PDA

View Full Version : WWYD Covid 19 vax for DC

KpbS
03-25-2021, 09:27 PM
I got a text and then an email notifying me that DC meet the vaccine requirements. This is my DC that has multiple food allergies. DC also has some other long term health concerns. I was thinking today before the text wondering if he should get the vaccine with the new mrna technology or the more traditional Johnson and Johnson one.

Also this DC is the only one in our family to test positive for Covid, about 2 months ago.

WWYD? Thoughts?

mmsmom
03-25-2021, 09:30 PM
What does his Dr say? Personally I would talk to his Dr and his allergist and then decide.

SnuggleBuggles
03-25-2021, 09:32 PM
Agree with pp to discuss with Dr. but I would be inclined to take any vaccine available. I am comfortable with all of them though I would prefer not Moderna because it seems to be causing more unpleasant (temporary) side effects (and I'm a wuss).

MSWR0319
03-25-2021, 09:46 PM
I echo speaking with his doctor who know his health problems. My son has severe anaphylactic allergies to cashews and peanuts. I spoke with his allergist about DS participating in a clinical trial with Moderna for the 12-15 year olds and he was perfectly fine with it. He actually encouraged if if DS wanted to do it. His son also helped devloped the Pfizer vaccine and felt they were safe for almost anyone. He said they are not seeing any indication that food allergies are causing any problems with reactions to the shots. They think it's either the PEG in the shot or possibly some Mast Cell issues that were never diagnosed. He is at a big university where they are constantly doing studies and watching things like this.

I volunteered at a mass vaccine clinic today and was talking with one of the nurses. She said the only people they are making sit 30 minutes instead of 15 were people who had allergic reactions to medicine (and only if it was a severe reaction) or people who have reacted to shots in the past. You do not have to wait 30 minutes because you have a food allergy. They run about 1500 through a week and have been at it since mid Jan I think, with no severe reactions.

When it's approved my son will be getting it with the blessing of his allergist.

Just know that his reaction to the first shot may be more severe since he did have covid. They are seeing stronger side effects in many people with the first vaccine if you had covid. I had some people in my observation group though who had covid, still didn't have their smell back, and had no side effects with the first shot, so it's really a crap shoot as to how you react I think.

mom2binsd
03-25-2021, 10:13 PM
My DS is 15, so a bit young for current vaccine, and he has severe peanut/egg allergies. He's never had a severe reaction, but based on numbers from bloodwork he has an epipen if needed, but we don't even really carry it. Our ped/allergist also said if available he was fine to get it based on what has been seen with food allergy people getting vaccinated.

JustMe
03-26-2021, 01:31 PM
Agree with talking to his doctor; if the doctor says its a go, I would do it. My understanding is that it is recommended unless you are allergic to something that is specifically in the vaccine.