PDA

View Full Version : Please share teen trends in your area!

elbenn
03-22-2021, 10:48 AM
The last time I asked a question about VSCO trends, this board was really helpful and people shared a lot of trendy things in their area. I need to get some ideas for birthday gifts, but also, I just enjoy seeing what things are trending.

Trends I have noticed:

Crocs (mainly white crocs) --this trend has been around for awhile but kids are still wearing them
Oversize shirts and short shorts
Baggy crop tops
Bubble popper fidget toy
Curly "tik tok" hair for boys (boy perms are becoming a thing again)

I read that New Balance shoes are the hot trendy sneakers, but I haven't noticed those being a trend yet.

mmsmom
03-22-2021, 10:57 AM
I read that New Balance shoes are the hot trendy sneakers, but I haven't noticed those being a trend yet.

Interesting... I bought DS New Balance about 6 months ago and I was told New Balance is for old people so I had to send them back. Maybe I was just ahead of the trend!

DD has a thing about denim color... it has to be really light wash denim. I have had to donate so many perfectly fine pairs of jeans and jean shorts because they are “too dark”.

I think all the trends these days are from Tik Tok since there hasn’t been much school for trends to be established.

DD is into Squishmallows... just when I thought we were over stuffed animals.

twowhat?
03-22-2021, 11:02 AM
There are a bunch of articles out there (including one in the NY Times) about the popularity of Squishmallows, which is hilarious! Apparently they are a bit Tik Tok/teen social media thing and Squishmallow sales have increased SO much over the pandemic that they are having trouble keeping up with demand. Just yesterday at our local Kroger I saw a shelf of picked-over Squishmallows with a sign limiting purchasers to 2. Buying them online now is difficult, and prices on discontinued or hard-to-find Squishmallows are crazy. They are calling the phenomenon the Beanie Babies of Gen Z or something like that...

SnuggleBuggles
03-22-2021, 11:03 AM
I have no clue. :) Even if ds1 weren’t away at college he never cared about trends (though he did ask for Crocs once). Nothing’s in person to really have an opportunity to see anything. Ds2 appears as uninterested as his brother in stuff too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=87652)

AnnieW625
03-22-2021, 11:16 AM
Mom of almost 15 year old DD1. We live in the inland area of So Cal.

Dd1 would die if New Balance shoes became trendy! She wore them almost exclusively from the time she was 2 until she was in middle school; her school had really strict shoe rules (could only be white, black, blue, brown or grey....no other colors on the shoe) plus she has flat feet so she has always needed support. So for about 6 years of elementary she was in a New Balance 990 shoes (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/new-balance-womens-990v5-shoes-19nwbw990v5gryxxxftw/19nwbw990v5gryxxxftw?sku=21283853&camp=CSE:DSG_92700050511055321_pla_aud-878140242411:pla-293946777986&segment=&gclid=CjwKCAjwgOGCBhAlEiwA7FUXkoXsgjP58Ea6PUcDVIrn 1Vd7YLD_t7za5rSOtW5pQkKKgq53fThkbRoC0w0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds) (the clunkiest NB shoe out there!). She tried Adidas, Converse, and Nike as well but always went back to NB. In middle school she finally settled on Vans with insoles, but really would’ve preferred the basic Fila’s she wore everywhere else but they had blue and red on them so she couldn’t wear them to school.

Baggy jeans (high waisted with cropped but non skinny legs) are popular here with girls. I haven’t noticed too many oversized t shirts, but DD1 loves oversized sweatshirts from American Eagle, H&M, or Target. Oversized crop tops are popular as well, but DDs still go to the top of her jeans (DH has said no midriff crop tops and DD1 is okay with that).

I have only seen one kid (about 8) with one of those fidget popper boards toys (when we were standing in line at a store). I thought about getting one for DD2 who is almost 11, but haven’t yet and tbh I don’t think they are popular with older teens.

Hydroflask and the like water bottles with stickers are still popular here, although DD1 keeps hers sticker free most of the time. Dd2 uses a Tupperware water bottle and is happy with it.

No idea about boys hair styles.

My kid isn’t really into trends....she is the only kid I know with a pair of Allbirds (she chose because they were plain). She won’t wear Nike Air Force Ones because every teen age girl has them in white; DD2 has the kids version that are black with a gold swish.

ETA: Dd1 has one pair of the high waisted baggy jeans and tbh they look a little better now that she has grown about 2” since she got them last summer and she has gained about 5lbs. She still also wears skinny jeans with and without holes though. She has parted her hair in the middle for pretty much her entire life; she was a Dora clone until she decided to grow out her bangs when she was 6. Both my girls look better with middle parts (I ditched my middle part in 1994 and haven’t looked back).

Also I haven’t noticed too many teens wearing crocs but they seem to be a trend with grown men and college aged men here again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgiegirl
03-22-2021, 11:32 AM
Agree with Annie on the baggy, high waisted, cropped jeans. DD has a couple of pairs. She wears them with cropped tops. I’m not a fan of the look, but [emoji2368]

Center parted hair

Nike Air Force 1 shoes. Vans shoes.

Big sweatshirts and sweat pants.

Hydroflasks are still popular

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

smilequeen
03-22-2021, 11:48 AM
I only have boys and they just don't care about trends, so I have no clue. LOL. Mine want to wear athletic clothes all the time (but they have a dress code for school so at least they look nicer for that).

The girl trends I see are very throwback to a not so great fashion time that I can still remember. It cracks me up.

LD92599
03-22-2021, 12:12 PM
Curly "tik tok" hair for boys (boy perms are becoming a thing again)

This is hysterical! DS1 has been growing out his hair since the start of Covid - he's always had a buzz cut and I've NEVER taken him for a hair cut. Ever! He has the MOST gorgeous red, curly hair!!!!!!!!!!! I love it!

Globetrotter
03-22-2021, 12:25 PM
Recently it was Mom jeans!!! Lol

wendibird22
03-22-2021, 12:39 PM
Yes to the Nice sneakers...DD1 is oogling over a pair of pink/mauve ones. But at $150 I can't stomach that...maybe for her birthday.

Crocs...just bought the girls (11 and 13) new pairs. Was in DSW this weekend and they have a HUGE display at the front of the store of all things Crocs-traditional, sherpa lined, sandals. But they wear them as sport slides, with their soccer socks or to bball practice, they don't wear them as regular all day footwear.

Birkenstocks-popular for another year which makes me happy because I live in Birks. I'd wear them even if not trendy but hey, bonus if I can be trendy too.

Boxy crop tops...11yr old is into these, the 13yr old not so much.

Balayage hair highlights...blonde gets lighter the further down the hair you go. Keeps you from getting the outgrowth line at the roots. DD2 saved up her xmas and birthday money and paid to get her hair balayaged this past weekend. It's super cute but super expensive because she has long hair and a lot of it.

Reversible octopus plush-both girls have and love them. they are two-toned and one side smiles and the other side frowns.

ray7694
03-22-2021, 04:59 PM
Nike air jordans which are impossible to get due to resellers.

Nike Air Force 1

College name sweatshirts with turtleneck

Birks

Jeans MUST have holes and the bigger the better

Piercing second hole of ears

Nature like rooms. Succulents, lights, boho

carolinacool
03-22-2021, 05:34 PM
Nike air jordans which are impossible to get due to resellers.

My 46-year-old self is dying for a pair of Retro 1s and I'm this.close to throwing down $300 for a pair. https://www.goat.com/sneakers/wmns-air-jordan-1-retro-high-og-aurora-cd0461-100?utm_source=google_int&utm_medium=google_shopping_int&utm_campaign=11551954535_111796929839&utm_content=477369526964_&utm_term=193658009676&gclid=CjwKCAjwgOGCBhAlEiwA7FUXku2KaSfBu226cZTeFJf4 xEh1J-dRCfAeZWEpVgTREqwktnlnfVnpIBoCcpgQAvD_BwE

The Crocs trends is alive and well here. DS plays basketball and none of the kids wear sports slides anymore at tournaments between games. And he throws his on whenever we run errands. But he's an 11-year-old boy. I don't know anything about high-waisted cropped jeans...

♥ms.pacman♥
03-23-2021, 10:49 AM
-tiedye tops, hoodies with pale colors (light pink, light blue, etc). to me this is the most obvious one - everywhere!
-sloths (my dd has become especially obsessed with sloths)
-oversize sweatshirt/hoodies
-cropped hoodie
-boxy crop tops
-hydroflasks
-crocs

gamma
03-23-2021, 11:18 AM
Boxy crop tops and cropped hoodies. Light jeans with large holes. I see shirts with a red rose. Also eyebrow slits. I’m not sure if the eyebrow slits are exclusive to the LGBTQ community. DGSs are in 11th and 12th grade. One says everyone is doing it and the other, who is gay says LGBTQ. So now I’m curious, does anyone know?

bisous
03-23-2021, 11:40 AM
I'm seeing a lot of these. Loose light colored denim (with holes), crop tops, baggy t's, white shoes. I've seen a lot of this for several years now. I might add that my teens appear to be allergic to public opinion so this is just looking at the teenagers that I see in public when I rarely exit my home for some shopping/exercise, lol!