PDA

View Full Version : Are you vaccinated?

hbridge
03-12-2021, 01:09 PM
It seems like so many people have been vaccinated. In our state, it is impossible to get the vaccine unless you fall into a few specific categories. I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated since many of my friends are traveling and all I want is to get a haircut, but don't feel comfortable with the numbers where they are.

So... Are you vaccinated:

erosenst
03-12-2021, 01:28 PM
Yes - first shot in, second next week. I'm older than most here (60) and it opened to 60+ a few weeks ago. I was able to find a spot the next day using our shockingly efficient online sign up, and being willing to drive 25 minutes.

It's been open to 50+ for a couple of weeks. Double edged sword - many here think it's because so many in our red state choosing to not get vaccinated (sigh).

o_mom
03-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Nope. They were supposed to open my age category next, but it has been delayed to move teachers and school staff ahead.

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2021, 01:41 PM
Nope. Even if I qualified (I don’t) it’s near impossible to schedule an appointment.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

PunkyBoo
03-12-2021, 01:43 PM
Got my first shot yesterday, second will be 4/1. But I only qualified because I work for a municipal agency (local govt) in a city that does not depend on the county for health services. So I qualified as an essential employee (second tier since I can telecommute). DH however has not qualified at all yet because out home county is still in age 65+ or essential workers (and despite him having to report to his workplace daily the entire pandemic, his job is not listed as essential for the vaccine). He plans to sign up and see if he can get an appointment soon anyway bc he's had tremendous exposure- 2 positive exposures at work (he tested negative both times) and he has been primary caregiver to his ailing (not covid related) parents during the pandemic and has had to take them to dr appointments at least once per week.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

bisous
03-12-2021, 01:45 PM
No. My age group isn't even close to being called up and my occupation and health status doesn't allow me to move forward either. I feel really hopeful because I see people around me in various categories (mostly age and occupation) getting the vaccine. I know my turn will come and while I am anxious, I can wait!

klwa
03-12-2021, 01:59 PM
I got a text yesterday that my group is expected to be eligible April 7th, so just waiting for that day. DH and I should both be eligible the same day.

specialp
03-12-2021, 02:02 PM
No.

My mother is and that is all I have wanted so I do not care if I'm dead last now! She's had no contact outside of her oncologist and curbside pickup so I've been so worried about her spirits. DH just got vaccinated (occupation). He didn't jump immediately just because it is so hard for seniors to find appointments here, but has to travel in two weeks so timed it so he would be fully vaccinated before then.

essnce629
03-12-2021, 02:15 PM
No. I'm 39 and don't work outside the home so will probably be last in line. My mom can't even get it yet since she doesn't turn 65 until May.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

MSWR0319
03-12-2021, 02:23 PM
Yes, but only because I got a left over dose at the end of the night that would have been thrown away. DH qualified with a heart condition so we schedule his appointment as one of the last, as I had heard many pharmacies were giving the left overs to anyone. When DH went in he asked if they had any extras and they told him to send me in. I feel super lucky! I’m also volunteering at the clinics run by the health department and the volunteers get the left overs so I would have probably gotten one this week or next that way.
I will get my second dose in a few weeks.

Kestrel
03-12-2021, 02:23 PM
I voted "other".

I have severe allergies, and haven't fully decided yet if I will. I'm leaning yes. However, my doctor wants me to have it done in the hospital in case I react. I am not yet eligible; last I heard not until June.

niccig
03-12-2021, 02:24 PM
I have through work (healthcare). DH won’t be able to get it for awhile. My main job through a school district hopes to open up their vaccinations to employee families once they get through staff and when the family member is eligible according to our state/county. Still expect it to be a few months for DH

AnnieW625
03-12-2021, 02:24 PM
I am getting my first dose this afternoon. I am getting it through my insurance provider (Kaiser). I am 43, work in an essential government sector (workers compensation insurance), and sadly my BMI is 30 and Kaiser has a really low healthy weight range (imho too low and I detest their reliance on BMI, but for once it sadly works to my advantage) and a BMI of 30+ qualifies now. I also have asthma (had it since I was a teen) as well and obesity is listed as a concern on my record and I have no other co morbidities that often come along with being overweight. I took their qualification survey last Friday thinking I would have to wait a while for the appointment (which I would’ve been fine with) and I honestly could’ve gotten it on Monday but I chose this Friday in case I have any reactions to it so I can rest tomorrow. I am honestly not sure if I am going to publicize on social media that I have had it because I don’t want people getting irritated that I am able to get it. My county has done an amazing job at managing the vaccine and I am guessing that Kaiser has as well otherwise they wouldn’t be able to open it up to include others who probably wouldn’t qualify as well.

My DH is 46 and he doesn’t qualify. He is not overweight and his job isn’t essential, but he could probably qualify as a safety engineer which Kaiser listed as one of their occupations who now qualify.

ETA: I voted 1/2 way there.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wencit
03-12-2021, 02:29 PM
No. I don't qualify in my state. Next week, my county will start vaccinating people with serious health issues, and I don't qualify based on their list. To be honest, it's hard for me not to feel jealous when so many people seem to be getting their vaccines, especially in other states. I'm trying soooo hard to be patient!

sariana
03-12-2021, 02:33 PM
I got my first dose last week, and my second is scheduled for 3/25. I got a code from my employer (school district).

gymnbomb
03-12-2021, 02:37 PM
No. I am 38 with no underlying conditions and I work (from home through summer then back on campus full time) in higher ed which is not on any priority lists. I would get it today if I could. But I am ok waiting my turn as long as I can get fully vaccinated before I have to be back in a classroom with no ventilation with 150 18 year olds who think they are invincible.

JBaxter
03-12-2021, 03:08 PM
Im not planning on getting it. When I gave blood in December i was notified I had antibodies As some point prior to Dec 14 I had covid. I vaguely remember having a mild cold a month or so before but no real symptoms. I still have antibodies and have been donating plasma every 2 weeks since the end of January. I fully support everyone who wants a vaccine get one but Im not ( or DH or DS3 & DS4)

KrisM
03-12-2021, 03:42 PM
I got the first one yesterday. They opened this week to age 50+ with various conditions and will to all 50+ on the 22nd. I am overweight, but otherwise healthy and really debated going now or waiting. But I coach and mentor 2 different robotics teams. One is 15 kids/adults and the other is maybe 35 people. We wear masks and cohort into groups, but we are definitely not always 6' apart because you can't supervise building a robot from 6' away, safely. So I decided to see if I could get an appointment and lucked out. I had one, but it put shot #2 in the middle of a competition week, so I tried again and snagged one for yesterday. It was about an hours drive, but they seem to have quite a few openings most days, so it was fast once I was there.

lizzywednesday
03-12-2021, 03:50 PM
Yes, I am fully vaccinated, but my state has pretty big buckets for qualifying people.

While I don't regret getting my 2-dose series, I do think they opened categories faster than they should have with the production and stockpile delays that have impacted the rollout to people who have more risk factors than I do.

Now with the J&J vaccine, I am hopeful that the difficulty in newly-qualified people connecting with appointments for any vaccine will ease a little bit, especially with the announcement that Merck will help ramp up production.

twowhat?
03-12-2021, 04:06 PM
I am, due to a qualifying health condition accepted at the academic hospital system here (asthma) and due to the way my state (TX) rolled out vaccines. But also due to dedicated online stalking and privilege (able to pick up and drive whenever I could get an appointment). Otherwise, the roll-out in my state started a bit rocky though it is starting to smooth out a bit now. And I've been able to help a few others secure appointments.

Tenasparkl
03-12-2021, 04:13 PM
No. My age group isn't even close to being called up and my occupation and health status doesn't allow me to move forward either. I feel really hopeful because I see people around me in various categories (mostly age and occupation) getting the vaccine. I know my turn will come and while I am anxious, I can wait!

Same here! I'm trying to be hopeful and not frustrated (but I'm a little frustrated too!)

Globetrotter
03-12-2021, 04:24 PM
Although I have asthma, I don’t qualify here in CA. I would have loved to at least get one dose before spring break, but that’s not looking likely :(

I’m feeling left out because a number of my friends work in education or otherwise qualify and got it already, even Dd due to her volunteer job! But I have an equal number of friends who are waiting.
I know someone with no risk factors who traveled to a low income area and got it at an open vaccine drive- no questions asked- but honestly I don’t think that’s ethical and it defeats the purpose of the vaccine drive. Ugh.

carolinacool
03-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Not yet, but I'll be eligible (underlying conditions) starting Wednesday in my state. Yesterday, the state moved that group's eligibility up a week, which it has been doing regularly lately.

DH got his first shot today. His industry qualified as essential. He works at home, but I didn't feel bad at.all signing him up because he also has underlying conditions. He went to the FEMA clinic in our city, which opened earlier this week. They are seeing thousands of people a day, so I'm hopefully I'll snag an appointment next week.

ETA: FEMA released more appointments this evening and I grabbed one for next Thursday.

pinay
03-12-2021, 04:48 PM
Got my first one almost 2 weeks ago, scheduled for the second at the end of the month. Once they opened up to educators, I got an appointment at a local pharmacy instead of waiting for the convoluted process they devised for us to get vaccinated. DH is fully vaccinated, he works in a hospital setting with homeless veterans as his main clients, so he was near the top of the list. I'm looking forward to being fully vaccinated, then I'll feel more comfortable returning to the classroom- I miss seeing my students and look forward to being able to do so in a safer manner!

marymoo86
03-12-2021, 05:27 PM
Nope - don't do flu either. But not signing up for an EUA vax in any circumstance.
I don't think many people understand the difference between authorized and approved

billysmommy
03-12-2021, 06:21 PM
Yes. DH and I have been fully vaxed for almost a month. We both work in non-covid facing healthcare so were at the end of phase 1. Our boys are pre-registered so will get a text when they become eligible. Ds18 should be eligible by early/mid summer. Ds15 should be eligible by the end of summer/early fall unless they open it to under 16 earlier.

zukeypur
03-12-2021, 06:31 PM
Yes, but only because I was in one of the trials. I was unblinded last week, although I already knew I had the vaccine due to side effects.

DH is high risk and was FINALLY able to get a first shot. He will have his second at the end of the month.

MSWR0319
03-12-2021, 06:52 PM
Although I have asthma, I don’t qualify here in CA. I would have loved to at least get one dose before spring break, but that’s not looking likely :(

I’m feeling left out because a number of my friends work in education or otherwise qualify and got it already, even Dd due to her volunteer job! But I have an equal number of friends who are waiting.
I know someone with no risk factors who traveled to a low income area and got it at an open vaccine drive- no questions asked- but honestly I don’t think that’s ethical and it defeats the purpose of the vaccine drive. Ugh.

My SIL and BIL supposedly have appointments for shots this weeeknd in CA. BIL may qualify because he has heart issues, but there’s no way SIL does. She’s early 40s with no health issues and doesn’t qualify for work either. She’s either lying to MIL so she’ll come watch her kids or lying to get the vaccine. Neither would surprise me but I’m so irritated at the thought of her lying and taking the vaccine from someone who actually qualifies.

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2021, 06:57 PM
Nope - don't do flu either. But not signing up for an EUA vax in any circumstance.
I don't think many people understand the difference between authorized and approved

Know but trust my good friend that works at the CDC as opposed to some other sources. I feel comfortable taking it.

gatorsmom
03-12-2021, 07:14 PM

I hear you but there are no good solutions. Here are my family’s options: 1) Dh has a compromised immune system and I have asthma. We do nothing, act like it’s a big scam (like a bunch of people we know), and Dh gets severely ill (a likelihood according to his doctor). 2) We are very cautious- kids virtual learning at home not seeing friends except once per week, no indoor activities with friends or family to protect DH’s health. Our kids are getting depressed and I haven’t hugged elderly relatives for 12+ months. Or 3) Dh and I get the vaccine and visit with relatives and kids go back to school knowing that our likelihood of getting very ill is substantially reduced. We MAY have an increased risk of an unexpected illness later.

DH and I chose to get vaccinated. We are willing to risk it for our kids and elderly family.

KpbS
03-12-2021, 07:24 PM
Double post

KpbS
03-12-2021, 07:25 PM
No. I am 38 with no underlying conditions and I work (from home through summer then back on campus full time) in higher ed which is not on any priority lists. I would get it today if I could. But I am ok waiting my turn as long as I can get fully vaccinated before I have to be back in a classroom with no ventilation with 150 18 year olds who think they are invincible.

Higher Ed is included in my state along with all educators. I hope you can get yours soon!

scrooks
03-12-2021, 09:53 PM
Nope... sadly I don’t qualify yet. I’m impatiently waiting : (

AngB
03-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Yes, I got it in Dec and Jan as a healthcare worker.

My dad and grandmother got their second doses of Moderna yesterday and my mom her first dose. They had to drive almost 2 hours away to a more rural area but it was worth it. I'm not sure my 97 yo grandmother would have even gotten her first dose yet if they had waited for something local.

gymnbomb
03-12-2021, 10:32 PM
Higher Ed is included in my state along with all educators. I hope you can get yours soon!

Thanks! Here they are only doing child care providers (including preschool and pre-k) and K-12 teachers and staff for educators. But I have a few more months before I have to start worrying about it.

I go to campus once a week or so now, but I have a private office and there are not a lot of people in my building right now, so it is a place I feel very safe for the moment. I meet my students on Zoom from my office some weeks and from my basement other weeks.

I am much more worried about my husband who is a service technician who is in and out of different customer sites in different states every day (he covers all of New England and sometimes NY and NJ). And he told me last month that a lot of people at the places he goes don’t wear masks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

specialp
03-12-2021, 10:41 PM
I am getting my first dose this afternoon. I am getting it through my insurance provider (Kaiser). I am 43, work in an essential government sector (workers compensation insurance), and sadly my BMI is 30 and Kaiser has a really low healthy weight range (imho too low and I detest their reliance on BMI, but for once it sadly works to my advantage) and a BMI of 30+ qualifies now. I also have asthma (had it since I was a teen) as well and obesity is listed as a concern on my record and I have no other co morbidities that often come along with being overweight. I took their qualification survey last Friday thinking I would have to wait a while for the appointment (which I would’ve been fine with) and I honestly could’ve gotten it on Monday but I chose this Friday in case I have any reactions to it so I can rest tomorrow. I am honestly not sure if I am going to publicize on social media that I have had it because I don’t want people getting irritated that I am able to get it. My county has done an amazing job at managing the vaccine and I am guessing that Kaiser has as well otherwise they wouldn’t be able to open it up to include others who probably wouldn’t qualify as well.

My DH is 46 and he doesn’t qualify. He is not overweight and his job isn’t essential, but he could probably qualify as a safety engineer which Kaiser listed as one of their occupations who now qualify.

ETA: I voted 1/2 way there.

There’s data to back up a higher BMI and more serious cases of Covid so while I do not know where to draw the BMI line, I would not hesitate just because that is my “only” qualifier. It's one which is backed up. When dealing with large populations, they have to go based on big statistics, all of which seem arbitrary when you get into the specifics. Someone who is 59 with three comorbidities probably has a similar risk profile as a fit 78 who has none, you know? But statistically, 65+ have a bad outcome as a whole even if that's because most 65+ have another issue as well so that’s where to draw the line. I have no issue with states taking this route. I wish my state would have focused more on risk rather than value of services by a person. There’s a valuation of people/ ick factor here for me. Working from home = pretty much zero risk from exposure via job no matter how important your job is. Having certain health issues increases your risk greatly, no matter how unimportant your job seems …. If you even have one or even if you lost your job because of this very pandemic. Many people see the opposite and jobs should go over risks or strictly age over jobs. None of it even approaches perfect. I do not envy the ones making these decisions (although I suspect a lot of influence.)

I wouldn’t post about it, however. I saw this AP piece floating (https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-mixed-emotions-830abb8267f5078693ffa2013b7ced4d) around and it really bugged me that the third option - do not post - never occurred to anyone. Demand is high and supply is low. That may change one day so take pictures, share with loved ones, be happy/relieved/scared. Be whatever feels right. and if ever the time is right, share to show you received and survived the vaccine and are glad you did! But now isn’t the time, IMO.

ahisma
03-12-2021, 10:53 PM
Yes - I was vaccinated early on as in-person healthcare essential services (non-clinical). DH was vaccinated days later as an in-person high school teacher. We did not post on social media, but did share with close friends. Vaccines were so scarce at the time, it felt rude to post.

Kindra178
03-12-2021, 11:46 PM
I just got a note from my medical practice and booked next week. I already had covid and figured The first appt would be in May. They had tons of appts.

Indianamom2
03-13-2021, 12:16 AM
I am 6 weeks out from my 1st dose and a month out from the 2nd. I work for a hospital (though non-patient facing.) I did volunteer at a couple of large community vax clinics after my first vax, however, since I was safer and able to do so.

jent
03-13-2021, 12:21 AM
Yes, I’m in health care so got my vaccines in January. I wouldn’t qualify under our state’s rules otherwise. DH is not eligible yet.

#2ontheway
03-13-2021, 02:27 AM

But I am guessing that there is literally nothing that could convince you to get the vaccine, so why weigh in?

As for me, not yet, but oh, I hope soon. One of our best days this year was when my ER doc husband got his. So grateful.

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 03:07 AM
But I am guessing that there is literally nothing that could convince you to get the vaccine, so why weigh in?

The OP asked who is vaccinated. Why shouldn’t Marymoo respond?

dogmom
03-13-2021, 09:33 AM
Here is my opinion: I think the OP was talking about being frustrated that she couldn’t get vaccinated and the response yes 2, yes 1, no still waiting and other. If people who have no intention of getting the vaccine want to respond I think clicking other would be best. I also suspect people don’t want to have this devolve into an argument about vaccines. Most of you know I’m more that ready to throw down about vaccines, but given the stress people feel about getting this vaccine it would be kind to avoid that and just answer the question put forward. So if you want to say you aren’t getting the vaccine, just do so. Don’t bait and everyone else don’t call them out if they say they aren’t. Start a new thread for that.
To be clear, I don’t think MaryMoo was baiting or anyone else was out of line. I just don’t want it to go that way.

twowhat?
03-13-2021, 09:40 AM
I wouldn’t post about it, however. I saw this AP piece floating (https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-vaccine-rollout-mixed-emotions-830abb8267f5078693ffa2013b7ced4d) around and it really bugged me that the third option - do not post - never occurred to anyone. Demand is high and supply is low. That may change one day so take pictures, share with loved ones, be happy/relieved/scared. Be whatever feels right. and if ever the time is right, share to show you received and survived the vaccine and are glad you did! But now isn’t the time, IMO.

I felt this way too, since I was vaccinated fairly “early” on in the process. Same with the grandparents (who I searched for/secured shots for so they were able to get it a little earlier compared to some friends’ grandparents). We all took lots of pics but haven’t posted about ANY of our vaccinations because it feels too early, with so many people wanting and waiting to be vaccinated. Maybe I’ll post in the summer when most everyone who wants a shot should have been able to get shots.

The people who have asked directly are very surprised to find that both DH and I have risk factors. Even my good friends had no idea I have asthma or that DH has a heart valve defect and hypertension. On the outside we look totally healthy. It’s not like we go around talking about our health issues lol.

Philly Mom
03-13-2021, 09:47 AM
I am fully vaccinated. I had my second shot a week ago. I am so relieved. I am immune compromised. I am thankful.

o_mom
03-13-2021, 11:12 AM

It wasn't the response that was a problem, but the sideswipe that anyone who would get an EUA vaccine must be ignorant.

doberbrat
03-13-2021, 11:29 AM
There’s data to back up a higher BMI and more serious cases of Covid so while I do not know where to draw the BMI line, I would not hesitate just because that is my “only” qualifier. It's one which is backed up. When dealing with large populations, they have to go based on big statistics, all of which seem arbitrary when you get into the specifics. Someone who is 59 with three comorbidities probably has a similar risk profile as a fit 78 who has none, you know? But statistically, 65+ have a bad outcome as a whole even if that's because most 65+ have another issue as well so that’s where to draw the line. I have no issue with states taking this route. I wish my state would have focused more on risk rather than value of services by a person. There’s a valuation of people/ ick factor here for me. Working from home = pretty much zero risk from exposure via job no matter how important your job is. Having certain health issues increases your risk greatly, no matter how unimportant your job seems …. If you even have one or even if you lost your job because of this very pandemic. Many people see the opposite and jobs should go over risks or strictly age over jobs. None of it even approaches perfect. I do not envy the ones making these decisions (although I suspect a lot of influence.)

BMI is a huge risk factor and one of the ways I qualified 'early' but I also did not post about it. I too was feeling a bit guilty but I happened to have a drs appt right when they opened up 2+ comorbidities and he read me the riot act about getting a shot ASAP.

In fact, the only people who knew I got my 1st shot were my mother, dh, 2 close friends - because I was able to get appts for family members who qualified for them, and the teacher I share a room with. I saw too many ugly posts on FB about who should qualify 'first' 1M+ people vying for <100k shots = frustration, anxiety, anger and a whole lot of other emotions I didnt want to fuel. My personal opinion is if you are eligible and you can get a shot, go for it. Dont lie or cheat but dont be a martyr either. Then, pay it forward and help someone else get a shot. And yes, I DO understand the difference between approval and EUA.

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 12:11 PM
It wasn't the response that was a problem, but the sideswipe that anyone who would get an EUA vaccine must be ignorant.

“I don’t think many people know the difference between authorized and approved.”

I don’t see how she’s calling anyone ignorant here. She’s probably right. I don’t know the fine differences between the two. I’d guess most of my non-health are friends don’t either.

Maybe I’m sensitive to the cancel culture that seems to exist today. It seems it’s ok to tell people to go away and not comment if we don’t like what they say.

bcafe
03-13-2021, 12:36 PM

As for me, not yet, but oh, I hope soon. One of our best days this year was when my ER doc husband got his. So grateful.
And this is the reason posters are "afraid" to post differing opinions on this board. I've really noticed lately how there is no dissent on any topic.

o_mom
03-13-2021, 12:54 PM
“I don’t think many people know the difference between authorized and approved.”

I don’t see how she’s calling anyone ignorant here. She’s probably right. I don’t know the fine differences between the two. I’d guess most of my non-health are friends don’t either.

Maybe I’m sensitive to the cancel culture that seems to exist today. It seems it’s ok to tell people to go away and not comment if we don’t like what they say.

"But not signing up for an EUA vax in any circumstance. I don’t think many people know the difference between authorized and approved."

Put together it reads that she has decided that EUA vaccines are automatically unsafe, and that people who don't think that just don't understand or haven't done their research. It is implied that if only people smart enough/could be bothered to research, they would not take it.

I am not a fan of people claiming that just because they didn't explicitly say something, that it is not implied or intended.

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 01:07 PM
"But not signing up for an EUA vax in any circumstance. I don’t think many people know the difference between authorized and approved."

Put together it reads that she has decided that EUA vaccines are automatically unsafe, and that people who don't think that just don't understand or haven't done their research. It is implied that if only people smart enough/could be bothered to research, they would not take it.

I am not a fan of people claiming that just because they didn't explicitly say something, that it is not implied or intended.

I didn’t get that impression the first time I read her comment. I read that we would all be well-served to dig a little deeper into those vaccines. And frankly, isn’t that most of us here promote anyway? Doing our own research, digging deeper?

The fact is our society is fractured as the result of the last year. Everyone has struggled. Marymoo is well known as an outspoken conservative here on this left-tipping community. Conservatives have said many times here that we do not feel comfortable speaking out minds here. Now would be a good time to make everyone feel welcome and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

AnnieW625
03-13-2021, 01:10 PM

I didn’t post about it on my feeds, but mentioned it in my BFF’s page as she posted she is eligible (she works for a small candy company in a not so populated county so she qualified as a good worker, but she also has obesity as a factor) and scheduled her appointment. I read the article as well so thanks for linking that.

AnnieW625
03-13-2021, 01:24 PM
I didn’t get that impression the first time I read her comment. I read that we would all be well-served to dig a little deeper into those vaccines. And frankly, isn’t that most of us here promote anyway? Doing our own research, digging deeper?

The fact is our society is fractured as the result of the last year. Everyone has struggled. Marymoo is well known as an outspoken conservative here on this left-tipping community. Conservatives have said many times here that we do not feel comfortable speaking out minds here. Now would be a good time to make everyone feel welcome and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I very much agree with this; especially in the last year I do feel like this forum as a whole has become very left leaning to almost an uncomfortable left on some topics. I am a registered Democrat centrist (married to a Republican who voted for Trump again.....won’t go into that again) but I do feel for those who are more centrist and right leaning and want to still participate here, but they feel like they have to walk on eggshells because someone else will rip their posts apart for having those political opinions. I don’t think Marymoo meant any harm in posting she wasn’t going to get the vaccine and her response was short and not full of explanations so I think could be why it rubbed some the wrong way. We are all parents and I have to say for most of being here post toddler stages we are a very friendly group who whether we agree or not something would have each others back if we were all friends in real life.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2021, 02:31 PM
I think that past posts/behavior of others carries over to all threads. It’s hard to forget when people stir up controversy or say very inflammatory things. Doesn’t matter what side of the political fence you’re on...I personally remember when those things happen and I’m sure others have good memories too. So, our reactions might carry that baggage.

JBaxter
03-13-2021, 02:34 PM
And this is the reason posters are "afraid" to post differing opinions on this board. I've really noticed lately how there is no dissent on any topic.

Sad isn't it.

MSWR0319
03-13-2021, 02:43 PM
I think that past posts/behavior of others carries over to all threads. It’s hard to forget when people stir up controversy or say very inflammatory things. Doesn’t matter what side of the political fence you’re on...I personally remember when those things happen and I’m sure others have good memories too. So, our reactions might carry that baggage.

:yeahthat: Especially when the behavior is constant.

♥ms.pacman♥
03-13-2021, 03:01 PM
Nope, still waiting..... I suppose i could volunteer and get it that way, but difficult to find time with work etc
DH has gotten his first dose and is scheduled for March 23 for his 2nd dose (Moderna). he qualifies due to his BMI and sleep apnea

i really hope i can get my first dose in April, so we can visit my ILs over Memorial Day weekend (they are fully vaxed). haven't seen any family in over a year. :(

♥ms.pacman♥
03-13-2021, 03:32 PM

Agreed with this, that is exactly the impression I got.

If the post had said something like "No, and I have no plans for me or my family to get the vaccine because I believe x,y,z or in my case we dealt with a,b,c " (like another poster) i don't think that would have gotten same negative reaction, at least from me. We are all entitled to our own beliefs/choices about our families and i agree we shouldn't try to silence others who may see it differently .

Though to me the statement implies that many people choosing to getting the vax or who are very eager to get the vax , in large part were somehow misinformed and therefore making an incorrect choice. I think that is the part that some may have been bothered by.

granted, no one should be made to feel like they can't weigh in on a topic bc they feel differently from most. i think this a highly sensitive topic for many.

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 03:35 PM

You are right. It’s hard to forget when someone is snarky and mean to you. I’m guessing Mary moo has felt this a few times as the solitary conservative in several threads here and she responds in a blunt way for the same reason you said- it’s hard to forget when you are piled on or spoken to rudely.

So then what is the solution? Keep fighting with each other? Make it clear to Marymoo and others who have a different viewpoint that they are bit sensitive about that their views are no longer welcome here? Or keep trying to give each other the benefit of the doubt knowing we are all struggling in some way and move on?

bisous
03-13-2021, 03:50 PM
I'd like to raise my hand and apologize for having strong opinions, sometimes inartfully expressed over the past year. I hope that if I ever offended anyone that you will accept my apology. I have dealt with stronger emotions regarding things as disparate as politics and science over the past year. I think my behavior was actually worse with people I know in real life. I had moments when I disagreed with grace and I feel good about those and other moments where I had a lot of ugliness and I regret it. I am trying to be better about expressing my opinion. I do value multiple points of view. I also think that sometimes the discordant viewpoint has some truth in it. It would be a shame if those voices were silenced and we missed out on challenges to the mainstream point of view.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2021, 04:07 PM
You are right. It’s hard to forget when someone is snarky and mean to you. I’m guessing Mary moo has felt this a few times as the solitary conservative in several threads here and she responds in a blunt way for the same reason you said- it’s hard to forget when you are piled on or spoken to rudely.

So then what is the solution? Keep fighting with each other? Make it clear to Marymoo and others who have a different viewpoint that they are bit sensitive about that their views are no longer welcome here? Or keep trying to give each other the benefit of the doubt knowing we are all struggling in some way and move on?

While some of us have long memories and it affects how we react to others, we also "know" the whole person and take that into account. If a member's only contribution is to stir the pot and shout down others then it's not great for the community. But, if they are engaged across the board- offering helpful advice, offering support, offering ideas/ solutions- then it is easier to want to honestly engage with someone because they are obviously on the same page with wanting to support the community.

gatorsmom
03-13-2021, 04:33 PM
While some of us have long memories and it affects how we react to others, we also "know" the whole person and take that into account. If a member's only contribution is to stir the pot and shout down others then it's not great for the community. But, if they are engaged across the board- offering helpful advice, offering support, offering ideas/ solutions- then it is easier to want to honestly engage with someone because they are obviously on the same page with wanting to support the community.

I completely understand your viewpoint and agree that it’s easier to forgive the people we are familiar with, the ones who contribute in other ways. So again I’d like to know- do we treat people like Marymoo differently? Be less willing to give her the benefit of the doubt? Because I just don’t see how Marymoos comment on this thread was so grievous that she deserved to be shut down. She didn’t swear, she wasn’t insulting of anyone in particular, she wasn’t even rude. Many times I’ve seen people here say we have to remember that we can’t hear others’ tone. And she isn’t the only member here who I have seen refraining from commenting in more than one forum.

Insisting that posters speak and respond a certain way (if they don’t want to be shut down), doesn’t really welcome communication and sharing.

basil
03-13-2021, 04:34 PM
I got the Pfizer vaccine the first week it was available in December, as did DH. All the doctors I know who hadn't had COVID got it as soon as they could. I think a previous COVID infection is a perfectly good reason to hold off, especially at this moment when vaccines are scarce.

I really couldn't care less if other people choose not to get the vaccine. IME, a lot of people really want it. I've only hit one patient who was eligible who didn't have plans to get it (she was waiting for J&J), and my sample includes a lot of Black and Latino people. I think there is probably a not insignificant overlap between people who don't want the vaccine and those who have already had COVID.

I also couldn't care less what other people think of my choice to get the vaccine. For me, in December, the choice was to get the vaccine or eventually get COVID. There was no choice of continue to isolate until it goes away. I was/am confident that vaccine is safer than COVID infection.

lmwbasye
03-13-2021, 04:35 PM
DH and I were vaccinated last month. He’s a soldier. I’m a sub.

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2021, 04:43 PM
I completely understand your viewpoint and agree that it’s easier to forgive the people we are familiar with, the ones who contribute in other ways. So again I’d like to know- do we treat people like Marymoo differently? Be less willing to give her the benefit of the doubt? Because I just don’t see how Marymoos comment on this thread was so grievous that she deserved to be shut down. She didn’t swear, she wasn’t insulting of anyone in particular, she wasn’t even rude. Many times I’ve seen people here say we have to remember that we can’t hear others’ tone. And she isn’t the only member here who I have seen refraining from commenting in more than one forum.

Insisting that posters speak and respond a certain way (if they don’t want to be shut down), doesn’t really welcome communication and sharing.

I’m willing to be welcoming and inclusive but it has to go both ways. If someone only shows up on controversial threads but none others there’s no chance to get to know them and give them the benefit of the doubt.
I absolutely read her response on this thread as insinuating that those getting the vaccine are clueless. This comes because of her replies on many other vaccine and medical threads. I could very well be wrong and I’ll apologize if i am.

bcafe
03-13-2021, 04:50 PM
But, it does matter what side of the fence you are on.

hbridge
03-13-2021, 04:55 PM
OP Here...

See, this is what is really interesting to me... Over 50% of the people who responded have at least started the vaccination process. That confirms what I have been seeing in my world. YET, in my state, it is impossible to get an appointment, the criteria keeps changing, ect. I know that my family will not be prioritized since we are not getting services from the groups that are vaccinating and our diagnoses are not covered in the very specific list. The thing that is most frustrating is the at the "rules" are different for those who have been vaccinated so it is becoming a badge of honor and freedom to have gotten the vaccine. Every time the president comes on and set a new priority group or a new date for vaccine eligibility, I cringe.

If they would just set the prioritization and move forward without CHANGING IT!!! OR the federal government take over and set the same criteria for the whole country!

marymoo86
03-13-2021, 05:07 PM

Not my intent and obviously can't control how people interpret my response. But if you read OPs comment : "It seems like so many people have been vaccinated. In our state, it is impossible to get the vaccine unless you fall into a few specific categories. I am getting EXTREMELY frustrated since many of my friends are traveling and all I want is to get a haircut, but don't feel comfortable with the numbers where they are.

So... Are you vaccinated: "

I take that to mean she isn't in a specialized population so it's curious to me that getting an EUA vaccine is a big desire so there is confidence to get a haircut? This falls in line with many comments I have seen on social media and the firestorm in our area about returning to in person instruction.
Seems cavalier?

mRNA technology isn't new but this is the first vax to be successful in humans. In the Pfizer trials, mostly healthy trial population has been studied and due to EUA there is zero manufacturer liability. I am surprised there isn't more pause among relatively healthy people given that COVID seems to be serious in obese, elderly, or health compromised people that perhaps the risk of a new vaccine may not outweigh the risk of COVID. It's a very personal risk/benefit analysis given we have no idea what (or if) any long-term safety implications. Hopefully there aren't any.

However, I have seen many that seem to hear "vaccine" and not even questioned it. For example, I have a friend who has ME/CFS + Lyme that sought out a vax. I asked her which one she signed up for - didn't know. Asked her how were the side effects for her particular health population - didn't know. She's a smart woman but the fear over the past year + thought of a miracle cure and reduced worry was greater than the desire to research or ask questions. She didn't realize the actual trial portion ends in 2023.

Just b/c many here are more in-tune and likely to follow the research (and I hope it is the actual trial documents/data and not relying on CDC) doesn't mean the vast population does so. So that's the rationale behind my statement of authorized versus approved.

Gatorsmom/bcafe - thank you for being generous and not reading into something that was never there.

Kestrel
03-13-2021, 05:45 PM
Thank you for your opinion, Marymoo. You echo a lot of things i have been asking about, too.

As I have said in other threads, I am concerned about mRNA vaccine and would like to have more time before I have to decide. And while the CDC keeps saying that the vaccines are safe and effective, they only really know what's come up in their limited data. While that may very well be true, rare side effects are rare by definition; some things may not show up for a while yet. And they haven't even begun testing for children; and I'm really scared it's going to be required for school next year.

I understand why many have gotten the vaccine right away. My DH has health issues and will get the vaccine as soon as he is able (mid-April); though we're leaning hard to J&J and not mRNA. For myself (severe allergies but otherwise pretty healthy) and my child, I just don't know.

hellokitty
03-13-2021, 09:52 PM
DH and I are both in healthcare, so yes we're both vaccinated.

hwin708
03-13-2021, 11:01 PM

The flip side of that is that there was a real disinformation campaign surrounding this vaccine and so much ignorance, that there is now a push to counter that with people showing that the vaccine is safe. And that counter campaign works. For example, nursing home workers were amongst the first to get access to the vaccine here. And barely 50% chose to get vaccinated. Now, having seen their coworkers vaccinated and doing well, that number has increased to around 85%. Some nursing homes have 100% of their staff vaccinated. That's a big leap in acceptance, based primarily in just knowing people who have gotten the shot.

The walk-in mass sites have selfie stations. Hospitals are giving out pins saying "I just got vaccinated! Ask me how!" to help spread the word on how to register. Even if people aren't eligible yet, they want them registered and on waiting lists to get called once they are. The people distributing the vaccine WANT the people receiving it to spread the word, loud and proud. And yet, there is this feeling that we need to hide it in shame. It's a strange and difficult dichotomy.

Indianamom2
03-13-2021, 11:27 PM
The flip side of that is that there was a real disinformation campaign surrounding this vaccine and so much ignorance, that there is now a push to counter that with people showing that the vaccine is safe. And that counter campaign works. For example, nursing home workers were amongst the first to get access to the vaccine here. And barely 50% chose to get vaccinated. Now, having seen their coworkers vaccinated and doing well, that number has increased to around 85%. Some nursing homes have 100% of their staff vaccinated. That's a big leap in acceptance, based primarily in just knowing people who have gotten the shot.

The walk-in mass sites have selfie stations. Hospitals are giving out pins saying "I just got vaccinated! Ask me how!" to help spread the word on how to register. Even if people aren't eligible yet, they want them registered and on waiting lists to get called once they are. The people distributing the vaccine WANT the people receiving it to spread the word, loud and proud. And yet, there is this feeling that we need to hide it in shame. It's a strange and difficult dichotomy.

This is the reason I did happily post about receiving the vax relatively early. I qualified as an employee of a hospital system, but I work entirely from home. There is a remote chance that I could called in if there were to be a massive surge, but otherwise, I work from home. I also have a couple of risk factors including obesity and Type A blood type which tends to get the most severe cases of COVID.

I got my first dose January 5, which was very early given my age (42). I wanted to share that I had been vaccinated without issues because it was early in the process and there has been SO MUCH fear mongering and disinformation. My hospital encouraged sharing our experience as well, probably to help alleviate fears regarding the much-hyped reactions. I also used the early vaccination as an opportunity to serve at vaccine clinics because they have required a massive volunteer effort and I knew I was safe to help get others vaccinated.

mom2binsd
03-14-2021, 02:44 AM
I was vaccinated back in Jan, I am a SLP in a nursing home. Most people I know over 75 have been vaccinated in our county, and friends who are teachers are also done, as well as those who work in grocery stores etc.

In the last week, lots of vaccines have arrived in our county and many people seem to be getting theirs done.

A friend's daughter who is 20 and lives in Manhattan, models and works at Kendra Scott, I saw on her Instagram that she got her covid vaccine in Flushing, NY at 4 am today at a stadium clinic. Am assuming it's because she works retail.

specialp
03-14-2021, 08:38 AM

True. That number was always going to improve over time just because people did not want to be the first to go, but it got there quick! It’s also fairly common for people to want something they didn’t want just because it is scarce and everyone else wants it and that is scary in a different way. But it is okay to read the room and what Annie was debating and what the link discussed is definitely in the air. I do wonder if that is why some states are focusing more in rural areas? It could be mismanagement or political …. nothing surprises me at this point, but I have wondered if there’s a desire to have locals or more hesitant areas see all these people willing to drive in to get one and whether that is the intent or not, maybe it helps. This week it was very easy to make appointments so it is much improved, but as for your last few lines, there is a huge disconnect between the people distributing the vaccine and the ones needing it. When you see people coming in day after day (often not legitimately eligible) and no shows, it looks like vaccines are plentiful and that all one has to do is put a little effort in and anyone can get it. They aren’t the ones making appointments. It’s very easy once you know which portals open at midnight, 7, 8, how to access them earlier in areas with tight competition, which places refresh at what time and which ones never do, who has tons of no shows a day (any place that makes you call into a live person to cancel), who utilizes their waitlist and who doesn’t, but it is definitely a type of effort that not everyone can put in.

Those in the know suggest this will not be our last dance with a pandemic and we need to be taking notes now. Yes, major mistakes from the top, but also many along the way. So it will be interesting to look back and see who “wore it better” as far as states and their tiers and rollout. If I imagine a disease that is the same in every way, but it targets children rather than adults/seniors, how should distribution be done then? Should priorities be done the same way and why or why not. There are a lot of lessons to be learned and I hope we are learning them, from top to bottom.

jgenie
03-14-2021, 10:21 AM

I didn’t comment but read it the same way.