PDA

View Full Version : A wwyd

smilequeen
03-02-2021, 10:15 PM
My 10 year old was congested Friday (no school Friday) and Saturday. Not sick, no fever, still his nutty self, just congested. So now he’s draining and coughs once an hour or so. School does not require a Covid test for congestion, but how long do you keep this kid home in Covid times? Normal year, he’d be back because he’s fine but he coughs once an hour as it drains. DH and I are vaccinated and I’ve been keeping him away from his brothers for caution. He’s just missing school at this point and I need to figure out if we should pick up the laptop for virtual.

SnuggleBuggles
03-02-2021, 10:51 PM
I’d get a test for peace of mind. Better than quarantining unnecessarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Philly Mom
03-02-2021, 11:20 PM

I agree. I would get a test

ett
03-02-2021, 11:20 PM
I'd reach out to the school nurse and see what they suggest.

georgiegirl
03-03-2021, 12:34 AM

I agree with this approach. Just get him tested and send him back if it’s negative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

petesgirl
03-03-2021, 01:17 AM
I would probably test also. Our school still allows students there who have a cough, though, recognizing that it can be caused by many different things.

mommy111
03-03-2021, 07:28 AM
Switch to virtual and get him tested. I would absolutely not send a symptomatic kid to school and I would get 2 negative PCRs before I would feel comfortable doing so.

jgenie
03-03-2021, 09:28 AM
I would keep him home and have him tested. It stinks but it’s the best way to keep everyone safe.

carolinamama
03-03-2021, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately I think you need to test. Hopefully it's a simple cold or allergies and your DS can get back to school soon.

Liziz
03-03-2021, 12:03 PM
Ugh, these decisions are monumentally harder right now! Thank you for being responsible and respectful and thinking about it, though. I think I would probably just test too - it's unpleasant, but the easiest way to know for sure and avoid longer absences.

hbridge
03-03-2021, 01:35 PM
I have been there, it feels ridiculous to keep them home...

DC has recurring sore throats, we know this. We ALL know this (school, pediatrician, ENT). However, now every sore throat triggers a covid test and at least a week out of school since they cannot attend with a sore throat! Once the test comes back negative and the sore throat goes away back to school they go. It is so incredibly frustrating, but necessary in these crazy times...

I am sorry you are going through this, it is all so hard!

smilequeen
03-03-2021, 02:01 PM
Thanks. I talked to our head of school and am waiting on his pediatrician for next steps. He’s feeling plenty good enough to drive me nuts (my 2nd vax was yesterday and I am definitely having the side effects). Lol.

Globetrotter
03-03-2021, 02:02 PM
Must be a nightmare for anyone who has allergies. Even before Covid it would be confusing but right now the stakes are so high.

klwa
03-03-2021, 02:03 PM
Are there any allergies? Mine have really started to pick up in the last week. If so, see if medicating for those helps kill the cough.

smilequeen
03-03-2021, 02:06 PM
Oh I have allergies and it was a constant game of Covid or allergies. They improve in winter but I constantly have drainage and throat clearing. I know what it is but I’ve not been without a drink all year to prevent coughing in public.

Globetrotter
03-03-2021, 02:10 PM
Oh I have allergies and it was a constant game of Covid or allergies. They improve in winter but I constantly have drainage and throat clearing. I know what it is but I’ve not been without a drink all year to prevent coughing in public.
Me too! I wake up with a sore throat and runny nose every day. I have woken up in the middle of the night thinking it was Covid, but it improves during the day. Sneezing continues, though, which is mortifying nowadays.

carolinacool
03-03-2021, 02:24 PM
Same. I often wake up with an irritated or slightly sore throat. Some days it's sinus congestion/pressure/headaches, other days it's drainage/post-nasal drip. Sneezing likes to show up occasionally, too. It's always fun to do that in public, although I don't think sneezing is actually a symptom. Honestly, if I took a Covid test every time I had a symptom, I might as well pitch a tent at the CVS.

That said, DS does not have allergies, so I would probably think a little harder about what was going on with him.

smilequeen
03-03-2021, 07:45 PM
Thanks again. He went to the ped and the Covid test was negative. He thinks it may be allergies based on the clear drainage so he’s on allergy meds and gets to go back.

Liziz
03-03-2021, 08:28 PM
Thanks again. He went to the ped and the Covid test was negative. He thinks it may be allergies based on the clear drainage so he’s on allergy meds and gets to go back.

Glad it was negative as suspected and glad he's able to be back at school!

georgiegirl
03-03-2021, 08:49 PM
Glad to know it’s negative.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk