PDA

View Full Version : TX governor ending mask mandate, will open state 100% and

♥ms.pacman♥
03-02-2021, 04:57 PM
Our state has seen a lot of sickness and death recently and now this... I seriously cannot believe this

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/politics/2021/03/02/abbott-hints-at-exciting-news-tuesday-that-could-include-rollback-of-texas-covid-19-restrictions/

My virtual schooling group is now full of parents who were planning for their kids to go back on person for last quarter but now quickly changing back to virtual because of this. It will be much harder to enforce mask usage at school due to this.

For podcast/news junkies - NY times “The Daily” podcast just had a episode yesterday focusing on the fallout of the Texas storm/outages couple weeks ago. It covered 3 women (moms ) in Dallas area. The stories were heartbreaking. Moms trying to provide for their kids with no power, holes in their roof. Two of them had actually suffered financially due to Covid prior to the storm that wrecked their home.

The message I repeatedly hear loud and clear from TX government is “sorry - every man for himself!” Who cares if people are suffering and dying.

It is really hard to get a vaccine here. I can’t even sign up for waitlist in my county who stopped taking waitlist signups three weeks ago. DH (1B) has only gotten his first dose.

Sorry - I am beyond frustrated. Mods- feel free to move to different forum if needed.

Edit- sorry title is messed up , I can’t change it on my phone

jgenie
03-02-2021, 05:04 PM
There go my tentative plans to visit this summer. Dumb and dumber.....sounds like when they opened things back up last spring. If they would just give it another 6 - 8 weeks they could save so many lives.

MSWR0319
03-02-2021, 05:35 PM
I just saw this. I'm in a Trump state and people have already been posting that they should "move to Texas" because mask wearing is ridiculous and the TX governor is doing things right. :banghead: I'm sorry for those of you who live there and have to deal with this.

smilequeen
03-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Missouri has NEVER had a mask mandate. Perhaps you will see some of your more intelligent counties have mandates of their own? That's how it is here. My county has one, and we just stay local as much as possible.

zukeypur
03-02-2021, 05:40 PM
My mom just texted me that she's having a mask burning party. I hope she's being facetious. I responded with a face palm emoji, and told her that we're not coming for spring break if she stops wearing her mask. I'm 100% not kidding. I told my dad the same thing, to which he agreed and said he wasn't going to just stop taking precautions because he's vaccinated (they are divorced). My mom still hasn't responded. I don't know what we will do about school. DD3 is really thriving in face to face school, but I do not feel comfortable with this.

He did this on Texas Independence Day, which I guarantee is not a coincidence.

basil
03-02-2021, 05:42 PM
In MA they are opening up all the restaurants to full capacity. Meanwhile, most schools are not open full time yet, and the case numbers have plateaued. I'd prefer to keep going harder for a few weeks longer too.

TX is crazy. It's like a whole different world.

zukeypur
03-02-2021, 05:42 PM
Missouri has NEVER had a mask mandate. Perhaps you will see some of your more intelligent counties have mandates of their own? That's how it is here. My county has one, and we just stay local as much as possible.

Our Atty General sued our counties that had a mandate.

sariana
03-02-2021, 06:41 PM
Dollars to donuts they'll blame Biden when the case numbers go up.

Tenasparkl
03-02-2021, 07:25 PM
Dollars to donuts they'll blame Biden when the case numbers go up.

Ugh, I didn't even think of that. Of course.

This is frustrating on so many levels. It isn't like people are staying in their states. If Texas is open it'll absolutely mean that other states will be affected.

georgiegirl
03-02-2021, 07:34 PM
Iowa never had a real mask mandate and our governor ended the limited mandate and lifted all restrictions a month or so ago. [emoji2360]

petesgirl
03-02-2021, 07:55 PM
I heard on the radio this morning that talks have started in Utah about lifting covid restrictions also. Not sure of how soon or anything though.

mmsmom
03-02-2021, 08:18 PM
I’m currently in GA with no mask mandate but every place I have been has one. If it is not a county or city order then the business has one. I stopped in a grocery store and everyone was masked.

I’m not sure if the people in TX will behave the same way but let’s hope. It’s such a ridiculous political call by the governor.

DH and I have told kids we will be masking at least through end of this year.

PunkyBoo
03-02-2021, 08:38 PM
I’m not sure if the people in TX will behave the same way but let’s hope. It’s such a ridiculous political call by the governor.

I kinda doubt it. I follow a few bloggers in the Dallas area, including one that's a teacher, and I haven't seen any masks in their photos for a couple of months.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2021, 08:40 PM
I’m currently in GA with no mask mandate but every place I have been has one. If it is not a county or city order then the business has one. I stopped in a grocery store and everyone was masked.

DH and I have told kids we will be masking at least through end of this year.

I was reading something from a business owner in a state that lifted its mandate (maybe Iowa?) and they said that customers had become very problematic and not willing to comply with the businesses’ masking guidelines. Sounded very frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
03-02-2021, 09:33 PM

Texans will exercise their right to not wear masks.

jgenie
03-02-2021, 09:34 PM
I was reading something from a business owner in a state that lifted its mandate (maybe Iowa?) and they said that customers had become very problematic and not willing to comply with the businesses’ masking guidelines. Sounded very frustrating!

Yes, it leaves the business in the position of policing the public. In a state with so many personal firearms that will be deadly.

DualvansMommy
03-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Such a mess. We will never get ahead of this virus if this keeps up with individual states deciding what to do.

This just makes me so glad I live in a state that cares about its citizens, mask mandates is strict and restaurants is still only open at 25% capacity. I was on the fence about getting a vaccine few months ago, but after I realized how long this is dragging on and want to protect myself as much I can, I signed up. Getting my first shot tomorrow and am I ever so grateful!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AngB
03-02-2021, 11:58 PM

Our county is super red and we don't go out much especially here but everywhere we do go requires masks anyway. Walmart (have maybe been inside Walmart once), masks required. Costco, indoor soccer, schools.. Gas stations are iffy (and my sister is a manager at QT so it drives me nuts but somehow she hasn't gotten covid and neither has her husband who is a manager at a different store- they have both been tested a few times as many of their coworkers have gotten it.) It's still annoying that there is no mask mandate but at this point I honestly don't think it would actually make much of a difference. The people that are vehemently anti mask aren't going to suddenly wear masks just because of a mandate and hopefully already had covid anyway.

We barely ever have gone to restaurants but I am pretty sure they have always been open at regular capacity since like June. A couple months ago I picked up Texas Roadhouse to go and the parking lot was so full I had to drive around it three times to find a spot to go up to the window (did not have to go inside!) and get our food, it was so crowded. I could see people standing shoulder to shoulder waiting for tables inside.

carolinamama
03-03-2021, 09:38 AM
I never hear people discuss the group of people who won't participate in the economy and patronize stores or restaurants without masking and precautions in place. If our family doesn't feel safe, we stay home. I'm guessing there are fewer and fewer of us out there, but I walked right out of a restaurant last week where I was planning to place a to-go order for a family of 5. No one in the kitchen had a mask on and several in front had it below their nose.

Our state does have a mask mandate, but in the last week, I've noticed a move towards less compliance, which was only good in the less rural areas. I'm guessing the dropping (until this week) case numbers, vaccines, and nicer weather make people want to live more freely. I've had my first shot, DH is eligible to schedule as of today. We don't plan to stop masking anytime soon.

twowhat?
03-03-2021, 10:03 AM
There was a period of time yesterday when I thought this was just a rumor because it's SO unbelievably stupid. And all the work people have put into getting vaccines out as quickly as possible? It's as if he's kicking them all to the curb now. So much of this hard work is going to waste because of him extending the period of time until we reach herd immunity, not to mention herd immunity is actually now at jeopardy as variants make their climb and current vaccines are less efficacious against some of them. OMG I want to scream.

newnana
03-03-2021, 11:18 AM
I never hear people discuss the group of people who won't participate in the economy and patronize stores or restaurants without masking and precautions in place. If our family doesn't feel safe, we stay home. I'm guessing there are fewer and fewer of us out there, but I walked right out of a restaurant last week where I was planning to place a to-go order for a family of 5. No one in the kitchen had a mask on and several in front had it below their nose.

This is us. We can't patronize local businesses anymore due to poor mask compliance by employees and other patrons. We are big believers in shopping local and supporting our small businesses. We'd be happy to if everyone wore masks. We cannot because they don't. It would make it a lot easier for us to support the local economy if it were safe to do so. I'll these folks saying mask mandates are hurting their business have it backwards.

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2021, 11:20 AM
This is us. We can't patronize local businesses anymore due to poor mask compliance by employees and other patrons. We are big believers in shopping local and supporting our small businesses. We'd be happy to if everyone wore masks. We cannot because they don't. It would make it a lot easier for us to support the local economy if it were safe to do so. I'll these folks saying mask mandates are hurting their business have it backwards.

Are masks required where you live? Our county has an easy system for reporting businesses that violate rules like mask use, distancing, capacity... I admit to filling one out for a bold and proud business defying all restrictions.

newnana
03-03-2021, 11:36 AM
Are masks required where you live? Our county has an easy system for reporting businesses that violate rules like mask use, distancing, capacity... I admit to filling one out for a bold and proud business defying all restrictions.

There is a mask mandate in our state. Those that oppose it say a mandate is not a law, so they aren't required. I have nothing nice to say

SnuggleBuggles
03-03-2021, 11:42 AM
There is a mask mandate in our state. Those that oppose it say a mandate is not a law, so they aren't required. I have nothing nice to say

Are there fines or consequences? There are here.

carolinamama
03-03-2021, 12:04 PM
Are there fines or consequences? There are here.

There are no consequences in NC despite the mask mandate. Lots of informal avenues of mask compliance/noncompliance reporting so Covid-conscious people can avoid those businesses but no true enforcement. It's mostly good in our area but drive 30 minutes to more rural areas and it's a different story. Sadly, we've been patronizing more corporate stores and restaurants as it feels safer. It's probably the same in many locales.

I've traveled to multiple mid-Atlantic and southern states for sports. Some felt safe and no worries from us. Others were very different with venue capacities, masking and attitudes despite mask mandates in the particular cities where we were. It's the attitude that feels different and the local acquired definition of masking. I find it extremely interesting to see the variation from place to place. I travel with my well-fitting N95.

newnana
03-03-2021, 12:15 PM
In theory, there are fines that vary county to county. The mandate is not enforced. We live on the border of 2 rural counties that vary widely. The worse of the 2 actually has no hospitals with an ICU and would have to go to the other county to be treated. It's just gross.

ezcc
03-03-2021, 01:11 PM
This is crazy and I get why people are so mad but also, there are around 20 (?) states I think that never even had mask mandates. I am going to Florida next week that doesn't have one, but I think the area where we will be does. We won't be going anywhere anyway. This could have all gone so much better grrr.

JBaxter
03-03-2021, 01:23 PM
This is crazy and I get why people are so mad but also, there are around 20 (?) states I think that never even had mask mandates. I am going to Florida next week that doesn't have one, but I think the area where we will be does. We won't be going anywhere anyway. This could have all gone so much better grrr.
Florida is pretty much if you dont see a specific sign people arent wearing them. Kids wear them to school specific stores require them inside but everything has been open full capacity for a while. the market I go to most often doesn't require them. Out doors for get it maybe 20% walking down the street

JamiMac
03-03-2021, 01:37 PM
Such a stupid decision on the governor’s part. I’m in Collin county, just north of Dallas county. It’s been an interesting response on social media in regards to how people are taking this. I would say it’s a mix, but heavily on the side of what the he$& is he thinking. There is, of course, a subset of people that think it’s about time. Much smaller than you would think though. My husband and I were listening to the local sports radio talk show this morning and it was the topic of discussion and they were interviewing people. They think his decision was also wreckless and the consensus was most would still wear the mask. I’m sure this is bound to change in the next few weeks. Public schools are following TEA so masks are still mandatory. They’ve done a great job of opening schools with very little transmission, so I hope so.
I saw another poster questioned if people were even wearing masks in Dallas. Up to this point I have not been anywhere indoors since last April where everyone was not in a mask. I work in health care around the Dallas area and am constantly in and out of medical clinics, urgent cares and pharmacies, of course everyone is masked there, but also in any store, restaurants, etc. I saw a man in a convenience store without a mask and he completely stood out. Like I said, I’m sure this will change, but hopefully not vastly. We are moving towards lower numbers and getting the vaccine rolled out, too. Such bad timing on the governor’s part. I won’t be surprised if Abbott is not re-elected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk