PDA

View Full Version : Would you feel comfortable at a NCAA tournament game?

MSWR0319
03-21-2021, 09:28 AM
DH just discovered that there are tickets available for a NCAA tournament game he wants to see. He feels it's covid safe because they are spreading people out by a row and a few seats plus required masks. I'm not comfortable but I'm much more cautious in general than he is. DH has been very good (much to my surprise) about covid restrictions but I feel he's starting to get covid fatigue and doesn't really think things through. Would you feel comfortable going? The idea of sitting in a stadium with other people freaks me out, but if I'm overreacting I'll deal.

georgiegirl
03-21-2021, 09:44 AM
I’d need to see pics of the spectator setting before I decided. Personally, I would never go (even without covid since I hate crowds). I couldn’t make a decision unless I saw how spectators were actually handled. How distanced are spectators? Are the spectators being good about mask wearing? Are people taking off masks to eat and drink?

My state is very lax, and I’ve seen pics of (supposedly distanced) spectators at the state wrestling tournament...and no way would I let anyone in my family go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SnuggleBuggles
03-21-2021, 09:46 AM
Probably not because its indoors. I think the NCAA will do a good job on crown management and mask enforcement though.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

jgenie
03-21-2021, 09:53 AM
I’m a definite no. I’m dying to get back to the theater but can’t see being comfortable until we have a better handle on all the variants circulating.

JBaxter
03-21-2021, 10:02 AM
Us? Yes we would go we have tickets to the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey game in April.

gymnbomb
03-21-2021, 10:03 AM
Probably not. The only way I would consider it is if he were vaccinated and wearing a mask 100% of the time (meaning no eating or drinking) or if he weren’t vaccinated I would want him wearing an N95/KN95/similar mask 100% of the time. Even then I would be nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd
03-21-2021, 10:39 AM
I know someone who went on Friday and they said it was very well spaced out. I would go to but I am more comfortable than most on this board doing things.

From what I've seen in TV they aren't letting people be close together and masks are mandated in the spectator seating.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

erosenst
03-21-2021, 11:31 AM
I’ve seen pics from a couple of friends. (We are local.) Interesting the pics have been taken by people who have been cautious. At least the early games are WAY spaced out, mask wearing is enforced etc. The vaccination rate here is higher than some places.

Would I go? No. If DH (fully vaccinated + 2 weeks) wanted to go it’s not a hill I would die on though. Huh now that I type that - is your DH vaccinated? I’m on my phone and can’t easily check.

smilequeen
03-21-2021, 11:36 AM
I’m more comfortable than most here too. If masking and distancing are enforced, I will generally do things. We’ve been going to hockey games, but that may be even more distanced as they only sell 1400 tickets here. So I’d be OK as long as things are truly being enforced. This is what a hockey game looks like for us...

carolinacool
03-21-2021, 12:10 PM
I would go for sure. DS has been playing basketball in places that are way smaller than college arenas.

I’ve been watching the tournament pretty much nonstop since Friday, and from what I can tell everyone is pretty spaced out. I think that any groups that are together have slid over to be together.

AnnieW625
03-21-2021, 01:34 PM
Yes I would. I watched Syracuse vs. SDSU on Friday night and things looked very distanced. I would go if I had the opportunity.

SmileQueen....that looks amazing! I am so bummed the remainder of the LA Kings games against Arizona are mid week because I would seriously have thought about going if they were on a weekend in May.

o_mom
03-21-2021, 03:23 PM
Which venue? I would feel more comfortable with Bankers life or Lucas Oil vs Hinkle or Farmers. Mainly based on the size and age of the venue. I don't have a great feel for Mackey or Skojdt.

For us personally, being just a few weeks from fully vaccinated, I would probably pass. We are trying finish strong and not regret letting up just a tiny bit too soon.

MSWR0319
03-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Thanks all! He told me he wanted to take the kids who are obviously not vaxed. He and I have only had one dose. I was trying to find pictures of how well spaced they really were and found a few articles about how the tournament game isn't so bad, but more the people gathering outside all around the stadium. We'd have to spend the night since it's a late game and a longish drive. I'm sure the hotels are packed, which is a no for me. So the kids and I decided that we aren't going, and since we aren't going, DH said he doesn't want to go. I feel bad cause I think the kids would enjoy it, but it's not worth it at this point for me. We're so close to the end.

ETA: It was at Lucas which is the one I would be the most comfortable with, but I'm just not there yet.

Smilequeen - Thanks for the picture! I would be comfortable with that set up! I think the seats are closer together than those though.

Kindra178
03-21-2021, 07:33 PM
Yes! My friends went on Friday. I have another friend who has been there all week because he’s associated with the team.

DualvansMommy
03-21-2021, 08:22 PM
For me; it would be a no. I’m the only one who’s vax. I vetoed on DH and boys idea of staying at a waterpark over spring break. Can’t believe dh thought it’s even remotely ok to go. However they are going tubing which I’m comfortable since it’s a ticketed event and crowd controlled, plus outdoor event. I’m al for anything that is outdoor activity or event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

carolinacool
03-21-2021, 08:40 PM
Yes! My friends went on Friday. I have another friend who has been there all week because he’s associated with the team.

My school, UNC, got bounced like a pingpong ball on Friday. Lol But The games have been so good. I would be happy to watch any of them! I wouldn’t have an issue at all taking my 11 year old. But like a few people have mentioned, our family has been moving around a little bit more than some others.

JamiMac
03-21-2021, 09:57 PM
I would have gone. Great opportunity to see those games. They seemed spaced really well. DD2 played in a club volleyball tournament two years ago at Lucas Oil stadium. It’s really big and open.

wendibird22
03-22-2021, 12:46 PM
I have a friend who was at Hinkle Fieldhouse yesterday. He said it was very well run, very spaced out (spectators were seated in upper deck) and mask compliance was very good (which is great considering Indy/IN hasn't been great with covid protocols). My friend is not vaxed and felt comfortable in the venue.

Corie
03-22-2021, 02:53 PM
I would go to but I am more comfortable than most on this board doing things.

I would go too!

MSWR0319
03-22-2021, 04:52 PM
So funny story. We went to the zoo today. When we went into one of the buildings, DH says "Um....I think I can really do without being in an indoor area with people." It was a huge area and there were maybe 20-30 people at the most. They were counting at the door and stopping if capacity got to the 20% they are allowed. No one was anywhere near us and everyone was masked. I just chuckled to myself wondering how he would have handle a basketball game if he had decided to go.