PDA

View Full Version : "Spoiling" Books and Movies?

bisous
03-16-2021, 06:50 PM
Curious about your feelings... what about the idea of spoiling a book ahead of time on purpose?

So I have this book series that I really like and get excited about. It is SUPER intense for me though. (Side note, I'm a super wimp about intense stuff) The next book in the series is available at the library. I have half a mind to read a summary first and then I'd be more able to enjoy the book? Is that crazy? Anyone ever done this? DH HATES spoilers so he thinks this is insane! What prompted this is that I had actually read the first book in this series 5 years ago for book club. I remembered the way it ended but not all the little details. I got back into the author's works so I wanted to reread this and just finished a second reading. It was SO much more enjoyable than the first read through! The story is cool, but dang the intensity level really gets to me. Sometimes when I read page turners I end up just reading the whole thing but these books are almost 900 pages (and I don't have that much time) so it is like 2 weeks of being on edge.

Anyone ever do this?

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2021, 06:54 PM
I’ll pull up a movie summary while watching a movie if I’m stressed out. I watched the movie “Room” by watching the last 20 minutes first because I knew the stress would get to me. Whatever works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

bisous
03-16-2021, 07:03 PM
I’ll pull up a movie summary while watching a movie if I’m stressed out. I watched the movie “Room” by watching the last 20 minutes first because I knew the stress would get to me. Whatever works for you.

And it makes it more enjoyable, right? It doesn't "spoil" it?

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2021, 07:03 PM
And it makes it more enjoyable, right? It doesn't "spoil" it?

Yep! [emoji4]

PZMommy
03-16-2021, 07:20 PM
I do the same thing, but for me it is ice skating. Out here we rarely get the competitions live. It's always tape delayed. I enjoy the event much more if I know the results before I watch.

Globetrotter
03-16-2021, 08:07 PM
That would make me crazy lol
I hate to know in advance and it was a bit stressful when I used to go to parties -remember those days?- and people
Would be talking about a book or movie I planned to read. It’s definitely one of my quirks lol

mommy111
03-16-2021, 08:17 PM
I always watch the last episode of a serial first. I don't even watch it until the seasons are done. eg gossip girl, watched last episode of the last season and then started at season 1 ep 1
I always read the last chapter in a book first
i read summaries of movies on wikipedia before starting
it makes the art and craft of writing so much more enjoyable for me, I can enjoy the humor, I can appreciate the nuance, i can emotionally connect to the right people. it is like being in on a secret with the author/actors/dorectors
I would never read a book cold any more
besides, i have kids, i can't afford to be like an addict on edge for several days while i wait to finish. this is exactly why i refuse to even watch any new series until at least one season is complete
you're in good company :hug5:

doberbrat
03-16-2021, 08:22 PM
As long as you're not spoiling it for other people, I dont see the issue. I often 'preview' books before I read them (by skimming for plot lines etc). For sure I read the summary. Sometimes I look for reviews and spoilers. Sometimes not.

I dont think its weird or wrong of someone to do it or not do it. As long as its not a 'I cant believe JR died' headline before everyone has had the chance to watch the show..... whatever makes you happy :grouphug:

BDKmom
03-16-2021, 08:23 PM
My grandmother used to always read books by reading the first chapter, then the last chapter, then the rest of the book. If it works for you, go for it.

I can’t do it, though. I enjoy the feeling of being so anxious to see what happens next. Sometimes I cover the right page while I read the left so that my eyes don’t accidentally jump ahead. [emoji4]

Tenasparkl
03-16-2021, 08:47 PM
As long as you're not spoiling it for other people, I dont see the issue.

I agree. If you feel like it'll make it more enjoyable for you then go for it.

I hate spoilers, but obviously some people don't mind them. I hate when people rush off to social media after they watch something to spoil it for other people. I don't care about the Grammys at all, but we recorded them the other night and watched with a little delay. Right before the last award I got a NY Times news alert with the big winners listed. It wasn't a big deal to me, but it ruins all the fun of the surprise!

trales
03-16-2021, 08:52 PM
I always read the last chapter when I get stressed. I enjoy it more then. This is one of those situations, where you just need to do what you like and enjoy it!!!

klwa
03-17-2021, 06:35 AM
I'm the world's worst for reading the last page first, just so I know if everything's going to be okay. :)

Liziz
03-17-2021, 10:03 AM
Do it! Read in whatever way is most enjoyable to you! I don't usually read books intense enough to need to do this, but I have done it on occasion. I definitely do it with movies that might be super intense (normally not my thing but sometimes the subject matter is interesting or DH wants to watch it) and it allows me to enjoy it more. But regardless, I'm a big fan of "read whatever makes you happy, however makes you happy" kind of person. There's no wrong ways to read!

Now most importantly - I can't believe no one has asked yet....what is this book/series??? I love to hear what other people are reading!!

bisous
03-17-2021, 11:40 AM
Ok! I read the plot last night, lol. I think I can now dig in and see how it unfolds. This is book 2 in a six book series so if I don't love knowing what happens in advance, then maybe I won't preread the next book!

For those asking, I got turned on to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson while browsing through the Libby app. I listened to the whole Way of Kings series. Those are like 50 hour audiobooks, lol! There are 4 books in the series and something like 6 more coming down the pipeline. It is high fantasy but the world building is interesting and the characters are really well written.

Then I went back to the Mistborn series (same author) which is what I'm reading now. I read the first one for book club and while I found it fascinating it was SO stressful to read! It is in an imaginary world with very high stakes. I left the series because I wasn't sure I could get through the rest of the books! Having just finished the last of the Way of Kings books though, I listened to the first Mistborn book again and enjoyed it a lot more.

Incidentally, the Skyward series by the same author is much more accessible. I introduced DS2 to the series and he devoured book 1 and book 2 in days.

nfceagles
03-17-2021, 03:49 PM
I always watch the last episode of a serial first. I don't even watch it until the seasons are done. eg gossip girl, watched last episode of the last season and then started at season 1 ep 1
I always read the last chapter in a book first
i read summaries of movies on wikipedia before starting
it makes the art and craft of writing so much more enjoyable for me, I can enjoy the humor, I can appreciate the nuance, i can emotionally connect to the right people. it is like being in on a secret with the author/actors/dorectors
I would never read a book cold any more
besides, i have kids, i can't afford to be like an addict on edge for several days while i wait to finish. this is exactly why i refuse to even watch any new series until at least one season is complete
you're in good company :hug5:

[emoji33] That just ain’t right! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
03-17-2021, 07:36 PM
Curious about your feelings... what about the idea of spoiling a book ahead of time on purpose?

So I have this book series that I really like and get excited about. It is SUPER intense for me though. (Side note, I'm a super wimp about intense stuff) The next book in the series is available at the library. I have half a mind to read a summary first and then I'd be more able to enjoy the book? Is that crazy? ...

Anyone ever do this?

It's not my style, but if it improves your reading experience, I say go for it!

I'd get more frustrated if someone else were to learn I was reading a series, acknowledge that I'm on X book, and then tell me not only what happens in X book, but also in Y and Z before I got there myself.

LBW
03-17-2021, 10:20 PM
I loved the Mistborn series! Enjoy!

I hate spoilers so much that I don’t even read full summaries of books. I only read a few sentences of the summary - enough to know if I’m interested or not. I just love experiencing the story “cold.” That said, what matters is that you do what will help you enjoy the story. Doesn’t really matter if other people think it’s weird or it would “spoil” it for them.

truly scrumptious
03-18-2021, 08:26 PM
Ok! I read the plot last night, lol. I think I can now dig in and see how it unfolds. This is book 2 in a six book series so if I don't love knowing what happens in advance, then maybe I won't preread the next book!

For those asking, I got turned on to the Sci-Fi/Fantasy author Brandon Sanderson while browsing through the Libby app. I listened to the whole Way of Kings series. Those are like 50 hour audiobooks, lol! There are 4 books in the series and something like 6 more coming down the pipeline. It is high fantasy but the world building is interesting and the characters are really well written.

Then I went back to the Mistborn series (same author) which is what I'm reading now. I read the first one for book club and while I found it fascinating it was SO stressful to read! It is in an imaginary world with very high stakes. I left the series because I wasn't sure I could get through the rest of the books! Having just finished the last of the Way of Kings books though, I listened to the first Mistborn book again and enjoyed it a lot more.

Incidentally, the Skyward series by the same author is much more accessible. I introduced DS2 to the series and he devoured book 1 and book 2 in days.

Brandon Sanderson is good! I don't have advice about the deliberate spoiling (in fact, I entered this thread ready to get mad at someone else for deliberately spoiling a book for you! :bouncy: ) But if you like high fantasy and world-building, try Robin Hobb. Truly immersive world-building and amazing character development.