PDA

View Full Version : Replacing carpeting...what the heck to do with all the furniture??

wendibird22
03-08-2021, 01:50 PM
We've lived in our house for 16yrs. First owners. So carpet is now 16yr old and needs replacing. Our downstairs great room (14x24) and stairway, 2nd floor hallway, and all 4 bedrooms and closets are fully carpeted. We just started shopping for carpeting and I'm finding the thought of having to empty rooms of all the furniture daunting. What the hell are we supposed to do with it all? My great room seems easiest....I can push couches and tables into the kitchen, foyer, and dining room. But when it comes to bedrooms holy moly, I have no idea where to put it. Right now the hallway and bedrooms are all the same carpeting and we plan to keep it that way. I have no need to pick out 4 different carpets to coordinate with bedrooms. I just want neutral that will stand the test of time and room makeovers. So, I'd have to have the rooms done at different times because obviously I cannot empty the contents of them all at once. But even the thought of taking apart our queen bed (4 post bed frame), emptying the contents of our walk in closet, and then emptying the contents of a long dresser, one tall dresser, and one bedside table, is just overwhelming. I wish it was as easy as pulling the drawers out and stacking them in another room. But they have this crazy safety feature to keep the drawers from pulling all the way out that makes it almost impossible to remove them (there's a metal latch under the drawer that you have to be able to push up as you pull the drawer out and you feel like you are going to lose a finger in the process!). I know I can put those large items on those plastic furniture sliders and then push them down the hall, but still. I think I could only have 2 rooms carpeted in a day in order to keep the other two rooms available to empty the other rooms into. And if you have a house of 2 working adults and busy kids schedules how do you empty the rooms in advance of the installers coming and still live in your house?

Am I overthinking this? Is there something I'm missing?

nfceagles
03-08-2021, 02:22 PM
I wish I knew. If I could snap my fingers and pay the cost I would have carpets replaced and my hardwoods refinished in a heartbeat, but I have no appetite for clearing the rooms out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carolinamama
03-08-2021, 02:32 PM
When we replaced all our carpet (entire upstairs) we didn't move a stitch of furniture. We packed up lose belongings and breakables and took sheets off the mattresses, but the installers moved furniture as they worked. IIRC, they worked room by room (or a few at a time) and packed furniture into the other rooms and then shifted. We hired a moving company when we had our downstairs hardwoods sanded and refinished. They moved everything out to the garage and then back in after the floors were complete. Since we moved out for a week, it wasn't a problem to have furniture stacked in the garage.

Still a pain any which way, but the result is always worth it!

Liziz
03-08-2021, 03:18 PM
I would talk to the place you're looking to buy carpet from. I think they likely have a solution/decent options for you, as you certainly aren't the first person to need to recarpet an entire house with furniture like that!

wendibird22
03-08-2021, 03:43 PM
I would talk to the place you're looking to buy carpet from. I think they likely have a solution/decent options for you, as you certainly aren't the first person to need to recarpet an entire house with furniture like that!

Our local carpet company (locally owned and in business for decades) charges and arm and a leg if their installers have to move furniture. And they said that in order for the carpet to be properly stretched it has to be 100% empty. Now, we did start to look at Lowes and Home Depot and it appears Home Depot will move empty furniture and beds that have already been disassembled.

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2021, 03:47 PM
Our local carpet company (locally owned and in business for decades) charges and arm and a leg if their installers have to move furniture. And they said that in order for the carpet to be properly stretched it has to be 100% empty. Now, we did start to look at Lowes and Home Depot and it appears Home Depot will move empty furniture and beds that have already been disassembled.

Be careful with them. I've heard some really bad stories of their installs since its all subcontractors and you never know who you'll get.
I think I would check a few more local stores. If you really do need to empty it, I'd pay a mover to figure it out. They could put it on the truck and back into the house in the same day if you don't have a basement or garage to work with.

gymnbomb
03-08-2021, 04:22 PM

We had our basement carpet replaced by Home Depot a few years ago. I will never do that again!! They only did an ok job at the installation, and they stole a $300 car seat out of my garage. We were home the whole time, but took my son out into the back yard to play so we wouldn't be in their way.

belovedgandp
03-08-2021, 04:44 PM
You can do it!

Our first home sounds almost exactly what you are doing. We'd lived there 14 years and the carpet was 17 years old when we replaced everything - 4 upstairs bedrooms, hallway, flight of stairs, and living/dining room on main level. Then we moved and did it all again in a larger home.

First thing, is they are remarkably fast. This will be a one day project to install. But yes, you will spend more time dismantling the day before and putting back than they do installing.

Second, you don't have to have all the rooms cleared for them to work all day. Ask what they prefer, but they are only going to work on a room or two at a time, so we played musical rooms.

To prep, I took everything off bookshelves and into storage tubs. Stacked all these in the hall/kid bathtub. The kids used our bathroom for one night. I had the hall bath stacked with all of their junk.

Morning of carpet install, slid all our master bedroom furniture into master bath. Put 2 rooms of kid furniture into one kid room. Once first kid room had carpet, we moved furniture into it to free up that room for carpet removal.

Both installers we had would dismantle and move stripped beds and dressers (even loaded with soft items). We did as much as we could without the extra muscle and evidently did more than most people. They will do closets with items hanging on rods.

Fair warning it is messy. We had just deep cleaned after having the hardwoods refinished and then did the carpet. I should have waited to do the cleaning until after carpet. So much dust was stirred up taking out the pad and carpet.

niccig
03-08-2021, 06:18 PM
When we renovated, we moved all items into the garage and a storage pod on the driveway. We hired 2 moving guys to move the bigger furniture items

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

Zansu
03-08-2021, 06:44 PM
We recently had carpet replaced throughout most of the house. We had to clear all surfaces and remove drawers. The installers moved the pieces from room to room as needed.

The office was the most difficult room to clear, and the living room was the easiest.

KpbS
03-08-2021, 09:28 PM
My vote is garage

KrisM
03-09-2021, 10:53 PM
We also need new carpet and the thought of moving things around to make it happen is completely overwhelming. I don't know how to do it. The family room is okay, because we could put things in the kitchen or even outside on the deck. But the bedrooms? I could put a dresser into the master bathroom, but not both dressers, a bed and night stands. Packing it all into boxes to take to the garage sounds like an amazing amount of work and time. The only way I can see doing it is one bedroom at a time and moving it all into other bedrooms.

dogmom
03-09-2021, 11:22 PM
You can also hire some movers to move furniture. Due to our stupid kitchen remodeler misinterpreting plans the kitchen island was placed a few inches to close to the refrigerator. They put the refrigerator in first, so after ten years and I went to replace it we found out it wouldn’t go around the either corner of the island. So I paid two moving guys from a local company the standard one hour rate to slide the old refrigerator out over the island and put the new one in. They brought their own blankets and straps. I have a back fusion any my DH couldn’t do it myself. Best $100 I ever spent. We need to redo our carpets at some point and I’ll do the same. Pack up crap, pay them for an hour or two of time to move it to garage ne pay them to move it back. I’m too old for this kind of stuff.