PDA

View Full Version : Unmasked soccer? Updated

flashy09
03-16-2021, 08:25 PM
My husband and I got our first vaccine this weekend and my state has very low numbers now. 3.8% positivity rate. However, I took my daughter to her first soccer practice and it was unmasked. I assume games are unmasked too.

How risky is this if I masked my daughter? The studies I read regarding child to child or child to adult transmission rates all seem to say different things.

Thank you.

I just updated on page 4 of this thread. A new variant has been detected here, not U.K, South Africa, or Brazil and it infected many vaccinated residents of a nursing home. 30% of the vaccinated were symptomatic and one person is hospitalized (vaccinated). Does that change anything?

wendibird22
03-16-2021, 08:35 PM
Outdoors? I’d be fine with being unmasked. My 11yr old daughter played soccer outdoors in sept/oct unmasked and it was fine. She’s currently playing indoors and they are masked. My 13yr old played modified soccer for school this fall and they were required to be masked. Same for basketball which she’s currently playing. So school requires masks but clubs/rec don’t. My kids are fine either way (they don’t complain if they have to wear a mask for sports). I think if it would make you feel more comfortable if she wears a mask then it is fine for you to require it. But I also think given low infection rates that outdoor sports are safe to do without masks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babyonway
03-16-2021, 10:10 PM
DDs spring outdoor soccer is not requiring masks (same league didn’t require a mask last Fall either). DD wears an N95 to practices and games (her choice) but the other girls don’t and it’s been fine last Fall and this spring (for DD and others)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2021, 10:41 PM
Mine did unmasked soccer and the fall and will again soon. Masks when not on the field though.

jennilynn
03-16-2021, 11:05 PM
We’ve allowed outdoor sports (without masks) for our kiddos. I’m comfortable with it.

JBaxter
03-17-2021, 06:25 AM
We’ve had unmasked soccer since last August. I’ve never seen a kid with a mask on in Amy of the practices games or tournaments

nfowife
03-17-2021, 07:00 AM
Our team encourages masks during play but not required. They are required by the league on sidelines and for spectators. My son wears an athletic mask to practice and play. He’s 14. I’d say it’s been about 50/50 across the league.
This is in Northern Virginia.

gymnbomb
03-17-2021, 08:05 AM
DS did outdoor soccer in the fall. Masks were required when not playing, but were not required when actively practicing/playing. A couple of kids wore them anyway. I don’t love it, but I am ok with it as long as rates are low in the area and they don’t seem to be doing a lot of things like huddling up unmasked. Coaches and spectators are masked the whole time. Both kids will play with the same organization this spring and I am assuming rules will be the same.

Philly Mom
03-17-2021, 08:39 AM
This had been interesting to read from this group. I would have thought everyone here would be very conservative about this.

I didn’t let DD2 play soccer this fall because the kids were unmasked while playing. There were reports that youth sports were some of the biggest driver of Covid spread. As a result, around mid-late November, our governor mandated mask wearing even while playing. So now DD2 will play soccer again. I will be very unhappy if they change that rule. I want to keep our schools open, it seems like it is a minor thing to have the kids wear masks while breathing near other kids.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2021, 09:01 AM
This had been interesting to read from this group. I would have thought everyone here would be very conservative about this.

I didn’t let DD2 play soccer this fall because the kids were unmasked while playing. There were reports that youth sports were some of the biggest driver of Covid spread. As a result, around mid-late November, our governor mandated mask wearing even while playing. So now DD2 will play soccer again. I will be very unhappy if they change that rule. I want to keep our schools open, it seems like it is a minor thing to have the kids wear masks while breathing near other kids.

Indoor sports (except swimming) seemed to be the problem, from what I gathered from reports.

Philly Mom
03-17-2021, 09:04 AM
Indoor sports (except swimming) seemed to be the problem, from what I gathered from reports.

This was the fall and not indoor sports.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2021, 09:07 AM
This was the fall and not indoor sports.

Interesting. I must have missed those. I still felt (mostly) comfortable. The kids are older and able to spread out better so that helps- not like when they’re little and all cluster around the ball. Ds2 would often choose to wear a mask.

MSWR0319
03-17-2021, 09:25 AM
My kids have played outdoor soccer both last fall and again starting a few weeks ago. They are not masked during play/practice but at all other times. DS2 wears his mask at all times and has convinced another teammate to do the same. He’s the covid mask enforcement police 🤣. I’m sure people think we’re nuts since he also wears a concussion band along with his mask. DS1 is old enough to know to stay as far apart as possible. I will say though that I’m a bit nervous for next week, as almost everyone is in Florida this week living it up for spring break. Even being outside close freaks me out unmasked not knowing what everyone is bringing back.

wendibird22
03-17-2021, 10:01 AM

That's interesting that's happening in your area. In my job I have twice monthly meetings with our county health department and in our area there has been no COVID spread as a result of school or youth sports. Spread is happening among school-aged kids from hanging out indoors outside of school, carpooling, sleepovers, parties. It's not happening in schools or sports/dance/theater.

KpbS
03-17-2021, 11:28 AM

I hadn’t seen any reports to this effect, although I know football in our area was very much effected by and drove school outbreaks. All youth soccer in our area has been unmasked since last summer and is gearing up again. We didn’t participate but did XC instead with masking for the initial 200 yards in races and during the warmups and waiting.

Kindra178
03-17-2021, 11:40 AM
We didn’t do masks in rec soccer in the fall. Now they are required here. I think it’s pretty stupid. Outside and limited contact. I watched how basketball required masks. Never on right, really hard on the kids for running purposes. And cleaning a soaking wet mask after a hs basketball game is so gross.

hbridge
03-17-2021, 01:36 PM
I would not allow my child to participate in sports inside or outside without a mask unless the participants were all at least 6 feet apart (outside only). I am really surprised that this is even allowed!

JamiMac
03-17-2021, 01:45 PM
We do not do masks for baseball. They have them off the field. Basketball had masks and students were spaced out on the benches. I’m fine with no masks for outdoor sports.

carolinacool
03-17-2021, 01:53 PM
We didn’t do masks in rec soccer in the fall. Now they are required here. I think it’s pretty stupid. Outside and limited contact. I watched how basketball required masks. Never on right, really hard on the kids for running purposes. And cleaning a soaking wet mask after a hs basketball game is so gross.

Right. DS, 11, plays basketball and our state is requiring masks for all sports indoors and out -- school, rec and travel/club. When he played winter league at the Y, they were pretty strict making sure they were on correctly, although halfway through the season they added several mask breaks. We went to our first AAU tournament of the season this past weekend, and there you basically just need to have one hanging on your head somewhere. DS' team played four games, but I only packed two masks, so we had to let them air out between games. So gross.

To the OP's question: masks would be required here for soccer, but I would be fine without one.

ged
03-17-2021, 03:01 PM
DD1 went back to school soccer yesterday and I was feeling a bit uneasy. Good to hear everyone's perspectives. We are in So Cal, and at least as of now, kids are required to mask at all times. I know the coach mentioned hoping to not have to mask during the actual games, and I was a bit concerned. All outdoor games/practices.

nfceagles
03-17-2021, 03:42 PM
My sophomore played HS soccer last fall. Unmasked when on the field, masked everywhere else. I was nervous at first and it’s probably the riskiest thing we’ve allowed but we had no cases between JV and Varsity. We had several kids miss several games due to quarantines. My DS asked to play indoor soccer, masked I think, over the winter, but we said no. Our football team didn’t manage to finish their season last fall due to cases but I don’t know if those were due to on the field transmission or transmission between teammates outside of school and football. The football team was always upset and throwing fits and protesting about the impact of COVID on their sport so I kind of got the impression their was a cultural difference of sorts between the soccer team and them.

The youth sports cases I heard about last fall were usually tied to hockey or tournaments where players were gathering in hotels outside of the actual games. My state suspended interstate sports due to those outbreaks.

smilequeen
03-17-2021, 05:42 PM
We made it through hockey season without an outbreak. Every outbreak I know of from sports was not from the sport but from related activities...team dinners, parents gathering around before and after, etc. Mine wore masks until the helmet went on and as soon as it came off and when my youngest sons team did team dinners we opted out. I was worried that the other parents could start an outbreak on that team. Otherwise, we followed all guidelines and let our kids play and I’m so glad we did. It made a huge difference for them.

Everything I read seemed to indicate similar. Not so much the sports but if you let your guard down and don’t adjust the surrounding activities, you are taking a risk. My teens had strict coaches...my youngest not so much but we followed our own rules and skipped activities.

I would not blame someone else for skipping it though. Everyone has different choices to make and different circumstances. Our family is really low risk to begin with. So we made our choices of what risks were worth it. We skipped so much else to give our kids that opportunity.

AngB
03-17-2021, 06:35 PM
So this is younger but DS3 (5) has played indoor soccer since January without a mask and been fine. Granted, he's going at 9:30 on Fridays (his day off from preschool) but there weren't any incidents. Now we were doing it on weekday evenings (I hate soccer taking up part of our off day when we could do other stuff) but DH is really uncomfortable with how crowded it is and last night said he counted 20+ people with no masks (spectators- none of the kids playing are wearing them). (There's no mask mandate in our state/county but there is a sign on the door.) Then again, my best friend's kid (8) has been playing indoor soccer all fall and winter at the same place- all athletes unmasked- and hasn't even so much as been quarantined (while my kids have all been quarantined from school exposures but masked.) I'm fairly comfortable with 5yo DS going though and I'm vaccinated so I don't mind taking him but wish DH wouldn't take him since he's not vaccinated.

bcafe
03-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Outdoor year round soccer (well, started 2020 in June) for 2 boys and winter HS soccer for 1. Unmasked during play and masked while sitting. No transmission of disease amongst the boys and coaches. We are perfectly fine with this setup.

sf333
03-17-2021, 09:38 PM
There’s an outbreak in MN happening now and youth sports have been cited as a source for spread. The UK variant (B117) is more contagious and is spreading through the US. I think masks are more important now than ever.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/variant-spreading-among-youth-sports-in-minnesota.html

bcafe
03-17-2021, 10:52 PM
There’s an outbreak in MN happening now and youth sports have been cited as a source for spread. The UK variant (B117) is more contagious and is spreading through the US. I think masks are more important now than ever.
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/athlete-safety/variant-spreading-among-youth-sports-in-minnesota.html
Interesting, however, this is not about outdoor soccer.

bcafe
03-17-2021, 10:52 PM
Interesting, however, this is not about outdoor soccer.

essnce629
03-18-2021, 12:53 AM
DD1 went back to school soccer yesterday and I was feeling a bit uneasy. Good to hear everyone's perspectives. We are in So Cal, and at least as of now, kids are required to mask at all times. I know the coach mentioned hoping to not have to mask during the actual games, and I was a bit concerned. All outdoor games/practices.

DS2 is signed up for spring soccer starting next month. I just assumed it would require masks at all times, which I prefer. We're in LA, where we just finally made it to Red Tier on Monday after a full year of strict lock down, so I don't think there will be anything without masks for a long time. DS1 just started back at Kendo (outside) and rock climbing (inside) this week and both require masks at all times.

niccig
03-18-2021, 02:48 AM
DS2 is signed up for spring soccer starting next month. I just assumed it would require masks at all times, which I prefer. We're in LA, where we just finally made it to Red Tier on Monday after a full year of strict lock down, so I don't think there will be anything without masks for a long time. DS1 just started back at Kendo (outside) and rock climbing (inside) this week and both require masks at all times.

Mask inside the Kendo men? And with tenugui on, you won’t see anything but his eyes!!

Melaine
03-18-2021, 06:49 AM
Yes my kids have loved getting back to soccer and I have loved that it's outdoors with no masks. But we take a lot more risks than most of you guys it sounds like.

JBaxter
03-18-2021, 08:34 AM
As I said before we started back in August with soccer no masks a few changes to were parents sit but not many Our league has not had any “super spreader” team events or had any games cancelled I’m guessing 10-20% of the parents wear sideline masks none of the boys have since ??? Maybe October. Our kids have had the option for in school learning and all youth sports have been open in school league and rec levels all year.

SnuggleBuggles
03-18-2021, 09:01 AM
One of the rec teams we played had to cancel in the fall due to cases. After that, that team cracked down on masks, especially coaches and spectators. They were the only field that had a huge banner hanging in the parking lot re. mask rules and telling parents that wouldn’t comply to stay in their cars. Our team was already following those guidelines so not a problem.

flashy09
03-18-2021, 01:50 PM
So this maybe adds a twist? We just had a nursing home outbreak in our state of a variant and it infected many vaccinated residents and one vaccinated person is in the hospital. I tell myself that maybe it's a 95 yr old with such frail health that any virus would put him/her in the hospital, but it's a little nervewracking! It's not one of the common variants (article said not U.K, Brazil or South Africa) and 30% of the vaccinated have been symptomatic at the home.

MSWR0319
03-18-2021, 02:11 PM
So this maybe adds a twist? We just had a nursing home outbreak in our state of a variant and it infected many vaccinated residents and one vaccinated person is in the hospital. I tell myself that maybe it's a 95 yr old with such frail health that any virus would put him/her in the hospital, but it's a little nervewracking! It's not one of the common variants (article said not U.K, Brazil or South Africa) and 30% of the vaccinated have been symptomatic.

This is certainly a bit unsettling for the US since we're in the midst of spring break! Since it's outside, I would currently be ok with her playing if she's masked. We just got an email that practice for both kids next week will be indoors because the fields aren't ready. DS2 will wear his mask with no issues. DS1 is almost 13 and he doesn't want to wear his because no one else is. I really think I need to make him since pretty much the whole team has been in Florida and TX for spring break.

sf333
03-18-2021, 02:54 PM
So this maybe adds a twist? We just had a nursing home outbreak in our state of a variant and it infected many vaccinated residents and one vaccinated person is in the hospital. I tell myself that maybe it's a 95 yr old with such frail health that any virus would put him/her in the hospital, but it's a little nervewracking! It's not one of the common variants (article said not U.K, Brazil or South Africa) and 30% of the vaccinated have been symptomatic at the home.

Can you post a link to the article?

westwoodmom04
03-18-2021, 03:16 PM
Both my kids have played their club sports (soccer and lax) without masks since last summer with no cases of covid on either team, at least so far. They have to wear masks for school athletics.

The two cases of spread I am aware of were at indoor swimming practice and indoor basketball game (where there was spread despite players wearing masks).

westwoodmom04
03-18-2021, 03:22 PM
Both my kids have played their club sports (soccer and lax) without masks since last summer with no cases of covid on either team, at least so far. They have to wear masks for school athletics.

The two cases of spread I am aware of were at indoor swimming practice and indoor basketball game (where there was spread despite players wearing masks).

I’ll add masks required to/from field and all spectators have to be masked and distances. For a while this winter, there were no spectators allowed but now we are back to one spectator per player and no siblings.

Kindra178
03-18-2021, 03:37 PM

This piece addresses indoor sports (except alpine skiing, which didn't cause any spread). Indoor sports have increased spread.

These kids have lost so much. Let's get back to playing sports!

essnce629
03-18-2021, 04:21 PM
Mask inside the Kendo men? And with tenugui on, you won’t see anything but his eyes!!

They are not practicing with men yet (they only had 1 practice with 4 people so far) and they are doing no contact for now. DS1 hasn't reached the level to wear men yet anyways.

AngB
03-18-2021, 05:02 PM
Can you post a link to the article?

I'm not the op but I was curious and googled for it (just "variant nursing home" ) and came up with this, https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/covid-variant-spreads-among-kentucky-nursing-home-residents . Even though some vaccinated people did have symptomatic covid it does seem encouraging that it's less severe. (4 unvaccinated residents hospitalized vs. 1 vaccinated.)

mmsmom
03-18-2021, 06:28 PM
DS is currently playing outdoor tennis on a school team and masks are required, even when playing singles. It’s a rule for all sports in the independent school league and I believe for public schools as well. In the fall and winter there were no spectators for most games, even outside. For spring sports we are allowed to attend with masks strictly enforced.

mom2binsd
03-19-2021, 01:47 AM
I'm not the op but I was curious and googled for it (just "variant nursing home" ) and came up with this, https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/view/covid-variant-spreads-among-kentucky-nursing-home-residents . Even though some vaccinated people did have symptomatic covid it does seem encouraging that it's less severe. (4 unvaccinated residents hospitalized vs. 1 vaccinated.)Interesting, as a healthcare worker in a nursing home, it sounds like they had probably let down their guard given that it spread almost instantly to so many, usually it spreads a little more gradually. Some states have eased up restrictions and this is really devastating to them.

I think concern for kids playing sports outdoors is very different from covid spread in a nursing home setting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

flashy09
03-19-2021, 09:46 AM
Interesting, as a healthcare worker in a nursing home, it sounds like they had probably let down their guard given that it spread almost instantly to so many, usually it spreads a little more gradually. Some states have eased up restrictions and this is really devastating to them.

I think concern for kids playing sports outdoors is very different from covid spread in a nursing home setting.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's so sad, nursing home visits were literally just starting to be allowed! Our restaurant capacity just went up to 60% capacity as well and bars can stay open until midnight as of yesterday. I hope this variant is not going to be widespread.

I am torn about this soccer because at some point with most of our family and friends either fully vaccinated or one dose in, I do want to start living more again. I think the chances of my daughter getting it and spreading it to anyone at risk are very low and I am not sure this risk level is going to change much for the next year. She is 7 so who know when/if she will be vaccinated and variants will probably be around from here on out.

On the other hand, her school is so ultra careful and they are masked at outside recess. So I feel guilty to undermine their efforts if she gets it or is exposed and quarantines the class (or worse spreads it...but they have not had any in class transmission) - except EVERYONE at school seems to be traveling internationally, getting together in groups, traveling together.....so my trying to "do the right thing" seems pointless.

I wish this would just be over.

zukeypur
03-22-2021, 02:28 PM
May kids have done outdoor soccer, cross country, and tennis outdoors with not transmissions that I am aware of. Soccer and XC are unmasked, tennis is masked. They players wear masks on the sideline and when they are huddling, and XC wore masks at the start but took them off as soon as they spread out. Spectators are expected to wear masks, but since our fabulous governor lifted the guidelines (even though the soccer association has not), very few parents complied this weekend at the game. Luckily it was insanely windy.

ezcc
03-22-2021, 03:58 PM
This is of course total anecdote, so probably not very useful but DS was playing basketball (unmasked) outside with a group of friends- one tested positive the next day, but not a single one of the others had any symptoms or tested positive after (and they were all tested, some more than once). These are high schoolers. And basketball is more close contact than soccer. I do think outdoor transmission just doesn't happen that often.

KpbS
03-22-2021, 04:07 PM
I’d sign her up and let her play.

jgenie
03-22-2021, 04:21 PM
It sounds like you would prefer she not play unmasked. It’s perfectly acceptable to not have her play. I’m sorry you’re stuck in the middle.

mom2binsd
03-23-2021, 12:15 AM
My kids played hockey this year, began in the fall and had a brief time in Nov when the Governor shut everything down, no practices etc. Neither of the kids teams has a had an outbreak related to the team, a few kids (like my DS who got Covid from my XH) but luckily it was not during any time he was near kids so there was no transmission on our team of 13/14 year old boys or on DD"s girls team of 15-19 year olds. Masks were required in the dressing room (and only allowed 15 min in there, not the usual 30 min they take to socialize). They had to travel to tournaments out of state to play and stayed in hotels, again, none of the kids or parents ended up with Covid all season (and I know many of them were not that careful). I didn't go until I was vaccinated and it was just a few weeks ago to see her play in her last tournament. Again masks in hotel common areas, but the girls were hanging out in rooms unmasked when they were eating/snacking (they are always eating!).

Outdoor sports here at school they have to wear a mask during play (soccer/baseball/lacrosse) so far, we'll see as our state seems to be moving fast to stage 5 due to rapid vaccine distribution. DD just got an app't for hers as a city worker (she works at the rink), but anyone 16 and over will be eligible April 12th to get vaccinated.

I would think soccer is so spread out, and if she will wear a mask it should be fine, I would also be ok unmasked for soccer.