a nursing home and have many friends in the industry, so I'd say hundreds of people)so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you can take those days it's great, but probably not necessary. We were glad it didn't impact us and we all got it on the same day (the pharmacy comes to the nursing homes to give the vaccine).

3isEnough
03-06-2021, 12:41 PM
I know so many people who have had both, and the side effects have been none to minimal for all but one (I work in a nursing home and have many friends in the industry, so I'd say hundreds of people)so I wouldn't be too concerned. If you can take those days it's great, but probably not necessary. We were glad it didn't impact us and we all got it on the same day (the pharmacy comes to the nursing homes to give the vaccine).

Thanks, I’m probably overthinking it. I normally tolerate all vaccines and medicines well so I’m sure the 2d Moderna will be fine ��

twowhat?
03-06-2021, 01:11 PM
I'd clear your calendar for the day after the shot if you can but really there's no way to tell what kind of reaction you'll have, if any. My entire family all had Pfizer and I'm the only one who was knocked down by the second dose (like, I felt REALLY bad - shaking chills, all-over body aches, swollen lymph nodes...). My MIL had Moderna and had a mild fever and fatigue the day after the second dose, but that's it.

I will say that despite feeling like I was hit by a bus, I have never been so happy to feel so sick :) I have a sedentary computer job, so I powered through the next day (I'm sure it wasn't my best work but I also didn't want to take the day off given past lack of compassion for taking sick days...). So you could power through if you had a desk job maybe. :) I felt totally back to normal after 36 hours but did have some lingering fatigue all week, which I can't attribute to the vaccine because my allergies were also really bad with the joys of mountain cedar.

I have never been so happy to feel so sick!!! LOL!!! I am sure my kids thought I was crazy...

MSWR0319
03-06-2021, 02:44 PM
I'd clear your calendar for the day after the shot if you can but really there's no way to tell what kind of reaction you'll have, if any. My entire family all had Pfizer and I'm the only one who was knocked down by the second dose (like, I felt REALLY bad - shaking chills, all-over body aches, swollen lymph nodes...). My MIL had Moderna and had a mild fever and fatigue the day after the second dose, but that's it.

I will say that despite feeling like I was hit by a bus, I have never been so happy to feel so sick :) I have a sedentary computer job, so I powered through the next day (I'm sure it wasn't my best work but I also didn't want to take the day off given past lack of compassion for taking sick days...). So you could power through if you had a desk job maybe. :) I felt totally back to normal after 36 hours but did have some lingering fatigue all week, which I can't attribute to the vaccine because my allergies were also really bad with the joys of mountain cedar.

I have never been so happy to feel so sick!!! LOL!!! I am sure my kids thought I was crazy...

Did you have any reaction with the first shot? I got Pfizer Thursday night (the pharmacy had a left over that was going to be thrown away!) and my arm hurt when I woke up. My noon yesterday I was starting to feel sick. No fever, just that chilly, lethargic dull headache I’m gonna get sick feeling. Nothing I couldn’t power through, and it passed after a few hours but still made me wonder what I’m in for with my second shot.

twowhat?
03-06-2021, 02:46 PM
Did you have any reaction with the first shot? I got Pfizer Thursday night (the pharmacy had a left over that was going to be thrown away!) and my arm hurt when I woke up. My noon yesterday I was starting to feel sick. No fever, just that chilly, lethargic dull headache I’m gonna get sick feeling. Nothing I couldn’t power through, and it passed after a few hours but still made me wonder what I’m in for with my second shot.

I had a sore arm with my first shot and that's it. Every person is different though, so who knows!!

billysmommy
03-06-2021, 03:34 PM
DH and I had Moderna. With my first shot I just had a sore arm, similar to how it felt with the tetanus booster. With the second, my arm wasn’t as sore. The next day I felt a little “off” like the day before you get a bad cold but had no issues working. By that night I was fine except a little more tired than usual for a couple days but just went to bed a little earlier than usual.
DH was similar for the first shot. The second he had a mild headache the next day but that was it. He saw a full load of patients that day without issue.

twowhat?
03-11-2021, 10:21 AM
A new study came out yesterday on long COVID. It's an adult study (not kids) but I would think the findings would roughly translate to kids as well, though with kids in general being at much lower risk of severe disease/long COVID.

This study found that women, older age, and asthma were significantly associated with long COVID. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01292-y

This doesn't make me feel any better since in my mind this keeps my kids in a "higher risk" group since they have asthma, although overall they are "lower risk" simply by being kids. Ugh, the pediatric vaccines cannot come soon enough.

gatorsmom
03-11-2021, 11:44 AM
A new study came out yesterday on long COVID. It's an adult study (not kids) but I would think the findings would roughly translate to kids as well, though with kids in general being at much lower risk of severe disease/long COVID.

This study found that women, older age, and asthma were significantly associated with long COVID. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-021-01292-y

This doesn't make me feel any better since in my mind this keeps my kids in a "higher risk" group since they have asthma, although overall they are "lower risk" simply by being kids. Ugh, the pediatric vaccines cannot come soon enough.

Thank you for posting this. What I found interesting is that statistics showed that individuals with 5 symptoms (fatigue, headache, dyspnea, hoarse voice and myalgia) in the first week of infection indicated a greater likelihood of covid symptoms lasting greater than 28 days. This is both men and women.

Im very impatiently waiting for studies of stats on children. Our boys scout troop made the sloppy decision of having winter survival camp meeting this past weekend. They all slept inside together in bunkbeds. One of them had covid so now everyone is scrambling to get tested. I insisted that DH attend with Ds and that they not stay overnight and spend most of their time outside. When inside they were the only ones wearing masks. Now I’m being hailed as the “smart parent” of the group. But when they take these risks and my family doesn’t and everyone comes out healthy we are frowned on as “the difficult family.”
Why can’t all adults just grow up? :irked:

wendibird22
03-11-2021, 12:27 PM

Same here. It was a work from home day for me and so I worked from the couch and periodically took 20min naps.

lizzywednesday
03-11-2021, 01:08 PM
If there was a congenital heart defect they didn't know about? ...

Per DD's cardiologist this past September, children with congenital heart defect/disease at CHOP have not been impacted more by COVID-19, even the ones who require hospitalization whenever they are ill.

I didn't read the Cleveland Clinic link upthread, but did poke around CHOP's site to find information that might help OP:

From March 2021 - CHOP Experts Discuss COVID-19 Hot Topics: https://www.chop.edu/news/leaders-across-children-s-hospital-philadelphia-discuss-covid-19-hot-topics

From March 2021 - Podcast Episode Discussing Cardiac Complications of COVID-19 in Children: https://www.chop.edu/health-resources/cardiac-complications-covid-19-children-podcast

From November 2020 - COVID-19 in Children is "Typically" Mild: https://www.chop.edu/news/study-involving-seven-major-children-s-hospitals-shows-covid-19-typically-mild-children

From August 2020 - CHOP Podcast Series on COVID-19 Topics: https://www.chop.edu/news/children-s-hospital-philadelphia-president-and-ceo-releases-special-covid-19-podcast-series

From July 2020 - MIS-C Differs from Long-COVID in Children: https://www.chop.edu/news/chop-researchers-show-mis-c-different-severe-covid-19-children

From June 2020 - Susceptibility of Children to COVID-19: https://www.chop.edu/news/journals-susceptibility-children-covid-19

Dayzy
03-11-2021, 02:11 PM
DH was able to get the J&J vaccine yesterday morning as NYC is giving that one overnight. As of today, his only reaction is a sore arm. He willingly chose the J&J because appointments for the others are booking into May now at the state run sites nearby and getting an appointment through the county is like winning the lotto.

essnce629
03-11-2021, 02:16 PM
TWIV talked about long covid in kids this week! They said the most recent studies are showing that 22% of adults and 13% of kids under the age of 12 are suffering from long covid. They didn't have stats on kids older than 12.

gatorsmom
03-11-2021, 02:30 PM
TWIV talked about long covid in kids this week! They said the most recent studies are showing that 22% of adults and 13% of kids under the age of 12 are suffering from long covid. They didn't have stats on kids older than 12.

Can you tell me which date they was discussed? I’d really like to hear/read it. I did a quick search of TWIV and didn’t see a headline referring to it.

Globetrotter
03-11-2021, 03:13 PM

DS and I have asthma. I get an asthma flare-up after any lung infection and it lasts for a long time, which is why I’m terrified of getting Covid. Unfortunately we don’t qualify for vaccines yet in CA.

gatorsmom
03-11-2021, 03:33 PM
In looking for the TWIV podcast Latia mentioned, I did find this: https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/could-covid-19-trigger-chronic-disease-in-some-people-67749.

Has anyone here heard the theory that Longcovid symptoms are a result of too much carbon monoxide that is not released quickly enough from the body? I read buried in a comment section of a science article: “to this toxicologist, the acute symptoms of COVID19 in the infectious phase are caused by quickly rising levels of carbon monoxide from the breakdown of heme proteins- and the chronic Long Haul (post infectious) symptoms are caused by slowing falling levels of CO coming out of muscles and organs (into which CO is absorbed from arterial plasma during infection). This leaves COVID19 survivors with venous CO greater than arterial, which is abnormal and unhealthy unless you are pregnant or premenstrual and women know how the feels. After any infection, chronic CO poisoning of tissues can last months or years until venous CO is no longer chronically greater than arterial, and waking temperature is no longer abnormally low (caused by CO impairing oxygen metabolism in tissues)."

I've searched for related articles about this theory and found nothing except a study in China which found a link between COVID and a type of anemia.

MSWR0319
03-11-2021, 03:48 PM

Thanks for sharing! Both of my kids have asthma also so this still makes me want to be extra careful. I just had a friend tell me that her kids' pediatrician ran part of the Pfizer 12-15 study. The shot part of the study was completed a few months ago so now they're just waiting to see what blood results look like. They are currently expecting the vaccine to be approved for that age group late spring/early summer. I'm crossing my fingers that they are correct! I want my son to get the shot so badly. Then comes the fun part of trying to find it since it wold have to be Pfizer.

I have a friend currently fighting long Covid. She got it over New Year's and said when she lays down at night she can't breathe at all. She just went back to the doctor again to get another inhaler. It's also suspected that she had Covid last year around late Jan/Feb before we really knew what it was. She had the exact same symptoms but worse. When she went in for this appointment her dr looked back at her records and told her she's almost positive that's what it was. She had it the first time for almost 4 months before the symptoms went away.

georgiegirl
03-11-2021, 04:00 PM
DS and I have asthma. I get an asthma flare-up after any lung infection and it lasts for a long time, which is why I’m terrified of getting Covid. Unfortunately we don’t qualify for vaccines yet in CA.

I get asthma after respiratory infections (and I was hospitalized with pneumonia during H1N1), and fortunately that was enough for me to qualify in my state.

essnce629
03-11-2021, 04:18 PM
Can you tell me which date they was discussed? I’d really like to hear/read it. I did a quick search of TWIV and didn’t see a headline referring to it.It's an extremely short blip (1 min) from episode 727, which is the weekly Clinical Update. It starts at the 25:30 minute mark.

JustMe
03-11-2021, 06:45 PM
The vaccine for kids/teens cannot come fast enough for me. I just won't feel okay until my 15 year old with asthma is vaccinated.

nfceagles
03-11-2021, 08:35 PM
Eager to get my 15yo with asthma, food allergies, and EoE vaccinated too. He turns 16 late July so should qualify by then. DD will be 13 by then and hopefully will be able to get it by fall. [emoji1696] It does make the question of how careful to be over the summer difficult. I’m sure many people will not be very careful and my kids will want to join in the fun. I track my town’s daily case rates so I think I’ll use that to decide how much to allow. If my kids were several years younger I’d probably accept that we can’t live like this forever, but when you’re so close and been careful so long it would be frustrating to get COVID before the vaccine.

twowhat?
03-11-2021, 09:15 PM
Eager to get my 15yo with asthma, food allergies, and EoE vaccinated too. He turns 16 late July so should qualify by then. DD will be 13 by then and hopefully will be able to get it by fall. [emoji1696] It does make the question of how careful to be over the summer difficult. I’m sure many people will not be very careful and my kids will want to join in the fun. I track my town’s daily case rates so I think I’ll use that to decide how much to allow. If my kids were several years younger I’d probably accept that we can’t live like this forever, but when you’re so close and been careful so long it would be frustrating to get COVID before the vaccine.

This is definitely a part of my angst!! I feel like we've been so careful for so long and our kids potentially so close to getting vaccinated plus have risk factors...I just don't think I'd be ok with them getting covid now if we can minimize the risks...argh!! Our state is also now requiring kids to take the standardized tests in person...I just can't even. I think we can opt out, but I'm waiting to see what safety precautions our district can put in place for testing. If it sounds reasonable, then I might just have my kids wear KN95s or KF95s and go take it. Or, I'll opt out. Ugh.

MSWR0319
03-11-2021, 09:52 PM
This is definitely a part of my angst!! I feel like we've been so careful for so long and our kids potentially so close to getting vaccinated plus have risk factors...I just don't think I'd be ok with them getting covid now if we can minimize the risks...argh!! Our state is also now requiring kids to take the standardized tests in person...I just can't even. I think we can opt out, but I'm waiting to see what safety precautions our district can put in place for testing. If it sounds reasonable, then I might just have my kids wear KN95s or KF95s and go take it. Or, I'll opt out. Ugh.

I just opted out for my kids. Cases are starting to rise again in our area and since we're doing an online public school it's kids from all over at the testing center and I just don't want to chance it. In theory their protocol sounded ok if DS wore a KF94 but I don't know if they'll follow what they say. My friends all think we're crazy for being careful, but we're so close to getting shots in arms and I don't want to get it now. DS2 always has bad asthma flares even with a cold and DS1's asthma is silent until it's not and then it's worse than we think. My friend sent me a text yesterday that said "When can you come out and play?" since we haven't been socializing with anyone all winter.

Globetrotter
03-11-2021, 11:15 PM
There’s no way I would send my kids to take state standardized tests in person, unless there was a direct disadvantage to them if they skipped it.
I might have considered doing ACT/SAT or something that would affect them directly, with precautions. Fortunately ds did all his before Covid, or it would have been a real dilemma for us.

MommyAllison
03-12-2021, 01:32 PM
Can you tell me which date they was discussed? I’d really like to hear/read it. I did a quick search of TWIV and didn’t see a headline referring to it.

It was also discussed on TWIV on episode 727, Dr. Griffin's clinical update #52.

bisous
03-13-2021, 03:56 PM
Shoot, the latest TWIV is pretty damning on the evidence of long COVID incidences in kids. Check out just the first ten minutes of 730.

I'm not sure what the right answer is. I think my plan going forward is still to limit risk but to do so smartly so my kids can do the "normal" things like school and visiting grandparents.

Has anyone else listened?

MSWR0319
03-13-2021, 04:40 PM
Shoot, the latest TWIV is pretty damning on the evidence of long COVID incidences in kids. Check out just the first ten minutes of 730.

I'm not sure what the right answer is. I think my plan going forward is still to limit risk but to do so smartly so my kids can do the "normal" things like school and visiting grandparents.

Has anyone else listened?

Dumb question, I'm fully aware of that :) How do I listen to this? I don't even know where to go. DH and I were literally talking about this 10 minutes ago because our whole town is pretty much in Florida this coming week because we are on Spring Break. I'm a bit concerned with how much covid they will bring back and DH said "Well, there's not much evidence that it's affecting the kids much."

PZMommy
03-13-2021, 05:01 PM
Dumb question, I'm fully aware of that :) How do I listen to this? I don't even know where to go. DH and I were literally talking about this 10 minutes ago because our whole town is pretty much in Florida this coming week because we are on Spring Break. I'm a bit concerned with how much covid they will bring back and DH said "Well, there's not much evidence that it's affecting the kids much."

Cases of MIS-C in kids are rising quickly here in LA, which makes sense given the surge we are just coming out of plus it affects Latinos at a 75% higher rate. 16 new cases were diagnosed last week, including a child under 12 who died. This is according to the LA public health department. We had a 15 year old from a neighboring school district die from it after he had a “mild” case of covid. I really hate when they say kids aren’t affected by covid.

bisous
03-13-2021, 05:05 PM

It’s a podcast called “This week in virology”. It’s technical and it’s long! I can’t get my family into it. But maybe just try listening to the first 10 minutes or so of episode 730. Do you know how to listen to podcasts?

MSWR0319
03-13-2021, 05:54 PM
It’s a podcast called “This week in virology”. It’s technical and it’s long! I can’t get my family into it. But maybe just try listening to the first 10 minutes or so of episode 730. Do you know how to listen to podcasts?

I don't know how to listen to podcasts, but was able to google it and find it to listen on their website. Not sure if that's the right way, but it worked! Thanks for sharing!

essnce629
03-13-2021, 06:21 PM
Dumb question, I'm fully aware of that :) How do I listen to this? I don't even know where to go. DH and I were literally talking about this 10 minutes ago because our whole town is pretty much in Florida this coming week because we are on Spring Break. I'm a bit concerned with how much covid they will bring back and DH said "Well, there's not much evidence that it's affecting the kids much."I have the Podcast Addict app on my phone and I listen to it through there. Get the app and search "This Week in Virology." I connect my phone through Bluetooth to my Amazon Show and listen while I'm cooking dinner.

niccig
03-13-2021, 07:37 PM
Cases of MIS-C in kids are rising quickly here in LA, which makes sense given the surge we are just coming out of plus it affects Latinos at a 75% higher rate. 16 new cases were diagnosed last week, including a child under 12 who died. This is according to the LA public health department. We had a 15 year old from a neighboring school district die from it after he had a “mild” case of covid. I really hate when they say kids aren’t affected by covid.

I’ve worked with pediatric patients here in LA with MIS-C. No prior significant medical history either. Not good at all

KpbS
03-14-2021, 01:09 AM
I don't know how to listen to podcasts, but was able to google it and find it to listen on their website. Not sure if that's the right way, but it worked! Thanks for sharing!

MSWR0319 you aren’t the only one. :waving4:

specialp
03-14-2021, 08:49 AM
MSWR0319 you aren’t the only one. :waving4:

I listen to podcasts almost daily in any spare moment, but in grad school days a million years ago, I swear only the nerdiest people (AKA, my DH) were podcast people. It’s a point of humor in my household now how much grief I gave him back then.

Philly Mom
03-14-2021, 09:39 AM
The TWIV with Paul Offit is a great discussion on vaccines and the impact of COVID on kids. There are risks of Covid in kids and when it is your kid that gets severely sick, who cares about probabilities. However, there are many viruses that probability wise impact our kids to the same or greater degree that we have always accepted including RSV which I know that some of us here have had impact our children negatively.

I would recommend finding a couple interviews with Offit. He is an expert who is not afraid to say that I was wrong when I said... the science shows us now...

dogmom
03-14-2021, 11:06 AM
I read an interesting article that COVID long haul symptoms are not unique to the COVID virus and that many viruses have similar issues. It’s just we have so cases since it’s a new disease what happens the that small percent results in higher numbers and higher visibility. Think of the kids that wound up with flaccid paralysis from an otherwise benign virus.

lizzywednesday
03-14-2021, 02:17 PM
The TWIV with Paul Offit is a great discussion on vaccines and the impact of COVID on kids. ...

I would recommend finding a couple interviews with Offit. He is an expert who is not afraid to say that I was wrong when I said... the science shows us now...

His staff page at CHOP has links to his press clippings:

https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/vaccine-education-center/resources/vaccine-presentations-and-interviews

ang79
03-15-2021, 08:29 PM
There’s no way I would send my kids to take state standardized tests in person, unless there was a direct disadvantage to them if they skipped it.
I might have considered doing ACT/SAT or something that would affect them directly, with precautions. Fortunately ds did all his before Covid, or it would have been a real dilemma for us.

At this point I've said my kids will take the tests. I think (but don't know for sure yet) that they will keep the kids who have been in cyber school separated from the kids who have been in the school and everyone is required to be masked and spaced out. Parents are allowed to drop their students off in the morning and then pick them up when they are done testing before lunch. We only live 5-10 min. from either school so I'm OK with that. I could probably easily pull my 6th grader from taking them, but my 8th grader feels like she should take the PSSA's to practice for her Keystone in Algebra and the school said if she doesn't take the Algebra Keystone this year, she will have to take it next year and due to block scheduling at the high school, that means she may be taking it at a point when she has no math class. And the Keystone's are required for graduation. If my kids were both in elem., I'd opt out, but at this point, fingers crossed that 3 hrs. in the buildings for 5-10 days will not be too bad. Cases were dropping around here and now have kinda flattened out, I'm hoping as teachers and more adults get vaccinated in the next month that the downward trend will pick up. If cases start to rise a lot, I'll see if I can pull them from the PSSA's and just have DD1 do her Keystone exam. I'm still super annoyed that they have to take the tests this year. That's 3 weeks or more of learning time that is being devoted to testing and these kids have missed enough learning time in the past year.

bisous
03-17-2021, 07:07 PM
Lisa, you might want to check out the latest TWIV. It was all about kids and COVID. (Though they spent about 25 minutes or so discussing the weather, lol--I love TWIV but it isn't a quick listen!) It is episode 731 titled "The kids aren't alright".

I also heard the Paul Offit interview on TWIV and I remember walking away with a similar conclusion to PhillyMom. I guess I'm glad that we have a few months until the start of school, though I know many of your are already needing to make decisions! I do think that my oldest (for sure) and my second (13yo) have a strong possibility of getting vaccinated? I really do think that full day school would be good for my littles too. However, the discussion in the latest TWIV WAS fascinating! I think the most interesting takeaway is that many children might only get a positive PCR test for 2 DAYS during the course of an infection, so they are super hard to accurately test. The team thinks that COVID among children is much more pervasive than is being broadcast and the earlier predictions that COVID was not easily spread among children is looking less and less likely.

frugalmom
03-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Just read this article on this topic

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/these-children-had-covid-19-now-they-have-long-haul-symptoms/ar-BB1eIM7k?ocid=msedgntp

bisous
03-18-2021, 11:44 AM
I also wanted to copy the studies cited in the TWIV episode I mentioned, episode 731.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/cid/ciab183/6150026

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7009a4.htm?s_cid=mm7009a4_x

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/962830/s1079-ons-update-on-long-covid-prevalence-estimate.pdf

MSWR0319
03-18-2021, 01:22 PM
Just read this article on this topic

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/these-children-had-covid-19-now-they-have-long-haul-symptoms/ar-BB1eIM7k?ocid=msedgntp

This is interesting to me:
Others report what is known as orthostatic intolerance, meaning they might develop worsening symptoms when they change positions, such as sitting up or standing down.

DS began complaint of seeing black when he stood up a few months ago. The neurologist (he has sleep apnea) said it was probably POTS and he would outgrow it, as it's usually seen in his age group and often after a growth spurt, which DS had grown 6" in about 10 months. He told us that it would probably get better once he blood volume caught up with his growth.

Then he passed out a few weeks ago when he stood up. He kept walking when he saw black instead of waiting for it to pass and fell over. The ER dr said that it's very common for his age. They ran blood work, etc and did a POTS test where they checked his BP laying down, sitting up, and standing and they saw no significant changes, but said that didn't rule out POTS. At the follow up with his dr she decided to run an echo to make sure there was no heart issues because they had been seeing heart issues in covid kids. His appointment is next week, as well as a tilt table test. I'm wondering if this could all be covid related. We didn't have it that I'm aware of and have been careful, but one just never knows. He did have a couple days in October where I thought he had allergies, but then DH got sick a few days later. He went and got a covid test which was negative, but maybe it was too early. I did ask about running an antibody test and she said she was open to it but just to know that the test would only tell if he had had a coronavirus and not necessarily Covid 19. She said the only true test to tell you that is the one that the Red Cross is running which is more in depth. We got his blood work back and it looked like she forgot to run it because it only showed thyroid numbers. I think I'll ask again when we talk about the results of the echo.

Kindra178
03-18-2021, 03:46 PM

Asthma isn't a true risk factor for covid. I had covid and definitely had my usual asthmatic coughing problem when sick, but not all that different than any other illness coughing wise.

My three asthmatic kids got covid. My teen had the worst case of the three, which involved some minor coughing which was got worse with exercise and some tiredness for a week. He was way sicker with the flu a and b he got last year! My tweens had no virtually no symptoms, including my most severe asthmatic.

zukeypur
03-22-2021, 01:26 PM
An article from WaPo on long haul and kids. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/03/18/virus-longhaul-coronavirus-children/

Also, for those who need a way to listen to podcasts, I use the TuneIn app. I listen to TWIV, TWIP, Up First, KUT (my local NPR station), Fresh Air, the Daily, etc. There are a ton of podcasts and live broadcasts all in the same place instead of downloading multiple apps.

klwa
04-26-2021, 07:12 AM
The CDC discusses it in the myth portion (last paragraph) (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/facts.html), here is a joint statement by obstectrics/reproductive medicine/MFM groups (https://www.acog.org/news/news-releases/2021/02/medical-experts-assert-covid-vaccines-do-not-impact-fertility), and a general overview on how this concern arose (and then spiraled out) is here at WebMD (https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210112/why-covid-vaccines-are-falsely-linked-to-infertility). It’s important to understand the background (similar, but not same, genetic coding of portion of protein in the virus and protein in the placenta) to wrap your head around why, without trials on the specific issue, they believe if there was a concern, it would be glaringly obvious by now in the millions and millions of fertile age women who have had antibodies either from being sick with Covid or the vaccine. There are trials now on pregnancy which will necessarily contribute data (because pregnancy/need a placenta) to the discussion and go a long way to reducing hesitancy, imo, because while there were women who became pregnant in the initial pfizer and Moderna trials, the mean age of participants was around 53 and you had to not be pregnant to participate. I’ve read about a study in process out of Miami but it may be limited to male infertility.

People who already have a fertility challenge and are concerned have a special place in my heart and I really fear them being lumped into a tin foil hat club by showing concern. It’s been a long time for me, but there’s absolutely no one more aware and/or paranoid about what one put’s in her body, from food to medication, than someone dealing with RPL or infertility.

I just wanted to thank you specifically for these links. My niece, a 20 year old nursing student, told me this weekend that she's considering not getting vaccinated because "I heard it might mess with my fertility." I pulled up your post, clicked on the ACOG link and just handed her my phone while I continued to talk to the rest of the family. (First time seeing most of them since my uncle's outdoor funeral in July.) She read it & thanked me. I hope she took it to heart, but it's possible she just rolled her eyes and thought "Coco is an idiot." But having the links made it where I could give her info without even saying a word.

chlobo
04-26-2021, 07:23 AM
This is interesting to me:
Others report what is known as orthostatic intolerance, meaning they might develop worsening symptoms when they change positions, such as sitting up or standing down.

DS began complaint of seeing black when he stood up a few months ago. The neurologist (he has sleep apnea) said it was probably POTS and he would outgrow it, as it's usually seen in his age group and often after a growth spurt, which DS had grown 6" in about 10 months. He told us that it would probably get better once he blood volume caught up with his growth.

Then he passed out a few weeks ago when he stood up. He kept walking when he saw black instead of waiting for it to pass and fell over. The ER dr said that it's very common for his age. They ran blood work, etc and did a POTS test where they checked his BP laying down, sitting up, and standing and they saw no significant changes, but said that didn't rule out POTS. At the follow up with his dr she decided to run an echo to make sure there was no heart issues because they had been seeing heart issues in covid kids. His appointment is next week, as well as a tilt table test. I'm wondering if this could all be covid related. We didn't have it that I'm aware of and have been careful, but one just never knows. He did have a couple days in October where I thought he had allergies, but then DH got sick a few days later. He went and got a covid test which was negative, but maybe it was too early. I did ask about running an antibody test and she said she was open to it but just to know that the test would only tell if he had had a coronavirus and not necessarily Covid 19. She said the only true test to tell you that is the one that the Red Cross is running which is more in depth. We got his blood work back and it looked like she forgot to run it because it only showed thyroid numbers. I think I'll ask again when we talk about the results of the echo.

How did the appointment go?

MSWR0319
04-26-2021, 08:12 AM
How did the appointment go?

That’s so kind of you to ask! His echo looked good. He did end up passing out on the tilt table but they said it’s not POTS, but neurocardiac syncope. We have an appt with a ped cardiologist in June based on the recommendations of the cardiologist who read the report. He doesn’t really believe in POTS so I want confirmation that it’s not true POTS anyway. Our ped doesn’t think any of it is covid related after the testing, so that’s good and I’m glad she checked.

twowhat?
04-30-2021, 09:55 AM
This morning Pfizer/BNT submitted their request to the European Medicines Agency to extend use of the vaccine to 12-15 yos. This is good news, as it means the data is holding. It is still making me wonder about the US EUA amendment, which I feel like should happen ANY HOUR NOW but who knows??

Historically, US/FDA authorizations tend to happen weeks ahead of EU/EMA authorizations...so...hurry up, US?

MSWR0319
04-30-2021, 10:26 AM
This morning Pfizer/BNT submitted their request to the European Medicines Agency to extend use of the vaccine to 12-15 yos. This is good news, as it means the data is holding. It is still making me wonder about the US EUA amendment, which I feel like should happen ANY HOUR NOW but who knows??

Historically, US/FDA authorizations tend to happen weeks ahead of EU/EMA authorizations...so...hurry up, US?

I saw you had commented and was hoping you had news it was approved!! I keep checking the news this morning. Maybe the request to the EMA will push them along?

twowhat?
04-30-2021, 10:28 AM
I saw you had commented and was hoping you had news it was approved!! I keep checking the news this morning. Maybe the request to the EMA will push them along?

I still have hope for today - the FDA loves Friday afternoon press releases...we're 3 weeks from the EUA amendment request...and I just can't think of any other good reason to delay this.

MSWR0319
04-30-2021, 10:32 AM
I just saw this article, so others are feeling that it's coming too. I'm getting so excited!
https://www.fox4news.com/news/health-officials-give-updates-on-covid-19-and-children

zukeypur
04-30-2021, 10:36 AM

If it's approved, that's going to be tricky for us. I just signed DD2 up for the Novavax trial, and she should get the vax/placebo in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if we'll go ahead with the trial if she can just go ahead with the Pfizer vaccine. When I went in for my MOderna checkup a couple of weeks ago, they said they were going to do the trial on 6-11 year olds as well, but they decided to wait on that age group. DD3 is 11, so not eligible for anything yet. I was really hoping to get at least one shot in them before we go to Universal at the beginning of June.

JustMe
04-30-2021, 04:52 PM
I am thinking we are going to get US approval very soon too! The timing is right and the CDC director said she expected this would happen by mid-May when they first submitted. I think they try to be really careful to not be overly optimistic, although of course they cant anticipate everything

ahisma
05-01-2021, 10:48 PM
Families in our community (West Michigan) are hearing form pediatricians about preparing to scheduled vaccination last for the 12-15 group in the next two weeks. Fingers crossed!

georgiegirl
05-01-2021, 11:32 PM
So today I overheard a conversation between a college swimmer (freshman) and one of our coaches. Kid got covid in early December, was out of swimming for a while. Went back, had heart issues, then had to take another 1.5 months off swim. After that he was okay, but he missed out on 2.5 months of college swim because of covid. Perfectly healthy, strong athlete (age 19) knocked out for 2.5 months.

frugalmom
05-03-2021, 09:01 AM
https://abc7ny.com/covid-vaccine-india-coronavirus-charges/10572704/

Coronavirus Vaccine Updates: FDA expected to approve Pfizer vaccine for ages 12-15 this week

billysmommy
05-03-2021, 10:24 AM

Coronavirus Vaccine Updates: FDA expected to approve Pfizer vaccine for ages 12-15 this week

I just saw this! So excited

twowhat?
05-03-2021, 10:35 AM
If it doesn't happen this week, I am going to go crazy. Everyone is like life back to normal here...and I want my kids vaccinated!

If it's approved, that's going to be tricky for us. I just signed DD2 up for the Novavax trial, and she should get the vax/placebo in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if we'll go ahead with the trial if she can just go ahead with the Pfizer vaccine. When I went in for my MOderna checkup a couple of weeks ago, they said they were going to do the trial on 6-11 year olds as well, but they decided to wait on that age group. DD3 is 11, so not eligible for anything yet. I was really hoping to get at least one shot in them before we go to Universal at the beginning of June.

First, a huge thank you to you and your DD for choosing to participate in the study. The Novovax vaccine is looking pretty darned good so far. You can drop out of a clinical trial at any time...but I think for now I'd wait and see...even if Pfizer is authorized this week, that doesn't mean that you can immediately go out and get it. Each state will have some roll-out plan for this, and it's possible some states may hold off on 12-15 in order to try to get more adults vaccinated...but I don't know. So wait and see. If in your state you find that it's super easy to get an appointment for your DD2 for Pfizer, then yeah...I'd be really really tempted to just get her vaccinated. I hope that this week brings some more definitive answers so that you can make a decision!

Kindra178
05-03-2021, 11:18 AM
If it doesn't happen this week, I am going to go crazy. Everyone is like life back to normal here...and I want my kids vaccinated!

I can't believe I am saying this but I truly wish I lived in a red state. Be thankful things are back to normal. We are destroying (have already destroyed?) children's lives.

klwa
05-03-2021, 01:09 PM

Oh thank goodness! Once I can get my two oldest vaccinated, I can breathe SO much easier! I'll feel okay signing them up for camp, etc. Then we just have to wait for my 8 year old to be eligible!!!

twowhat?
05-03-2021, 05:19 PM
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/pfizer-covid-vaccine-teens.html

"By early next week"...or "as early as late this week". Given that the FDA loves to do these things on Friday afternoons, my best guess would be (hopefully) Friday afternoon. Still disappointed it didn't come last week! And still hoping maybe they can get it out even earlier than Friday to give vaccine hubs some weekday time to prep.

I can't believe I am saying this but I truly wish I lived in a red state. Be thankful things are back to normal. We are destroying (have already destroyed?) children's lives.

I'm all for getting back to normal, but with precautions in place until enough of us are vaccinated. We have had schools successfully open for a year now with masks required. Business have been able to operate with masks required. I'm ok with people not wearing masks outdoors unless it's really crowded. I'm ok with avoiding eating out until I'm comfortable with it myself.

But we don't have enough people vaccinated, and so when you have people refusing to wear masks when they go shopping, that's a problem. And then the flip side of that is that it's the red state that has issues with vaccine uptake. So...double whammy...people who don't want to take precautions + people who don't want to get vaccinated. And that community behavior impacts our kids...I have been watching the covid case counts slowly go up in our school district.

Globetrotter
05-03-2021, 06:24 PM
Take a look at the map in this article to see vaccine hesitancy. I am so thankful to live in a place where people are eagerly getting vaccinated. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

SnuggleBuggles
05-03-2021, 06:38 PM
But we don't have enough people vaccinated, and so when you have people refusing to wear masks when they go shopping, that's a problem. And then the flip side of that is that it's the red state that has issues with vaccine uptake. So...double whammy...people who don't want to take precautions + people who don't want to get vaccinated. And that community behavior impacts our kids...I have been watching the covid case counts slowly go up in our school district.

Ugh. :(

mom2binsd
05-03-2021, 06:49 PM
It's very interesting, I'm in a blue state but where I am, about 70/30 in favor of Trump in the election. On my cul de sac I am the lone "damn democrat" even though I'm not eligible to vote. All of the neighbours in the driveway drinking gang are fully vaccinated, most are 60 or older, but all huge Trumpers. They didn't hesitate to get the shot. The lone hold out is a 42 year old, she's just skeptical of medicine, sadly is treating a back problem without seeing a neurologist or ortho. I see plenty of folks in the rural town where I work also getting their shots. My xh who's the worst Trumper ever refuses to get his, he had Covid in Nov (gave it my son and made me miss 14 days without pay from my nursing home job) and just texted me he may have Covid again, awaiting test results. He says he's worse now than before, but sure don't get vaccinated, insert multiple expletives!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Globetrotter
05-03-2021, 07:05 PM
It's very interesting, I'm in a blue state but where I am, about 70/30 in favor of Trump in the election. On my cul de sac I am the lone "damn democrat" even though I'm not eligible to vote. All of the neighbours in the driveway drinking gang are fully vaccinated, most are 60 or older, but all huge Trumpers. They didn't hesitate to get the shot. The lone hold out is a 42 year old, she's just skeptical of medicine, sadly is treating a back problem without seeing a neurologist or ortho. I see plenty of folks in the rural town where I work also getting their shots. My xh who's the worst Trumper ever refuses to get his, he had Covid in Nov (gave it my son and made me miss 14 days without pay from my nursing home job) and just texted me he may have Covid again, awaiting test results. He says he's worse now than before, but sure don't get vaccinated, insert multiple expletives!!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What a pain for you with your X! Of course it’s definitely not always correlated, and I’m guessing maybe older conservatives will be much more likely to get vaccinated. Not all conservatives are Covid deniers (by any means) but I’m not sure how it will play out with the younger folks who don’t perceive a personal risk. It will be interesting to see, but as of now that seems to be how it’s playing out, with conservatives being less likely. I know a couple of very liberal anti-vaxxers… I guess that’s a separate issue with the same result.

MSWR0319
05-03-2021, 07:20 PM
I'm all for getting back to normal, but with precautions in place until enough of us are vaccinated. We have had schools successfully open for a year now with masks required. Business have been able to operate with masks required. I'm ok with people not wearing masks outdoors unless it's really crowded. I'm ok with avoiding eating out until I'm comfortable with it myself.

Yep! We have the same issue here. Too many who don't want shots and too many who won't take precautions. I want my kids protected since no one else wants to keep them safe. Cases are going up here as well with kids.

ang79
05-03-2021, 07:34 PM
What a pain for you with your X! Of course it’s definitely not always correlated, and I’m guessing maybe older conservatives will be much more likely to get vaccinated. Not all conservatives are Covid deniers (by any means) but I’m not sure how it will play out with the younger folks who don’t perceive a personal risk. It will be interesting to see, but as of now that seems to be how it’s playing out, with conservatives being less likely. I know a couple of very liberal anti-vaxxers… I guess that’s a separate issue with the same result.

Within family, it seems like most of our older relatives were eager to get vaccinated, but it is my cousins, siblings, and older nieces and nephews that don't want to get it, so ranging in age from 20-55. I'm having trouble with planning to go visit family. We normally stay with one of my brothers but none of them are vaccinated yet. Even though DH and I will be fully vaccinated by June, my kids won't be and I don't want to stay overnight in a house where no one else is vaccinated, but they don't see why that's a problem. I blame it on they live in a very rural, very conservative area that has lots of mistrust of government. Their case loads have not been as high as where I live, but they were struggling with full hospitals and closed schools over the winter. Yet many (including some of my relatives) still think it is no worse than the flu and that the vaccine is too new, possible unknown side-effects, etc.

petesgirl
05-03-2021, 08:25 PM
Take a look at the map in this article to see vaccine hesitancy. I am so thankful to live in a place where people are eagerly getting vaccinated. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

I'm surprised Utah ranked so well...I know way too many people who aren't getting it.

specialp
05-04-2021, 07:48 AM

It's amazing to think about this pandemic and to look back on past vaccination discussions I've had with people and how things have flipped. When you look back over the past ten+ years and outbreaks such as measles and the debates on vaccines in general, those who were generally against childhood vaccines were a rather varied group with pockets often among higher educated, higher SES blue areas. Actually living in a pandemic in real time with no real treatment and in a politically charged environment certainly pushed some over to be ok with this vaccine, even if they are not OK with others. (That will be an interesting look in ten years to see how many young adults are vaccinated for covid, but not traditional childhood diseases.) I imagine there are still plenty of people in that group for whom a pandemic isn’t going to persuade them regardless of where they are politically or geographically. And then there are plenty of people who vaccinate their kids on schedule and are pro-vax in almost every way, but have hesitations about THIS vaccine.

carolinamama
05-04-2021, 08:54 AM
I read an interesting piece in the The Atlantic this morning on the vaccine uptake split. Nothing surprising or new but I think it helps to hear out the other side, even if it frustrates me. It mirrors what many of you all are saying here. Essentially, peoples' feelings about the vaccine line up with their feelings on the pandemic. If they feel that Covid is no big deal, "just like the flu", and didn't change their lifestyles to avoid infection, the vaccine is an unnecessary risk. Those who postponed vacations, weddings, restaurant dining and gathering see the vaccine as the ticket back but if your life didn't change much and you avoided or survived covid, there's no reason to jump through hoops for a jab. Statistically, it's younger people who trust their immune systems to avoid or handle Covid more than a vaccine approved under an EUA. The article argues that Americans are suffering from a lack of thinking about the lives of others. I'm so curious to see where schools fall on requiring vaccination or not for enrollment in the next few years.

In my purple-ish state, most I know are vaccinated or getting vaccinated. It's also unusual to find an unmasked person in a local store. But drive half an hour and the same people refusing masks are now refusing vaccines. I try so hard to be non-judgmental, but dang, I want to travel, have my kids in school and protect the rest of my fellow humans along the way.

twowhat?
05-04-2021, 09:27 AM
I'm surprised Utah ranked so well...I know way too many people who aren't getting it.

There's a disconnect between what people say they'll do and what they actually do. :( The county I live in ranks well according to that NYT map, but the actual numbers say differently, with less than 30% of eligible people in my county who are fully vaccinated as of May 1.

I hope that changes when the vaccines get FDA approval, but I honestly don't think it's going to make that big of a difference...

This is why I want my kids vaccinated so badly. There's no way for us to change others' behavior, which makes it extra critical that we do what we can to protect ourselves. :(

bisous
05-04-2021, 02:54 PM
There's a disconnect between what people say they'll do and what they actually do. :( The county I live in ranks well according to that NYT map, but the actual numbers say differently, with less than 30% of eligible people in my county who are fully vaccinated as of May 1.

I hope that changes when the vaccines get FDA approval, but I honestly don't think it's going to make that big of a difference...

This is why I want my kids vaccinated so badly. There's no way for us to change others' behavior, which makes it extra critical that we do what we can to protect ourselves. :(

I am so with you! Once my kids are protected other people can do whatever they want! Until then, I'm dependent on others to keep them safe so it makes it a little frustrating.

I know some people really do care if the FDA approves it fully but I think most of the people who are making that distinction care very little about that certification anyway and it is just a distraction. I hope that I'm wrong!

Myira
05-05-2021, 11:11 AM

I’m with you on this especially with the fast mutating variants elsewhere that are eventually going to come here. With the variants in India for instance, younger people seem to be affected a lot more.

zukeypur
05-05-2021, 09:11 PM

First, a huge thank you to you and your DD for choosing to participate in the study. The Novovax vaccine is looking pretty darned good so far. You can drop out of a clinical trial at any time...but I think for now I'd wait and see...even if Pfizer is authorized this week, that doesn't mean that you can immediately go out and get it. Each state will have some roll-out plan for this, and it's possible some states may hold off on 12-15 in order to try to get more adults vaccinated...but I don't know. So wait and see. If in your state you find that it's super easy to get an appointment for your DD2 for Pfizer, then yeah...I'd be really really tempted to just get her vaccinated. I hope that this week brings some more definitive answers so that you can make a decision!

She decided to go ahead with the study instead of Pzifer.

MSWR0319
05-06-2021, 08:51 AM

That is so awesome! DS really wanted to be in a study but the Moderna one at a site near us got cancelled. They just called us to see if we were interested in the Novavax trial and while he wants to do it, he wants the vaccine more so he can hang out with friends. So he decided to wait for the approval.

twowhat?
05-06-2021, 09:10 AM

That's about as selfless of a decision possible. I really commend your DD!!! I believe the company will do its due diligence to unblind the study if the data are positive enough (or not), or otherwise strategically move forward blinded (eg blinded crossover) in order to make vaccine available to placebo recipients.

carolinamama
05-06-2021, 09:16 AM

That's a truly admirable decision and I thank you and your DD. The data I've seen on the Novavax vaccine have been promising.

JustMe
05-06-2021, 11:35 AM
zukeypur, thanks so much to you and your dd. That really is so admirable and selfless.