PDA

View Full Version : And now a never ending period

wendibird22
03-11-2021, 02:33 PM
So I started the new BCP two Sunday's ago in an attempt to control heavy bleeding. That Sunday also happened to be the first day of my period. And while I was thrilled that I didn't have the 1-2 heavy bleeding days I normally do (3-4 days in it was pure bliss, like "wow, this is how the other half lives!"), I've now been bleeding for 12 straight days. It's light, but my gosh, almost 2 weeks, come on! It's as if my body is saying listen, you are going to bleed 100+ml every cycle and it's either coming all in one day or spread out over 2 weeks, you pick your poison. Thankfully I use a menstrual cup and so just don't really even have to think about it (just empty at night before bed and in the a.m.), but still it's annoying. I certainly hope it's just a combo of me starting the pill at the same time as my cycle and my body adjusting to it.

AnnieW625
03-11-2021, 09:00 PM
I would call your doctor asap. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sariana
03-12-2021, 02:38 PM
I've had that happen a couple of times in the last 5 years or so, no birth control involved. My cycles just get wackier as I get older.

I didn't have my period at all from November until about a week ago. That one was really light and lasted only 3 days. Who knows what's coming next for me?

I'm 47, btw, so the long cycles started in my early 40s.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2021, 03:07 PM
That's me on continuous cycle pills - spotting or bleeding all. the. effing. time. - and I hated it enough to stop using them.

bisous
03-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Oh my gosh! That stinks. Hopefully this really is just a fluke and things get worked out. That's a long time!

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Oh no! That really stinks. Have you talked to your doctor? Is this normal for starting this new pill? I hope it slows down completely for you. I do remember a couple of times when I’d forget to take a pill and skip that day completely that I’d get my period and it would trickle for a few days. It was annoying (especially whe you aren’t expecting it and you stain your underwear), but it never got back to the levels of heavy flow I had before the pill. I hope it goes away soon for you!

essnce629
03-13-2021, 06:27 PM
That's me on continuous cycle pills - spotting or bleeding all. the. effing. time. - and I hated it enough to stop using them.This would happen to me when I was in college and on the pill. I'd want to skip my period because I was going out of town but when I'd take the pills continuously I'd still end up with light bleeding or spotting for longer than a normal period! It's like my period was determined to come every month no matter what. Even after giving birth and breastfeeding exclusively my periods came back at 5 and 6 WEEKS postpartum even with the mini pill.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

doberbrat
03-14-2021, 11:51 AM
This would happen to me when I was in college and on the pill. I'd want to skip my period because I was going out of town but when I'd take the pills continuously I'd still end up with light bleeding or spotting for longer than a normal period! It's like my period was determined to come every month no matter what. Even after giving birth and breastfeeding exclusively my periods came back at 5 and 6 WEEKS postpartum even with the mini pill. Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

Me too! I was so jealous of people who could just keep taking their bcp and not get a period or have it stop while nursing. Even with my IUD, I kept having a period for the 1st 3 YEARS! It was less to be sure, but it still came. ... eventually it did go away so OP, that might be something you consider. I specifically got the IUD due to heavy periods.

lizzywednesday
03-14-2021, 02:27 PM
This would happen to me when I was in college and on the pill. I'd want to skip my period because I was going out of town but when I'd take the pills continuously I'd still end up with light bleeding or spotting for longer than a normal period! It's like my period was determined to come every month no matter what. Even after giving birth and breastfeeding exclusively my periods came back at 5 and 6 WEEKS postpartum even with the mini pill.

I lucked out with the breastfeeding thing - made it ~11 months before it came back! - but continuous cycle pills? Nope.

Dayzy
03-15-2021, 09:30 PM
I have never had an easy period. It's always been at least a week and heavy for 3-4 days of that. Even when nursing my kids I got a period. Now I'm 44 and getting it every 19-21 days and having hot flashes. I'll be happy when this is over.

wendibird22
03-16-2021, 10:14 AM
Still spotting daily. I'm on week 3 of the first pill pack. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that after next week's "period" that things will reset with the start of the next pill pack.

Gracemom
03-16-2021, 08:24 PM
I once bled for 40 days and the doctor gave me progesterone which made it finally stop. Hope it stops soon for you.

MaiseyDog
03-25-2021, 11:56 AM
Sorry you are dealing with this. I never could find a BCP that didn't cause me to spot 3 out of 4 weeks (and goodness know I tried them ALL in my teens and 20's). I was able to use Nuvaring though so maybe talk to your MD about trying hormones in a different form.

wendibird22
03-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Ended up with a light period and spotting for 3 weeks. Now I'm on the placebo week and my period is as heavy as it every is. Sigh. But I'll give it another few packs. I don't seem to have any other side effects, so I'll see if a few months evens things out.

I did note that last night (day 3 of placebo pill) I woke up sweating like crazy (which happens when I'm not on the pill) and of course I'd strip off the blankets and then immediately freeze because the room was cold and I was damp with sweat. Oh good ole' hot flashes in the middle of the night, so glad those come back during placebo week!