PDA

View Full Version : Moderna Kid Trial Recruiting

MSWR0319
03-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Just saw this morning that Moderna is now recruiting for their "KidCove" trial for ages 6 months to 11.

Here's the link if anyone is interested.

https://connect.trialscope.com/studies/0e8fc8e6-5782-46fd-8b03-0994a5ad8b41

On a positive note for our teens, I just read an article where one of the study sites near me for the Pfizer vaccine for 12-15 year olds just unblinded their patients and gave those who got the placebo the shot. That has to be good news if they gave it to those that didn't get it!

twowhat?
03-16-2021, 10:07 AM
Just saw this morning that Moderna is now recruiting for their "KidCove" trial for ages 6 months to 11.

On a positive note for our teens, I just read an article where one of the study sites near me for the Pfizer vaccine for 12-15 year olds just unblinded their patients and gave those who got the placebo the shot. That has to be good news if they gave it to those that didn't get it!

If this is true, this is FANTASTIC news and might even mean the vaccine for 12-15yo could be authorized a bit sooner than we think?!?!?!

MSWR0319
03-16-2021, 10:36 AM
If this is true, this is FANTASTIC news and might even mean the vaccine for 12-15yo could be authorized a bit sooner than we think?!?!?!

I hope it's true too! It does seem to match up with what I heard from my friend who lives in another part of the state. Her pediatrician was conducting one of the trial sites and he told her that he was expecting an approval by late Spring/early Summer for this age group. The site that just unblinded got shots in arms in October and I think was one of the first sites to start the trial from what I've read so hopefully others are finishing up and we'll get data soon.

twowhat?
03-16-2021, 10:41 AM
I hope it's true too! It does seem to match up with what I heard from my friend who lives in another part of the state. Her pediatrician was conducting one of the trial sites and he told her that he was expecting an approval by late Spring/early Summer for this age group. The site that just unblinded got shots in arms in October and I think was one of the first sites to start the trial from what I've read so hopefully others are finishing up and we'll get data soon.

I've been keeping an eye on this study's primary completion date on the clinical trials government website - right now it shows Aug 3 (which rough matches with your friend's pediatrician's "early summer" guess) but these dates can change depending on how the trial is progressing - it can move forward OR back. And the "up-to-date-ness" of this information depends on the companies/entities sponsoring the study to provide those updates. I am guessing Pfizer and BioNTech are eager to make sure updates are provided in a timely fashion. SO, if I see this date move up from Aug 3, I will be SUPER EXCITED.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04368728

JustMe
03-16-2021, 02:51 PM
Thanks for posting! I am so looking forward to getting my 15 year old vaccinated whenever that is!

ArizonaGirl
03-16-2021, 04:34 PM
I just put in my 8 year old's data.

We shall see if she gets chosen!

California
03-16-2021, 05:47 PM
Just a note of caution: I got the vaccination a couple of weeks ago and have had ongoing side effects that I have never experienced before. It threw my body off balance. I joined an online group for people who took the same vax type and while we are most definitely a very small minority, it's clear there are side effects that are not in the standard lists provided by the media. People are sharing that they are experiencing, for example, ongoing pain, headaches, joint issues, and blurriness in one eye. I've experienced moments of blurry vision, and am having ongoing issues with vivid dreams, insomnia, moments of light headedness, and (probably from the insomnia) deep fatigue. This all started right after I got the vaccine and I'm still dealing with it. I've got a call into my doctor but hopefully by the time they can fit me in it will all be resolved.

All of my extended family members who've gotten the vaccine only had the typical short term side effects. But now I'm second-guessing having my kids get the vaccination when it first becomes available. I'm planning on waiting until we have more data. I was so relieved and happy to get the vax. I'm still grateful to have gotten it and to have some protection when I am back in the classroom with students. But this has been a much harder experience than I anticipated!

klwa
03-17-2021, 06:39 AM
Just a note of caution: I got the vaccination a couple of weeks ago and have had ongoing side effects that I have never experienced before. It threw my body off balance. I joined an online group for people who took the same vax type and while we are most definitely a very small minority, it's clear there are side effects that are not in the standard lists provided by the media. People are sharing that they are experiencing, for example, ongoing pain, headaches, joint issues, and blurriness in one eye. I've experienced moments of blurry vision, and am having ongoing issues with vivid dreams, insomnia, moments of light headedness, and (probably from the insomnia) deep fatigue. This all started right after I got the vaccine and I'm still dealing with it. I've got a call into my doctor but hopefully by the time they can fit me in it will all be resolved.

All of my extended family members who've gotten the vaccine only had the typical short term side effects. But now I'm second-guessing having my kids get the vaccination when it first becomes available. I'm planning on waiting until we have more data. I was so relieved and happy to get the vax. I'm still grateful to have gotten it and to have some protection when I am back in the classroom with students. But this has been a much harder experience than I anticipated!

Sorry you've had issues, California! Have you reported your side effects through VAERS yet?

frugalmom
03-17-2021, 10:07 AM

Do you have a link to this study?

MSWR0319
03-17-2021, 10:54 AM
Do you have a link to this study?

This isn't the exact article I read (I couldn't find it), but this contains similar information. It says they estimate preliminary data to be ready in a month or two, so late April/May? That should put us at approval by Aug I would hope!
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2021/02/28/what-we-know-cincinnati-childrens-covid-19-vaccine-trial-adolescents/4576020001/

It also says on Cincinnati Children's website that the study has been completed but doesn't give any more information.
https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/patients/coronavirus-information/vaccines

JustMe
03-17-2021, 12:38 PM
It also says on Cincinnati Children's website that the study has been completed but doesn't give any more information.
https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/patients/coronavirus-information/vaccines

Wow, I wish there was some more info about the next steps! And I hope completed really means completed (as opposed to some stage of the study being completed and something else happening next; it does not give that impression in the article, but so little is being said about this).