PDA

View Full Version : Bread Recipe that makes good SANDWICHES?

bisous
03-18-2021, 11:52 AM
My kids love cheap white bread. I get it. It is soft and holds together well! I'm looking for a better option for them! I've been playing around with some (really) easy bread recipes during the pandemic. I also have a bread machine.

Anyone figured out a recipe that makes a good SANDWICH bread? I guess I'm looking for something that really holds together well and is tolerated by picky children, lol!

In case anyone hasn't tried it, my favorite bread recipe that I've tried is also the easiest. I feel like everyone made this, primarily during the first few months of the pandemic, but if you haven't tried it here you go!

3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp yeast
12 oz water

Mix dry ingredients. Add water. Stir with the handle of a wooden spoon just until combined and there's no more dry flour. (It doesn't need to look good at all!)

Leave on the counter (covered) for 8- 24 hours (I've done less and more and it still works!) Flour the counter and shape loaf (rolls, round, baguette). Let rest for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450. Bake for 30 min. Cool for 5-15 more.

Liziz
03-18-2021, 01:45 PM
Although it definitely doesn't seem like good 'ole squishy white bread, my kids love this bread for sandwiches, especially PB&J's.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/back-of-the-bag-oatmeal-bread-recipe

I often substitute 1 of the three cups of flour in the recipe for 3/4 cup ground almond meal and 1/4 cup ground flax, and use olive oil instead of butter - this makes it a little less fluffy/airy, but my kids like the taste better that way.

bisous
03-18-2021, 01:49 PM
Although it definitely doesn't seem like good 'ole squishy white bread, my kids love this bread for sandwiches, especially PB&J's.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/back-of-the-bag-oatmeal-bread-recipe

I often substitute 1 of the three cups of flour in the recipe for 3/4 cup ground almond meal and 1/4 cup ground flax, and use olive oil instead of butter - this makes it a little less fluffy/airy, but my kids like the taste better that way.

Thanks! I'll give it a try! :)