PDA

View Full Version : Teens and acne

Melaine
03-15-2021, 09:36 AM
What has been working for your teens with pretty classic t zone acne?

khm
03-15-2021, 09:51 AM
What has been working for your teens with pretty classic t zone acne?

Dermatologist. My 18 year old is still mad at me that I didn't take her to the derm at the first sign of acne when she was younger. When I did take her, they fixed it like magic. I never thought it was "bad", but she strongly disagrees. :)

MSWR0319
03-15-2021, 09:54 AM
The term told us Differin gel for "active" acne and we recently added the Differin face wash. As long as he keeps up with it, it works. If he doesn't, it flares right back up. My friend had B/G twins the same age and only the girl has acne. She was given the same regiment and told to keep her bangs off of her forehead. It seems to be working for her as well, though I'm not sure they've used to the Differin face wash yet. Maybe just something gentle.

Melaine
03-15-2021, 10:17 AM
Dermatologist. My 18 year old is still mad at me that I didn't take her to the derm at the first sign of acne when she was younger. When I did take her, they fixed it like magic. I never thought it was "bad", but she strongly disagrees. :)

This is what my husband said also because his cleared right up. On the other hand my derm did nothing to help my acne and I continued to deal with it through adult hood.

Moneypenny
03-15-2021, 10:23 AM
DD has really struggled with this over the last year (started right before shutdown). We started with OTC Differin because I think that's what most derms recommend to start with. That did nothing so between her pediatrician and the derm, she's now done clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide, prescription strength Differin, various strengths/formulations of RetinA, and Yaz birth control. There's been really very little progress so I think accutane is the next step (we have another appointment this week). Even though she's still struggling with acne, she is happy to go to the derm. She likes the doctor and the nurse and they are both very compassionate, they make her feel good about herself, and they tell her this isn't hopeless and they will figure it out for her.

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2021, 10:39 AM
For an occasional breakout, those stickers that go over them are fantastic! Helps resist that urge to pick or pop. They clear up overnight and stay gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

ang79
03-15-2021, 11:34 PM
Dd1's skin was getting so bad and she did not want to go to a dermatologist (not really sure why, I think she was embarrassed). We tried Differn gel and then the facewash, plus many other OTC items and nothing seemed to help much. Finally ordered her Curology. She has been using it for about 3 weeks and while her forehead is still red and some little bumps, the big pimples seem to be diminishing, so fingers crossed that continued use will help. Hers seemed to get really bad once colder/dryer weather hit at the end of Oct./beginning of Nov. (she also gets bad exzema on her hands every winter and sometimes patches by her eyes and mouth, poor girl!)

khm
03-16-2021, 09:24 AM
This is what my husband said also because his cleared right up. On the other hand my derm did nothing to help my acne and I continued to deal with it through adult hood.

I do believe sometimes, some of us are tough cases. (I know I was.) But, I wish I'd have had a derm in her corner earlier instead of stumbling around with OTC stuff that never helped. I never felt my daughter's acne was too bad, but today's standards are much higher than my teen years.

It still takes time, she had to try Differin for a number of weeks before she got the "magic" stuff that worked for her. It's changed over time and she's slid into different regimes easily. Insurance has generally covered everything, too, so we probably saved a great deal of money!

calebsmama03
03-16-2021, 02:30 PM
Curology. When they use it consistently it has worked wonders. I like that there's a medical consult involved and they can get the formula changed as needed.

mom2binsd
03-16-2021, 02:54 PM
I would go to a dermatologist, we have had great success and everything was covered by insurance (I know one person had issues with coverage) but it's often cheaper than paying for other products. Curology is good for folks who don't have access to see a dermatologist, but it's not like their products aren't available to dermatologists.

My DD had terrible acne very young and our dermatologist was wonderful.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jgenie
03-16-2021, 04:22 PM
DS1 has quite a bit of acne. We’ve tried the OTC face washes without any luck. I ask DS if he’s washing morning and night. I’m not sure how often it’s actually getting done though. We’re heading to the dermatologist week after next. I’ll post back once we go.