PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a phone/app to take a passport photo?

JustMe
03-20-2021, 07:47 PM
The kids need their passports renewed and I would rather take their photos as home. We have the following phones. Google pixel 2, iphone 7, iphone XR. Any recommendations on how to best do this? Thanks

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2021, 08:07 PM
I think the instructions are on the passport website. But we went to a store like Walgreens or CVS and it was the simplest, quickest in and out task. I know you are very careful but this is a very low risk thing especially if you call ahead to ensure availability. Ds2 was in the store a whopping 3 minutes. :) i stayed while it printed and I paid. I might have been inside 7 minutes. It was worthwhile to know we got it done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

gymnbomb
03-20-2021, 09:08 PM
We had our kids both taken at the post office when we submitted their applications. Since you have to go in person for kids anyway, it wasn’t an extra trip anywhere. It was very convenient and we will do the same when we get DS’s next one. It is expired now, but we won’t go anywhere we need it until next year so we are holding off on it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
03-20-2021, 09:09 PM
We went to Costco. It was super easy and cheap

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ahisma
03-20-2021, 09:16 PM
Yep. We used some app that was made for passport photos to take DH's. I used CVS for the boys and the post office for me. The app was much easier and better than either of those. CVS kept on cutting off the top of the boys' heads, I literally had to teach the post officer worker how to use the camera...and even then it was blurry.

Go figure - all were accepted.

Twin Mom
03-20-2021, 09:17 PM
If you are a AAA member it’s free depending on which level membership you have.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2021, 09:50 PM
We had our kids both taken at the post office when we submitted their applications. Since you have to go in person for kids anyway, it wasn’t an extra trip anywhere. It was very convenient and we will do the same when we get DS’s next one. It is expired now, but we won’t go anywhere we need it until next year so we are holding off on it for a while.

Last summer we got ds2’s passport done at the same post office we had ds1’s done at the year before. In summer 2020 they weren’t doing photos. That’s why we ended up at the neighboring store to have it done. That worked at USPS was so rude, like I should have known they weren’t doing photos because of the pandemic. But, easily resolved.

niccig
03-20-2021, 10:24 PM
DS got his passport photo at CVS back in January. He had to take his mask off and I told him to not breathe for that time. It was quick

StantonHyde
03-20-2021, 10:47 PM
ditto on having a "pro" do this. I was amazed--we went to the county clerk's office to get the passports and they were taking them there if you didn't have photos with you!

AnnieW625
03-20-2021, 10:54 PM
We had ours originally done at Costco and the background was wrinkled so the passport office didn’t accept them. We paid $15 to have them done at the passport office and it was easy; yes way more expensive that way but they were done quickly. Costco closed their photo departments back in January.

mom2binsd
03-21-2021, 01:30 AM
I don't think this is a do it yourself thing, is there a reason not to go to a place like cvs or Walgreens to get it done?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gymnbomb
03-21-2021, 07:45 AM
Last summer we got ds2’s passport done at the same post office we had ds1’s done at the year before. In summer 2020 they weren’t doing photos. That’s why we ended up at the neighboring store to have it done. That worked at USPS was so rude, like I should have known they weren’t doing photos because of the pandemic. But, easily resolved.

How annoying! I guess this has become like everything else these days where you have to call ahead of time to find out what the rules of the day are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmsmom
03-21-2021, 10:08 AM
I’m pretty sure with kids you have to physically go to passport office for a new or renewed passport. So since you have to go anyway I would get picture taken there. When we last went there were things like you have to show one ear and can’t smile... it is difficult to do and get right lighting, size and print on your own. If they don’t offer at passport office then go to CVS, FedEx, UPS store, etc.

JustMe
03-21-2021, 12:21 PM
Thanks everyone. Last time we had the photos taken at Costco, but I am not sure if my Costco is doing that right now and really don't want to drag the kids there anyway. I do think the office where we need to get the passports is doing photos, so I guess we will just get them done there.

squimp
03-21-2021, 03:13 PM
We have done ours at home in the past, following the instructions is key. Even a little pattern in the background can cause problems.

Our most recent ones we had to re-take DD's at the post office. I know there was a fee, but she had to come in anyway so could you do it in the office?

twowhat?
03-22-2021, 09:36 AM
I did this for my own passport. You have to follow the instructions on their website carefully and also have a good printer that can print on photo paper at home, and be willing to spend lots of time tinkering to get it "just right". Once you have the photo just right (I guarantee you will waste lots of photo paper LOL), then you have to cut it out - very carefully!

Any iPhone or Pixel camera is capable of taking a good picture - the key is in the lighting. Really good lighting against a white wall without casting shadows. Ideally you want a bright light behind the camera as well as one off to the side to prevent shadows. Halogen lamps + a window that lets in a lot of light (but not direct sunlight) work well.

Anyway, mine turned out fine and didn't get rejected or anything but it was a bit of trouble!

If you decide you need to go somewhere to do it, I don't think Costco does passport photos anymore since they got rid of their photo centers so you'd have to do a Walgreens or post office or similar. Our post office will take and print passport photos for an additional fee, and will do it at the same appointment that you make to process a passport application.

I'm always a little iffy on the drugstore passport photos since it can depend on the person taking it, but generally those things are set up to pretty automatically take a photo that fits all the requirements and you could go first thing when they open to avoid other people.

LD92599
03-22-2021, 10:05 AM
After several failed attempts at home, and the crazy long password wait times, I honestly wouldn't take the risk doing it at home. I sprung for the extra cost to have the pic taken at the passport office or the USPS where we did the application.

Zansu
03-22-2021, 07:27 PM
We do ours at home. We'd already done it for DS's university ID. Given how terrible the photos are for my passport and GT, I think the bar is set very low.