PDA

View Full Version : Korean Dramas! Crash Landing on You (Netflix)

liz
03-16-2021, 10:10 AM
So, I've heard about Korean dramas and their popularity, but have never watched any until this past week. Well, I totally got sucked into a really good one and wanted to share with you all: Crash Landing on You

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10850932/.

I'd been watching a bunch of serious shows and I was scrolling Netflix for something different. Crash Landing on You is listed as a romantic drama, but I'd add romantic comedy to the description as well. I just found it so charming and lovely- it gave me all the feels lol. I honestly think it's one of the best things I've discovered during quarantine.

Anyone else a fan of Korean dramas?? Now I need some other suggestions for what to watch next, so please share!
:popc1:

MMMommy
03-16-2021, 11:11 AM
I loved Crash Landing On You! It really set a high bar and was so good. Excellent character development, engaging, and had me in tears.

Here is my Kdrama thread from February where others posted recommendations.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?510378&p=4390149#post4390149

I’ve seen: Boys Over Flowers, Inheritors, Legends of the Blue Sea, What’s Wrong with Secretary Kim. Cinderella and the Four Knights, Crash Landing On You, and Itaewon Class. Boys Over Flowers is a classic, and I really liked Legends of the Blue Sea, Crash Landing On You, and Itaewon Class. Inheritors and Cinderella are more meh, in my opinion. I’m on episode 8 of Descendants of the Sun right now. I’m hoping it gets better, as I don’t feel invested like I was with Crash Landing on You.

I’ve also seen a little of My ID is Gangnam Beauty and Rookie Historian.

Kdramas are so fun to watch, and admittedly, I’ve pulled some all nighters because I can’t stop once I’m near the end. They are quite addicting!

MMMommy
03-16-2021, 11:12 AM
Mods- please delete. Duplicate post.

liz
03-16-2021, 05:02 PM
I loved Crash Landing On You! It really set a high bar and was so good. Excellent character development, engaging, and had me in tears.

Here is my Kdrama thread from February where others posted recommendations.

https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?510378&p=4390149#post4390149

Kdramas are so fun to watch, and admittedly, I’ve pulled some all nighters because I can’t stop once I’m near the end. They are quite addicting!

oh, that's so coincidental that you posted a similar thread recently lol! I did a search on "Korean dramas" this morning and saw the last thread was in 2016. I didn't think to type in "K dramas" :D Great info on your thread, I'll definitely be adding those titles to my Netflix queue!

I've never heard of Viki, I'll have to look into that.

oh man, I'm still thinking about Crash Landing on You:love5:. I just finished the last episode last night. And yes, I too have stayed up watching "just one more episode" into the wee hours of the night! I love having a show that's just for me. We've been watching movies and series with the kids (or just DH) and sometimes I just want to watch my own thing. Crash Landing on You was just perfect for that.

question, do most romance KDramas typically have a happy ending? I don't need it to be a fairytale, but a few years ago I watched a Turkish romantic drama/ soap opera. It had about 48 hour-long episodes. When I got to episode 47 I realized that the annoying chick they introduced in the last 10 episodes was going to end up with the main male character. Like, they literally had the main female character sail away on a ship with another man. They broke up and said their goodbyes in the next to last episode (wtf). There was no way to "fix" that with one episode left. Holy crap was I pissed! Anyway, that one still stings lol.

dhano923
03-17-2021, 12:10 AM
I just watched Crash Landing on You a couple weeks ago, and have to say it's one of the best shows I've watched. I had been putting it off based on what a friend told me (she's into k-dramas too) but I regret listening to her!

Not all K-dramas have happy endings. CLOY was nice in that sense. I posted some of my favorites on the other thread MMMommy shared above. :)

dhano923
03-17-2021, 12:11 AM
double post

MMMommy
03-17-2021, 01:16 AM
I've never heard of Viki, I'll have to look into that.

Forgot to add that I just finished Cheese in the Trap, before starting Descendants of the Sun.

I really do think Crash Landing On You is a cut above the rest.

Viki will open a whole library of Kdramas for you! Just download the Viki app and start watching! I only watch the free version of Viki and not the two paid versions. There are two paid versions where you eliminate ads and have access to even more shows. The free one, however, has lots to offer, and plenty of popular Kdramas. So far, I find the ad interruptions to be tolerable enough to not pay just yet. But in time, I might cave and get the premium. So I watch whatever I can on Netflix and others on Viki.

Not all end happily ever after, but I think most probably do. I've found that some do have ambiguous endings. I'm not a fan of ambiguous endings. I want resolution.

My fav actors so far are Lee Min Ho and Park Seo-Joon. Cha Eun-woo is such a cutie--he's in Kdramas and in the KPOP group Astro. FWIW, I love BTS! Bring on the Kdramas and the KPOP!

JustMe
03-17-2021, 01:04 PM
Are these generally funny? Dramatic? Romantic? All of these? I havent watched any, but if I start something here and expose my teens to it, I may not have the choice to stop.

liz
03-17-2021, 05:49 PM
I just watched Crash Landing on You a couple weeks ago, and have to say it's one of the best shows I've watched. I had been putting it off based on what a friend told me (she's into k-dramas too) but I regret listening to her!

Not all K-dramas have happy endings. CLOY was nice in that sense. I posted some of my favorites on the other thread MMMommy shared above. :)

I took your suggestions and put them on my Netflix queue, thanks!

I really do think Crash Landing On You is a cut above the rest.

Viki will open a whole library of Kdramas for you! Just download the Viki app and start watching! I only watch the free version of Viki and not the two paid versions. There are two paid versions where you eliminate ads and have access to even more shows. The free one, however, has lots to offer, and plenty of popular Kdramas. So far, I find the ad interruptions to be tolerable enough to not pay just yet. But in time, I might cave and get the premium. So I watch whatever I can on Netflix and others on Viki.

Not all end happily ever after, but I think most probably do. I've found that some do have ambiguous endings. I'm not a fan of ambiguous endings. I want resolution.

My fav actors so far are Lee Min Ho and Park Seo-Joon. Cha Eun-woo is such a cutie--he's in Kdramas and in the KPOP group Astro. FWIW, I love BTS! Bring on the Kdramas and the KPOP!

Thanks for the info on Viki, that's really helpful! I agree, I don't like ambiguous endings either :thumbsdown:
I'm looking forward to be introduced to new actors. My DH wondered if it's like British TV/Movies where you seem to see a lot of same actors show up in all sorts of projects.

Are these generally funny? Dramatic? Romantic? All of these? I havent watched any, but if I start something here and expose my teens to it, I may not have the choice to stop.

ok, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I learned just last night that Korean dramas encompass all sorts of genres. I honestly thought they were all romantic drama/soap opera/comedy. Looking at Netflix last night, there are all sorts of genres- serious, gripping, teen, mystery, historical, medical etc. Netflix gives a brief description of each show, so that will help you narrow it down.

I was going to add in my OP that I though Crash Landing on You would be appealing to teens and pretty family friendly. Obviously check out the show description, but it looked there were tons of shows to pick from.

JustMe
03-18-2021, 12:49 AM
Thanks for all the info, liz!

liz
03-18-2021, 07:18 PM

You're welcome! I hope you and your teens find something good to watch :) Please share if you do!

MMMommy
03-18-2021, 11:23 PM

Once you get on board the Kdrama bus, there is no stopping it! It's addicting!

MMMommy
03-18-2021, 11:23 PM
Duplicate. Is the site glitchy? It keeps posting my posts twice!

dhano923
03-18-2021, 11:40 PM

There's a lot that would appeal to teens. The Heirs/The Inheritors is a good one (the name is different on Netflix versus Viki). Cinderella and the Four Knights, and Strong Woman Do Bong Soon are others. True Beauty was great (Viki) and set in high school. It's a newer show.

MrsZaz
03-19-2021, 11:12 AM
Trying to watch Crash Landing on Netflix. Is there a way for the audio to be in English? I have the English subtitles but hear them speaking and the subtitles don't match up. For example, they'll show a train moving through the countryside, no subtitles but I hear someone speaking. Any help is appreciated.

MMMommy
03-19-2021, 01:43 PM
Trying to watch Crash Landing on Netflix. Is there a way for the audio to be in English? I have the English subtitles but hear them speaking and the subtitles don't match up. For example, they'll show a train moving through the countryside, no subtitles but I hear someone speaking. Any help is appreciated.

I didn't think there was a dubbed version. I watched CLOY with English subtitles. The subtitles/sounds matched up with the scenes when I watched. Can you login and logout to see if that changes anything? Or tweak the subtitle settings to sort of reset it and then try again? It's hard not to love CLOY! Good luck!

liz
03-19-2021, 07:11 PM

I agree with MMMommy, I would try to close out of the app (or update the app depending on your device) and restart it. I watched it with English subtitles and didn't notice any lag or issues. I hope you can figure it out!

dhano923
03-19-2021, 08:25 PM

I have been watching subtitled movies and shows on Netflix for years and Viki since last year and haven't had an issue.

I am not aware of any of the Korean shows being dubbed in English, but I actually prefer watching my k-dramas and c-dramas in the original languages because you can hear the intended tone of what they are saying. I always feel dubbed shows/movies lose some of the feel. Subtitles can take some getting used to for some people, but once you get the hang of it, you don't even realize you're reading as opposed to listening.

Also, if anyone is looking for a good Japanese drama to watch, check out Atelier on Netflix. It's sort of like a Japanese The Devil Wears Prada. I watched it 3 years ago, but I really enjoyed it.

dhano923
03-19-2021, 08:25 PM

I have been watching subtitled movies and shows on Netflix for years and Viki since last year and haven't had an issue.

I am not aware of any of the Korean shows being dubbed in English, but I actually prefer watching my k-dramas and c-dramas in the original languages because you can hear the intended tone of what they are saying. I always feel dubbed shows/movies lose some of the feel. Subtitles can take some getting used to for some people, but once you get the hang of it, you don't even realize you're reading as opposed to listening.